Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SAND - Sequencer and AUv3 Host by Matteo Caldari - Released

Comments

• @israelite said:

@Gavinski said:

@israelite said:
    Just tested and must say that ergonomic needs to be improved in this one.

U mean in terms of responsiveness to touches? Things like selecting groups of notes for example?

The app opened in Files window and then I needed to navigate to a location to save it's session. I was quite surprised. The first screen a user should see could be a main window, a welcome screen. This would be more suitable.
    Just felt like a half baked app on first impression.

It opens in the Files window for the app which contains the apps projects. There are other apps that do the same thing.

The app is pretty nice from my perspective but still early in development. Responsiveness is fine. Once some of the roadmap items are added it will be a useful and fun app IMHO.

• Does this load into the midi channel in AUM?
    Just trying to work out a workflow with this app

• Also have brought apps before with a road map
    Realisation is buy on what is Available, not what might come
    e.g. audio tracks in NS2
    So a little on the fence at the moment
    Loopy pro is an exception, and if bram ever said something was coming, then I would back him all the way

• edited November 2022

No, this is an AUv3 host!

The user guide is linked to in the settings menu.

@Gdub said:
    Does this load into the midi channel in AUM?
    @Gdub said:
    Does this load into the midi channel in AUM?

• edited November 2022

Looks to be available now btw!

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1642467684

I like it. It could use a few features like ability to record audio instead of just midi but overall it is cool and very nicely designed.

• @Gavinski said:
    Maybe @White or @CapnWillie can edit the title to show it has been released 👍

Done 😊

• pretty cool. i like how quick it is at getting ideas going just wish it had bluetooth headphone support.

• @israelite said:

@Gavinski said:

@israelite said:
    Just tested and must say that ergonomic needs to be improved in this one.

U mean in terms of responsiveness to touches? Things like selecting groups of notes for example?

The app opened in Files window and then I needed to navigate to a location to save it's session. I was quite surprised. The first screen a user should see could be a main window, a welcome screen. This would be more suitable.
    Just felt like a half baked app on first impression.

You haven't used garage band?

I really like document based apps, they let me save directly to icloud

• I'm sure more updates will come as it seemed a bit clunky at a first run. Firstly, the first thing you see when you open the app - is your device's folders, so you'll need to open a new/existing project to go to the main screen. Also, i tried recording a simple beat with STC but it made the app crash..
    I don't know if it's my iPad being old (5th gen) but also adding fx maked the sound glitchy (Not after I set the effect, but during the scrolling). I couldn't make a more proper demo, but the dev gave me a code for a Giveaway so if anyone is interested:

• @eylvy said:
    I'm sure more updates will come as it seemed a bit clunky at a first run. Firstly, the first thing you see when you open the app - is your device's folders, so you'll need to open a new/existing project to go to the main screen. Also, i tried recording a simple beat with STC but it made the app crash..
    I don't know if it's my iPad being old (5th gen) but also adding fx maked the sound glitchy (Not after I set the effect, but during the scrolling). I couldn't make a more proper demo, but the dev gave me a code for a Giveaway so if anyone is interested:

I’d take it give the software a go

• @RJB said:

@eylvy said:
    I'm sure more updates will come as it seemed a bit clunky at a first run. Firstly, the first thing you see when you open the app - is your device's folders, so you'll need to open a new/existing project to go to the main screen. Also, i tried recording a simple beat with STC but it made the app crash..

I might be wrong but I’m guessing the code giveaway is related to commenting on the vid itself etc!

I was going to make a vid on this but will hold off for a while. I think it has great potential but definitely want to see a few things on the roadmap added first. It’s very well thought out, in many respects, but could maybe have done with a longer beta and / or more testers.

• @Gavinski said:

@RJB said:

@eylvy said:

I might be wrong but I’m guessing the code giveaway is related to commenting on the vid itself etc!

I was going to make a vid on this but will hold off for a while. I think it has great potential but definitely want to see a few things on the roadmap added first. It’s very well thought out, in many respects, but could maybe have done with a longer beta and / or more testers.

@Gavinski my thoughts aswell was surprised he released it so quick after the beta which I been on for a few weeks.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@Gavinski said:

@RJB said:

@eylvy said:

@Gavinski my thoughts aswell was surprised he released it so quick after the beta which I been on for a few weeks.

Yes - may develop into a very powerful and popular host app but it’s not there yet imo.

• @Gavinski said:

@RJB said:

@eylvy said:

Agreed. I wasn't on the Beta but I think it was released that early for the festival-o'-apps which is Black Friday.

• I also think this is not ready for prime time yet, but it shows a lot of potential!

For now using Drambo as an AUv3 host and sequencer is quicker and way more mature.

I hope I can see this grow as the developer has been very responsive.

• Is it possible to sequence effects parameters?

• edited November 2022

If it’s missing something for you, post a feature request. I wish more devs did this.

https://roadmap.getsand.app/

• @cokomairena said:
    I also think this is not ready for prime time yet, but it shows a lot of potential!

For now using Drambo as an AUv3 host and sequencer is quicker and way more mature.

Yes, lovely dev, I am optimistic this will turn into something special but have been around long enough now to see that devs often don't manage to deliver on such promises so prefer to wait until they are added.

• Sorry... I just had to

• Very promising app.

• I haven’t bought this, but it appears there are no built-in instruments or effects. Is this correct?

• @NeuM said:
    I haven’t bought this, but it appears there are no built-in instruments or effects. Is this correct?

It uses your AU’s.

• @anickt said:

@NeuM said:
    I haven’t bought this, but it appears there are no built-in instruments or effects. Is this correct?

It uses your AU’s.

OK, so no built in anything then. Just pop in whatever apps and effects you already have.

• @SLPGroundSoundMusic said:
    i guess it will be another app that i won’t be able to get because im on ios 14.8 and at least ios 15 is required 😔 and because i already spend over $2,000 in apps in a short period of time i don’t want to risk not being able to use the apps that i already paid for and that haven’t been updated, and some of them are my most use apps, so not being able to use apps that i already paid for, will mean losing or giving my hard earned money for free, and money doesn’t grow on trees where i come from, also that is making me realize, that spending that much on apps specially in such a short period of time just to have my collection ready for when i need or want to use them, was the wrong move, because when it comes to apps its no such thing of collecting apps, because collection means i can always have access to them, and when it comes to apps specially ios apps, having a collection its not a real thing making it the worst investment anybody can do, anyway im just realizing that right at this moment 😣

For some perspectiva: $2k is a lot, but it's still nothing compared to back in the day. The Juno-60 was released in 1982 and was sold at $5500 (today's currency). We can get a good emulation (Tal) at $9.99. And that wasn't even a high-end synth, it was the low-cost alternative to Jupiter-8, which was about three times as expensive. And that's still just one synth, not a studio. Just saying. Cost-wise, this is the golden age.

• Has this got quantise record? I can’t find an option for it.

• In haq video above I saw you can quantise in the editor afterwards
    But I haven’t brought this yet
    But am interested in the app

• edited November 2022

@Gavinski said:

@cokomairena said:
    I also think this is not ready for prime time yet, but it shows a lot of potential!

Yes, lovely dev, I am optimistic this will turn into something special but have been around long enough now to see that devs often don't manage to deliver on such promises so prefer to wait until they are added.

Yes, exactly this. I don’t want to spoil the party but I think to turn this likable new app with some fresh ideas into a DAW is a very ambitious endeavor for a single developer. And I don’t mean desktop grade DAW. I mean a DAW that would be on par with Cubasis, Zenbeats, Garage Band etc. Look how long this three DAWs took to evolve and they are backed by dev teams of big companies. And still @Samu has a long list of features he’s missing 😉 I don’t want to convince the dev to give up but probably better aim for a simpler goal. Look at Loopy Pro - one year on and still no Midi recording. A single developer has to earn for his living. This app can only be a side project.

I think feature wise the app should focus on what it makes fresh. Ease of use with the clip based workflow with AUs and audio. I think it would be wise not to attempt the feature complete DAW. Keeping focus and probably better invest time into project export to established iOS DAWs and desktop DAWs where you can finish tracks on a timeline, mix and master. I don’t want to lecture the dev. According to the interviews in Jakob’s video he is doing it for his pleasure of developing and that is rightfully so. And now off to the AppStore and installing the app 😀

• @krassmann said:
    And still @Samu has a long list of features he’s missing 😉

Well, I try to waste my small efforts and brain-cells on a carefully chosen apps. Drambo and SunVox are a few of them and do cover a LOT of ground-specially when hosting one inside the other...
    ...and well Logic on the Mac for 'DAW Duties' as It'll likely take a year or two before viable alternatives pop up on the iPad if ever :sunglasses:

• I'm in search for a host that allows you to create performance pages. Loopy Pro ticks a lot of boxes, AUM has some nice things and Drambo too but none of them got what I'm looking for in one package. I would like to load some instruments, sequencers, modulators and FX and being able to create my own control screen(s). I you want to change different parameters from different AU's then currently there's a lot of opening and closing windows (that open differently across the screen). Transport controls, triggers, buttons, dials, knobs, XY pads, drawable envelopes and sequences, ribbons etc. assignable to the parameters of the AU's in use. So in fact the host goes to the background and does the hard work while you've got some screens to perform on.

Now I was hoping that this could be something, but it seems its not (yet). Still got my fingers crossed for some kind of performance mode in AUM or a nice update on Loopy Pro (While both are great ''as is'').