Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

new app Virsyn Harmony eight

Comments

• @Empolo said:
    New update just hit the App Store:

• Optional pitch shifting algorithm suited for polyphonic sounds.

• AUv3 parameters enabled.

I've only run vocals through this, but will be very interested to see feedback on this latest update from the folks who deemed the app a fail.

Yeah, I'd like to hear that feedback as well, although I followed some other peoples suggestions about picking up Echo Pitch instead. Great app after I figured out a workaround to getting it to work inside AUM. Not sure if anyone else had a problem with that, though.

• Any video for the new polyphonic version?

• @Philh0954 said:

@Empolo said:

I've only run vocals through this, but will be very interested to see feedback on this latest update from the folks who deemed the app a fail.

Yeah, I'd like to hear that feedback as well, although I followed some other peoples suggestions about picking up Echo Pitch instead. Great app after I figured out a workaround to getting it to work inside AUM. Not sure if anyone else had a problem with that, though.

I'm hoping to get Echo Pitch at some point - what were the issues/workaround with AUM?

• @MonzoPro said:

@Philh0954 said:

@Empolo said:

I'm hoping to get Echo Pitch at some point - what were the issues/workaround with AUM?

@MonzoPro I had an email conversation with the developer (Avi) and was told that using Echo Pitch in IAA mode requires that you launch EP first, before the host app. Well, for me it didn't seem to work that easy. I had to:

1- Launch AUM
    2- Load a channel into AUM (don't load anything into the channel)
    3- Launch EP outside of AUM
    4- Load your interface (I use an IConnect Audio4) into the AUM input slot
    5- Load EP into the AUM effect slot

It seemed to work well after I did all that. It also worked with no problems in Audiobus 3.

• @Philh0954 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Philh0954 said:

@Empolo said:

@MonzoPro I had an email conversation with the developer (Avi) and was told that using Echo Pitch in IAA mode requires that you launch EP first, before the host app. Well, for me it didn't seem to work that easy. I had to:

1- Launch AUM
    2- Load a channel into AUM (don't load anything into the channel)
    3- Launch EP outside of AUM
    4- Load your interface (I use an IConnect Audio4) into the AUM input slot
    5- Load EP into the AUM effect slot

It seemed to work well after I did all that. It also worked with no problems in Audiobus 3.

Thanks Phil. Quite a few apps can be fussy with loading sequences in AUM, but that does sound particularly finicky - hopefully the dev will provide an update.

• Bump. No video yet , anyone with an audio example (showing the new polyphonic mode)?

• rcfrcf
    edited June 2017

I'm glad I didn't ask for a refund. The new poly mode is excellent with guitar; the difference from the mono mode is very dramatic, and it also seems very clean, as pitchshifters go. Very, very pleased with the update.

The app is now a whole lot of fun; try the 'Go around' preset with 3 note guitar chords. Presets seem to be saved with their poly/mono status, so remember to switch the 'Go around' to poly mode before you try it. I'm going to be making lots of user presets with this :)

• @rcf said:
    I'm glad I didn't ask for a refund. The new poly mode is excellent with guitar; the difference from the mono mode is very dramatic, and it also seems very clean, as pitchshifters go. Very, very pleased with the update.

The app is now a whole lot of fun; try the 'Go around' preset with 3 note guitar chords. Presets seem to be saved with their poly/mono status, so remember to switch the 'Go around' to poly mode before you try it. I'm going to be making lots of user presets with this :)

where do you turn on and off poly mode? I've been loving this app already, i'm excited for the new polymode

• Harmony page, top and second from right, between pan and delay time; 'algo'.

• Would have loved it too if they'd said they were going to do this, instead of stating it was mono-only and subsequently changing the store description. Oh well.

Still, I'm enjoying Echo Pitch which does exactly what I wanted for less than half the price.

• Echo Pitch is very good; I wish it would let you set delay times in milliseconds as well as the timed subdivisions. Harmony Eight has more shift/delay lines but it doesn't have the delay routing matrix that Echo Pitch has. Loving Harmony Eight; now if only It had a modulation source or two, for some of it's parameters....

• @rcf said:
    Echo Pitch is very good; I wish it would let you set delay times in milliseconds as well as the timed subdivisions. Harmony Eight has more shift/delay lines but it doesn't have the delay routing matrix that Echo Pitch has. Loving Harmony Eight; now if only It had a modulation source or two, for some of it's parameters....

Four delay lines is more than enough for me - it just sounds mad with more than that, but I love Echo Pitch's delay routing - I built up a really big shoegaze ambient swirl using that, as well as the Durutti Column style grooves you can get going with the standard channels.

It'd be nice to see Echo Pitch developed further - the delay time tweak you mentioned for example, Link etc. but the big plus for me is the clean sound it produces from a guitar input, and the immediately usable presets.

• I agree that four pitch shifted channels is usually plenty. I'm finding a use for the extra shift/delay lines in Harmony 8 though. For each interval shift, I use a couple of extra channels with a few cents detune above and below the main shifted interval, and a few milliseconds delay. That plus the spacial/reverb placement, pan and level settings, makes for some huge thick sounds. If Virsyn included a modulation source or two it would probably be capable of Allan Holdsworth UD-Stomp style guitar pads.

• Bought it , the new poly mode is great :naughty:
    Of course the mono mode really shines on vocals and I like the formant algorithm.
    Only 'complaint' is that I'd love much better tape / analog emulation when you tweak the time knob. Since it's midi adjustable it's ready for heavy abuse

• Just picked this up for myself for Father's Day. So far I like it - didn't have any expectations, so no issues yet, just good fun. I've been pairing this up with iPulsaret (also a Father's Day gift to myself) for some massive weirdness.

Any tips and tricks/patches from others who've been messing with it?

Is there a place to download manuals for the Virsyn apps, or is all they have the little overlay?

• I'm also using Harmony 8 with iPulsaret; I'm getting some very rich pad like guitar sounds. Careful setting of the Harmony 8 ensemble effect adds further depth. I would still like to have the option of seperate modulation of the various individual pitch/delay parameters. Haven't stopped playing with it since the 'poly' setting update was added.

• I'd love to try out any iPulsaret/Harmony 8 combo patches you have. I spent a fair amount of my Father's Day with my headphones on making space noises. I'm not sure I came up with anything too musical, but I had a lot of fun.

• @dvlmusic said:
    I'd love to try out any iPulsaret/Harmony 8 combo patches you have. I spent a fair amount of my Father's Day with my headphones on making space noises. I'm not sure I came up with anything too musical, but I had a lot of fun.

I think there is no manual but if you tap the "?" symbol ,every function is explained.
    Don't forget to switch to 'poly' mode for synths ;)

• edited June 2017

Wow, I don't know how to put it lightly, so I'll just say this thing sucks. It's rare that I'm that severe, but after Bandshift and now this, I think I'll stay away from kooky Virsyn effects for a while.

Oh, how I should've heeded the 'audio quality sucks' warning. It's unbelievably bad.

• a very nice effect

• @oat_phipps said:
    Wow, I don't know how to put it lightly, so I'll just say this thing sucks. It's rare that I'm that severe, but after Bandshift and now this, I think I'll stay away from kooky Virsyn effects for a while.

Oh, how I should've heeded the 'audio quality sucks' warning. It's unbelievably bad.

After the update it seemed that the feedback was becoming a little more positive and was almost ready to jump in. Back on the fence for me.

• @oat_phipps said:

interesting.....did you try setting the algorithm from mono to poly on the edit page? maybe the audio your feeding it would work. better with a different algorithm in place.

• edited June 2017

A few things I learned:

1) Make sure the Mono/Poly switch is set correctly for the input type you're using.
    2) Turn down "Regenerations" to zero hear a more pure delay sound
    3) Turn off the "Ensemble" effect to hear a more pure delay

Those three settings really added to the digitized sound. Once I turned these off, it wasn't nearly as offensive.

Is the input into Harmony 8 mono? I was using a stereo arpeggiator into H8 and wasn't hearing both L & R channels. It sounded like I was only getting one side. Any thoughts?

• All good here - each to their own.

• rcfrcf
    edited June 2017

@dvlmusic said:
    A few things I learned:

1) Make sure the Mono/Poly switch is set correctly for the input type you're using.
    2) Turn down "Regenerations" to zero hear a more pure delay sound
    3) Turn off the "Ensemble" effect to hear a more pure delay

All good points. Remember that poly mode has to be saved with each patch; there is no global poly setting that I can see.

The ensemble is a great bonus effect but it needs dialling back a bit on many patches.

I would like to be able to use a numeric keyboard input for setting precise delay times. It's not easy to make accurate delay settings on my Mini using the current drag param value method. It became a really great and useful app for me, after the poly update.

• edited June 2017

I've read several reviews now that say to get the best sound, turn everything down to zero. And this is with the improved poly version. Which is just daft.

Don't regret getting a refund for this and swapping it for the pitch delay app - which just works without switching everything off, though I'd appreciate Apple giving me my cash back. Taking their time look.

• Yes I did all those things mentioned above. 'Not nearly as offensive' is not good enough. Oh well, $7 down the drain. Disappointments happen. I'd refund it if i hadn't already got 2 in the last week. Bad streak of luck.

• I'm surprised that so many folks here think that this app is terrible. I can see where some may take issue, but I think it's far from awful. I bought it knowing that others had sought returns as I don't have a direct need for something like this, but it is really fun and I can see myself using it somewhere.

Not criticizing others opinions, simply expressing my surprise that there is such a strongly negative response to it is all.

• @MonzoPro said:
    I've read several reviews now that say to get the best sound, turn everything down to zero. And this is with the improved poly version. Which is just daft.

Don't regret getting a refund for this and swapping it for the pitch delay app - which just works without switching everything off, though I'd appreciate Apple giving me my cash back. Taking their time look.

So this is not even good for vocals!?

• @dvlmusic said:
    I'm surprised that so many folks here think that this app is terrible. I can see where some may take issue, but I think it's far from awful. I bought it knowing that others had sought returns as I don't have a direct need for something like this, but it is really fun and I can see myself using it somewhere.

Not criticizing others opinions, simply expressing my surprise that there is such a strongly negative response to it is all.

+1

@marcuspresident said:

@MonzoPro said:

So this is not even good for vocals!?

It shines on vocals