Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

This looks like fun: Layr

Comments

• Thank God I'm not the sort of fella to go running off and buying any new shiny thing with money I don't have on an object I don't know anything about but probably have plenty of already just because my wife bought some fake lizard boots today.

Oh.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Thank God I'm not the sort of fella to go running off and buying any new shiny thing with money I don't have on an object I don't know anything about but probably have plenty of already just because my wife bought some fake lizard boots today.

Oh.

They'll look nice with the bongos. You'll really fit in down in Austin.

• I'm sure @thesoundtestroom will be more than happy to jump on this HOT ITEM

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Thank God I'm not the sort of fella to go running off and buying any new shiny thing with money I don't have on an object I don't know anything about but probably have plenty of already just because my wife bought some fake lizard boots today.

Oh.

Will be awaiting your report down here in the moist basement. ;)

• @echoopera said:
    Woo hoo it's live!

LayR - Multi Timbral Synthesizer by Living Memory Software
    https://appsto.re/us/A-h5eb.i

AU$31 ... Sounds lush, as others have said, it's probably worth it for the quality.

To echo a previous comment I had a Korg Karma synth and that did evolving soundscapes for days. But it did cost an eye-watering amount of $. Incredible what iOS can do with what amounts to a few pints after work.

It's amazing what I can do after a few pints for that matter ...

I am also in the "wait and see" category, I have WAY too many ways to make noise.

• It sounded like you had bought it :D

@skiphunt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Oh.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    It sounded like you had bought it :D

@skiphunt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Oh.

Me? Or JohnnyG? Does sound like he already bought it. I've already got enough new toys to play with at the moment, so no real urgency. I would've snapped it up if it'd had a launch sale though. Look forward to the user reports etc.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    lol I meant @TheVimFuego :D :o

It's virtual ownership, I'm appreciating it from afar. :)

I resisted Pro R and this will be the same, time will dull the appeal ... until the next jaw-dropping demo.

On the deeply off-topic subject of quitting smoking mentioned in the this thread I am duty bound to recommend Allan Carr's Easy Way book. I do so on all the internet forums and has worked for many. I especially seems to work with those of the more analytical bent, which would be most of us I'd say. Might start a separate thread as I can get a bit evangelical about it. I quit a 20 year habit cold turkey a few years ago (can't remember when, it seems like a completely different version of me) without a backward glance.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    lol I meant @TheVimFuego :D :o

Heh! Yeah, holding steady. I've only just recently started exploring other apps I bought in several flurries in the last few weeks. Only digging into iWavestation recently even though I bought it months ago. I haven't even finished the 30min introductory video @TheVimFuego hipped me to on GeoShred that I just bought. And now I see the groovy little app called sequence is dropping very soon and I've been waiting for that one for ages it seems.

This one does sound very lush though. Will be hard to hold out, but I'm gonna try a be strong. ;)

• does It have both midi in and out right now?

• edited March 2017

I don't have a lot of time to dive in, but I'll say this: it sounds pretty beefy and nice even out of the phone speakers.

EDIT: i found a bug that is not so good. May want to wait a bit guys.

• @skiphunt said:
    Disappointed no launch sale. But looking forward to user feedback. Getting back on the fence and adding to the list to watch... and maybe pick up at some point down the trail after professional reviews and demos.

Yeah. I think it's a miscalculation. What you need is a dozen diehards getting the rest of us onboard, telling us how insane we are for not buying FluxPad or ReSlice or Möbius Lab or whatever right now! And for $10 or $12 I'd jump in. Now, I'll wait and see what Gadget and BM3 and AB3 offer.

• ATTENTION: Do not buy, YET. The dev has uploaded the wrong build to the store, he feels terrible, got back to me immediately when I submitted the bug report, and has already taken steps to remedy the error.

• @db909 said:
    I don't have a lot of time to dive in, but I'll say this: it sounds pretty beefy and nice even out of the phone speakers.

Do tell. Would be willing (happy?) to try it here also....

As for the earlybird sale, each dev must follow their own plan etc., but from a marketing point of view I think it's a poor choice. If only X off and only for Y. Just to get some bodies in the club....

Spent an hour with it and it is very obviously complex, and capable also of complexity (one not always guaranteeing the other), BUT it took me no time to start doing what I presume is its USP, layering sounds. I am NOT a 'give me an init patch or give me death' kind of guy. I like a well-turned preset and then perhaps add condiments from there once my app(etite) has been whetted etc. This allows for this very well. And, yes, two or three sounds together can be made to feel/sound very lovely very quickly.

As simple as it sounds I also like the saving method (with notes). Sensible and easy. Which is good because I'm going to make a shitload of presets just stumbling by. I know the beast can do a thousand more things, but most of those I will probably never get to, but I did take my lush three layers once tweaked and then opened up an Auria project I'd dumped some midi into from Auxy yesterday and simply changed the existing piano patch to 'Layr' and it worked without any pause or extra button stabbing. THIS is a big deal (for me) and makes me happy.

Clever people will do clever things with this on iOS and while they are I will be having fun with it.

• why doesn't the dev come here and chat himself, and does it have midi in and out right now?

• the dev is waiting for his forum registration to be approved I dunno how that works for devs. He's on Facebook putting up an announcement I think. Looks like midi in to me.

• edited March 2017

@kobamoto said:
    why doesn't the dev come here and chat himself, and does it have midi in and out right now?

:)

• @kobamoto said:
    why doesn't the dev come here and chat himself, and does it have midi in and out right now?

Yes on midi in. Verified with tc-data with Layr running as iaa in AUM.

My first wish would be a random generator for patches (not performances).

Also wish selecting a patch did not require an additional press of a load button.

• edited March 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@db909 said:

As for the earlybird sale, each dev must follow their own plan etc., but from a marketing point of view I think it's a poor choice. If only X off and only for Y. Just to get some bodies in the club....

Also, strictly from a marketing point of view... I'm torn. In the case of this app, it's got too many unknowns off the mark. I think it needs a big initial user base diving in that a launch sale may have garnered, as you mention.

But, I also have a great deal of respect for devs who pick a fair price, and said stick with it. No launch sale, no yo-yo pricing, no holiday sales. When I see apps that have been out for awhile and have never wavered on the pricing, I feel better buying without the worry I'm timing the sale thing wrong. When I bought Caustic recently I saw that it's a fair price that has never changed since launch in 2013. Dhalang MG is another app I have a great deal of respect for. It's never been on sale either, and I feel priced appropriately for what you get.

I don't have enough to go on yet on LayR, but from what I've seen, $20 seems like a fair price.

JG, how would you rate your initial impression of LayR's learning curve for creating your own patches/performances that sound comparable to the included presets? Fairly intuitive? Or, a bit on the complex mathy side like Audulus 3 and Lemur?

• There's an announcement on The Living Memory Software Facebook page.

• @db909 said:
    ATTENTION: Do not buy, YET. The dev has uploaded the wrong build to the store, he feels terrible, got back to me immediately when I submitted the bug report, and has already taken steps to remedy the error.

I hope this explains that half baked app icon in the store— it's about a tenth as fetching as the app itself.

• edited March 2017

@skiphunt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@db909 said:

Also, strictly from a marketing point of view... I'm torn. In the case of this app, it's got too many unknowns off the mark. I think it needs a big initial user base diving in, as you mention.

But, I also have a great deal of respect for devs who pick a fair price, and said stick with it. No launch sale, no yo-yo pricing, no holiday sales. When I see apps that have been out for awhile and have never wavered on the pricing, I feel better buying without the worry I'm timing the sale thing wrong. When I bought Caustic recently I saw that it's a fair price that have never changed since launch in 2013. Dhalang MG is another app I have a great deal of respect for. It's never been on sale either, and I feel priced appropriately for what you get.

I don't have enough to go on yet on LayR, but from what I've seen, $20 seems like a fair price.

JG, how would you rate your initial impression of LayR's learning curve for creating your own patches/performances that sound comparable to the included presets? Fairly intuitive? Or, a bit on the complex mathy side like Audulus 3 and Lemur?

Ah. The AUDULUS word. Yes. I saw that upthread and teetered. Audulus doesn't work for me. It may well be (I suspect it is) a rocket ship, but I only have bicycle clips and a bell. This feels nothing like Audulus looks like (as it were). Might well be that someone who digs a little into the belly could write me a thesis on their similitude, but this feels like playing with DRC (although it's completely different but you get me, right?), not with some modular dalek (much as yes they will save the world while I'm sleeping etc). Don't even get me started on Lemur, because I can't.

Perhaps there is math in Layr, but I don't need it (I have no evidence suggesting math in Layr). I'm off and making sounds, combining sounds, saving sounds, using sounds. Enough for me for now.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@skiphunt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@db909 said:

Also, strictly from a marketing point of view... I'm torn. In the case of this app, it's got too many unknowns off the mark. I think it needs a big initial user base diving in, as you mention.

But, I also have a great deal of respect for devs who pick a fair price, and said stick with it. No launch sale, no yo-yo pricing, no holiday sales. When I see apps that have been out for awhile and have never wavered on the pricing, I feel better buying without the worry I'm timing the sale thing wrong. When I bought Caustic recently I saw that it's a fair price that have never changed since launch in 2013. Dhalang MG is another app I have a great deal of respect for. It's never been on sale either, and I feel priced appropriately for what you get.

Ah. The AUDULUS word. Yes. I saw that upthread and teetered. Audulus doesn't work for me. It may well be (I suspect it is) a rocket ship, but I only have bicycle clips and a bell. This feels nothing like Audulus looks like (as it were). Might well be that someone who digs a little into the belly could write me a thesis on their similitude, but this feels like playing with DRC (although it's completely different but you get me, right?), not with some modular dalek (much as yes they will save the world while I'm sleeping etc). Don't even get me started on Lemur, because I can't.

Perhaps there is math in Layr, but I don't need it (I have no evidence suggesting math in Layr). I'm off and making sounds, combining sounds, saving sounds, using sounds. Enough for me for now.

Ok. Cool. That's a good first impression sketch. I actually like Lemur, but I never got past the ability to make simple controllers to control more than one app at the same time on one screen while recording. That's all I really wanted out of it, so the finished, more complex controller projects you can download from their site were nice icing on the cake.

How would you compare LayR to something like Mitosynth and Grain Science?

Thanks for the initial feedback and taking the time! :)

• @skiphunt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@skiphunt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@db909 said:

Ok. Cool. That's a good first impression sketch. I actually like Lemur, but I never got past the ability to make simple controllers to control more than one app at the same time on one screen while recording. That's all I really wanted out of it, so the finished, more complex controller projects you can download from their site were nice icing on the cake.

I dunno. Grain Science was one of my first loves and I think its under-rated. Mito is a piece of genius but I'm not enough of a genius to get out of it what I should/could. I'm guessing that talk of the 'wrong build' and bugs is proof that I haven't even scratched in far enough to make the alarms go off, but it is doing, and easily, 98% of what I bought it for. Already. But, hey, that's just me. Remember, I'm a bicycle clip kind of guy :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@skiphunt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@skiphunt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@db909 said:

I dunno. Grain Science was one of my first loves and I think its under-rated. Mito is a piece of genius but I'm not enough of a genius to get out of it what I should/could. I'm guessing that talk of the 'wrong build' and bugs is proof that I haven't even scratched in far enough to make the alarms go off, but it is doing, and easily, 98% of what I bought it for. Already. But, hey, that's just me. Remember, I'm a bicycle clip kind of guy :)

In a way, I'm glad the dev didn't do a launch sale. If he had I would've bought it without thinking. At least now I can sit tight and make sure it'll be a good fit and hopefully catch some new demos. I like intuitive, easy "bicycle clip" style too. :)

• @skiphunt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@skiphunt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@skiphunt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@db909 said:

In a way, I'm glad the dev didn't do a launch sale. If he had I would've bought it without thinking. At least now I can sit tight and make sure it'll be a good fit and hopefully catch some new demos. I like intuitive, easy "bicycle clip" style too. :)

Wise for you perhaps, especially because I think you might be a long-evolving-patch kind of gamekeeper whereas I'm more of a short and stubby play-it-and-move-on kind of poacher. Metaphor makes no sense, but what the hell.

I do see your notion as regards putting out a price and sticking to it, but with the product launch hat on I think you can find a middle ground...

• Mmhhh, still not sure yet. The sound demos are nice but "nice" is not enough these days.
    20€ is not the end of the world but since i can't demo it i really need to see some deeper serious reviews and/or tutorials.
    I also would need to read the manual pdf before to see what it can do.
    The workflow looks really great but not sure about the synth engine itself (which is a bit limited too for my taste).

• No this thread is not creating any cognitive dissonance at all...not at all

• edited March 2017

@db909 said:
    the dev is waiting for his forum registration to be approved I dunno how that works for devs. He's on Facebook putting up an announcement I think. Looks like midi in to me.

thanks Db & modern-day compiler, is there any word on why there is midi in and no midi out, Eats foot eats foot eats foot eats foot eats foot eats foot

this app is so intriguing and looks like it has so much potential it's hard not to have these questions.