Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

PSA: Don't update to iOS 12.4 if you use apps in AB output slot or IAA apps that use the mic.

Comments

• @supadom said:
    At a cost of sounding melodramatic. I sense the end of an era. In a cliff edge kind of way.
    I'm definitely putting my pro 10.5 on a permanent flight mode until I see a solid way forward. I finally found my solid live work flow with a bit of a wobble about a month ago. I'm honestly not prepared to risk that for some random ios or apps uodates.

Yep, this is almost always the best way to go. If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is. I mean, the other thing.

• edited July 2019

@Michael said:

@Janosax said:
    Super frustrating, GarageBand is broken. AUM, Loopy and Blocswave still work. For production it’s already an issue, can’t imagine for those who have a live setup broken. Hopefully mine is not.

Oh can you tell me more about GB being broken? The bug as I understand it means that apps that are launched into the background which use the mic are busted 'till they're brought into the foreground. But GarageBand (a) must be launched into the foreground in Audiobus because it doesn't support background launching, so it's fine there (and works for me), and (b) GarageBand immediately launches IAA apps it hosts into the foreground, so that bypasses the issue from the other end. So, should be fine as far as I understand it.

Edit: Oh - that's weird. (b) is totally false, dunno what happened the first time I tried it. Yeah, that would break.

It doesn’t work anymore even with something else than mic. For example, launching GB in AB then routing Ruismaker Noir to GB don’t route any audio.

Just let’s hope it’s a temporary issue...

• @Janosax said:
    It doesn’t work anymore even with something else than mic. For example, launching GB in AB then routing Ruismaker Noir to GB don’t route any audio.

That's weird! It works for me! Mind reproducing it and doing a "Get Support"?

• @Michael said:

@Janosax said:

That's weird! It works for me! Mind reproducing it and doing a "Get Support"?

Ok

• @Janosax said:

@Michael said:

@Janosax said:
    Super frustrating, GarageBand is broken. AUM, Loopy and Blocswave still work. For production it’s already an issue, can’t imagine for those who have a live setup broken. Hopefully mine is not.

Oh can you tell me more about GB being broken? The bug as I understand it means that apps that are launched into the background which use the mic are busted 'till they're brought into the foreground. But GarageBand (a) must be launched into the foreground in Audiobus because it doesn't support background launching, so it's fine there (and works for me), and (b) GarageBand immediately launches IAA apps it hosts into the foreground, so that bypasses the issue from the other end. So, should be fine as far as I understand it.

Edit: Oh - that's weird. (b) is totally false, dunno what happened the first time I tried it. Yeah, that would break.

Hmm, every time I've tried routing audio into GB via Audiobus it has recorded/placed the audio too early. That kind of thing you cannot fix. I guess it's avoidable if you use a scrap bar at the start but that's annoying.

• edited July 2019

@BroCoast said:

@Janosax said:

@Michael said:

@Janosax said:

Hmm, every time I've tried routing audio into GB via Audiobus it has recorded/placed the audio too early. That kind of thing you cannot fix. I guess it's avoidable if you use a scrap bar at the start but that's annoying.

I’ve recorded lot of stuff from AB that way, arranging them in GB. You have to 1- use midi clock to Link in AB 2- move regions to adjust timing (zoom at max region disable snap to grid, then adjust start/end). Everything IAA will need some adjustments, same with Blocswave.

Edit: in my experience GB has kind of recording buffer, so even if it’s too early you have some margin « before the first beat » which is recorded even if not displayed in region.
    Edit 2: using AB midi clock to Link latency compensation slider you can avoid post recording adjustments too :-)

• edited July 2019

I’ve downloaded iOS 12.3.1 IPSW file and was able to downgrade from 12.4 via iTunes. Everything works again. My 7 Plus will be frozen on that 12.3.1 version 🥵

• Wow! Bravo

• edited July 2019

@Michael said:
    Wow! Bravo

Thanks!! I don’t for how long ipsw file will be available, but I know it will be short. Isn’t it one week after latest release? For those interested, don’t forget to backup everything music related or not before downgrading.

• @Janosax said:
    I’ve downloaded iOS 12.3.1 IPSW file and was able to downgrade from 12.4 via iTunes. Everything works again. My 7 Plus will be frozen on that 12.3.1 version 🥵

I'm not really familiar with downgrading. Where do you download iOS 12.3.1 IPSW file and how does this process work?

• edited July 2019

@greengrocer I’ve downloaded the file on my laptop here, tap the link for your device:

http://osxdaily.com/2019/05/24/ios-12-3-1-update-iphone-ipad-ipsw-download/

Then follow those instructions for using iTunes, use a healthy lightning wire:

http://osxdaily.com/2010/11/23/how-to-use-ipsw-files/

• @Janosax said:
    @greengrocer I’ve downloaded the file on my laptop here, tap the link for your device:

http://osxdaily.com/2019/05/24/ios-12-3-1-update-iphone-ipad-ipsw-download/

Then follow those instructions for using iTunes, use a healthy lightning wire:

http://osxdaily.com/2010/11/23/how-to-use-ipsw-files/

Thanks! I'll give it a shot :)

• @supadom said:

Hence possibly the mic permissions screwed up.

If this is really the case this promises not much for iOS 13...

• edited August 2019

Cubasis 2. Also see issue with mic recording (in-built Mic or external USB via Lightning). Recording works, until add AU3. Then work intermittently. Seems to improve with hard reboot.

Latest app update with latest IOS, iPadPro 10.5 2017

• So has anyone tried all this in iOS/iPadOS whatever 13? I know still in beta but curious, for those that have installed it on another device. I only have a single iOS device now so not about to walk that line...

• IOS12.4.1 is supposed to drop soon so maybe that’ll include some fixes too...

• edited August 2019

What is a pain is that auto 12.4 wifi download/notification after downgrading to 12.3.1... not cool 😡

• Speaking of which - anyone tried the 12.3.1 downgrade recently? Still working?

• edited August 2019

I was able to block iOS update WiFi download and constant notifications following that tutorial and installing TVOS 12 beta configuration profile:

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/12/11/block-ios-updates/

My 7 Plus is now up to date on 12.3.1:

• Nice trick

• edited August 2019

Yeah!!! Audiobus output slot workflow dependant and lover here, don’t want to lose that ✊

• @Samu said:
    This should put some pressure on Apple too as it affects GarageBand when it's making connections to IAA apps :)
    (Especially when opening saved sessions that connect to to IAA apps as it's crash-time for GarageBand).

I do wonder if this 'bug' is still present in iPadOS/iOS13?

Hey @Samu, do you have any crash logs for GarageBand I could pass along to the team? And can you tell me more about the issues you're seeing, aside from the crashes?

• @Michael said:

Hey @Samu, do you have any crash logs for GarageBand I could pass along to the team? And can you tell me more about the issues you're seeing, aside from the crashes?

No crashlogs left on my iOS devices as they get 'sent over' when I do a sync with iTunes on my computer :(
    I've honestly 'moved on' from using IAA's and focus primarily on AUv3's.

The problem consists of IAA's refusing to load which hang/freeze GarageBand so it needs to be 'swiped off the screen'.
    In some cases I get thrown back to the home-screen...

So all in all GarageBand is not as good as say for example AUM when it comes to loading IAA's.

To minimise damage I usually try to launch the offending apps prior to loading the GB session where they are used.

I'd say that the sooner we get rid of IAA the happier I will be :)

• Got it, okay =) Thanks for that!

• edited August 2019

Without IAA working properly on long term, my workflow will simply be broken.

I can’t see how to manage that easily cpu ressources on iOS devices without rendering sound as audio all along a project. Sometimes AU freezing don’t work properly in some DAW’s. That’s one thing. But also, I like to record some apps like apeMatrix or Gadget in sync with other apps straight in GarageBand, Blocswave or Grouptheloop to build my sound material quickly without doing some tedious import/export. More intuitive, and is a must have live setup feature too.

So, if iOS lose that Audiobus apps routing capability, the platform will lose some interest for me too. Modularity is a big part of the fun IMO. And this is even while using AUV3 80 % of the time.

• edited August 2019

Good afternoon all,

iOS updated itself to 12.4.1.
    iPad Pro 9.7 1st gen 256Gb

BM3 doesn't load into AUM anymore, keeps on crashing.
    Tried using Audiobus 2 to route audio into AUM
    which used to work but doesn't anymore.
    Yes, I'm still using Audiobus 2, bought it the week before
    Audiobus 3 came out so went Auria Pro the, AUM instead.

Any suggestions because my parallel
    compression stuff has now gone Pete Tong.

Haven't tried Auria Pro yet.

Most probably will try a roll back over the next few days.

Thank you in advance.

Edit.

BM3 now doesn't load into Auria Pro
    Yep, tried a reboot.
    Crackling and jitter now on playback where there wasn't before.
    All IAA standalone apps run, haven't tested them all through AUM yet.

Updating as I go along.

Peace.

Edit ii.

AUM and BM3 weren't sharing the information about buffer size.
    AUM was set at 128 samples and BM3 was at 512 samples.
    Reset the buffer rate and BM3 is now running through AUM

Audiobus 2 is now working again.

Okay that was temporary.

BM3 into Auria Pro is definitely broken.

AUM ports into Auria Pro are also broken.

Hhhmmm annoying.

• As with many IAA apps it's good practice to launch the IAA app first before making any connections to it in other apps.
    (So if there is a need to connect an IAA app to for example AUM launch the app first then do the IAA connection in AUM).

I never really liked IAA and thankfully I never will now that it's finally being deprecated by Apple...

• @Samu that was the first port of call.

Thank you for the suggestion though.

This discussion has been closed.