Audiobus: Use your music apps together.
What is Audiobus? — Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.Download on the App Store
Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.
Why do I prefer Caustic to Gadget (?)
An open ended question, and an unsettled one at that.
First the grasping-mind, addict reasons:
1. BM3 isn't out yet.
2. Caustic just had a massive update (best app is the newest app, sort of thing. In this case the best app is the most recently updated, as in my favorite color is "shiny")
1. Caustic is $10, the cost of one gadget, say Bilbao
2. Caustic's Bilbao (Beatbox) is better than Bilbao by a country mile, and Beatbox wasn't an IAP
3. New machines aren't IAPs
4. Caustic has a vocoder
5. Caustic has a modular synth
6. Caustic has a Karplus-Strong synth
7. Caustic has a 3 Op FM synth
8. Caustic is skinnable
9. Caustic has a community, where presets and skins are shared
10. Caustic has the best YouTube tutorials in iOS
11. Caustic's PCM synth (like its Beatbox) can import (AudioShare) and load user samples (so many of Gadgets synths are PCM, but none load your stuff)
12. Caustic's PCM synth can load patches you make in-app using any and all of its machines ("Merge Rack to Instrument")
13. Caustic has its own standalone .wav editor.
1. Caustic dev is one guy
2. He makes those fantastic tutorials himself
3. I really like the way he sounds in the tutorials. Not just that he's obviously a very smart guy, but his voice is reasonable and reassuring when he's explaining topics that were over my head before I watched his stuff
4. I find Caustic's instrument's GUIs to be approachable in a way that Gadgets is not. This not only because you can make your own GUI, but because the sheen of Gadgets skeumorphism can be off putting, impenetrable in the sense that I don't fuck around with sounds as freely inside it as I do in Caustic.
5. Caustics midi-editor and song mode are also easier for me to dig into. This may also belong in the "app-specific" category, (in terms of midi editing tools and song block building) but what I'm actually getting at is the homey-ness of the editors as much as their functionality.