Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song of the Month Club - March 2017

Comments

• @studs1966 said:
    More often its a mood thingy, but always master in Auria Pro. Cubasis is a good all rounder, but since the last update, the CPU shoots too high. MTD is good. It's more CPU friendly. Also you can multiple output (like you can in Loopy HD & Loopy)into Cubasis, or Auria Pro..... Plus, if you need to output to a PC, all the MTD tracks are in ZIP format for each channel. So once loaded on you computer, you unzip it, then drag n drop into the channel in you PC DAW. You can't do this in Cubasis, or Auria Pro. For example with using MTD. Say, you make an 8 channel track in MTD, you then save your project(write down the BPM in your MTD project). Now, connect you iPad to iTunes, then load your MTD project onto your computer. Then unzip the MTD track in your folder on your PC. Now load up you DAW(Ableton Live, FL Studio, or whatever you have?) Now start a new project, & change the BPM to the same on your MTD project. Now drag each of the 8 channels into your DAW. Kaboom, your done to take it further. You can't do this with Cubasis, Or Auria Pro...... it's so much easier, & simpler. But the trouble with MTD, it doesn't have have Midi clock. It's more of a Audio recorder. So when you record more that one track, I use Apps that have Ableton Link, & quickly flick thru each app as it's playing along. Pain in the arse, I should use AUM, or really get to know Modstep more really....... Actually, as I I write this....... Yes, Modstep!........ that would be better, as now it's more stable(it's wasn't before, so I deleted it)

Again, thank you. I have learnt so much from your posts. Lots of delicious new things to try out and practice. MTD sounds like a wee gem and I will get it. I'm understanding this all, I think, and will follow your detailed guide once I jump in. Cheers! :)

• @Franketti I have your song ready to play at 1800 hrs. If City lose, at least I know it will be impossible to remain in a bad mood for long. Can feel the brass beaming. The guitars gleeful. The drums delight. Overflowing with optimism and mindfulness, your tune is unadulterated happiness. The baggy bass drum, crisp hats, piccolo/snappy snare...... a tight as hell rhythm section. Mesmerising guitar/horn playing sitting proudly over the top of that structure....... thinking of you and Dimitri getting together in the future.

Nice one on the vocals. Second Richards comment. Don't give up! You don't need your band singer, you're you. Your composition, your playing and your vocal interpretation and performance. Good on ya! :)

• @Bluepunk said:

@studs1966 said:
    More often its a mood thingy, but always master in Auria Pro. Cubasis is a good all rounder, but since the last update, the CPU shoots too high. MTD is good. It's more CPU friendly. Also you can multiple output (like you can in Loopy HD & Loopy)into Cubasis, or Auria Pro..... Plus, if you need to output to a PC, all the MTD tracks are in ZIP format for each channel. So once loaded on you computer, you unzip it, then drag n drop into the channel in you PC DAW. You can't do this in Cubasis, or Auria Pro. For example with using MTD. Say, you make an 8 channel track in MTD, you then save your project(write down the BPM in your MTD project). Now, connect you iPad to iTunes, then load your MTD project onto your computer. Then unzip the MTD track in your folder on your PC. Now load up you DAW(Ableton Live, FL Studio, or whatever you have?) Now start a new project, & change the BPM to the same on your MTD project. Now drag each of the 8 channels into your DAW. Kaboom, your done to take it further. You can't do this with Cubasis, Or Auria Pro...... it's so much easier, & simpler. But the trouble with MTD, it doesn't have have Midi clock. It's more of a Audio recorder. So when you record more that one track, I use Apps that have Ableton Link, & quickly flick thru each app as it's playing along. Pain in the arse, I should use AUM, or really get to know Modstep more really....... Actually, as I I write this....... Yes, Modstep!........ that would be better, as now it's more stable(it's wasn't before, so I deleted it)

Again, thank you. I have learnt so much from your posts. Lots of delicious new things to try out and practice. MTD sounds like a wee gem and I will get it. I'm understanding this all, I think, and will follow your detailed guide once I jump in. Cheers! :)

@Bluepunk said:

@studs1966 said:

Your very welcome. ;)

• @marliess said:

@studs1966 said:
    You can't do this with Cubasis, Or Auria Pro......

Hey @studs1966 MTD is great for simplicity of approach...it was my 'go to' for recording til it started misbehaving for me with tonestack a while back (which seems to be a problem unique to my set up, judging by discussions on the recent MTD update). Just one thing with cubasis....it does offer mixdown to individual tracks via the 'create separate files for tracks' button in the mixdown section. I just did a mixdown of an 11 track song and they came out numbered & with track names. Dont know if that offers any advantage for your user case over MTD as I'm a dill with midi :)

Thanks for that info. I'll try it....... MTD is just a simple & quick way to get ideas out(also CPU friendlier). I think the MTD Dev is making a MTD 2?...... Cheers matey. ;)

• Auria can also mixdown to stems, just select that option in the mixdown menu.

• @marliess Top notch power pop my friend. Shades/tones of the Vapours and Devo combine to arouse memories of sweaty, hectic gigs. Has that feeling running through it and conjures up the unexplainable, wonderful aroma of the Roxy Club, never to be forgotten. Thanks, because I thought I couldn't experience it again.... (Heads off to locate Farewell to the Roxy LP. Vertigo by Open Sore). Nice one on getting the family involved in the lyric writing department. With lines like "You'll find me in the swell" and "I am a surfer man," just be careful which LOG you burn on the beach! ;) Hard hitting, professionally filled drums, as usual, and you've got those Cubasis tubs well and truly sorted.

You CAN sing and it was exciting to hear you venture up into the higher echelons. You're doing yourself down. It's evident, to my ears, that your confidence is sky high and trying out different things can only add to that. Love the break at 2.20 and the two sledgehammer snare beats to welcome back the chorus. You write catchy songs and have The Knack. A must for your album. You are making one....... right? :)

• Cars What.

After the sales success of BP Speed scented aftershave , i had to ask myself, why aren't there ANY, "iffy substance taking assistance aids" fitted to our automobiles? A gap in the market perhaps. Inspiration...... the "barking' mad taxi driver in Barcelona. He was on coke and had great difficulty cutting it, when driving fast-er. Musically, a first attempt at playing in two different keys...... on purpose. Not a clue which ones and i doubt you'll be able to tell either. Rick might. Had to rush the vocals through today as singing time is scarce next week. I'm not happy with the tone or delivery but it is one for the pot.

Poly Tonal is a rip off. She had a beautiful sister back in the day who started all this. She wore X-ray Spex. Woof Woof. ;)

• My entry for the month, lyrics in the spoiler:

show me something wonderful
    that I've been walking by for years
    missing all that's beautiful
    but now the haze has cleared

has the time now come?
    are my mistakes undone?
    or am just confused because
    of all my repressed fears?

smiles and surprises
    are the stuff of younger years
    there is still joy for you to see
    if you can see it through your tears

has the moment come?
    are my illusions gone?
    what is left to lose because
    of all those wasted years?

• @bluepunk, thanks for that very very friendly comment. My englisch is not very good.
    I hope, it is not meant ironic what you wrote ;-). This baggy Bass drum. It is the only one that
    i like in Funk drummer. Still struggling with compressors et c.Hope the dev delivers some new dry sounds in the future for his app which is the only that I can work with without pain.
    Will hear the other songs postet this evening.

• @Bluepunk AKA Le Punk Bleu, that's your best one yet - production is excellent, really great intro riff, mad drums, and it's a great and very funny song.

I'll remember to avoid any particularly narrow country lanes in Wales after hearing this tune, the thought of being mowed down by speeding (in both sense of the word) locals doesn't really appeal.

Lyrics are wonderful, and the Subaru from Peru is the highlight, good move leaving that one until last.

Your genre isn't really punk any more, it's really just Bluepunk, and that's really cool. You're a genre all of your own.

• @marliess Wow - your singing is excellent, this is so much better than what you were doing before, you're carrying a melody, it's all in tune, and it sounds great - more importantly it makes the song so much more compelling to listen to because the vocal delivery is so much better and more interesting, well done for pushing yourself.

It's another funny track "I am a surfer man.....do check out my tan". "watch out for bears" etc... Some great lines in there, and a nice riff to drive it all along. Musically it also sounds more interesting than your earlier entries, more highly crafted, and more dynamic with that instrumental bridge half way through.

Really great to see your evolution, for me this is a huge improvement on your previous work, and the improved music and vocals are a great platform for your lyrical wit, and do your words much greater justice.

• @Franketti said:
    @bluepunk, thanks for that very very friendly comment. My englisch is not very good.
    I hope, it is not meant ironic what you wrote ;-). This baggy Bass drum. It is the only one that
    i like in Funk drummer. Still struggling with compressors et c.Hope the dev delivers some new dry sounds in the future for his app which is the only that I can work with without pain.
    Will hear the other songs postet this evening.

I adore a baggy bass drum sound! A compliment to you sir. I can't seem to replicate one, so kudos to you! :)

• @technemedia Got to begin with your solo. That.... is cracking. Opened up sound sensors I never knew I had! Utterly metal, in a brilliant way. Intelligent lyrics, delivered in an urgent, controlled way. In the verses, am wondering if some of the words didn't match the rhythm underneath. Less control possibly, to loosen/ease a tad. I feel the energy and enthusiasm through your playing/singing. Sparkles, infectious.

Loving the powerful harmonies on "might try" and the deep, dark vocal responses. But...... that solo steals the show ..... Top shelf. :)

• @richardyot said:
    @Bluepunk AKA Le Punk Bleu, that's your best one yet - production is excellent, really great intro riff, mad drums, and it's a great and very funny song.

I'll remember to avoid any particularly narrow country lanes in Wales after hearing this tune, the thought of being mowed down by speeding (in both sense of the word) locals doesn't really appeal.

Lyrics are wonderful, and the Subaru from Peru is the highlight, good move leaving that one until last.

Your genre isn't really punk any more, it's really just Bluepunk, and that's really cool. You're a genre all of your own.

Appreciate your comments Richard. Thanks to you, the folk here and the fact of not having the time to rest on one's laurels (straight onto the next one), I think we are ALL forging our own musical identities, even if we don't realise it ourselves. Only one box of "neighbour chocolates" was needed for this. None next month..... :) Thanks again.

• @Bobbejaan Good on you Hennie. Can't believe you're not musically trained! I mean, your piano playing skills... how? Touching/caressing those white and black things with such care and finesse, at such an early stage in your journey, is staggering. Your piece creates a peaceful atmosphere to float off into and explore. The bass, after a few listens, did sit down comfortably and does inject some tension, breaking up the gentleness above. An interesting combination. Keep banging the tunes out.
    You mentioned getting back on the horse again. IMO, you didn't fall off in the first place. :)

• edited March 2017

@technemedia love the late 60s vibe to the track, especially the vocals. The voice is just slightly off-key, but in a cool way that reminds me of vintage vocals (prior to auto-tune and melodyne).

Lyrics are very good as well, and the song is a real grower and gets better as it progresses. As Le Punk Bleu says the guitar solo is awesome, and I also love the changes throughout the track, keeps it interesting.

Only crit is that the vocal melody needs a bit more variation in the verses so that the lines don't all sound so samey.

• @Halftone Going through some possibilities behind your song title. Open Shade. Like it. A fantastic job of amalgamating these two monster "G" apps together. Seamless, uncluttered. Loving your infectious bass line spiralling up, before tumbling hard down and popping nicely back into it's next cycle. Impeccable mix allows every wee flick etc, to be heard, felt and enjoyed. 3.35 was a highlight. Those echoes/delays weaved around inside my head creating a feeling that a threat of some sort was simmering away underneath and could erupt at any time But, you're shrewd and being nimble-fingered, you skilfully keep control, merely toying with our emotions. Good stuff. :)

• edited March 2017

@Halftone love the dark atmosphere, very noir feeling track. Nice gradual buildup of instruments as well, with some great and varied choice of sounds. The nylon string guitar sound (presumably from Geo Shred) is a lovely contrast when it comes in, as it's a lighter sound than everything that precedes it.

Despite the great groove you have going with the drums and bass, it would be nice if there was a little bit of variety there, the drums and bass are quite static in the track as the melodic elements change around them. It would have been good to hear a change of gear or two in the rhythmic parts of the tune as well.

But it's great track, I always love listening to your stuff because of the great bass lines, interesting melodies, and evocative but dark atmospheres you create.

• @theconnactic Was fortunate to be in Barcelona last week and stood and watched a Classical Spanish guitarist doing the business. Collected 27 flies in my "open in awe" mouth. As he showed off his skills, I thought of you and pictured a battle of the guitars between you pair. Would be something else! Sorry, I am running out of words to describe what a pleasure it is to hear/watch you strut your stuff. Can't keep googling alternatives for the word brilliant! Are you planning on revisiting your guitar/synth creations again?

• @theconnactic that's a nice melancholy tune, and also a pleasant change of direction from your usual much faster work. Lovely playing, particularly admire the rock-solid tempo you keep throughout, and interesting changes and progressions. Good stuff.

• @richardyot Oh my word! What a performance. You haven't moved into Abbey Road have you? Please say you're all sorted now and you recorded this in your new home studio with all your mics etc back. So professional. Got me all in a tizz here, seriously. I cannot get your chorus out of my head. You sound like a full on choir! Angelic, pure, clean.

"Has the time now come" ....... beautifully sung. Ah man, you have completely blown me away. The confidence, ease I hear and feel in that chorus is bloody breathtaking. What have you been eating down there? Wow! A gut full of euphoria is what you've given me. Easily your best vocal. The intro reminds me of a tune from somewhere and welcomes the listener to your home. Fell into your lyrics, sucked inside your story (because of your performance) I am thinking just how powerful this would be if you were backed up by an orchestra..... on stage at the Royal Albert Hall.

Show me something wonderful. You did. Your voice. :) First track on your album.

• @Bluepunk thanks :)

Still no home studio, just a posh USB mic. Hoping to move before the end of the month, and unpack my guitars and mic collection. I've kinda gotten used to not having that much gear though, and to be fair it's pretty amazing what you can do with just an iPad and a bunch of apps, especially when you drown everything in Pro-R....

The track is mostly a combination of Gadget (for the pianos) and GarageBand (drums and Alchemy), mixed in Auria.

• @richardyot said:
    @Bluepunk thanks :)

Still no home studio, just a posh USB mic. Hoping to move before the end of the month, and unpack my guitars and mic collection. I've kinda gotten used to not having that much gear though, and to be fair it's pretty amazing what you can do with just an iPad and a bunch of apps, especially when you drown everything in Pro-R....

The track is mostly a combination of Gadget (for the pianos) and GarageBand (drums and Alchemy), mixed in Auria.

Well, that's more praise I'm heaping on you then because it does sound like you've recorded this in a pro studio. And sorry, because your vocal was so special, I neglected to mention your music. But then, (I'm thinking out loud) is that a good thing? Everything fits perfectly. All one musical performance. A compliment that I'm not? Don't know. I did pick up on your ivory talents though. Very slick. Drums.... Darcy, I take it. :)

• @Bobbejaan welcome back :)

I think this is much better - the piano is really great, really nice arpeggiated progression, and I like the sudden jumps that go higher followed by a return to the lower voice. The progression is really interesting and pleasant to listen to, and very catchy - a great piece of music.

I wasn't too sure about the growly bass though, it didn't seem to fit with the piano and kinda muddles the mood of the piece. I did really like some of the additional synth sounds though, especially the eerie ones towards the end.

One thing that would be nice would be more of a sense of progression and journey in the piece, a second movement towards the end with a different feel and playing style, maybe some chords rather than the arpeggio, just to take the listener on more of an emotional journey.

Ending is very effective.

Great piece though, and again it's really interesting to see your development.

• @Bluepunk said:

@richardyot said:
    @Bluepunk thanks :)

Well, that's more praise I'm heaping on you then because it does sound like you've recorded this in a pro studio. And sorry, because your vocal was so special, I neglected to mention your music. But then, (I'm thinking out loud) is that a good thing? Everything fits perfectly. All one musical performance. A compliment that I'm not? Don't know. I did pick up on your ivory talents though. Very slick. Drums.... Darcy, I take it. :)

Yes, it's usually Darcy or Soft Drummer with me. I need something with restraint to conjure up that melancholy feeling.

• @Bluepunk said:
    @Halftone Going through some possibilities behind your song title. Open Shade. Like it. A fantastic job of amalgamating these two monster "G" apps together. Seamless, uncluttered. Loving your infectious bass line spiralling up, before tumbling hard down and popping nicely back into it's next cycle. Impeccable mix allows every wee flick etc, to be heard, felt and enjoyed. 3.35 was a highlight. Those echoes/delays weaved around inside my head creating a feeling that a threat of some sort was simmering away underneath and could erupt at any time But, you're shrewd and being nimble-fingered, you skilfully keep control, merely toying with our emotions. Good stuff. :)

@richardyot said:
    @Halftone love the dark atmosphere, very noir feeling track. Nice gradual buildup of instruments as well, with some great and varied choice of sounds. The nylon string guitar sound (presumably from Geo Shred) is a lovely contrast when it comes in, as it's a lighter sound than everything that precedes it.

Despite the great groove you have going with the drums and bass, it would be nice if there was a little bit of variety there, the drums and bass are quite static in the track as the melodic elements change around them. It would have been good to hear a change of gear or two in the rhythmic parts of the tune as well.

But it's great track, I always love listening to your stuff because of the great bass lines, interesting melodies, and evocative but dark atmospheres you create.

thanks guys. @richardyot - you have a keen ear, and I agree with you I could have changed things up a bit more bit the drums. But you're wrong on one count - the nylon guitar part was actually a Marseille guitar sound played performed in Gadget.

• @Halftone said:

@Bluepunk said:
    @Halftone Going through some possibilities behind your song title. Open Shade. Like it. A fantastic job of amalgamating these two monster "G" apps together. Seamless, uncluttered. Loving your infectious bass line spiralling up, before tumbling hard down and popping nicely back into it's next cycle. Impeccable mix allows every wee flick etc, to be heard, felt and enjoyed. 3.35 was a highlight. Those echoes/delays weaved around inside my head creating a feeling that a threat of some sort was simmering away underneath and could erupt at any time But, you're shrewd and being nimble-fingered, you skilfully keep control, merely toying with our emotions. Good stuff. :)

@richardyot said:

thanks guys. @richardyot - you have a keen ear, and I agree with you I could have changed things up a bit more bit the drums. But you're wrong on one count - the nylon guitar part was actually a Marseille guitar sound played performed in Gadget.

Right - I thought I hadn't found that particular sound in Geo (and it doesn't really sound like Geo Shred), thanks for the clarification :)

• @gburks there's a slice of joyful chaos. I like the crazy melody your eight-year old came up with, and the treatment you gave it certainly emphasizes that youthful bounce. It's pretty loud and in-your-face, but it's fun. Love the James Bond sounding bit of synth at the end (reminds of of the Propellerheads version of On Her Majesty's Secret Service).

The artwork is perfect for the track as well.

• edited March 2017

@Bluepunk said:
    Cars What.

After the sales success of BP Speed scented aftershave , i had to ask myself, why aren't there ANY, "iffy substance taking assistance aids" fitted to our automobiles? A gap in the market perhaps. Inspiration...... the "barking' mad taxi driver in Barcelona. He was on coke and had great difficulty cutting it, when driving fast-er. Musically, a first attempt at playing in two different keys...... on purpose. Not a clue which ones and i doubt you'll be able to tell either. Rick might. Had to rush the vocals through today as singing time is scarce next week. I'm not happy with the tone or delivery but it is one for the pot.

Poly Tonal is a rip off. She had a beautiful sister back in the day who started all this. She wore X-ray Spex. Woof Woof. ;)

Mad as a hatter box of rocks etc. thinking of Mister Berry and the Martians (et. al.) defining human civilization by way of his music and then wondering what they'd make of the geography/automotive lesson you just gave them :)

It's like you are an Attenborough of the Netherworld. A place where things happen fast, soundtracked by sarcasm, and are carrying on at all times behind doors which most of us are unaware exist. All delivered in an increasingly Taffy-apple voice :)