Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence 2.4: Workflow, Workflow, Workflow!

12346»

Comments

• edited September 2022

@SevenSystems at the risk of making myself unpopular, as an iPad pro user, I'd really like the option to manipulate the start position, length and pitch of notes directly in the piano roll rather than having to drag the sliders around at the bottom and at the side. Just seems more intuitive to me that way but appreciate other users may have very different views, particularly if they're using iPhones.

• edited September 2022

are we hitting the bottom of the barrel when it comes to workflow-related ideas?

I was thinking about mentioning this: Allow setting the sensitivity for controllers, particularly the one of the gyroscope sensor, and those involving sliding up/down on the keyboard after tapping the note. I find it hard to get good results. (maybe it'd be best to adjust the sensitivity directly from the keyboard screen)
    Has this been mentioned? Is it already on the backlog?

• @charalew said:
    @SevenSystems at the risk of making myself unpopular, as an iPad pro user, I'd really like the option to manipulate the start position, length and pitch of notes directly in the piano roll rather than having to drag the sliders around at the bottom and at the side. Just seems more intuitive to me that way but appreciate other users may have very different views, particularly if they're using iPhones.

Thanks -- I agree that both interaction models are "valid", but yeah, it's unlikely that a completely new optional interaction model will be introduced in Xequence. There's already so many configuration options and alternative behaviours, at some point it'll just become untestable (and un-manual-able!)

• @crushed said:
    are we hitting the bottom of the barrel when it comes to workflow-related ideas?

The bottom has already fallen out! ;)

I was thinking about mentioning this: Allow setting the sensitivity for controllers, particularly the one of the gyroscope sensor, and those involving sliding up/down on the keyboard after tapping the note. I find it hard to get good results. (maybe it'd be best to adjust the sensitivity directly from the keyboard screen)
    Has this been mentioned? Is it already on the backlog?

It hasn't been mentioned I think and it's not on the backlog, but they're of course completely valid requests. Technically not very hard to do, but again -- where to put the options, etc... I'll add it to the backlog though for sure!

• i'm on espectator mode because i'm on iOS12 :lol: , so i'll just keep tabs on the ideas here. But so far, seems the ideas and discussion flowed really fine. So glad to see Xequence back on topics here again :wink:

• @senhorlampada said:
    i'm on espectator mode because i'm on iOS12 :lol: , so i'll just keep tabs on the ideas here. But so far, seems the ideas and discussion flowed really fine. So glad to see Xequence back on topics here again :wink:

Sorry about iOS 12 😢 I can't even remember the last version that supported it, what version of Xequence are you on?

• :lol: No problem @SevenSystems
    I gotta get a new device someday
    I'm still on my iPad Mini 2
    My version is 2.2.15

But i'm compensating because now I also got Xeq AUs :love: :heart:

• A little something coming into my mind.
    When adding an instrument could it be possible that it gets the last MIDI selected destination (on e.g. the previous instrument) and the next channel available.
    I know that this is not always what one would want but would cover, I think, a large amount of use cases. And anyway you have to setup something if you need something else for your new instrument.

• @senhorlampada said:
    :lol: No problem @SevenSystems
    I gotta get a new device someday
    I'm still on my iPad Mini 2
    My version is 2.2.15

But i'm compensating because now I also got Xeq AUs :love: :heart:

Haha, thanks a lot! Hope you can source a more recent device soon... (I still have my original iPad Mini (1), using it as a nightlight 😂)

@Sylvain said:
    A little something coming into my mind.
    When adding an instrument could it be possible that it gets the last MIDI selected destination (on e.g. the previous instrument) and the next channel available.
    I know that this is not always what one would want but would cover, I think, a large amount of use cases. And anyway you have to setup something if you need something else for your new instrument.

That is already the case if you use the "+" button on an existing instrument instead of the "global" "+" button at the end.

• @SevenSystems said:

That is already the case if you use the "+" button on an existing instrument instead of the "global" "+" button at the end.

🙏 Thanks.

• @Sylvain said:

@SevenSystems said:

🙏 Thanks.

One little thing that’d be nice and save one tap is to have the possibility to create the new instrument directly from one of the available instrument templates ;)

• @crushed said:

@Sylvain said:

@SevenSystems said:

🙏 Thanks.

One little thing that’d be nice and save one tap is to have the possibility to create the new instrument directly from one of the available instrument templates ;)

Very true :) Just thinking how this could best be done UI-wise...

a) another "+ Instrument" button next to the current one, but labelled "+ Load Instrument" or so?
    b) the existing "+ Instrument" button just immediately opens the file selector, with an additional button "Default instrument" or so next to the "Cancel" button?
    c) ...

• I’d go for option a)
    Users who don’t care about saved instruments could get irritated to get systematically prompted to load one.

• @crushed said:
    I’d go for option a)
    Users who don’t care about saved instruments could get irritated to get systematically prompted to load one.

Mhm!

• @SevenSystems said:

@crushed said:
    I’d go for option a)

Mhm!

What was that? :)

• @crushed said:

@SevenSystems said:

@crushed said:
    I’d go for option a)

Mhm!

A nod in agreement!

• @SevenSystems said:

@crushed said:

@SevenSystems said:

@crushed said:
    I’d go for option a)

Mhm!

A nod in agreement!

Ha great!

Another one: a setting for the default width on the keyboard, or a different default value when keyboard is set without black keys. That would be handy.
    For me the default 96 is too big, I usually set it without black keys, and always need to halve it to get more than two octaves on the screen.

• @SevenSystems

It would be really nice, if Xequence 2 were able to import midi files containing tracks with multiple channels.

As it is now, it will be merged down to one channel (track)

When this happens, I will have to import the midi file into Cubasis 3, create a midi mixdown and then share the midi file back to Xequence 2 to get seperate tracks.

• @White said:
    @SevenSystems

It would be really nice, if Xequence 2 were able to import midi files containing tracks with multiple channels.

As it is now, it will be merged down to one channel (track)

When this happens, I will have to import the midi file into Cubasis 3, create a midi mixdown and then share the midi file back to Xequence 2 to get seperate tracks.

Yes, it's almost at the top of the agenda to have the ability to separate by channels on import. I hope to get it done soon!

• being able to share Xequence and Loopy (or another capable app) both half screen

• @janpieter said:
    being able to share Xequence and Loopy (or another capable app) both half screen

Paging Dr. @ipadbeatmaking

• @janpieter said:
    being able to share Xequence and Loopy (or another capable app) both half screen

Split-Screen, Stage Manager and Portrait support are high on the priority list!

• @SevenSystems said:

@janpieter said:

Split-Screen, Stage Manager and Portrait support are high on the priority list!

music to my ears (won’t be enjoying the stage manager on my 4th gen Air though, but split screen would be great, having loopy on slide over with Xequence is already helpful..)

• @SevenSystems …A quick request for Xequence 2, if I may …

Is there any way you could make it so when the ruler is activated in the timeline, it doesn’t cover the first track? Maybe instead of covering the track, the tracks could shift down when the ruler is on, allowing track 1 to be completely seen?

Not trying to nitpick and it’s by no means a deal breaker .. As far as MIDI sequencers go, this one’s the cat’s meow and a major part of my workflow. Thanks!

• @mikejohn said:
    @SevenSystems …A quick request for Xequence 2, if I may …

Is there any way you could make it so when the ruler is activated in the timeline, it doesn’t cover the first track? Maybe instead of covering the track, the tracks could shift down when the ruler is on, allowing track 1 to be completely seen?

Not trying to nitpick and it’s by no means a deal breaker .. As far as MIDI sequencers go, this one’s the cat’s meow and a major part of my workflow. Thanks!

"The Cat's Meow" 😄 got it...

Yes, you can set the ruler to not cover the arrangement by going to the "..." screen, "Interface", scroll down to "Editing", and then disable "Ruler Auto-Dismiss".

Let me know if that works for ya.

• @SevenSystems said:

@mikejohn said:

Yes, you can set the ruler to not cover the arrangement by going to the "..." screen, "Interface", scroll down to "Editing", and then disable "Ruler Auto-Dismiss".

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat!?!? That’s been there all this time!? Haha .. works just fine now . Thanks a lot!!

• edited March 18

@mikejohn said:

@SevenSystems said:

@mikejohn said:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat!?!? That’s been there all this time!? Haha .. works just fine now . Thanks a lot!!

:) When that option is turned on, the ruler is supposed to be used only temporarily to position the playhead / loop points and then automatically dismissed again, that's why it feels free to briefly cover part of the arrangement...

• @SevenSystems said:

@mikejohn said:

@SevenSystems said:

@mikejohn said:

:) When that option is turned on, the ruler is supposed to be used only temporarily to position the playhead / loop points and then automatically dismissed again, that's why it feels free to briefly cover part of the arrangement...

Ah .. makes sense .. thanks again .