Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Why do I prefer Caustic to Gadget (?)

Comments

• edited February 2017

@ExAsperis99 said:
    So all those imaschine kits that comrades on this site have so kindly provided to me – I can use those in caustic somehow?

Yes, if the files are labeled by note names (i.e. C3, F#2 etc) with no weirdness like: /, _

A better fit I've found are the instruments from BeatMaker 2 IAPs, some of which are labeled already or at least have their midi note numbers (048, 072 etc) that can be translated to fit the needed note name format. Really any multisampled instrument from whatever library, with correct note naming, works. Zip em then import into PCMSynth Presets.

And then there's AB recording direct into the standalone wave editor for rolling your own...started with DRC "Water Synth" preset last night. Gorgeous.

• edited February 2017

@LucidMusicInc said:

@Maarten said:
    @BiancaNeve I have a big collection of nice user instruments for Xewtons Music Studio, but Caustic crashes every time I try to import one. Do you know if there is a workaround for this?

Check the sample bitrate.

Sorry I only said most, if I recall correctly he reverse engineered it in FL Studio where you could export instr for use in FL Studio mobile. I think the issue with exports from Music Studio had to do with stereo samples but it was a long time ago.

• Anyone else not have the factory presets for any synths?

Or is there a new step in accessing the presets on ipad?

Not iPhone, that was fine.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

>

And then there's AB recording direct into the standalone wave editor for rolling your own...started with DRC "Water Synth" preset last night. Gorgeous.

Wow. I was going to meekly ask how to pull this off, but then I remembered that there are several excellent YouTube tutorials from the developer.

• @RustiK said:
    Anyone else not have the factory presets for any synths?

You found a bug,,
    Did you load Caustic inside AB or IAA and did not extract the content? Try reinstalling and launch it as standalone first.

• @anickt said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Has the dev discussed the possibility of Link?

I wouldn't bet on it since the app was originally created for android and that's a big part of the user base apparently.

>

Considering link has started showing up on android now it might be possible to still get it. Remixlive recently added link on android.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@anickt said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Has the dev discussed the possibility of Link?

I wouldn't bet on it since the app was originally created for android and that's a big part of the user base apparently.

>

Considering link has started showing up on android now it might be possible to still get it. Remixlive recently added link on android.

I didn't know Link is on Android. I don't use it or follow it. Best place to bring that question up is in the Caustic site.

• @Korakios said:

@RustiK said:
    Anyone else not have the factory presets for any synths?

You found a bug,,
    Did you load Caustic inside AB or IAA and did not extract the content? Try reinstalling and launch it as standalone first.

Let me give it a whirl.

• It sounds awesome. If it had Link I would certainly be up in that.

• The fact that it's developed by one guy is not a plus in my book, as the future of the app is very fragile this way. Don't get me wrong, I'm really impressed by his work and think Caustic is amazing value for money, but if for some reason he no longer can or will develop the app, it dies right there.

The enthusiast in me really love Caustic with all the possibilities: vocoder, modular synth, resampling etc. but I must admit I find especially the font butt-ugly ;-)

Some of the skins help a bit, but it still feels too crude when you are used to the design aesthetics we get from Apple.

Also, practically I just realized that it must use some non-standard audio output function, as it does not work with my new AirPods. Even though they are useless for recording (due to latency) they are ok for a quick mixing session on the train. They work fine in Gadget so it must be a Caustic thing. Minor I know - but everything counts.

I'm pretty sure I would have an easier time loving Caustic if the design was more pleasing - call me shallow but looks do count, even in a DAW ;-)

• Caustic is now just about frickin' perfect except for the one nagging matter of incoming MIDI pitch bend (it does not record it, favoring its own very precise but unconventional mode of piano roll pitch bend notation). On the SubSynth and the Modsynth you can kind of work around it by assigning a mod wheel or xy pad to a CC for the "Cents" knob on the SubSynth/ModSynh. That only gives you +/- 1 semitone bend range though. (For comparison, the one nagging thing with Gadget for me is the lack of a linear Song mode -- a more damaging flaw for me than Caustic not accepting pitch bend)

• edited February 2017

I'm so glad I kept my iPad 1... seems like the newest iOS doesn't let iMazing or iFunbox into the sandboxes anymore. But I still have Music Studio and FL studio mobile on the old iPad, on iO6, with intact and accessible .inst files.
    If you own the FL Studio Mobile DirectWave and MusicStudio IAP libraries, but can't get at em, PM me. The Drumaxx, Sytrus, Harmor, Poizone etc samples, Varadzin stuff, the MusicStudio instruments (Shakuhachi!), tons of fun

• @Littlewoodg I'm assuming since Caustic was just updated it's 64bit and safe from becoming obsolete with iOS11?

• edited February 2017

@skiphunt said:
    @Littlewoodg I'm assuming since Caustic was just updated it's 64bit and safe from becoming obsolete with iOS11?

I have no idea...I'm going to be on 10 for a while either way, (unless iSequence goes 64bit I will update iOS no more, forever...)

• @skiphunt I installed it yesterday with no warning message so I think it's all good.

• @Peter321 said:
    The fact that it's developed by one guy is not a plus in my book, as the future of the app is very fragile this way. Don't get me wrong, I'm really impressed by his work and think Caustic is amazing value for money, but if for some reason he no longer can or will develop the app, it dies right there.

The enthusiast in me really love Caustic with all the possibilities: vocoder, modular synth, resampling etc. but I must admit I find especially the font butt-ugly ;-)

Some of the skins help a bit, but it still feels too crude when you are used to the design aesthetics we get from Apple.

Also, practically I just realized that it must use some non-standard audio output function, as it does not work with my new AirPods. Even though they are useless for recording (due to latency) they are ok for a quick mixing session on the train. They work fine in Gadget so it must be a Caustic thing. Minor I know - but everything counts.

I'm pretty sure I would have an easier time loving Caustic if the design was more pleasing - call me shallow but looks do count, even in a DAW ;-)

I can agree here in most parts.
    Especially the one man thing is also something i'm a bit scared about NanoStudio 2 for a long term future.
    It's very hard to put out major updates or even make some of your apps still running (hello Beepstreet).
    Also not sure if it's good or bad (maybe both) if an app is more a side project/hobby instead of a full time thing.
    For now Caustic works nice!

• @Littlewoodg said:

@skiphunt said:
    @Littlewoodg I'm assuming since Caustic was just updated it's 64bit and safe from becoming obsolete with iOS11?

I have no idea...I'm going to be on 10 for a while either way, (unless iSequence goes 64bit I will update iOS no more, forever...)

Yup

iSequence

Damn I need to use that.

Does that have IAA?

• I find Gadget stock sounds are miles ahead Caustic's, and the workflow is less Cumbersome.

With that said, Caustic is Extremely fun and Capable. I use it on multiple devices.

• edited February 2017

@Hex047 said:
    I find Gadget stock sounds are miles ahead Caustic's, and the workflow is less Cumbersome.

With that said, Caustic is Extremely fun and Capable. I use it on multiple devices.

the difference between a slice in Midtown and a brick-oven pie from Roberta's. I guess one is better than the other, but they're both pizza, and who doesn't like pizza?

• @RustiK said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@skiphunt said:

Yup

iSequence

Damn I need to use that.

Does that have IAA?

No IAA...or AB...audiopaste in/out, midi out, midi export.

• One front where IMO Gadget is an absolute winner is the sequencer area. I've messed around with Caustic before Gadget came out and I always found a brick wall when making longer sequences. It would simply get fiddly beyond useable.

Gadget on the other hand....

Yes it has less features overall but in terms of sound and usability Gadget trumps Caustic in my book. No pun intended.

• @supadom said:
    One front where IMO Gadget is an absolute winner is the sequencer area. I've messed around with Caustic before Gadget came out and I always found a brick wall when making longer sequences. It would simply get fiddly beyond useable.

>
    Truth. The Sequencer is the one aspect that Caustic's dev hasn't treated to a full blown YouTube tutorial. I'm also vexed that I can't pinch-zoom the piano roll or condense to relevant notes. But Caustic is so well designed and thought out that I suspect there's a simple solution I'm overlooking....

• @Peter321 said:
    The fact that it's developed by one guy is not a plus in my book, as the future of the app is very fragile this way. Don't get me wrong, I'm really impressed by his work and think Caustic is amazing value for money, but if for some reason he no longer can or will develop the app, it dies right there.

It looks like it was made for windows 98. The way things look actually matters to some people, and I like sexy looking apps. Auxy, model 15, AUM, GADGET.

• edited February 2017

I realize I'm the opposite where looks are concerned. I hate the shade of blue that Gadget has a background for its sequencer and clip mode, and beautifully rendered skuemorphic instruments ultimately leave me cold- I like flat, or something with whimsy that I can change out, or an HD version of the homey gui that Caustic shipped with (a user skin called "Julia"). There's a nice HD black consoles one too.

pinch zoom gestures in sequences would be nice in Caustic, but for song mode Caustic is so much easier to build in. If you're going for clip/scenes like Gadget, they're much better executed in Modstep. (Or the future BM3?) Gadget song mode is far from intuitive in that regard

• Building a song in Gadget can get tedious. If scenes were draggable it might be different. I liked Modstep at first but too unstable. Caustic just flows for me.

• @anickt said:
    Building a song in Gadget can get tedious. If scenes were draggable it might be different. I liked Modstep at first but too unstable. Caustic just flows for me.

Umm...but in Gadget scenes are draggable...? I just did it. Or do you mean patterns in a scene?

• @Littlewoodg said:
    I realize I'm the opposite where looks are concerned. I hate the shade of blue that Gadget has a background for its sequencer and clip mode, and beautifully rendered skuemorphic instruments ultimately leave me cold- I like flat, or something with whimsy that I can change out, or an HD version of the homey gui that Caustic shipped with (a user skin called "Julia"). There's a nice HD black consoles one too.

pinch zoom gestures in sequences would be nice in Caustic, but for song mode Caustic is so much easier to build in. If you're going for clip/scenes like Gadget, hey're much better executed in Modstep. (Or the future BM3?) Gadget song mode is far from intuitive in that regard

Reminds me of a line in a song I recently wrote for a sound track..........

"I am an analog man, in a digital world"

• @hellquist said:

@anickt said:
    Building a song in Gadget can get tedious. If scenes were draggable it might be different. I liked Modstep at first but too unstable. Caustic just flows for me.

Umm...but in Gadget scenes are draggable...? I just did it. Or do you mean patterns in a scene?

Right!

• @Littlewoodg said:

pinch zoom gestures in sequences would be nice in Caustic, but for song mode Caustic is so much easier to build in. If you're going for clip/scenes like Gadget, they're much better executed in Modstep. (Or the future BM3?) Gadget song mode is far from intuitive in that regard

I hope gadget will allow a different background color eventually. The blue does get old after a while. As for the gadgets, I love the look of most of them.

• The look of any of them is less important to me than workflow. With Caustic I can get into a groove with no roadblocks. FLSM is pretty close. Gadget a bit less so than the others. That being said, I'm quite happy to have all three!