Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SAND - Sequencer and AUv3 Host by Matteo Caldari - Released

Comments

• @iansainsbury said:
    Really like the simplicity of Sand, so intuitive, but I've run into a problem. Long-pressed the clip on track two, set it to 8 bars, and it always reverts to 2 bars when I arm and record. Track one did the same thing a couple of times, then behaved itself. Just me? Am I doing something wrong?

I thought it was me messing up. Yeah, the selection still shows, for instance, 4 bars but it's only recording 2. Which means my first note will land on beat 1 of every measure instead of where I actually played it. I was hoping for a simple recording solution, nothing is simple recording with iOS. I'm feeling the frustrations today, I have time off to make music but I'm chasing bugs instead.

• @abf said:

@iansainsbury said:
    Really like the simplicity of Sand, so intuitive, but I've run into a problem. Long-pressed the clip on track two, set it to 8 bars, and it always reverts to 2 bars when I arm and record. Track one did the same thing a couple of times, then behaved itself. Just me? Am I doing something wrong?

I thought it was me messing up. Yeah, the selection still shows, for instance, 4 bars but it's only recording 2. Which means my first note will land on beat 1 of every measure instead of where I actually played it. I was hoping for a simple recording solution, nothing is simple recording with iOS. I'm feeling the frustrations today, I have time off to make music but I'm chasing bugs instead.

Try using it without setting any bar length. That worked for me.

• Long-pressed the clip on track two, set it to 8 bars, and it always reverts to 2 bars when I arm and record. Track one did the same thing a couple of times, then behaved itself

@iansainsbury @abf I'm trying to reproduce with the steps described, but I can't.

Do you have any other details? For example if the track was created by duplicating another one, or do you have any MIDI plugin on that track, anything really could help. Feel free to write me at [email protected], or here in DM. Also a video would help.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience

Matteo

• @SAND said:

Long-pressed the clip on track two, set it to 8 bars, and it always reverts to 2 bars when I arm and record. Track one did the same thing a couple of times, then behaved itself

@iansainsbury @abf I'm trying to reproduce with the steps described, but I can't.

Do you have any other details? For example if the track was created by duplicating another one, or do you have any MIDI plugin on that track, anything really could help. Feel free to write me at [email protected], or here in DM. Also a video would help.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience

Matteo

Hi Matteo. Wow, that’s super responsive. Didn’t expect a reply from the developer. Really engaging app you’ve made. Please just put my experience down to user error. I didn’t realise I could record a clip ‘free form’ and let it set the bar length automatically when I stopped. That works perfectly for what I was trying to achieve.
    Ah…. I just tried again. I’m an idiot. Your ‘length’ parameter refers to beats, not bars! So if I select 8, I get two bars. Can we pretend this didn’t happen, and never refer to it again?
    Sorry.

• Ah thanks.

• @iansainsbury said:

.. I didn’t realise I could record a clip ‘free form’ and let it set the bar length automatically when I stopped. That works perfectly for what I was trying to achieve.

I guess some people (including me) are used to the automatic bar length (when recording an empty clip) because other programs behave that way. The best solution would be to display the clip length, I think it would avoid some confusion.

... Your ‘length’ parameter refers to beats, not bars!

my bad! I should have included the "unit" in the clip menu, will do that in the next update

Thanks for the clarification!

• @cokomairena said:

Dope. I’m using an iPhone and am going to choose between this, EG Nodes, and Drambo. FYI, I don’t care about most modules in Drambo, I’d solely be using it as a auv3 host and sequencer. With this 2.0 update, how does Sand stack up to the competition (as an iPhone user)?

• @thecalimaki its a good, straightforward host. It’s not as in depth as something like Drambo, and I don’t have Nodes but from what I’ve seen in demos, that one is also more capable for a lot of stuff. I like Sand for the simplicity of the set up, I can map pretty much everything on a Launchpad page. The developer has been good about updates too although I was starting to wonder when the next one was coming and he read my mind lol. It’s still evolving though for sure

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    @thecalimaki its a good, straightforward host. It’s not as in depth as something like Drambo, and I don’t have Nodes but from what I’ve seen in demos, that one is also more capable for a lot of stuff. I like Sand for the simplicity of the set up, I can map pretty much everything on a Launchpad page. The developer has been good about updates too although I was starting to wonder when the next one was coming and he read my mind lol. It’s still evolving though for sure

How's the midi routing compared to something like AUM (which is king, I know). I like to route a sequencer to lots of different places (rozeta scaler into mozaic into chordjam back into mozaic then into midi strummer etc). Inquiring minds want to know! I have nods and while you can do a lot of midi routing, there are some gaps (like of an app had multiple midi outputs like bouncebud or euclidean you can only route one of those outputs to an instrument... So you need to use an app like midi bus to circumvent that, which means having shit tons of midi bus instances). Also, I'm kind of curious why I can't scroll on the right side of my nodes screen to auv3s that I can't see there... Once I hit 15, it doesn't seem like I can see past thay (16 and on) on thay right side list of auv3s.

• Would I be able to automate pitch bend with the new update?

• Can anyone clarify what features come with the initial purchase, and which features come with the in-app purchase?

• @NoncompliantBryant as of now, the midi isn’t too in depth and nothing close to the routing AUM has. If I’m remembering right, you can route midi from one track to another but you don’t have a matrix for routing, I think it’s just purely linear. It has an ableton live feel and is good for looping and stuff but I’d still go with AUM for complex routing.

@thecalimaki im not quite sure, it was just a flat out purchase when I bought it but the 14 day trial looks like it’ll unlock all the features. You might want to wait until the update drops though to trial it so you can use the newer features. No automation yet but it looks like it’s coming

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    @NoncompliantBryant as of now, the midi isn’t too in depth and nothing close to the routing AUM has. If I’m remembering right, you can route midi from one track to another but you don’t have a matrix for routing, I think it’s just purely linear. It has an ableton live feel and is good for looping and stuff but I’d still go with AUM for complex routing.

@thecalimaki im not quite sure, it was just a flat out purchase when I bought it but the 14 day trial looks like it’ll unlock all the features. You might want to wait until the update drops though to trial it so you can use the newer features. No automation yet but it looks like it’s coming

Thank you so much for the info. I think I'll get it because the ableton live feel is something nice.

• @cokomairena said:

It's out

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/sand-sequencer-for-auv3-midi/id1642467684

Didn't try it yet but automation, time signatures and triplets sound amazing! 🤩

• edited April 24

[deleted]

• I just got the app on my iPhone, and I’m liking it so far. However, I’m having some trouble recording notes from some of my plugins:

1.) KB-1 controlling any synth
    2.) the built-in pads in Blip Box

I can hear the sound when playing them, but the midi notes don’t get recorded into the clip. Is there something else that I have to set up?

It’s worth noting that for Blip Box, recording from SAND’s keyboard works, and I can see the pads lighting up when playing back the clip. But recording directly from the pads doesn’t seem to work.

• edited April 24

@thecalimaki said:
    I just got the app on my iPhone, and I’m liking it so far. However, I’m having some trouble recording notes from some of my plugins:

I can hear the sound when playing them, but the midi notes don’t get recorded into the clip. Is there something else that I have to set up?

It’s worth noting that for Blip Box, recording from SAND’s keyboard works, and I can see the pads lighting up when playing back the clip. But recording directly from the pads doesn’t seem to work.

Long press somewhere in the track header (the Mute or solo buttons seem to work well)

Choose "recording options"

Choose "post midi plugins"

To hear the recorded midi back you need to bypass the midi fx plugin

• @Tentype said:

@thecalimaki said:
    I just got the app on my iPhone, and I’m liking it so far. However, I’m having some trouble recording notes from some of my plugins:

Long press somewhere in the track header (the Mute or solo buttons seem to work well)

Choose "recording options"

Choose "post midi plugins"

To hear the recorded midi back you need to bypass the midi fx plugin

Thanks, that worked for KB-1, and I’m assuming it will work for other similar Midi plugins.

As for Blip Box, it’s a drum machine with a 4x4 pad layout, and I feel like it should be able to record midi notes but for some reason it doesn’t. I tested Koala Sampler, which has a similar layout, and I was able to record from the built-in pads directly. Kinda stumped by this one.

• Blipbox doesn't actually output midi. If you're using kb-1 already I'd set up a pad layout for blipbox and record your midi that way.

• Hell yeah. If this gets audio clips soonish I’ll be very happy

• Here’s a roadmap too for the app. You can suggest and vote on features, I like checking up on it to see what’s coming up https://roadmap.getsand.app/

• Is there a reason the long press transpose choice is limited to octave jumps?

• Wooo! I’m just now trying Sand & I’m am into it.
    Might there be a way to trim the beginnings of clips? I can see how you can add/subtract beats from an existing clip, but they seem to be always subtracted from the end of the clip.

With only 1 bar of count in I’m missing my beat 1 of my measures & moving the midi notes forward in time doesn’t move the automation in sync. So trimming the beginning of a clip would be handy.
    Thanks!

• edited April 25

@drconfusion said:
    Wooo! I’m just now trying Sand & I’m am into it.
    Might there be a way to trim the beginnings of clips? I can see how you can add/subtract beats from an existing clip, but they seem to be always subtracted from the end of the clip.

With only 1 bar of count in I’m missing my beat 1 of my measures & moving the midi notes forward in time doesn’t move the automation in sync. So trimming the beginning of a clip would be handy.
    Thanks!

Agreed! Trimming the clip start would be a huge help, and kinda necessary with automation now.

Just made a feature request for loop markers in the clip editor. Vote it up!

https://roadmap.getsand.app/

• edited April 25

Anyone else having this problem on iPhone? There seems to be a dead spot on the left side of all plugins when not in fullscreen mode. Around the area I highlighted, touch controls are unresponsive, but they do start working in fullscreen mode.

• edited April 25

• @Jökulgil said:
    How does changing the Key and Scale affect the keyboard? Can it display only the correct notes for the key or is that only in the Clip Editor view and for Step input?

Just watched the Sand 2.0: Clip Editor video. Looks like Key and Scale does in fact reflect in the keyboard - showing only relevant notes. Looks like a very clean implementation 👍

• Hello and good evening/morning. Can I run Audio clips into this like with Abletons clip view?

• @Nasatyuana said:
    Hello and good evening/morning. Can I run Audio clips into this like with Abletons clip view?

No audio clips yet. Workaround is using Koala, or Loopy pro hosted in Sand.
    They can also be used standalone too if you only want audio clips.