Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

new app Virsyn Harmony eight

Comments

• @Jocphone said:
    Must say I'm torn on this now. The voices in the video sounded OK for a first listen but to have people saying it sounds dreadful is putting me off. Anyone care to push some other samples to soundcloud for comparison?

Hmmm...I would do, but as I've got a number of followers on SC now, might not be the best plan as they might think it's a proper thing.

My YouTube account is pretty barren though so if I get a chance I'll try and do something tomorrow.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:
    Must say I'm torn on this now. The voices in the video sounded OK for a first listen but to have people saying it sounds dreadful is putting me off. Anyone care to push some other samples to soundcloud for comparison?

Hmmm...I would do, but as I've got a number of followers on SC now, might not be the best plan as they might think it's a proper thing.

My YouTube account is pretty barren though so if I get a chance I'll try and do something tomorrow.

Thanks Monzo would be great to hear another side of it.

• The pitch detection seems to be from about F3 or higher. I've used it for voices and simple wave forms. Presets with long delays can be useful for effecting GeoShred using a very slow plucked playing style. Using the right sound sources and adjusting the wet/dry mix has been significant during my explorations.

• @VirSyn still waiting on the parameters of AudioEfx to be exposed to Au hosts :( starting to lose faith that you will ever do so :(

• edited June 2017

@MonzoPro said:
    Log into your account, and report a problem. Since there are obvious problems with this one, they shouldn't quibble.

Ah yes, cheers.

As you say, a shame. This looked so good. :'(

BTW, as I rarely ask for a refund, I don't remember Apple being so crafty. On the drop down there was an option for product loading but not performing as expected. That is the fellow for me, I thought. But no, this just takes you to the VirSyn site. You have to select 'other' describe the same thing, then submit. Using the other option Apple provide in the receipt just brings up help for hardware!

• @Jocphone said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:

Thanks Monzo would be great to hear another side of it.

Here you go. It starts with a simple, clean four note sequence from a mono Gadget synth, and I slowly fade in (dry to wet) a single, unpitched echo around 0.12. You can already hear a phase effect, as the pitch doesn't match. At 0.23 it's the completely 'wet' version, and if you listen carefully you can hear it's clipping and grainy. It shouldn't be - this isn't pitched or using any fx, it should be a clean copy of the original. At 0.25 I enabled more harmony channels, and it just sounds awful - nothing's quite in tune. I then fade it back to the dry original signal.

While it sounds funny, and weird (some people may dance to this track), this is as 'normal' as I can get it. Usually with fx you start with a nice clean effect, then dial up the weirdness - with this you struggle to get a usable sound, and dial up to complete chaos.

When I put my guitar through it, it sounds uncannily like my hardware delay pedal just before the batteries die.

@virsyn - I don't like knocking your apps as they're usually excellent - some of the best I have. Please tell me you can fix the sound quality and pitch detection.

https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=t6EjDuOwClc

• edited June 2017

@Zen210507 said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Log into your account, and report a problem. Since there are obvious problems with this one, they shouldn't quibble.

Ah yes, cheers.

BTW, as I rarely ask for a refund, I don't remember Apple being so crafty. On the drop down there was an option for product loading but not performing as expected. That is the fellow for me, I thought. But no, this just takes you to the VirSyn site. You have to select 'other' describe the same thing, then submit. Using the other option Apple provide in the receipt just brings up help for hardware!

Thanks, I've only done it a couple of times and forget the process.

In six years, or whatever it's been I've only done this three times - I usually just put up with the bugs or delete stuff that doesn't work, but we're skint at the moment so I can't throw money away. Plus I think Apple give you a black mark for doing so. I'm waiting to see if they can sort this though, as I really like the potential of this app, I just need the sound quality to be usable.

• edited June 2017

@MonzoPro thank you for the video. It seems the app is great for vocals but not other instruments. Since it has formant option ,did you check if the delays where not affected from formant ? ( male/female slider set to center )

• edited June 2017

@Korakios said:
    @MonzoPro thank you for the video. It seems the app is great for vocals but not other instruments. Since it has formant option ,did you check if the delays where not affected from formant ? ( male/female slider set to center )

Good point - yes they're all in the centre. I tried to make the demo as 'vanilla' as possible, so the first delay isn't time, or pitch shifted, and none are set to male/female.

You can't hear it so well in this one, but there's also 'wobbling' and pitch bending going on at times, making it sound even more detuned.

As a whacky effect it might be ok, but as a harmony, pitch delay it's not cutting the mustard.

I notice the store description has been updated with a disclaimer since I bought it - before it just had the feature list.

• @MonzoPro said:

Plus I think Apple give you a black mark for doing so.

Yes, I think you are correct. Which is a bloody cheek. Small issues are to be expected, but the kind of thing I've seen for this app is just not on.

I now have a 'we'll be in touch' notice from Apple, who will apparently review my request. Considering that they can access my account easily enough, and see how many apps I've bought and kept as opposed to the two or three rejected, it should be automatic. Ah well, I'll be more cautious next time.

• Bought. And happy. I also really like the sounds in Monzo's video. To each their own, I guess... . IVoxel-robotvoice running through it for hours, beautiful strangeness... .

• @MonzoPro said:

@Zen210507 said:

@MonzoPro said:

Ah yes, cheers.

In six years, or whatever it's been I've only done this three times - I usually just put up with the bugs or delete stuff that doesn't work, but we're skint at the moment so I can't throw money away. Plus I think Apple give you a black mark for doing so. I'm waiting to see if they can sort this though, as I really like the potential of this app, I just need the sound quality to be usable.

Thanks for doing that Monzo. That does sound more than a little off. It's almost like they autotune the signal but to a different tuning than the one your are using. As you know Pitch shifters do produce artefacts in the sound but I agree it shouldn't sound that different when only slightly detuning.

Neither of us are strangers to producing unusual noises, I'm just talking about music here.., but this and the last VisSyn app have both been a little 'wacky' and not in a good way. Shame because I really love and own most of their other apps and appreciate that you probably do too.

I saw this and thought insta-buy, it would really fit in with some of the things I am working on but not if it makes it imprints unwarranted strangeness on the audio signal.

• edited June 2017

@animal said:
    Bought. And happy. I also really like the sounds in Monzo's video. To each their own, I guess... . IVoxel-robotvoice running through it for hours, beautiful strangeness... .

The rhythmic possibilities with this are fantastic - I just had a great time using it with Troublemaker, but the quality and pitch aren't there so it's usage is limited for me. I really wanted to use this with guitar.

@Jocphone said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Zen210507 said:

@MonzoPro said:

Ah yes, cheers.

Thanks for doing that Monzo. That does sound more than a little off. It's almost like they autotune the signal but to a different tuning than the one your are using. As you know Pitch shifters do produce artefacts in the sound but I agree it shouldn't sound that different when only slightly detuning.

Neither of us are strangers to producing unusual noises, I'm just talking about music here.., but this and the last VisSyn app have both been a little 'wacky' and not in a good way. Shame because I really love and own most of their other apps and appreciate that you probably do too.

I saw this and thought insta-buy, it would really fit in with some of the things I am working on but not if it makes it imprints unwarranted strangeness on the audio signal.

That's the thing, I bought this for its harmony/pitch delay stuff - what it says it does on the tin. I'm happy to dial in the strangeness if I need to, but it has to provide a clean, property pitched signal as well, otherwise it's just a wacky effect that I'll use a couple of times then forget.

The basics are all there, they just need to sort out the audio quality.

• If Virsyn adds a generic (musical) pitch mode without the need of pitch tracking,I'll buy it asap. For vocals it seems it's a must have app

• edited June 2017

For the record re: refunds, the easiest way to get your refund if it's within 24 hours of purchase (and if you have not done so too many times) is just to choose 'I purchased the wrong thing'. There is no review and it immediately tells you a refund will be issued within the alotted business days.

Stumbled upon this when I actually was stupid enough to purchase the wrong thing-ZMors EQ instead of ZMors modular.

A crappy part about refunds, and the App Store in general, is you still have to wait til payment processes through their store. It has been up to two weeks or longer before my purchase is actually debited from my account.

• As for the app, this totally seems made for guitar, even if single note. Shame about the audio quality. This will be the first VirSyn non-instabuy to date. Really didn't care for Bandshift either...could not get anything musical out of it. Emo Chorus and Tap Delay are still great, though.

• @oat_phipps said:
    For the record re: refunds, the easiest way to get your refund if it's within 24 hours of purchase (and if you have not done so too many times) is just to choose 'I purchased the wrong thing'. There is no review and it immediately tells you a refund will be issued within the alotted business days.

Stumbled upon this when I actually was stupid enough to purchase the wrong thing-ZMors EQ instead of ZMors modular.

A crappy part about refunds, and the App Store in general, is you still have to wait til payment processes through their store. It has been up to two weeks or longer before my purchase is actually debited from my account.

Do not choose 'I purchased the wrong thing' . You will get 'illegal' prompts that you don't have the right of refunding on your next purchases. Then you have to use iTunes and reset store alert messages.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201620

It's also harder to get future refunds . Always speak to support explaining in detail the problem.

• @Korakios said:

@oat_phipps said:

Do not choose 'I purchased the wrong thing' . You will get 'illegal' prompts that you don't have the right of refunding on your next purchases. Then you have to use iTunes and reset store alert messages.

It's also harder to get future refunds . Always speak to support explaining in detail the problem.

Huh, you don't say. Thanks, didn't know. Thought I was providing a quick shortcut.

• @oat_phipps said:

@Korakios said:

@oat_phipps said:

Huh, you don't say. Thanks, didn't know. Thought I was providing a quick shortcut.

It is the quickest way, but it's a trap :) ( did it in the past )

• Guess I'm screwed now barring a reset. Shame, since I actually did buy the wrong thing. Ah well, I think I've gotten 4 total refunds out of hundreds of apps over the years.

• edited June 2017

@oat_phipps said:
    As for the app, this totally seems made for guitar, even if single note. Shame about the audio quality. This will be the first VirSyn non-instabuy to date. Really didn't care for Bandshift either...could not get anything musical out of it. Emo Chorus and Tap Delay are still great, though.

This seems to suffer from the low quality output of Voxsyn, and from what I hear, Bandshift.

The idea and the potential is great, but they fail to deliver in quality of sound.

I just had a great half hour putting Blocs through this - it lifted a dull beat into something really interesting. But the sound quality just wasn't there, so I can't do anything with it.

Very frustrating.

• Guys just to say I have achieved some great results with this app through AB3, AUM and AudioShare. Sorry some of you seem to be struggling but no sound issues for my liking.

• @Trueyorky said:
    Guys just to say I have achieved some great results with this app through AB3, AUM and AudioShare. Sorry some of you seem to be struggling but no sound issues for my liking.

Really? Could you put them up? Maybe I need to reinstall or something.

• @oat_phipps said:

Thanks. Well worth knowing.

• @Korakios said:
    Do not choose 'I purchased the wrong thing' . You will get 'illegal' prompts that you don't have the right of refunding on your next purchases.

>

Even more worth knowing. ;)

• Hmm, I already thought when listening to their demo it's very artificial sounding. Still might be interesting especially with proper diatonic harmonizer functionality. But if @VirSyn could improve the sound quality it would be much better. Anyone willing to demo it with some monophonic guitar playing?

• @Munibeast said:
    Anyone willing to demo it with some monophonic guitar playing?

This please...

• Couldn't resist; just bought it. Works fine monophonically with guitar and any number of up to eight shifted, delayed voices. It does seem to need clean playing but I'll definitely find a use for it. It's very easy to set up a nice spread of shifted voices. I've used many hardware mono pitch shifters; many of the newer models work okay(ish) with two string double stops if you stick to clean + octave below shifts. Some work well with root and fifth shifts too. This is strictly mono though, and if there is any hint of a second note it warbles like hell. Echo Pitch works much better for me with multiple notes.

• @rcf said:
    This is strictly mono though, and if there is any hint of a second note it warbles like hell. Echo Pitch works much better for me with multiple notes.

What's the advantages of this one over Echo Pitch? I'm starting to think I've bought the wrong app...

• @MonzoPro said:

@rcf said:
    This is strictly mono though, and if there is any hint of a second note it warbles like hell. Echo Pitch works much better for me with multiple notes.

What's the advantages of this one over Echo Pitch? I'm starting to think I've bought the wrong app...

I honestly love using it as a slightly off key clunky munchy, shoes in the dryer hypno-mangler-warbler.