Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

new app Virsyn Harmony eight

Comments

• @oat_phipps said:
    Yes I did all those things mentioned above. 'Not nearly as offensive' is not good enough. Oh well, $7 down the drain. Disappointments happen. I'd refund it if i hadn't already got 2 in the last week. Bad streak of luck.

@dvlmusic said:
    I'm surprised that so many folks here think that this app is terrible. I can see where some may take issue, but I think it's far from awful. I bought it knowing that others had sought returns as I don't have a direct need for something like this, but it is really fun and I can see myself using it somewhere.

Not criticizing others opinions, simply expressing my surprise that there is such a strongly negative response to it is all.

My negative response is that I bought the app to create harmonies (as in the app's title), and the sound quality was not usable for this purpose. When I queried it, the dev said it was 'mono only' and then amended the store description. No indication it would be changed, and after a tempo update I gave up and asked for a refund.

Since then there's been a 'poly' update, so it may have improved, but judging by @oat_phipps review it doesn't sound it's improved by much.

• Let's hope this thread doesn't do the 'personal attacks against people with a different opinion' thing again.

• Four legs good.

• @oat_phipps could you upload a drum loop with a single delay ? Curious if you came into a bug or something since can't hear something wrong .

• Upon hearing all the negative reviews for this app I instead purchased Echo Pitch. I love it. It works great as an effect for an acoustic guitar. I haven't tried it on vocals yet, but I plan on giving it a go. This question is directed to anybody that has both echo pitch and harmony eight (especially those of you that have liked harmony eight). Will harmony eight give me anything (besides having 8 voices versus 4) that echo pitch isn't giving me?

• edited June 2017

@Philh0954 said:
    Upon hearing all the negative reviews for this app I instead purchased Echo Pitch. I love it. It works great as an effect for an acoustic guitar. I haven't tried it on vocals yet, but I plan on giving it a go. This question is directed to anybody that has both echo pitch and harmony eight (especially those of you that have liked harmony eight). Will harmony eight give me anything (besides having 8 voices versus 4) that echo pitch isn't giving me?

Yes, ' formant ' which is very useful for vocals . Plus ensemble fx
    Edit : I don't have the echo pitch app

• edited June 2017

@Korakios said:
    @oat_phipps could you upload a drum loop with a single delay ? Curious if you came into a bug or something since can't hear something wrong .

I just loaded Ruismaker , set all the harmony 8 levels to 0, and bypassed back and forth in AUM. The difference is night and day. The thump and the high end of ruismaker is demolished. Sorry, not worth uploading. If you're enjoying it, keep on truckin.

For comparison's sake and a laugh, the closest thing that came to my mind was the gap between a dial-up Real Audio streaming file and a wav.

• Reminds me of Queen - A Night at the Opera... the song layering

• @oat_phipps said:

@Korakios said:
    @oat_phipps could you upload a drum loop with a single delay ? Curious if you came into a bug or something since can't hear something wrong .

I just loaded Ruismaker , set all the harmony 8 levels to 0, and bypassed back and forth in AUM. The difference is night and day. The thump and the high end of ruismaker is demolished. Sorry, not worth uploading. If you're enjoying it, keep on truckin.

I am not trying to convince you, instead I respect your detailed answer. :)

Indeed the transients are flattened on poly mode , but it's noticeable without pitching. If I pitch shift up/down and blend the sounds I don't hear it .

My main concern is the artifacts when tweaking on the fly the delay time. I wanted some analog/tape delay emulation .

• edited June 2017

@oat_phipps said:

@Korakios said:

For comparison's sake and a laugh, the closest thing that came to my mind was the gap between a dial-up Real Audio streaming file and a wav.

Well I just fed this app with Ripplemaker via AudioShare. Turned off parametric EQ, ensemble and reverb, switched off all 8 delays and set dry / wet mix to 0%. Added a little gain with the dynamic processor and switched back and forth listening with and without Harmony 8 - no noticeable difference. Start adding delays and FX, gently increase the dry / wet mix and the sound springs to life. It works for me :)

• MIDI question:
    I could map a slider to a midi CC , but it does not react. It clearly picks the midi data since it displays the CC number but when trying to automate ,the slider doesn't respond .Any help?

• edited June 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Four legs good.

Four legs good, two legs better!

;)

• edited June 2017

Can anyone put up a demo that shows how good the new 'poly' version is? Opinion seems split down the middle with this app, so a clip with clean guitar going in - and coming out harmonised (not with all the knobs and effects turned to zero, that would be silly) and delayed would help the fence sitters make an informed choice.

Got to be guitar or clean synth chords though - mega distorted wobbly bass growls with no echo or fx applied don't count.

• Id really like to hear something like troublemaker or ripple maker sent through this effect

• @gsm909 said:
    Id really like to hear something like troublemaker or ripple maker sent through this effect

@gsm909 Here you go - listen when I switch off Harmony 8...

• Guitar loop from BeatHawk first 4 bars dry, 50/50 , last bars wet

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e22u25l3ecirfh9/Harmony Eight-trimmed-converted.m4a?dl=0

• @Trueyorky said:

@gsm909 said:
    Id really like to hear something like troublemaker or ripple maker sent through this effect

Nice example and a nice example.

• @Korakios said:
    Guitar loop from BeatHawk first 4 bars dry, 50/50 , last bars wet

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e22u25l3ecirfh9/Harmony Eight-trimmed-converted.m4a?dl=0

That's cool. I'm not certain it isn't doing something I couldn't fudge with a bunch of other things (which wouldn't end up the same but would be interesting none the less), but the first few bars had me waiting for the bass to kick in :)

• Drum loop from BeatHawk, 2 bars dry ,adding voices
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/wyrwj1vzm29syhe/Harmony8 drum.m4a?dl=0

• edited June 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Korakios said:

That's cool. I'm not certain it isn't doing something I couldn't fudge with a bunch of other things (which wouldn't end up the same but would be interesting none the less), but the first few bars had me waiting for the bass to kick in :)

Lol, no bass sorry ,it's just an example :)

Thanks @Trueyorky

• More drum examples on the new version ;)

• edited June 2017

@Korakios said:

That's better than before, but it's still glitchy, and I can hear the pitch going off a bit in places. With a longer delay and more pitch changes that'd be more noticable. Still not convinced, particularly compared to the clean repeats of Pitch Delay.

• @Trueyorky said:

@Trueyorky , thank you. Its payday on Friday

• @MonzoPro said:

@Korakios said:

That's better than before, but it's still glitchy, and I can hear the pitch going off a bit in places. With a longer delay and more pitch changes that'd be more noticable. Still not convinced, particularly compared to the clean repeats of Pitch Delay.

Lol, that was an 8 voice mix (some with much feedback, and different fine tuning) plus effects .
    Pitch is NOT going off unless you want to. Maybe someone else could upload a boring classic delay example of Harmony8.
    Consider 'Pitch Delay' as a different app and enjoy it ;)

• @gsm909 said:

@Trueyorky said:

@Trueyorky , thank you. Its payday on Friday

Lol happy days :)

• @Korakios said:

I went to listen to a Gamalan orchestra play the other day, and this doesn't sound too far off from that!..

• @Korakios said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Korakios said:

Lol, that was an 8 voice mix (some with much feedback, and different fine tuning) plus effects .
    Pitch is NOT going off unless you want to. Maybe someone else could upload a boring classic delay example of Harmony8.

I can hear the pitch drifting slightly, you need new ears.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Korakios said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Korakios said:

I can hear the pitch drifting slightly, you need new ears.

Ordered done , see you , sooooooon

PS. You missed the part where I wrote " ... some with much feedback, and different fine tuning. "

• @Korakios said:

PS. You missed the part where I wrote " ... some with much feedback, and different fine tuning. "

Or 'out of tuning' as I like to think of it.

It's awful, I don't know how anyone can think that's usable, unless it's in a track that deliberateyl sets ut to be wonky and lo-fi.