Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song of the Month Club - March 2017

Comments

• @bluepunk there's a lot going on in here it's hard to focus on your vocals even... maybe it's a night I did too much but it almost made me dizzy ... at the same time nothing was muddy or too loud..

• @richardyot and wonderfull it is... very interesting atmosphere you've painted.. I always have pictured what the session looks like on the other end and I see a full blown studio with hardwood floors and a black piano with two 414 and two c100s with green tracking lights... all that in just the sound... I really liked it btw

• @DerekBuddemeyer this is really cool man .. its kinda got a vibe that takes me back .. very simple yet who cares . It sounded good

• @trackedout said:
    @bluepunk there's a lot going on in here it's hard to focus on your vocals even... maybe it's a night I did too much but it almost made me dizzy ... at the same time nothing was muddy or too loud..

You are right. Homework sorted. More space needed. Valid point thanks. What did you do "too much of" last night? Another fact sheet on its way....... ;) Cheers.

• @richardyot said:
    Following the feedback I've received I've updated my mix with less reverb, and the vocals mixed a little lower as well. I did go back to my Gadget file to see if longer notes on the bass were viable, but I didn't really like the results, so I have changed the compression settings on the bass instead to try and make it less staccato.

Didn't pick up on these points in V1 (still learning) but, I have to say, the "less reverb" shout is a relevant one. I don't understand these things and I thought reverb created space. You've dialled it down, and gained acres of the stuff! The chorus sounds even more angelic. :)

• @Bluepunk said:

@richardyot said:
    Following the feedback I've received I've updated my mix with less reverb, and the vocals mixed a little lower as well. I did go back to my Gadget file to see if longer notes on the bass were viable, but I didn't really like the results, so I have changed the compression settings on the bass instead to try and make it less staccato.

Didn't pick up on these points in V1 (still learning) but, I have to say, the "less reverb" shout is a relevant one. I don't understand these things and I thought reverb created space. You've dialled it down, and gained acres of the stuff! The chorus sounds even more angelic. :)

Reverb creates the illusion of space, but too much of it can also create the illusion of mud, and there is also the risk of creating the illusion of cheese, which might not be the illusion you are aiming to create. It depends on your tastes.

A little reverb is nice, too much can make you sick.

• @richardyot said:

@Bluepunk said:

@richardyot said:

Reverb creates the illusion of space, but too much of it can also create the illusion of mud, and there is also the risk of creating the illusion of cheese, which might not be the illusion you are aiming to create. It depends on your tastes.

Got it, and thanks. Have the same conundrum when it comes to clotted cream consumption. Going to purchase the DDMF envelope reverb app to mess around with. :)

• @Bluepunk said:

@richardyot said:

@Bluepunk said:

@richardyot said:

Got it, and thanks. Have the same conundrum when it comes to clotted cream consumption. Going to purchase the DDMF envelope reverb app to mess around with. :)

Reverb is very similar to clotted cream, it must be said.

• @Jocphone said:

@Bluepunk said:

@richardyot said:

@Bluepunk said:

@richardyot said:

"I'm outraged. There are many fans of proper cream tea, especially the Cornish variety, who are neither nice nor old. There are even some who aren't ladies." JHCC quote, from the English Language and usage site. Must be right then...... ;)

• Here's my entry. Gadget again. Got the new v3 update but couldn't be arsed changing anything with the new features, been tweaking it long enough already. It's actually the first track I started in gadget but then it sat on the back burner for a while. I quite like it. In your face phoenix polysynth action...

• This is my love song
    Let me sing you some lies
    Even when I’m looking
    Deep into your sad eyes

If you ask me dear
    Do you love me dear?
    I will always tell you
    What it is you want to hear

• Wow! Nice song and lyrics, @JohnnyGoodyear! Loved the piano intro, both the tone (is it Colossus piano?) and the arrangement itself. Congrats!

• @theconnactic said:
    Wow! Nice song and lyrics, @JohnnyGoodyear! Loved the piano intro, both the tone (is it Colossus piano?) and the arrangement itself. Congrats!

Thank you. Module piano (albeit softened). The song is rough and ready and (as always) could do with some mixing/producing, but I must give credit for the arrangement to the new Concentric app, which is both very simple and very clever...

• @JohnnyGoodyear Your song started a debate here at the Roxy this morning. The missus, after devouring her breakfast in bed, questioned (interrogated under bright light) me re this lying about being in love thing. Yes, done it, and been on the receiving end as well. Not now, of course. I picture you, stood in your pulpit, singing this song and scouring the congregation to check out, whose heads have been lowered as your eyes meet theirs. Guilty, your love honour... guilty!

Emotions spew out of your well delivered words, and intertwined with the "ache/longing" of that piano, it's impossible, not to feel and understand this piece. ANY song where the singer does a Ramones 1,2,3,4, will be number one and straight to the top of my playlist. I can hear you've played your skins on the off beat. Hearing this was unexpected/edgy/different, especially on a slower temp song.

Back to the torture......... More pain please wife........ much, much more. :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear that's very good, probably the best song you have written to date, I really like it.

Nice intro, reminds me of Golden Slumbers with those piano chords, and the tape/flanging effect gives it an edge. Then the second piano comes in with that very effective simple melody that interweaves in and out (and has really great interplay with the vocal). It's low-key but every part has a purpose and a focus, no fat there.

Singing is excellent, particularly in the second half, and especially when you go sotto voice in the last 2 stanzas.

And the best part: it could so easily just be a standard piano ballad, but it's not. Partly because the atmosphere, while sweet, has a slight edge, a hind of darkness, and also because the lyrics are dark as well - like Love Hurts: a dark song delivered in a sweet style.

To my ears this could be released as a single. The only thing I would do is just more vocal takes to select the very best possible performance(s). Production is absolutely fine, didn't need any more polish IMO.

• @Bluepunk said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear Your song started a debate here at the Roxy this morning. The missus, after devouring her breakfast in bed, questioned (interrogated under bright light) me re this lying about being in love thing. Yes, done it, and been on the receiving end as well. Not now, of course. I picture you, stood in your pulpit, singing this song and scouring the congregation to check out, whose heads have been lowered as your eyes meet theirs. Guilty, your love honour... guilty!

Emotions spew out of your well delivered words, and intertwined with the "ache/longing" of that piano, it's impossible, not to feel and understand this piece. ANY song where the singer does a Ramones 1,2,3,4, will be number one and straight to the top of my playlist. I can hear you've played your skins on the off beat. Hearing this was unexpected/edgy/different, especially on a slower temp song.

I was thinking of the 'lasts' a person accumulates, never normally knowing that they are; last car bought say, last meaningful snog, last time one sets foot on your country of birth etc etc. All quite elegiac, but then I thought of 'last love/relationship' and how, for many, they become that because, essentially age. A settling. And then the idea that if humans lived to be two hundred, perhaps serial monogamy would be more of a central thing...anyway, led me back to the different deals we make, them and us, to carry on in life etc.

• edited March 2017

@richardyot said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear that's very good, probably the best song you have written to date, I really like it.

Nice intro, reminds me of Golden Slumbers with those piano chords, and the tape/flanging effect gives it an edge. Then the second piano comes in with that very effective simple melody that interweaves in and out (and has really great interplay with the vocal). It's low-key but every part has a purpose and a focus, no fat there.

Singing is excellent, particularly in the second half, and especially when you go sotto voice in the last 2 stanzas.

And the best part: it could so easily just be a standard piano ballad, but it's not. Partly because the atmosphere, while sweet, has a slight edge, a hind of darkness, and also because the lyrics are dark as well - like Love Hurts: a dark song delivered in a sweet style.

To my ears this could be released as a single. The only thing I would do is just more vocal takes to select the very best possible performance(s). Production is absolutely fine, didn't need any more polish IMO.

Thanks Mister Yot. Appreciate your feedback and encouragement. I really struggled to get on with something this month. Sometimes (I think we all know this well) I have one song in the front of my head/heart and keep noodling at aspects of it, not being able to let up until the puzzle (at least in its first draft) is completed. Other times there seem to be a half a dozen possibles all floating around. I think this is where SOTMC really earns its corn, because -for me- those half a dozen can easily become a full dozen and more without my feet being held to the notional fire.

I agree with your thought about the vocal takes. I am only really happy with one or two of the lines and this is something that really would benefit from that 'sing it for a week in the rehearsal rooms before you spend the money on a recording studio'. I should also note that I had a version I much preferred, I put it through Audio Mastering and it was much 1) louder :) and 2) more glued, but it was all crackles by the time I listened to it at the end...one day :) Would also like Emmylou Harris very slightly doubling me in the background of the second half and ideally would like someone talented to fix the 'bit' between the two halves to develop and connect them, but that can all go in the drawer for some other time....thanks again.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Bluepunk said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear Your song started a debate here at the Roxy this morning. The missus, after devouring her breakfast in bed, questioned (interrogated under bright light) me re this lying about being in love thing. Yes, done it, and been on the receiving end as well. Not now, of course. I picture you, stood in your pulpit, singing this song and scouring the congregation to check out, whose heads have been lowered as your eyes meet theirs. Guilty, your love honour... guilty!

I was thinking of the 'lasts' a person accumulates, never normally knowing that they are; last car bought say, last meaningful snog, last time one sets foot on your country of birth etc etc. All quite elegiac, but then I thought of 'last love/relationship' and how, for many, they become that because, essentially age. A settling. And then the idea that if humans lived to be two hundred, perhaps serial monogamy would be more of a central thing...anyway, led me back to the different deals we make, them and us, to carry on in life etc.

Thanks for that. Yep, got it. I AM dull. Sorry. Off to give myself a deserved kicking. Love lyrics that insist i think about things, (differently), or that can force a new emotion never experienced before. Interpret them wrong, yes, i did, but it is inspirational juice that you pour from your glass and organic food for thought. Cheers. :)

• Hey all, catching up on feedback from my round earlier this month.

@Bobbejaan for a non-musician….you sure don’t sound like a non-musician. Lovely melancholy intro, nice touch when percussion kicked in around 0.40, and bass undertones building from a little thereafter. Production excellent also. Dude, you are a natural at this, fantastic effort! My only suggestion might be to consider a variation to the melody and/or tempo to the last minute or so, just to mix it up a bit.

@Halftone I’m not really a synth / electronic guy, so take feedback with grain of salt. Enjoyed the cool bassline intro and melodic elements from around 1 min. The slow build of the song was really well done, everything sounded really polished production wise, and there was ebb and flow in the song dynamics. I think someone commented earlier in the month that this one would be a monty for the addition of some vocals….pretty compelling tune as is, but reckon vocals could lift it even further. Great job though, was surprised when I got to the end that it had run five minutes (felt a lot less than that).

@theconnactic I’m listening to / watching this on a Monday morning, about 1 week into a six week break from work. Perfect, relaxed vibe to this tune, and a nice lower tempo number offers a cool contrast to your regular up-tempo numbers. The video adds a nice dimension to the construction of the song…watching it I’m wondering if you back yourself to play it and record the audio and the video in one take? I’m lucky to go two bars without making some sort of a mistake (though you appear you could do it one take without breaking a sweat)! Well done and another great tune. Keep up the vids too.

@gburks What a great premise for a tune! Great artwork too. I’m sort of picturing a video clip for this one where you and your son are walking down the street in ‘slow mo’ towards the camera, resplendent with FIGJAM / ‘we’ve got this’ expressions on your faces. Cool tune, my only suggestion might be to make the kick massive, just to make it a bit more over the top.

@Bluepunk love the synthetic guitar tone of the intro. You’ve got a great distinctive sound happening with vocal delivery and guitars in particular, that really marks your songs as your songs. I reckon you could perhaps consider reining in the wailing guitars (similar to what you did around 1:35) a bit, as it feels like there’s maybe a tad too many sounds fighting for space in the mix and the listener’s attention. You’ve had a long streak of really good songs in the time I’ve been paying attention to SOTMC, reckon this could sneak up to the level of your recent tunes if you let it ruminate for a bit and peel back a couple of its less essential sonic ingredients. Also, this is not a knock on your work – if you were to push out an album or EP, I’d be all over it, I really love the way you go about it :).
    Thanks again for the feedback on my tune. Went with sessionband for drums for this one rather than cubasis (diode-108 next month…I’m a bit of drum app hussy). Thanks for the comments on my voice too….you’re spot on that it’s a confidence thing, just diving in and giving it a go really. Still improving, but great to have another potential mode of vocal delivery in the kit bag for futures songs. I’m sort of working towards an album…at the same time, I’m wondering if the album as a concept is dead. Folks don’t seem to have the time / attention span these days. There’s also the disconnect created by streaming / commodification of music i.e. the lost joy of having that coveted and long awaited album from your favourite artist in your hot little hands that I remember so well as a kid. But in the meantime, as I ponder such weighty issues, I’ll just keep making tunes that no one listens to :).

@richardyot Thanks for sharing your tune (and also for keeping the SOTMC bandwagon rolling culturally and administratively :)). I didn’t hear V1, so this is for V2 with the slightly wound back verb. In the six months or so I’ve been listening to SOTMC, there’s been a subtle strengthening of your vocals. You’ve clearly put a lot of work into it, and I reckon you’ve got to that point one can see in any human endeavour where someone knows what they can do. You know your voice, your tools (albeit limited for you atm due to much of your gear being unavailable) and your workflow. It’s a subtle shift, but your voice just seems to be the centrepiece of your tunes, without dilution or compensation via effects, and it sounds like it belongs there. Clearly your song writing chops have developed across 24 episodes of SOTMC also. Great job with this one. Thanks also for the kind words about my tune and vocal. You’ve been great in challenging me (in a good way) to strive for more - I’m not sure I would’ve ventured that way without SOTMC, so thanks again.

@JDubbel, Nice job with your tune, I really like the funky breakdown around the 2 min mark, and the even more funky guitar-sounding parts from around 2:45. The bass sounds were excellent too, sound super clear in my bud earphones. Production was great (which is true of every song I’ve listened to today). Thanks for having a listen and providing feedback to my tune too, much appreciated :).

• @marliess Thank you. Nice one on such a massive reviewing sesh. Always interesting/educational and I do take a great deal from your (everyone's) points. Synthetic guitar? That was my poshest Marshall amp sim! ;) Absolutely bang on the nose though, and will leave this two key noise assault to you pro's. And thanks, yes, I may well give that a go on this song in the future.... Strip back a few layers of dead skin and siphon out the cholesterol underneath. For next month, am working on something different, calmer. :)

They do you know.... listen and enjoy your songs. They do. :)

• Hey @Bluepunk sorry i thought I'd read in a previous month that your guitar tones were from synth apps rather than 'guitars that you hold in your hand' TM :). My bad....no biggie though cos however theyre produced they sound great (as do your drums, voice and whole shebang!).

• @marliess said:
    Hey @Bluepunk sorry i thought I'd read in a previous month that your guitar tones were from synth apps rather than 'guitars that you hold in your hand' TM :). My bad....no biggie though cos however theyre produced they sound great (as do your drums, voice and whole shebang!).

You don't miss a thing! Yes, just messing. Guitarism + Mesa Dual Rectifier + Monster Booster stomp, (like I know what I'm on about here......). Thanks again.

• @Jocphone said:

Somehow I missed this important aphorism. Have added it to my Essential Forum Wisdom quote book. Very good.

• @gburks said:
    My 8 year old son walks around singing these cool little melodies and sometimes I'm lucky enough to grab it with the voice recorder. Here's a little jam built around one of his voice notes, embellished by me.

Terrific. AND great artwork. Make sure this goes in the Forever Box.

• edited March 2017

@marliess said:

Fun and more. Like the word generation idea a lot (and the results also). The vocals remind me in places (and in a good way) of Mexican Radio/Wall of Voodoo, but then everything seems to be coming up S. Ridgway currently. Think I would like to hear you sing it again two beers further in (or equivalent) for a little ballsier delivery (to suit the material really), but more than anything I think you should sing more. SOTMC, makes vocalists of us all :)

• Feedback part two from me;

@theconnactic pretty acoustic piece nicely played. Liked the video showing your technique.

@gburks your son has got a great future as tune writer. Liked the way you combined his singing with the brass sounds. The distorted drums were a bit much in parts but overall I enjoyed it.

@Bluepunk clever funny lyrics as ever. Musically clever as well. On the first play I didn't think it worked but after a couple more it seemed to gel. I liked the way you panned the guitars so you can make out both parts. My only criticism would be the vocal delivery, which for you was quite laid back, didn't quite seem to fit with the manic quality of the music.

@richardyot pretty song, The chorus parts worked really well and had a great vocal and the backing 'vocals' definitely added something. The vocals on the verse were much better once you cut back on the reverb. It is sometimes difficult to judge whether you have got the sound right, particularly when you have been working on something for a while. These days, I give my songs a play through the car sound system which usually gives me an idea of whether I have got the mix right or not before posting them.

@DerekBuddemeyer great playing and production on all 3 pieces. I thought the drums were a bit high in the mix on the third one. Do you ever finish these pieces or are they just little musical sketches?

@JDubbel nicely produced as most Gadget tracks tend to be but musically not really my cup of tea.

@JohnnyGoodyear lovely song, delicately played and sang. Definitely my favourite entry of yours into the SOTMC so far.

• @orchardman said:
    Feedback part two from me;

@theconnactic pretty acoustic piece nicely played. Liked the video showing your technique.

@gburks your son has got a great future as tune writer. Liked the way you combined his singing with the brass sounds. The distorted drums were a bit much in parts but overall I enjoyed it.

@Bluepunk clever funny lyrics as ever. Musically clever as well. On the first play I didn't think it worked but after a couple more it seemed to gel. I liked the way you panned the guitars so you can make out both parts. My only criticism would be the vocal delivery, which for you was quite laid back, didn't quite seem to fit with the manic quality of the music.

@richardyot pretty song, The chorus parts worked really well and had a great vocal and the backing 'vocals' definitely added something. The vocals on the verse were much better once you cut back on the reverb. It is sometimes difficult to judge whether you have got the sound right, particularly when you have been working on something for a while. These days, I give my songs a play through the car sound system which usually gives me an idea of whether I have got the mix right or not before posting them.

@DerekBuddemeyer great playing and production on all 3 pieces. I thought the drums were a bit high in the mix on the third one. Do you ever finish these pieces or are they just little musical sketches?

@JDubbel nicely produced as most Gadget tracks tend to be but musically not really my cup of tea.

@JohnnyGoodyear lovely song, delicately played and sang. Definitely my favourite entry of yours into the SOTMC so far.

Just been sketching...that's all I have time for these days...lol

• @theconnactic said:
    My new song, a ballad called "Enseada". Enjoy the listening, and have a nice week

A very stately ballad. It's not tango, but I can imagine a variation on the dance to this. My trouble is that I want to hear the story being told by the music (in words as well as the music). Something tragic or something hopeful. A thing of the past or instead a wish for the future. I am presuming/guessing that Enseada is a place. I would be interested what you were thinking about or what the connection in your mind/heart was between it and this piece. Sorry if I am too literal; it is my fate :)

• Lol! I actually considered adding lyrics to this one, but I decided I liked it the way it was. Enseada means "creek" or "cove". Thank you for the review! All the best.

• Thank you for the reviews, @marliess and @orchardman!