Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song of the Month Club - October

Comments

• edited October 2015

@Bluepunk said:
    Thank you. I can hear the difference from the first version, which, like everyone had rightly said, was far too low. I've just got to get this valuable & much appreciated lesson engrained into my head/ears ready for the next entry. :)

I think everyone goes through this process when learning to mix their own vocals. It's partly because you know what you're singing, so you kind of assume that everyone else can hear the words as clearly as you can. And also in many cases (and I'm certainly guilty of this) it's hard not to feel self-conscious about your voice, so there's a tendency to mix it lower as a result.

There was certainly no need for you to feel self-conscious though, the vocal delivery is excellent, but it's only on the third mix that I could really hear how good it actually was. And remember that for most people, the vocal is the only thing they really pay attention to, so if you've got a good voice (and you have) make the most the most of it! In fact I'm jealous that there are people who seem to be able to sing without having to put in years of practice first, Johnny Goodyear, LostBoy85 and yourself included. Your lucky wives/other halves have not had to endure the sound of cats being strangled every evening in the front room, just delightful and tuneful melodies emanating from the wardrobe.

• @richardyot You are far, far too kind but my singing is more talking with a less than convincing or sounding, snarl. Both @LostBoy85 & @JohnnyGoodyear that you mentioned have real singing voices & as I have read & agree with, "Feel the Breeze" demonstrates how good your singing voice is.

The only thing I have in common with LostBoy85 is that I don't use/have a mic. He amazes me how he gets that quality of vocal, without a mic, sang in a car or wardrobe. He & others on here have the raw materials needed..............a bloody good voice!

I balanced the back rest part of a old mesh deck chair in front of the iPad to try to lessen some of the sssss's & tttttt's that were there without it. It made more of a difference than I expected. A DIY pop filter thingy! I need every penny for those headphones!

Again, thank you for sharing your valid points above. I really appreciate the compliments.

• edited October 2015

@richardyot I really like it! I think the guitars sound beautiful, and there is just the right amount of synth for the bass and in the chorus. Your vocals keep getting better, I like the lesser amount of effects you have in them. The chorus is gorgeous! As @JohnnyGoodyear said you jade a computer. The last minute was huge by the way.

• @JohnnyGoodyear, @LostBoy85, and @BvsMV thanks for the positive feedback. Making progress is what I focus on, even when my output is disappointing me (like last month), so it's good to hear confirmation of that progress from other more impartial ears.

• Funny that @Bluepunk should mention the comparison between Bernard Sumner's voice and your own @richardyot. A new order track came on the radio the other day and I found myself thinking "this sounds like Richard from the AB forum" quite independently of mr punk. I think you've done a great job with your track this month. Much more confident and easier to listen to as a result ;). I think the other half of the battle with singing is finding the right style of music to fit your voice. The comparison with Bernard Sumner may provide some pointers with this for future directions in your music.

• edited October 2015

@Bluepunk and @richardyot thanks!
    Stay safe this Halloween! ;)

btw @richardyot: : I just listened to Stonehenge by Spinal Tap on Youtube. Not heard it for ages and didn't realise how close it matches the style of my track! lol :)

• @AlterEgo_UK, The start up reminds me of, well actually it continues through the song, the main synth. Of the Halloween Theme. Not exactly like it, but similar. That is a very eerie song. Cool for Halloween for sure. Simple little synth riff, and spooooooky.

• @High5denied: Thanks! Actually I did consciously choose the 4 notes so they were similar but not the same as the Twilight Zone theme (and therefore maybe Halloween Theme) :)

• @Bluepunk said:
    I balanced the back rest part of a old mesh deck chair in front of the iPad to try to lessen some of the sssss's & tttttt's that were there without it. It made more of a difference than I expected. A DIY pop filter thingy! I need every penny for those headphones!

I love this. Necessity/mother/invention etc. Wardrobes, old deck chairs. Brilliant.

• Yet another exclusively Korg Gadget realised offering. In my usual structureless, avant-noodling, dancing-challenge style. (Mastered on the Desktop this time)

• @Igneous1 said:

Funky !

• @Igneous1

Very cool groove. Lot's of funky sounds in there like pierre noted ;). I like it. Fun little tune to jam to.

• @Igneous1 Got one word for ya:

• @Igneous1 I enjoyed that tremendously, bobbed my head along all the way through. The solid groove holds it all together and gives a framework to hang the changing structure on. I loved all the lead instruments, it felt very funky and fun.

• Ok, here is a song of mine, I did some mixing, and maybe some mastering, as in A limiter some EQ. But............ I'm looking for some feedback on this please. Any and everything.

It was just an instrumental, but I decided to add some vocals. Not sure if they quite fit. Interesting to know yer thoughts, and what I can do to improve/fix the song up. Thanks!

Also, I am not sure why, but the mixdown is really quite? I'm not trying to win any Loudness wars, but would at least like it so one wouldn't need to crank the volume knob. Any ideas? It sounded decent right before I mixed it down, even when I had it as a new track mixdown.

• @High5denied have only had a listen with the iPad speakers but I enjoyed this track. You have a good sense of melody and progression although it did seem to grind a bit with the robot vocals in the middle. Didn't seem to quiet to me but the relative volumes could probably do with a bit of tweaking. Your singing was good apart from the odd little strain. People often put too many effects on vocals (yes I know I do) but it seemed like you could have used s little compression and maybe some ambience on the voice to make it sit better. Great stuff though and I'll be giving it another couple of listens with my headphones later.

• @Igneous1: good groove an plenty of different sounds going on there!

@High5denied: yes, very quiet for me too compared to @Igneous1's track but again a good groove and a nice ethnic feel. Didn't think the robotic voice fit too well though and it did seem a bit too loud compared to the other tracks. If you normalised the track that could account for it sounding quiet overall. :)

• @Jocphone and @AlterEgo_UK Thanks for the listen, and the comments and ideas I really appreciate it. You're giving me exactly what I want to hear. Appreciate it! I tried to get a more subtle computerized sound for the vocals in the two sections of the song. But couldn't come up with anything.

Yes, the odd little strain. My 4 year old upstairs coloring while I try to lay down a vocal track, only gave me two takes. lol..... I know there are a few area's I need to punch in and re-record.

I figured out why it was so quiet, the reverb I have on the master track, the output got turned waaay down. I'm fixing that. Thanks guys.

• Ok, I took out the Robotic/distorted vocals. Appears to be louder. I used Figure, Thumbjam, Auria, Alchemy, maybe a few others, can't remember.

Thanks for listening, and commenting.

• Well that's better @High5denied, but the vocals still need bringing out (louder?).

Forgot to say, I love the energy and the drums on your track. Did you program all those drum variations? What did you create them in?

• Many thanks to everyone who has commented so positively on my track this month.

We recently had to put our canine friend to sleep after having looked after her for over 14 and a half years. I haven't felt like doing very much creatively since, but I managed to get this track finished. So it means quite a lot.

• Sorry to hear that. Our dog is 12, so I dread the day that she is no longer with us.

• @Igneous1 First, sorry to hear of your sad news & to even contemplate creating a new tune is a real achievement.

Groovy, danceable number that shook me out of my morning lethargy, so thanks, it's worked. My ears were drawn straight to the great drumming. The seamless changing of where the snare hits hit for example at 0.15, 0.35, 0.42 & 0.49 was unexpected & inspired. The build up at 1.10 was manically great & fitted well into your song.

Lots of wonderful sounds in your choppy, groovy happy sounding vibe that you've done well to make & play at this sad time. Both thumbs up from me.

• @Igneous Ah man,that sucks! We lost a four year old dog a while back to poisoning:( it's horrible,I feel your pain mate but I have two other dogs now 3 & 18 months and I was assured by there breeder that they are immortal so no worries for me!:D

Ps.Great track mate! Quite different from your other stuff I thought.Gettin yaw funk on!!:)

• Thumpingly deep bass drum married with a snap tight snare completely carries your tune along its wonderful journey. What drums are they?

The riff is infectious full stop. I particularly love the chorus section 2.08 to 3.04. The guitar riff & sound amongst this part hit my sweet spot, before it kicks back in again.

You've a great voice & agree about "upping" the vocals a tad, (I've had my issues with this as well). Your song, style & sound reminds me of some of the post punk bands. I can't put my finger on exactly who but it's the feeling it creates in me. A very well played & sung, top tune indeed.

• @High5denied Hey man,wow! Well I can tell you put a lot into this mate.You have a cool voice so don't be shy with it,bring it up in the mix as its a little quiet:)
    I love the lyrics,it's mostly song titles right? Anyone who manages to reference Roxette songs in their track is fine by me! Haha! Great job! On this one occasion will you accept my high five??:D

• @High5denied the vocals definitely need to come up some more, it's really hard to follow the lyrics at the moment. Also as Jocphone said some compression and a little reverb might help them. I think the singing and melodies are good, but it's really hard to judge them when they are buried in the mix.

There's an interesting mix of sounds going on there, I'd quite like to see how this style develops over the coming months.

• @High5denied

@Bluepunk said:
    Thumpingly deep bass drum married with a snap tight snare completely carries your tune along its wonderful journey. What drums are they?

The riff is infectious full stop. I particularly love the chorus section 2.08 to 3.04. The guitar riff & sound amongst this part hit my sweet spot, before it kicks back in again.

You've a great voice & agree about "upping" the vocals a tad, (I've had my issues with this as well). Your song, style & sound reminds me of some of the post punk bands. I can't put my finger on exactly who but it's the feeling it creates in me. A very well played & sung, top tune indeed.

• Hey @richardyot, I had my track set to private before, can you update the link to this?