Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence 2.4: Workflow, Workflow, Workflow!

Comments

• @Foleslaw said:
    Is the 2.4 beta out? Mine is showing 2.3.21 still. I just downloaded that X2LoopyDawless1.1 setup for testing and I get a message that it’s been created in a newer version of X2 so I’m just curious…

I created the file using either 2.3.5 or maybe 2.3.6 (the most recent AppStore version), no beta at the moment as far as I am aware.

• edited August 2022

@Foleslaw said:
    Is the 2.4 beta out? Mine is showing 2.3.21 still. I just downloaded that X2LoopyDawless1.1 setup for testing and I get a message that it’s been created in a newer version of X2 so I’m just curious…

Hey. You completely missed the official 2.3 release :) you're still on the 2.3 beta, which Xequence considers older than the official release...
    To go from beta to release, just go to the App Store, search for Xequence, and tap on "Update" or the cloud icon and it'll replace the beta. (no data will be lost)

• @SevenSystems said:

@Foleslaw said:

Hey. You completely missed the official 2.3 release :) you're still on the 2.3 beta, which Xequence considers older than the official release...
    To go from beta to release, just go to the App Store, search for Xequence, and tap on "Update" or the cloud icon and it'll replace the beta. (no data will be lost)

Yeah - I just did that. Didn’t know that testflight betas are not updated on the same basis that the official release. I thought that an app version (no matter what version it is) first goes into testflight and then goes official.

• @Foleslaw said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Foleslaw said:

Yeah - I just did that. Didn’t know that testflight betas are not updated on the same basis that the official release. I thought that an app version (no matter what version it is) first goes into testflight and then goes official.

Yeah, betas will not automatically update to the official release. But seems like it's sorted now :)

• @SevenSystems said:

@Foleslaw said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Foleslaw said:

Yeah, betas will not automatically update to the official release. But seems like it's sorted now :)

Cool. Thanks for letting me know :) I’m not that observant as I thought I might be. Anyways - I’m happy that at least I didn’t post here issues I’m having with the app while still being on 2.0 :) :) :)

• @Foleslaw said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Foleslaw said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Foleslaw said:

Cool. Thanks for letting me know :) I’m not that observant as I thought I might be. Anyways - I’m happy that at least I didn’t post here issues I’m having with the app while still being on 2.0 :) :) :)

…or 0.99 :smiley:

• @Foleslaw said:

@Foleslaw said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Foleslaw said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Foleslaw said:

…or 0.99 :smiley:

;) Yeah, Apple's whole TestFlight system is not extremely well thought out, like pretty much everything that has to do with the App Store. I'm not sure who's in charge of that whole department... 😬

• First part of the work to streamline the handling of key and scale in a project -- the slightly re-layouted key and scale selector.

Also, I'm considering to add a project-wide default key and scale. The "Key" and "Scale" settings in each instrument would then have an additional option "Use Project Default" (separately for key and scale). This would eliminate a long-time frustration of mine -- the constant need to change the key and scale for imported or newly created instruments (or instruments in a project template, which could in the future then just left at "Project Default" and would thus automatically acquire the correct key and scale).

Comments / suggestions?

• Excellent idea!

• @SevenSystems said:

First part of the work to streamline the handling of key and scale in a project -- the slightly re-layouted key and scale selector.

Also, I'm considering to add a project-wide default key and scale. The "Key" and "Scale" settings in each instrument would then have an additional option "Use Project Default" (separately for key and scale). This would eliminate a long-time frustration of mine -- the constant need to change the key and scale for imported or newly created instruments (or instruments in a project template, which could in the future then just left at "Project Default" and would thus automatically acquire the correct key and scale).

Comments / suggestions?

I love this idea!

@wim said:

• Arranger: Instrument settings for each track's target instrument can now be accessed directly from the track menu.

That one there would have been my first suggestion. I've always felt that switching to a different screen to maintain instruments was a little bit cumbersome. I'll be looking forward to seeing how it's implemented.

I find myself wishing the keyboard had an option to act as a popup window or split window so that I can see the piano roll or arranger while playing. That one might not be minor though.

👆 I also like @wim idea on the first page of this thread of having the piano visible while in the arrange window.

A few other things that would be nice is:

• scale lock external equipment (🎹 midi controller) to match the chosen scale on a track like Atom 2 piano roll & Scaler 2 does.

• A note repeat/ratchet/arp module for the instruments & drum pads would be amazing

• Apple Pencil ✏️ side tap to toggle & un-toggle draw ✍️ mode, similar to atom 2 and helium would be a nice workflow addition

• The ability to control the playhead via external equipment (without audiobus)

I’d gladly pay for these in an additional Pro extension IAP (separate from the mpe one)

Thanks

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@SevenSystems said:

First part of the work to streamline the handling of key and scale in a project -- the slightly re-layouted key and scale selector.

Comments / suggestions?

I love this idea!

Good good... firmly on the mid-term roadmap :)

@wim said:

• Arranger: Instrument settings for each track's target instrument can now be accessed directly from the track menu.

That one there would have been my first suggestion. I've always felt that switching to a different screen to maintain instruments was a little bit cumbersome. I'll be looking forward to seeing how it's implemented.

I find myself wishing the keyboard had an option to act as a popup window or split window so that I can see the piano roll or arranger while playing. That one might not be minor though.

👆 I also like @wim idea on the first page of this thread of having the piano visible while in the arrange window.

Slightly harder to do than the rest, but... kept in the back of my head.

A few other things that would be nice is:

• scale lock external equipment (🎹 midi controller) to match the chosen scale on a track like Atom 2 piano roll & Scaler 2 does.

How do these achieve this... for example, say your current scale only contains C, E and G -- what happens when you hit C#, D, or D# on the keyboard? i.e. how do they choose which note to "re-route" the played note to?

• A note repeat/ratchet/arp module for the instruments & drum pads would be amazing

Has been on the roadmap for a long time, and it's still there... let's keep our hopes up! 😊

• Apple Pencil ✏️ side tap to toggle & un-toggle draw ✍️ mode, similar to atom 2 and helium would be a nice workflow addition

That sounds quite easy. Xequence's sales don't justify the purchase of an Apple Pencil ;) but I'll add this one for the beta team to test next if I get around to adding it.

• The ability to control the playhead via external equipment (without audiobus)

I’d gladly pay for these in an additional Pro extension IAP (separate from the mpe one)

Thanks, yes, MIDI control of basic transport / editing functions is very firmly on the mid-term roadmap.

Thanks

Not at all!

• @SevenSystems there’s a couple ways atom and scaler approach it 👇

Here’s the options in scaler 2, I selected the scale white keys option and it’s made the selected scale playable only, and only on those keys.

Atom Allows you to remap the keys to white keys, 16 pad layouts, silence the out of scale keys, shift up, down, etc.

All these are incredibly useful options for using with hardware. If there’s anything else I can do to help please let me know.

————

Also another thing that would be cool to see for Xequence (at some point) is the support for scripting like atom 2 has for hardware devices so that we can get tight integration with launchpads etc.

• And @SevenSystems I’m gonna reach for the stars ✨ a bit here with another request... I’d really like to see retrospective recording (or ‘capture midi’ as it’s known on Ableton)

And is ‘show in background’ possible for multiple clips/tracks that are not in the same ‘instrument?’

For instance I might want to draw in 808s to follow the time/bar placement of my kicks, while following the root notes of a piano or chord, so being able to have both visible at the same time would be great

• @ipadbeatmaking said:
    And @SevenSystems I’m gonna reach for the stars ✨ a bit here with another request... I’d really like to see retrospective recording (or ‘capture midi’ as it’s known on Ableton)

Definitely would be nice to have. One of the easier things actually! I'll double-check the roadmap...

And is ‘show in background’ possible for multiple clips/tracks that are not in the same ‘instrument?’

It is possible for a single track that doesn't belong to the same instrument, but not multiple tracks. See here:

• @ipadbeatmaking and thanks for the screenshots regarding re-mapping keys!

• @SevenSystems said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@wim said:

IMHO it does not need to be a fully editable piano roll. I think it’s already good if you get a read-only piano roll as visual feedback, showing which notes are being recorded while you play on the keyboard.
    Imagine a text editor with a mode only to type, and a mode to see… even vi didn’t do it! :D

• edited August 2022

@crushed said:

@SevenSystems said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@wim said:

IMHO it does not need to be a fully editable piano roll. I think it’s already good if you get a read-only piano roll as visual feedback, showing which notes are being recorded while you play on the keyboard.
    Imagine a text editor with a mode only to type, and a mode to see… even vi didn’t do it! :D

Haha, yeah, that would definitely be easier... I wonder though, should I add keyboard shortcut support and should :q! also quit Xequence? 🤔 (or should that be a separate App -- Viquence? 🤦)

• @SevenSystems qwerty keyboard shortcuts and mouse/trackpad support (for magic keyboard case etc owners) would be great!

Also, is there any way to load saved instruments (IAP) faster than going thru the connections and hitting the ⬆️ button? It’d be cool to have it along the top on the main screen. Being able to drag n drop em in would be cool.

A save button along the top would also be useful.

And maybe I’m missing it, but is there any way to use project file templates?

Thanks.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:
    @SevenSystems qwerty keyboard shortcuts and mouse/trackpad support (for magic keyboard case etc owners) would be great!

Yes, keyboard and MIDI remote support for basic functions is in the plans. MIDI will probably come first.

Mouse support should already work? Or are you having issues?

Also, is there any way to load saved instruments (IAP) faster than going thru the connections and hitting the ⬆️ button? It’d be cool to have it along the top on the main screen. Being able to drag n drop em in would be cool.

Currently not, but in Xequence 2.4, it will be possible to access each instrument's settings popup directly from the track settings in the arrangement, so it'll definitely become a bit easier!

A save button along the top would also be useful.

Do you save very often? Remember that Xequence auto-saves (separately from your manually saved project) each time you leave the app, and also in regular intervals in case of a (almost impossible 👼) crash.

And maybe I’m missing it, but is there any way to use project file templates?

Yes, you should already have a 'Templates' folder that Xequence creates automatically on install... but maybe I'm misunderstanding?

• @SevenSystems I’m not seeing a ‘templates’ folder on my side. Ideally I’d like to be able to auto launch a template file on startup and not be savable. Maybe I need to delete and reinstall? Here’s my folders 👇

As far as mouse/trackpad support I’m seeing it works for clicking/tapping but not scrolling.

And I’ve got an issue outside the scope of this thread but I figure I’ll speak on it: Audiobus seems to be glitching Xequence regularly. I’m using it with AUM and love the midi assignable buttons and app switching but it’s ’breaking/freezing’ Xequence pretty regularly. Any advice?

• @ipadbeatmaking said:
    @SevenSystems I’m not seeing a ‘templates’ folder on my side. Ideally I’d like to be able to auto launch a template file on startup and not be savable. Maybe I need to delete and reinstall? Here’s my folders 👇

Whoops, yes you're right, Xequence doesn't make a Templates folder by default -- I had thought so because I always had it, but turns out I've created it manually years ago. Maybe this is something that should be added.

Regarding launching a template automatically on startup: What I would probably prefer is to make the "New project" button open a definable template project instead of the built-in empty default project. What do you think?

And making template projects read-only is a good idea. I'll add this to the list to investigate.

As far as mouse/trackpad support I’m seeing it works for clicking/tapping but not scrolling.

Adding that to the list to investigate! 👍 Xequence really has never been designed for mouse use (way back in 2017 such a thing was unthinkable 😂) but I agree it should be fully supported!

And I’ve got an issue outside the scope of this thread but I figure I’ll speak on it: Audiobus seems to be glitching Xequence regularly. I’m using it with AUM and love the midi assignable buttons and app switching but it’s ’breaking/freezing’ Xequence pretty regularly. Any advice?

When it freezes / breaks, can you describe in more detail what this looks like? Does it just become unresponsive for a few seconds and then gets going again, or does it appear to "reload"? Or does it just exit to the homescreen?

• @SevenSystems said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    @SevenSystems I’m not seeing a ‘templates’ folder on my side. Ideally I’d like to be able to auto launch a template file on startup and not be savable. Maybe I need to delete and reinstall? Here’s my folders 👇

Whoops, yes you're right, Xequence doesn't make a Templates folder by default -- I had thought so because I always had it, but turns out I've created it manually years ago. Maybe this is something that should be added.

Regarding launching a template automatically on startup: What I would probably prefer is to make the "New project" button open a definable template project instead of the built-in empty default project. What do you think?

That’s a great idea too! I think an option for both would be ideal. Some like one option or the other.

And making template projects read-only is a good idea. I'll add this to the list to investigate.

Thanks 🙏

Adding that to the list to investigate! 👍 Xequence really has never been designed for mouse use (way back in 2017 such a thing was unthinkable 😂) but I agree it should be fully supported!

Apple with its plot twists must be annoying to develop thru lol.

Thanks 🙏

When it freezes / breaks, can you describe in more detail what this looks like? Does it just become unresponsive for a few seconds and then gets going again, or does it appear to "reload"? Or does it just exit to the homescreen?

Becomes unresponsive for a few seconds and gets going again. Buttons (play, record etc) stop responding. It never fully crashes, but it’s pretty bad. I tried the panic button and that doesn’t fix anything either. Im guessing because midi panic has nothing to do with audiobus. Once the problem starts everything lags really bad from 1-2 seconds to 10 seconds and beyond. It’s rough. At that point I quit audiobus and everything returns to normal, but ideally I’d like to have audiobus in the mix because it makes app switching, midi learning etc so much better.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:
    Apple with its plot twists must be annoying to develop thru lol.

Haha, plot twists describes it really well. I guess on the one hand, it's okay for a platform to move forward, but I prefer devices / systems to be good at one thing, and not trying to be everything at once. Look at Windows 8 to see how that went! 🤔 and yes, all the plot twists add more and more overhead that distracts from the actual purpose of the app, with ever diminishing returns... [/rant]

Becomes unresponsive for a few seconds and gets going again. Buttons (play, record etc) stop responding. It never fully crashes, but it’s pretty bad. I tried the panic button and that doesn’t fix anything either. Im guessing because midi panic has nothing to do with audiobus. Once the problem starts everything lags really bad from 1-2 seconds to 10 seconds and beyond. It’s rough. At that point I quit audiobus and everything returns to normal, but ideally I’d like to have audiobus in the mix because it makes app switching, midi learning etc so much better.

Thanks. Yes, I've seen this behaviour, but never got around to investigate it fully. But I have a suspicion it's something that happens at the operating system level when resources (memory, CPU) are scarce, it might be something I have no control over. But it's on the list to check at some point!

• @SevenSystems said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

Thanks. Yes, I've seen this behaviour, but never got around to investigate it fully. But I have a suspicion it's something that happens at the operating system level when resources (memory, CPU) are scarce, it might be something I have no control over. But it's on the list to check at some point!

What’s crazy is this is on an M1 iPad Pro with 16gb of ram. Nothing else open except those 3 apps: Xequence, Audiobus, AUM (and auv3’s in it) so I never would’ve guessed lack of resources were to blame.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@SevenSystems said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

What’s crazy is this is on an M1 iPad Pro with 16gb of ram. Nothing else open except those 3 apps: Xequence, Audiobus, AUM (and auv3’s in it) so I never would’ve guessed lack of resources were to blame.

I'll keep an eye on this, I wasn't sure if it's affecting more users. I have the oldest iPad that can still run Xequence, so I thought it was mostly a "me" problem (just like in relationships...) 😜

• @SevenSystems said:

I like the way Loopy Pro handles it. If no template is defined then the default template is used. If one template is defined then that one is used. If more than one template is defined then a dialog to choose a template, including the default template. If only one template is defined and you want to launch the default template instead then long-press on the new project button brings up the choice.

The default-load handling when there's only one template defined is sort of unintuitive though IMO.

• @wim said:

@SevenSystems said:

I like the way Loopy Pro handles it. If no template is defined then the default template is used. If one template is defined then that one is used. If more than one template is defined then a dialog to choose a template, including the default template. If only one template is defined and you want to launch the default template instead then long-press on the new project button brings up the choice.

I see, yeah that sounds pretty good.

However, this "template selector"... I'm not so sure. It would introduce a whole new UI to save at most ONE double-tap.

• Current situation: Launch Xequence, double-tap on your "Templates" folder, double-tap on desired Template.
    • New situation: Launch Xequence, dialog comes up, tap on desired Template.

I'm not sure that saving one double-tap for an operation that occurs only a few times a day (at most) is worth adding an entire UI.

Do I sound lazy?

• wimwim
    edited August 2022

@SevenSystems said:
    Do I sound lazy?

Nope.

But you were talking about making the new project button open a definable template instead of the default empty one. If you do that then there needs to be an obvious way to load the default or other templates. I was giving an example of one way that works well (and is used often in my case).

• @wim said:

@SevenSystems said:
    Do I sound lazy?

Nope.

But you were talking about making the new project button open a definable template instead of the default empty one. If you do that then there needs to be an obvious way to load the default or other templates. I was giving an example of one way that works well (and is used often in my case).

OK! 👍

• @SevenSystems said:

So, here's the question: Do you have any small thing (or things) would you like to see changed / added / made configurable? Any tiny frustrations / gripes that add up during your work, where a tiny change in the user interface would have a significant impact?

An option to split a note/chord into any equal parts.