Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

PSA: Don't update to iOS 12.4 if you use apps in AB output slot or IAA apps that use the mic.

Comments

• edited August 2019

@Gravitas said:
    Okay, I've got BM3 through into Auria Pro again.

BM3 first
    AUM next (making sure the buffer size is the same)
    in AUM open up audio port out
    Run Auria Pro and then open up AUM port into channel.

It works, going to make sure that it works every time.

Can you record a video showing this workflow? I keep getting crackling when I route BM3 to AUM even with the sample rate and buffer set the same. Used to work fine and now I need it for a video project I'm working on

EDIT: I figured it out. I had to turn on high-quality measurement mode inside of BM3. No more clicks and pops

• @YZJustDatGuy said:
    EDIT: I figured it out. I had to turn on high-quality measurement mode inside of BM3. No more clicks and pops

That's interesting! I've never heard of Measurement Mode fixing up clicks and pops. I guess it's bypassing some internal processing, so it makes sense that it would. Gonna keep that in mind!

• @Michael said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

That's interesting! I've never heard of Measurement Mode fixing up clicks and pops. I guess it's bypassing some internal processing, so it makes sense that it would. Gonna keep that in mind!

I've just noticed that I get less 'annoying artefacts' when recording sounds with measurement mode enabled as AutoGain among other things get disabled.

I'm mostly using TwistedWave to do the recording since it's one of the few apps that support Mic Selection and it really does make a difference compared to an input signal that is 'merged' from all three mics...

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@Gravitas said:
    Okay, I've got BM3 through into Auria Pro again.

BM3 first
    AUM next (making sure the buffer size is the same)
    in AUM open up audio port out
    Run Auria Pro and then open up AUM port into channel.

It works, going to make sure that it works every time.

Can you record a video showing this workflow? I keep getting crackling when I route BM3 to AUM even with the sample rate and buffer set the same. Used to work fine and now I need it for a video project I'm working on

Check the buffer settings whenever you use
    Bluetooth audio devices and using external audio interfaces.

Well done.

• iOS 12.4.1 does not appear to fix the issue. If you're not yet on 12.4, don't update to 12.4.1 either.

Damn.

• @Michael said:
    iOS 12.4.1 does not appear to fix the issue. If you're not yet on 12.4, don't update to 12.4.1 either.

Damn.

:(

• It appears the main focus of 12.4.1 was to kill the jailbreak

• Hello guys,
    I heard 12.4.1 update is available. Did this fix the issue for audiobus output problem???

• edited August 2019

@Fahad No

• @Michael said:
    iOS 12.4.1 does not appear to fix the issue. If you're not yet on 12.4, don't update to 12.4.1 either.

Damn.

Guess we'll have to wait for iOS13/iPadOS then as it's highly likely that iOS12.4.1 will be the last update for iOS12 apart from security fixes for iPhone 6 and other devices that will not be able to run iOS13/iPadOS...

• I don’t think Apple will drop those “old” devices . Hopefully Air1 users will get a free downgrade service , at least ....

• edited August 2019

My (new to me) iPad Pro 10.5" 512 is running iOS 12.01, and some of my apps will not load to my (new to me) iPad Pro either because they are to old or because they need 12.4.1 (not really sure). Since it's not safe to update to iOS 12.4.1 I guess I should simply wait and see what happens with iOS 13.

• @Samu said:
    As with many IAA apps it's good practice to launch the IAA app first before making any connections to it in other apps.
    (So if there is a need to connect an IAA app to for example AUM launch the app first then do the IAA connection in AUM).

I was fishing around in search of an answer here and couldn't find what I was looking for exactly. Since iOS 12.4 I've found that while I can launch Animoog in AUM (IAA only, of course) it freezes Animoog's keyboard/UI and I cannnot send MIDI to the app -- pretty useless.

The solution has been to launch Animoog first, launch AUM second and then instantiate Animoog in AUM. This works fine. Interestingly Animoog requires no MIDI I/O setup in AUM if I follow this method.

You must start from a clean slate, so to speak. If you first try to instantiate Animoog from AUM (and it fails) then close AUM, Animoog still won't work as a standalone.

Anyway, I have a system that works but I don't understand 'why?'. Can anybody please explain this to me or direct me to an explanation? Thanks.

• Just updating my iPhone after reading this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49520355 since I was on a pre-security fix version. I don’t use the phone for music, but I’ll hold off updating the iPad and take my chances.

• Has anyone tried to downgrade to 12.3.1 from 12.4 yet ???

I've been on a rather intense project recently so wondering what is happening?

• @Gravitas said:
    Has anyone tried to downgrade to 12.3.1 from 12.4 yet ???

I've been on a rather intense project recently so wondering what is happening?

Yep @Janosax did. But Apple stopped signing 12.3.1 a while ago. I missed it T_T

• @wiLtroniqué

Oh sugar.

I was about to try to downgrade to 12.3.1
    this week seems I've missed the window as well.

Thanks for the update.

• If you have a device that won’t get the iOS 13 update (Air1, 5s), at least stay in 12.4 ( not 12.4.1) to jailbrake and have full access storage

• @Korakios said:
    If you have a device that won’t get the iOS 13 update (Air1, 5s), at least stay in 12.4 ( not 12.4.1) to jailbrake and have full access storage

Cool, good to know.

I've got iPad Pro 9.7 1st gen so I could chose either to stay at 12.4 or go for iOS 13.

• So what's the world on 12.4.1 for those of us who don't need to jailbreak?

• The issue discussed in this thread is fixed in iOS 13.1 beta

• @Michael said:
    The issue discussed in this thread is fixed in iOS 13.1 beta

Collective sigh of relief

• Awesome 🎶

That’s it then ...iOS 13 it is ... all the bugs gone right? 🤔

• @Michael said:
    The issue discussed in this thread is fixed in iOS 13.1 beta

And iOS 13.1 will be released at the end of the month.
    https://9to5mac.com/2019/09/10/apple-releasing-ios-13-1-on-september-30/

Came here just to check on that IAA problem, hoping 13.1 fixes it. As @supadom says, collective sigh of relief.

• Erm... what about us ne'er-do-wells running older devices? :'(

• What about those of us who have devices which won't go up to iOS 13?

It's very unlikely that there will be any upgrade beyond 12.4.1 and if we (mistakenly) updated to that version, are we doomed? Or can we expect an Audiobus update for these devices?

• :/
    Well, I think it would be pretty shitty of Apple if they orphan these devices with these issues unfixed. (particularly since they seem to have acknowledged the problems they introduced in the last couple of updates)

Fingers crossed for a final less broken version of iOS 12 :#

• @iamspoon said:
    :/
    Well, I think it would be pretty shitty of Apple if they orphan these devices with these issues unfixed. (particularly since they seem to have acknowledged the problems they introduced in the last couple of updates)

Are these issues official? Or shall we report them before they stop supporting iOS 12?

• @bichuelo said:

@iamspoon said:
    :/

Are these issues official? Or shall we report them before they stop supporting iOS 12?

Report as much as possible, i would say

This discussion has been closed.