Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Why do I prefer Caustic to Gadget (?)

Comments

• @Littlewoodg said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@db909 said:
    Loving the pcm synth. Already put some Animoog in there. its awesome that you can just keep applying fx to the samples in the editor. Wish I had picked this up long ago

And for PCMSynth there's also this: (inside the standalone editor)

Which used to be an Easter egg, where you can make these

To then bake effects into, then to load into PCM.

That kind of thing, with drawable waveforms in Subsynth, and BassLine, then baked together with the Merge Rack into Instrument tool...Scientific Super Synth!

All well and sciency Lieutenant, but more importantly what skin is that?

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@db909 said:
    Loving the pcm synth. Already put some Animoog in there. its awesome that you can just keep applying fx to the samples in the editor. Wish I had picked this up long ago

That kind of thing, with drawable waveforms in Subsynth, and BassLine, then baked together with the Merge Rack into Instrument tool...Scientific Super Synth!

It's the "Julia" one from the user forum, its HD. http://www.singlecellsoftware.com/node/15019 (Have to sign in...)

Did create an account, but find Julia too hard to figure out how to load. Got to the directory of 64 .tgas and came over all old-fashioned :)

• @Looping_Loddar said:
    Another great thing: You get for nearly every synth a slide option when it it splayed in mono.

Where? How?

• edited February 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@db909 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@db909 said:

It's the "Julia" one from the user forum, its HD. http://www.singlecellsoftware.com/node/15019 (Have to sign in...)

Did create an account, but find Julia too hard to figure out how to load. Got to the directory of 64 .tgas and came over all old-fashioned :)

@JohnnyGoodyear - should just be a simple Open In. You don't have to go into any directories.

EDIT - I see it doesn't offer Caustic as an Open In destination as it should. That's weird. I looked at it. Looks like the download is stripping the extenstion. If you can download it to a file manager or such and add the extension (.causticpack) it will open fine in Caustic. Something to do with Google Drive I assume.

• edited February 2017

This was supposed to attach above...
    There is another called "comic"

• edited February 2017

@anickt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@db909 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@db909 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear - should just be a simple Open In. You don't have to go into any directories.

EDIT - I see it doesn't offer Caustic as an Open In destination as it should. That's weird. I looked at it. Looks like the download is stripping the extenstion. If you can download it to a file manager or such and add the extension (.causticpack) it will open fine in Caustic. Something to do with Google Drive I assume.

Happened to me also (couldn't get there) then I found-
    On this screen

You hit the upper right arrow

Then you get to the "can't scan for viruses" screen and u touch the blue "download anyway" blue rectangle, then you get the "open in" you are looking for...

• @Littlewoodg said:

@anickt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@db909 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@db909 said:

On this screen

Then you get to the "can't scan for viruses" screen and u touch the blue "download anyway" blue rectangle, then you get the "open in" you are looking for...

Interesting - I got to the Open In screen but Caustic wasn't a choice. I downloaded to Documents and added the extension to the filename and it worked then.

• Thanks chaps: @anickt, @Littlewoodg. Will give it another fiddle....

• edited February 2017

Question about patterns in Caustic. I have a simple piano melody playing in A1. I created a variation in A2. I was alternating between them manually. But now when I switched to A2, A1 still plays in addition to A2. The actual midi notes from A1 are not in A2. It doesn't sound bad, really, but it's not what I want.

FIXED: it occurred to me immediately after that that I tried to use vocoder, and I had sent the first pattern there. Didn't show up when I soloed vocoder, but once I deleted the instrument, the phantom melody was gone.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Question about patterns in Caustic. I have a simple piano melody playing in A1. I created a variation in A2. I was alternating between them manually. But now when I switched to A2, A1 still plays in addition to A2. The actual midi notes from A1 are not in A2. It doesn't sound bad, really, but it's not what I want.

FIXED: it occurred to me immediately after that that I tried to use vocoder, and I had sent the first pattern there. Didn't show up when I soloed vocoder, but once I deleted the instrument, the phantom melody was gone.

Make sure you watch the tutorial videos on YouTube. They are very well done.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CausticApp

• Watch them religiously. Apparently I need to review the Vocoder one.

• Gadget looks like an over dressed hooker all fussed up and painted. Caustic in default skins looks like a purpose dressed farm girl. The farm girl has more under the hood than the hooker who although looking fancy doesnt have the same IQ. Ive owned most of the beatbox/groovestation/drum machine things and Caustic kicks all their booties up and down the road. Fast, smooth, deep and well thought out with the best tutorials ive seen on youtube. I see that purple skin up above on the bassline synth and see that Caustic has out-hookered Gadget. Woof. A little tip on the Caustic effects is to use the comb filter and turn the freq knob all the way counter clockwise to add a lot of presence, works good on some passages.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Watch them religiously. Apparently I need to review the Vocoder one.

:D

• Still perusing and finding it to be very good on the whole, but find the sequencer to be rather limiting. Anyone with more experience care to chip in ?

• @Igneous1 said:
    Still perusing and finding it to be very good on the whole, but find the sequencer to be rather limiting. Anyone with more experience care to chip in ?

Touch a note and drag it up, down, sideways. Lasso a group of notes and delete. Select all the notes, touch one of the selected and drag them all up or down. You can transpose also by long pressing the corresponding number above the grid. Select grid and un quantize then you can drag a note out of its little home to anywhere for that funky stuff.

• @Igneous1 said:
    Still perusing and finding it to be very good on the whole, but find the sequencer to be rather limiting. Anyone with more experience care to chip in ?

If there's a particular limitation, function, or use-case type question? I'm sure someone has an answer...I'm learning a shitload from Caustic users that have dropped by

• @anickt said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@anickt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@db909 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@db909 said:

On this screen

Interesting - I got to the Open In screen but Caustic wasn't a choice. I downloaded to Documents and added the extension to the filename and it worked then.

The Google Drive app file name extension export bug has been around for over six months and has been brought to their attention but has yet to be fixed.

• @InfoCheck said:

@anickt said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@anickt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@db909 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@db909 said:

On this screen

The Google Drive app file name extension export bug has been around for over six months and has been brought to their attention but has yet to be fixed.

Wondering if I got past it (the file name extension bug) by being signed in to Google? I used the steps as my post, and "open in caustic" appeared, no prob.

• Been having fun learning Infinite Looper and lately been trying to delve into Sunvox and now there's this excellent talk about Caustic which I've had for some time but have ashamedly not done much with...time to investigate
    The only problem is multitasking doesn't always work out :)

• Question @Littlewoodg. When I create a merged instrument and load it back into the PCM synth, I can't get it to respond to adsr settings or the loop settings I adjust in the PCM synth. It just wants to play the whole sample through no matter what. What am I doing wrong here?

• @db909 said:
    Question @Littlewoodg. When I create a merged instrument and load it back into the PCM synth, I can't get it to respond to adsr settings or the loop settings I adjust in the PCM synth. It just wants to play the whole sample through no matter what. What am I doing wrong here?

Did you adjust the Hold Time and Release Time on the Export Instrument menu? Also, the default Mode is Play Once which will play the entire sample. Try Note On/Off or else get into the looping. Check out the tutorials. The loop editor is pretty well implemented.

• @anickt yeah I gave it a decent sized hold, hoping to then go into to the loop editor and choose a loop point so it could be sustained as long as a key is held down, but it seems to still just play the whole through once, and the adsr on the pcm synth has no effect. I don't have this problem with regular samples, just merged instruments

• Ok I figured it out it's because I was only adjusting the playback mode for one sample range, and then not hitting notes in that range. So how do you set the playback mode for all samples? Even when I hold down the mode button, and it says "playback mode for all samples" and then I adjust things, it still doesn't affect all samples

• @db909 said:
    Ok I figured it out it's because I was only adjusting the playback mode for one sample range, and then not hitting notes in that range. So how do you set the playback mode for all samples? Even when I hold down the mode button, and it says "playback mode for all samples" and then I adjust things, it still doesn't affect all samples

It should. It's working that way for me. Try holding down the Mode button and rotating the dial to the mode you want. Then make sure to save the preset

• @anickt
    Good note, I always forget to save stuff, that's what gets me every time.

• @anickt got the playback figured out. I guess the issue is I can't adjust the start and end points in the loop editor for all samples, it only affects the currently selected one. so to get what I want I have to resample just one note of choice so it will pitch that all across the keyboard with the chosen loop editor settings. Unless there's another way

• edited February 2017

@Littlewoodg said:

@Igneous1 said:

If there's a particular limitation, function, or use-case type question? I'm sure someone has an answer...I'm learning a shitload from Caustic users that have dropped by

Some Observations regarding the Sequencer:

Can't vertically zoom / page doesn't fit screen (oddly)
    Does only allow for 14 instruments (?)
    Can't zoom out full to see whole song
    How to split patterns in the Sequencer ?
    Can't copy / paste pattern data between instrument tracks (?)

Please note, these are not complaints, as such, just some things I've observed that more knowledgeable people may be able to help with.

• @db909 said:
    @anickt got the playback figured out. I guess the issue is I can't adjust the start and end points in the loop editor for all samples, it only affects the currently selected one. so to get what I want I have to resample just one note of choice so it will pitch that all across the keyboard with the chosen loop editor settings. Unless there's another way

You can use just one sample. You may find it works OK in the range you need and you're done.

For some sounds you have to multisample and loop each sample to get good results.

This is true of any sampler and not just a Caustic thing.

• @Igneous1 said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@Igneous1 said:

Please note, these are not complaints, as such, just some things I've observed that more knowledgeable people may be able to help with.

No vertical zoom. Just scroll.
    14 instruments only.
    Can't zoom out full.

Caustic was built to work on practically any platform (particularly small phones) and these limitations are due to that.

There's no way I know of to split patterns.
    You can copy notes between instruments in pattern mode.

I don't normally do either of these things so there may be other possibilities.

• @Igneous1 said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@Igneous1 said:

You can't vertically zoom the piano roll in a lot of apps but in Caustic you can adjust the default piano roll size as well as the size of the keys on the instruments. Check the options, you can choose between small medium and big.

Copy and paste works fine but it has to be done in the pattern editor view.

• Really like the Julia skin, best one I've seen so far