Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence 2.4: Workflow, Workflow, Workflow!

Comments

• One more thing!
    Since we can’t expect an AU X2 version anytime soon (like this month or the next ;) ) would it be possible for you to somehow add that AUM button and transport that many IAA apps have when loaded in AUM? I’ve been using Audiobus to achieve this (just for the floating menu on the side) but it would be much neater and easier to ‚hop into’ with a native solution.

• @Foleslaw
    I agree
    Just started using x2 and noticed this pretty quick
    ElasticDrums etc are IAA and have this, no idea how hard it is to do but really would be helpful
    Quite surprised it hasn’t been requested before

• @Foleslaw said:
    somehow add that AUM button and transport that many IAA apps have when loaded in AUM?

@Gdub said:

😂 this is by far the most requested feature -- it's actually in the FAQ!

http://seven.systems/xequence2/en/manual/#sub-section-23-19

It would be relatively easy to add, but I stubbornly insist that Xequence is not an IAA app and thus can't have the IAA control panel (it's explained in the FAQ!)

But who knows, maybe with users insisting even more or bribing me with at least $50,000, I might actually change my mind ;)

• @SevenSystems said:

@Foleslaw said:
    somehow add that AUM button and transport that many IAA apps have when loaded in AUM?

@Gdub said:

It would be relatively easy to add, but I stubbornly insist that Xequence is not an IAA app and thus can't have the IAA control panel (it's explained in the FAQ!)

But who knows, maybe with users insisting even more or bribing me with at least $50,000, I might actually change my mind ;)

Cool! Then that AUv3 tier would be…?
    (I hope we’re speaking of Zimbabwean dollars here ;) ? )

• @trancespotter said:
    Instead of a clip launcher would you be able to add the solo/mute buttons for all MIDI lanes somewhere so that you can access them easily without having to vertically scroll while in the arrangement view? It’d be similar to the Nanostudio 2 screen that shows all of the instruments with their volume, mute, and solo buttons arranged in a grid.

Technically possible, not extremely difficult either. I'll add this to the ideas list and see what can be done!

Concerning bug fixes, I’ve noticed that when I use X2 with Logic Pro X via IDAM I tend to get the “hanging sustained MIDI note bug” A LOT. Unfortunately I won’t be near my computer for a few months to provide more details on this but whenever I push play on X2 and it plays an instrument on LPX and then I modify a note/pause in the middle of a note/drag a note/any action to a note then the instrument gets stuck playing the drone note and it won’t stop until I completely quit LPX and X2. When I go back to the same project the LPX instruments won’t play the correct MIDI notes at all (meaning if I have a note on each downbeat like for a kick then it’ll only play 2 or 3 of the notes instead of 4) even if I change the LPX instrument and/or MIDI channel. The only way to fix it is to create an entirely new LPX project and X2 project and create an entirely new MIDI clip and manually enter the MIDI notes. Even when I export the troubled X2 MIDI clip and use it in a new X2 project it still doesn’t play the correct MIDI notes.

This sounds like a bug in IDAM. When you are in that situation, have you tried tapping the Panic button (you have to enable it in Xequence -- go to Xequence settings, then under "MIDI / Recording", "MIDI Output", enable "Panic button". It's a little "Electrical flash" icon in the top toolbar.)

When you have your hanging note, tapping that button MUST stop it. If not, it's a problem outside Xequence (as unhelpful as that assessment may sound 😢).

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    When using MPE mode to edit multiple channels then I turn off all of the auto-assign options in the MPE menu so that I have control over which is assigned. In the absence of a specific option, and maybe only if all of the auto-select options are disabled, then using the channel that was last selected in process->assign channels could work as a way of deciding which channel to use for new notes.

That sounds like a good idea -- probably as an additional option for the Draw tool though. The Draw tool needs a few options of its own anyway (repeat vs. length, etc.), so I'll probably add an options dropdown for it and this will go in there. Thanks!

• @Gdub @Foleslaw btw, apart from using Audiobus to quickly switch between Xequence and AUM, another very effective way is to just four-finger-swipe left/right...

• @Foleslaw said:

😂

Are you suggesting I'm too expensive? 🤨

• @SevenSystems said:

@Foleslaw said:

😂

Are you suggesting I'm too expensive? 🤨

By no means! :) I’m rather suggesting I’d be willing to get it even at that about that price :D

• Back to host button would be very handy.. sometimes I have drumsticks in my hands + swiping with 4 fingers just can’t be done in this case.. 1 button, 1 finger would be so much easier..

@SevenSystems said:
    @Gdub @Foleslaw btw, apart from using Audiobus to quickly switch between Xequence and AUM, another very effective way is to just four-finger-swipe left/right...

• @SevenSystems said:
    @Gdub @Foleslaw btw, apart from using Audiobus to quickly switch between Xequence and AUM, another very effective way is to just four-finger-swipe left/right...

Neither that nor double pressing the phisical Home button (on my older the devices that have it) is convenient for me. A dedicated button can act like a floating shortcut gizmo that some drawing apps have (acting as shift, alt, ctrl on desktop software) allowing for two hand input on screen, in this case swiftly changing apps from X2 to AUM and back.
    BTW I wonder why such a thing as a function button floating gizmo is not a ‚thing’ in iOS music apps (I know it’s on Loopy Pro’s roadmap at some point) and devs insist on making apps as for single hand use only with all the gestures, swipes and long presses. Those things are nice and make touch devices stand out but imo a dedicated function button gizmo for use with your other hand would allow for more actions to be specified to user input plus adding an extra layer of precision (eg in Cubasis you could extend your clips like usual or by holding down the gizmo with let’s say your thumb of the hand tou hold your ipad with you could extend the clip but duplicating the contents of it. And so on, and so forth in many many other apps…) I’m not insisting that it’s the best and ultimate solution but I’m just asking/wondering especially since I know that these kind of gizmos/function buttons are really helpful in the graphic creation realm of apps.

• As a side project, how about a new sibling for Xequence AU Keys and Xequence AU Pads?

Xequence AU PolyHymnia - intelligent MIDI generator

• @SevenSystems said:

Concerning bug fixes, I’ve noticed that when I use X2 with Logic Pro X via IDAM I tend to get the “hanging sustained MIDI note bug” A LOT. Unfortunately I won’t be near my computer for a few months to provide more details on this but whenever I push play on X2 and it plays an instrument on LPX and then I modify a note/pause in the middle of a note/drag a note/any action to a note then the instrument gets stuck playing the drone note and it won’t stop until I completely quit LPX and X2. When I go back to the same project the LPX instruments won’t play the correct MIDI notes at all (meaning if I have a note on each downbeat like for a kick then it’ll only play 2 or 3 of the notes instead of 4) even if I change the LPX instrument and/or MIDI channel. The only way to fix it is to create an entirely new LPX project and X2 project and create an entirely new MIDI clip and manually enter the MIDI notes. Even when I export the troubled X2 MIDI clip and use it in a new X2 project it still doesn’t play the correct MIDI notes.

This sounds like a bug in IDAM. When you are in that situation, have you tried tapping the Panic button (you have to enable it in Xequence -- go to Xequence settings, then under "MIDI / Recording", "MIDI Output", enable "Panic button". It's a little "Electrical flash" icon in the top toolbar.)

When you have your hanging note, tapping that button MUST stop it. If not, it's a problem outside Xequence (as unhelpful as that assessment may sound 😢).

Oddly I don’t think I tried this because I didn’t think X2 had a panic button. I’ll try it when I’m with my Mac again next month. Thanks.

• @mojozart said:
    As a side project, how about a new sibling for Xequence AU Keys and Xequence AU Pads?

I'd second that

• edited August 2022

@Foleslaw said:
    [...] and devs insist on making apps as for single hand use only with all the gestures, swipes and long presses.

Hey, I totally agree! That's why Xequence seems to be the only music app that actually doesn't make use of any kind of long-presses, gestures or swipes! Every single feature(*) is available as a dedicated, simple-tap button or menu option. I totally sign up to your attitude -- discoverability is everything

(*) Apart from re-arranging drum pads (long-press)

• @mojozart said:
    As a side project, how about a new sibling for Xequence AU Keys and Xequence AU Pads?

Yeah, is already on the roadmap for ages! Thanks for the suggestion though!

• edited August 2022

Just added -- huge time saver for people working with lots of linked clips. Saves you a round-trip into the arranger, reselecting the clip, "Unlink", and then back into the pianoroll...

• @SevenSystems said:

@Foleslaw said:
    [...] and devs insist on making apps as for single hand use only with all the gestures, swipes and long presses.

Hey, I totally agree! That's why Xequence seems to be the only music app that actually doesn't make use of any kind of long-presses, gestures or swipes! Every single feature(*) is available as a dedicated, simple-tap button or menu option. I totally sign up to your attitude -- discoverability is everything

Yep. I know that - noticed this instantly when I bought it a couple of years ago. Those note movement handles (movement widget buttons) are spot on!
    Cheers!

• @Foleslaw said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Foleslaw said:

Yep. I know that - noticed this instantly when I bought it a couple of years ago. Those note movement handles (movement widget buttons) are spot on!
    Cheers!

Thanks! The movement handles had been used in other apps before, so they're not my "invention"... although they're of course implemented particularly well in Xequence 🥳😉

I've exaggerated a bit regarding gestures too -- for example, long-press in the editors to bring up box select is also strictly speaking a "gesture" and not immediately discoverable without reading the tooltip on first touch.

However what I find problematic is the extreme overuse of undiscoverable gestures without any kind of visual indication that there might even be one.

• I've never tried xequence because I understand it's only a midi sequencer, so you need to have another app (AUM for example) receiving midi from xequence to actually play, if I'm correct to save your work you need to save both a xequence and an AUM project right? and to open it again you need to open two projects?

Is there a way around this?

I like my projects self contained.

• @cokomairena said:
    I've never tried xequence because I understand it's only a midi sequencer, so you need to have another app (AUM for example) receiving midi from xequence to actually play, if I'm correct to save your work you need to save both a xequence and an AUM project right? and to open it again you need to open two projects?

Yes, if you use Xequence inside Audiobus, the Xequence project will be saved inside the Audiobus preset (session) automatically. You'll also get all the conveniences of the Audiobus transport panel, including fast app switching.

• edited August 2022

@SevenSystems said:

@Foleslaw said:

@Gdub said:

I'm happy to add my voice to the insisting crowd. :) I love X and this would be the very first thing I'd change (maybe the only one). The whole IAA control panel is not even needed - just that one button that takes you to AUM. Then you can keep saying it doesn't have an IAA control panel 🙂

Edit: it's fantastic that you have been so actively maintaining/improving this thing recently. Thank you!

• @ervin said:
    I'm happy to add my voice to the insisting crowd. :) I love X and this would be the very first thing I'd change (maybe the only one). The whole IAA control panel is not even needed - just that one button that takes you to AUM. Then you can keep saying it doesn't have an IAA control panel 🙂

OK, I've finally had enough and just implemented this for the Xequence 2.4 update. UI-wise, probably best to add this as a fifth "tab" in the top left corner that only shows when Xequence is hosted as IAA? Tapping it will then switch to the host...

Edit: it's fantastic that you have been so actively maintaining/improving this thing recently. Thank you!

Thank you for being a loyal customer 😊

• @SevenSystems said:

@cokomairena said:
    I've never tried xequence because I understand it's only a midi sequencer, so you need to have another app (AUM for example) receiving midi from xequence to actually play, if I'm correct to save your work you need to save both a xequence and an AUM project right? and to open it again you need to open two projects?

Yes, if you use Xequence inside Audiobus, the Xequence project will be saved inside the Audiobus preset (session) automatically. You'll also get all the conveniences of the Audiobus transport panel, including fast app switching.

Thanks!

• @SevenSystems said:

OK, I've finally had enough and just implemented this for the Xequence 2.4 update. UI-wise, probably best to add this as a fifth "tab" in the top left corner that only shows when Xequence is hosted as IAA? Tapping it will then switch to the host...

Wow. Just wow. The expected time of arrival for my next widely ignored magnum opus (currently being built in X, of course) has just come forward to this decade!

You make it an easy decision though. This app offers amazing value, and the more so in its latest, post-covid surge. 👍

• @ervin said:

@SevenSystems said:

Wow. Just wow. The expected time of arrival for my next widely ignored magnum opus (currently being built in X, of course) has just come forward to this decade!

🤣 Well let's hope this debate is settled then... (this will however stay an officially unsupported feature without any documentation...)

You make it an easy decision though. This app offers amazing value, and the more so in its latest, post-covid surge. 👍

Thanks!

• edited August 2022

@SevenSystems said:

🤣 Well let's hope this debate is settled then... (this will however stay an officially unsupported feature without any documentation...)

More than nice! 👍

• @SevenSystems said:

@ervin said:

OMG! OMG! BEST. UPDATE. EVER.
    Haha… Thanks!!!!

• @SevenSystems Thank you! Thank you for the back-to-host-button.. Simply awesome! 👍 ✅

• @SevenSystems said:

Aaaaand cut!

That's it, my work here is done, thank you very much for this thread, it was a great initiative, mate. 🎖️ 😀