Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NOISES bank share thread… Share your banks, if you like.

Comments

• @GUB said:

@circledsquare said:

@GUB said:
    I'm trying to create banks and import them, but am running into problems. Unless I'm mistaken, the samples have to be zipped, but they should not be in a folder inside the zip file Otherwise they won't import.. Is that right? . Both the files app and koala enclose zip files in a folder before compressing, as far as I can tell. What's the quickest, hopefully native, way to zip files on Ios without packaging them that way, if that indeed is my stumbling block

For the files app, go into the folder containing the 8 wav files. Then do select. Then select the 8 wav files (and optionally a jpg and a txt file). Then compress. You get archive.zip out. It has no internal folder in it. Rename this. Then import it into Noises using the import option via the hamburger icon in Noises (upper right).

OK. Will give it anoyher shot. Thanks!

I continue to attempt to individual files as you described, but I'm still getting an enclosing folder generated. I have most current iPADos or however you write it.

• I’ve added a quick tutorial on how to get samples from koala to noises in the op

• edited June 2023

@GUB said:

@GUB said:

@circledsquare said:

@GUB said:
    I'm trying to create banks and import them, but am running into problems. Unless I'm mistaken, the samples have to be zipped, but they should not be in a folder inside the zip file Otherwise they won't import.. Is that right? . Both the files app and koala enclose zip files in a folder before compressing, as far as I can tell. What's the quickest, hopefully native, way to zip files on Ios without packaging them that way, if that indeed is my stumbling block

For the files app, go into the folder containing the 8 wav files. Then do select. Then select the 8 wav files (and optionally a jpg and a txt file). Then compress. You get archive.zip out. It has no internal folder in it. Rename this. Then import it into Noises using the import option via the hamburger icon in Noises (upper right).

I continue to attempt to individual files as you described, but I'm still getting an enclosing folder generated. I have most current iPADos or however you write it.

Are you doing the compression step from the "select" screen (where you selected the 8 wavs)? You do this by going to "More" (bottom right), and selecting "Compress". Do you get the exact filename "archive.zip" (not some other name) as the result? If so, what is the internal folder filename? Maybe there is a setting somewhere for the Compress action that is forcing the creation of an internal folder.

• Mowtone (and Turnado)
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/rpojq3clta9d74n4kq58k/Mowtone-CS.zip?dl=0&rlkey=wh55onqdkt1w8e3pwgq0n1zpq

This one needs some explanation - I got into the beta of ToneBuster's gamechangier mowing rompler Mowtone, which will be out soon. Incredible VA sounds. It is an instabuy when it comes out. I'd recommend dropping the pitch a bit, which makes the typically subtle FX from Turnado stand out better. If you increase the pitch, use a limiter like ToneBooster's excellent Barricade. Thanks @gregsmith for the pointer to the beta. For fans of light surf rock, like Whitehouse, or anyone who revels in the soothing sounds of vintage mowing.

• @circledsquare said:
    Mowtone (and Turnado)
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/rpojq3clta9d74n4kq58k/Mowtone-CS.zip?dl=0&rlkey=wh55onqdkt1w8e3pwgq0n1zpq

This one needs some explanation - I got into the beta of ToneBuster's gamechangier mowing rompler Mowtone, which will be out soon. Incredible VA sounds. It is an instabuy when it comes out. I'd recommend dropping the pitch a bit, which makes the typically subtle FX from Turnado stand out better. If you increase the pitch, use a limiter like ToneBooster's excellent Barricade. Thanks @gregsmith for the pointer to the beta. For fans of light surf rock, like Whitehouse, or anyone who revels in the soothing sounds of vintage mowing.

Thanks, now I can leave this playing and my wife will think I’m cutting the grass

• @circledsquare said:

@GUB said:

@GUB said:

@circledsquare said:

@GUB said:

Are you doing the compression step from the "select" screen (where you selected the 8 wavs)? You do this by going to "More" (bottom right), and selecting "Compress". Do you get the exact filename "archive.zip" (not some other name) as the result? If so, what is the internal folder filename? Maybe there is a setting somewhere for the Compress action that is forcing the creation of an internal folder.

I was doing that. Although I've been wrong in the past about what I thought I was doing. I just air-dropped files between mac and ipad last night, and that wasn't too bad of a kludge. I will try your method again.

Also I recorded a couple of old IAA instruments that folks might be interested in despite already having a strong dislike of the format itself. At the time, I thought it made sense just to record the dry signal, as people will be adding their own effects if there is anything in the samples they want to use. Then I thought I really should have put a touch of beautifying aural polish on them or they will be skipped after a few secconds.

I guess there's no right answer as to dry vs. wet, but What do others think? I was already averse to buying a sample banks, because I kind of feel like that is one step closer to not making your own music at all, since you aren't collecting the sounds. But I gave in and so far I do like it.

Are the stock samples pretty much all in the 30 second range if \anyone knows? I'm wondering if that's a good duration to shoot for as a rule?

• @GUB I guess it depends what you want to achieve musically. I think most people will play with the trip settings and maybe throw on some filter/bitcrush. What do you want it to sound like when they do that? Also, once each track loops, do you want the 8 or less tracks playing to be in sync or not? I think the emphasis should be on sounding good (so wet), but you could release the same 8 tracks without FX in a separate zip as a bonus, it is hardly any additional work. I haven't actually extracted any loops so far (it's easy to just play one track in the interface).

• @sevenape said:

@circledsquare said:
    Mowtone (and Turnado)

Thanks, now I can leave this playing and my wife will think I’m cutting the grass

Cutting grass in the metaverse. Yes. That post was supposed to be for international joke day, but it was lost in translation. For me, the vintage mowers (tracks 1 and 7) actually sound pretty cool with the pitch turned a ways down.

• @circledsquare said:
    @GUB I guess it depends what you want to achieve musically. I think most people will play with the trip settings and maybe throw on some filter/bitcrush. What do you want it to sound like when they do that? Also, once each track loops, do you want the 8 or less tracks playing to be in sync or not? I think the emphasis should be on sounding good (so wet), but you could release the same 8 tracks without FX in a separate zip as a bonus, it is hardly any additional work. I haven't actually extracted any loops so far (it's easy to just play one track in the interface).

Excellent suggestions. Thanks for those.

• Here’s a noisy bank I made with BeepBoop. I’d never heard of this synth before but someone mentioned it recently and it’s hella fun. So… thanks kind stranger!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xQvqrCzkqx6QFCZ_ZiOEPmuFEtl-23Ud/view?usp=sharing

• GUBGUB
    edited July 2023

@sevenape said:
    Here’s a noisy bank I made with BeepBoop. I’d never heard of this synth before but someone mentioned it recently and it’s hella fun. So… thanks kind stranger!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xQvqrCzkqx6QFCZ_ZiOEPmuFEtl-23Ud/view?usp=sharing

May have been me, since I rave about beep boop constantly. I just started putting a BB bank together for NOISES, but wanted to make changes to it. i didn’t want it to under-demonstrate the wild capabilities,of this synth, whose sonic palette I think has no real analogue (pun?) in the AUV3 domain. (If you know of one, please advise)

So there may be another BB banksoon… looking forward to hearing yours first, thanks sevenape!

• @GUB said:

@sevenape said:
    Here’s a noisy bank I made with BeepBoop. I’d never heard of this synth before but someone mentioned it recently and it’s hella fun. So… thanks kind stranger!

May have been me, since I rave about beep boop constantly. I just started putting a BB bank together for NOISES, but wanted to make changes to it. i didn’t want it to under-demonstrate the wild capabilities,of this synth, whose sonic palette I think has no real analogue (pun?) in the AUV3 domain. (If you know of one, please advise)

So there may be another BB banksoon… looking forward to hearing yours first, thanks sevenape!

In that case, thanks @GUB!!! I look forward to hearing your bank!!!

• @sevenape said:

@GUB said:

@sevenape said:

In that case, thanks @GUB!!! I look forward to hearing your bank!!!

Nice job on the bank, inspiring! I’ll put one or two up in a couple of days. Thanks for getting the ball rolling!

• This is such a beautiful one, thank you! And thank you to everyone who has been so generous is sharing so many amazing banks so far!

• Thanks @sevenape for starting this, I have totally missed this combo (Koala --> Noises) and have an ocean of home brewed samples from Koala. I will share in due time but just wanted to say this. :)

• @Pxlhg said:
    Thanks @sevenape for starting this, I have totally missed this combo (Koala --> Noises) and have an ocean of home brewed samples from Koala. I will share in due time but just wanted to say this. :)

Hey no worries! It's a killer combo!!!

Thanks for these banks! Very good!

• Quick hijack if I may ... in the process of assembling a bank, and the manual discusses options available on the Noises desktop release by right-clicking or shift clicking. Is there a way to "right-click" on the iOS app? Without a mouse, that is. Right-clicking with a mouse acts no differently than standard clicking, anyway.

• @GUB said:
    Quick hijack if I may ... in the process of assembling a bank, and the manual discusses options available on the Noises desktop release by right-clicking or shift clicking. Is there a way to "right-click" on the iOS app? Without a mouse, that is. Right-clicking with a mouse acts no differently than standard clicking, anyway.

Don’t know about everything, but I discovered almost by accident how to parameter lock individual controls: tap the lock icon top right so the display goes purple, then tap the control. Which is kind of obvious once you’ve figured it out, but not otherwise. To me, anyway!

• edited July 2023

Hey guys, quick poll: how much storage do you have used up so far for noises alone? I mean it’s pretty well used space but I’m on a shoestring here with an air2 64gb.
    I have downloaded every single bank you shared just in this thread alone and the folder is already 1.34G.

I guess you rockafellers all have 1Tb or upwards?

Love the app though (and all your lovely contributions), maybe I should just start crowdfunding for a better ipad… who’s in?

• I have a 256gb ipad mini, and my 4 Audiothing apps have 5.76 gb. I'm guessing that is mostly Noises

• Yeah that’s what’s keeping me from playing with this more. Of course that’s entirely my fault, not a criticism of the app, it needs samples so those bytes have to go somewhere

Thinking of buying an ipad9 (still has headphone jack), but in usual apple shenanigans the 64 version is 450€ (👍) and then 256 version for 600€ (🤬)

• @pedro said:
    Yeah that’s what’s keeping me from playing with this more. Of course that’s entirely my fault, not a criticism of the app, it needs samples so those bytes have to go somewhere

Thinking of buying an ipad9 (still has headphone jack), but in usual apple shenanigans the 64 version is 450€ (👍) and then 256 version for 600€ (🤬)

I went USB-C in the end and got a second hand iPad mini 6 for 500E... still have over 100GB free.. and love it

• @sevenape said:

@pedro said:
    Yeah that’s what’s keeping me from playing with this more. Of course that’s entirely my fault, not a criticism of the app, it needs samples so those bytes have to go somewhere

I went USB-C in the end and got a second hand iPad mini 6 for 500E... still have over 100GB free.. and love it

That would be a great deal but the mini is not for me. I rather have a phone/pad combo. I mean if money was no issue I would love also a mini, but I have to upgrade phone as well, so I have to budget

• I made a quick bank using the new free electron soundpack ‘superglue’ which is available here: https://www.elektron.se/it/super-glue

Anyhoo, here’s the bank: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uEjRM4w-TV3lym69RFJhNAJ80Hg-lAOn/view?usp=sharing

Cheers

• Pretty vanilla, but that’s why it’s volume one. Just the basic sweeps and clicks. They still sell nice to me, and they can be combined and run through filters but thanks for the compliment. More work went into the cover, probably then at the music, such as it is.

I have not found any. Are you V3 app that provides such a nice sounding wash of crisp, clicks, and it sounds fantastic going through CuSnP

I’m just starting to go through them down loads on this thread, fear great stuff I will reiterate my appreciation in greater detail later > @sevenape said: