Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DRAMBO 2.0 is LIVE!!!

Comments

• @rs2000 said:
    @jsmonzani Drambo Rule #1: Routing is always in forward/downward direction. You cannot send a signal or MIDI backwards from T2 to T1, except by using the Feedback Receive and Feedback Send modules for signals.

Solution in your case: Put your instrument on track 2 instead.

Thanks a lot! I had forgotten about Drambo "left to right" order (which is not intuitive for me in a modular environment). This worked, I tapped the midi input of module 2 and linked it to mini output of module 1 in the tracks view. Which means that if I want to mix multiple sources, I'll have to add a MIDI mixer there too.

It would be super convenient IMHO to have a simple "MIDI input" module which can select any track you want but that's the way it goes :smile:

• @supadom said:
    All we need is +1 and -1 beat right?

@rs2000 I was listening to some of my older tracks yesterday and 2 of the groovier ones were indeed in 7/4!
    I wonder if it creates issues with autogrow perhaps the option should be there for when autogrow is off @giku_beepstreet ?

Ideally, the number of steps per bar would be freely adjustable. It's debatable though if this should be a setting on pattern- or clip level.

• @rs2000 said:

@supadom said:

@rs2000 I was listening to some of my older tracks yesterday and 2 of the groovier ones were indeed in 7/4!
    I wonder if it creates issues with autogrow perhaps the option should be there for when autogrow is off @giku_beepstreet ?

Ideally, the number of steps per bar would be freely adjustable. It's debatable though if this should be a setting on pattern- or clip level.

Of course, but you’ve mentioned earlier that the reason it was dropped had to do with the introduction of Autogrow. Pattern level would be enough for me.

• @rs2000 said:

@supadom said:

I would say that it should be selectable at both Pattern and CLIP level.

• edited May 2022

Hey everyone, I've just uploaded a deep dive tutorial about the new Clip Mode. Enjoy!

• @jsmonzani said:

@rs2000 said:
    @jsmonzani Drambo Rule #1: Routing is always in forward/downward direction. You cannot send a signal or MIDI backwards from T2 to T1, except by using the Feedback Receive and Feedback Send modules for signals.

Solution in your case: Put your instrument on track 2 instead.

Thanks a lot! I had forgotten about Drambo "left to right" order (which is not intuitive for me in a modular environment). This worked, I tapped the midi input of module 2 and linked it to mini output of module 1 in the tracks view. Which means that if I want to mix multiple sources, I'll have to add a MIDI mixer there too.

It would be super convenient IMHO to have a simple "MIDI input" module which can select any track you want but that's the way it goes :smile:

Well that's possible indeed:

• @supadom said:

@rs2000 said:

@supadom said:

Of course, but you’ve mentioned earlier that the reason it was dropped had to do with the introduction of Autogrow. Pattern level would be enough for me.

Yep, that's why I'm suggesting to set steps per bar, not beats per bar. This would work with autogrow as well.

@Gravitas said:

@rs2000 said:

@supadom said:

I would say that it should be selectable at both Pattern and CLIP level.

+1 for polymeters and polyrhythms :smile:

• @rs2000 mate you seem to be the oracle round here re functionality, what's the proper way to automate on off states for FX units, I can't see how to do it like I would in say Ableton... T.i.a

• @rs2000 said:

Looks great but I couldn't manage to make it work 😅 I've connected MIDI to CV of track 8 with MIDI input of track 7 as in your example, and even enabled track 7 to always receive MID but no luck.

• Am I the only one fighting with the piano roll?

Even on a super simple project, I get random erratic selection (selection rectangle doesn't start under my finger for instance), or once selected, I can't seem to change the length of notes (yes, I'm moving them from their right side)... I've started two tests and ended up in these frustrating issues just after four bars.

Also I'm wondering how to make the default gate to 100% rather than 50% when using the step sequencer.

• @giku_beepstreet after I click TRK or PAT then clicking on the pads/keys “window” button doesn’t behave as I’d expect. When TRK is selected nothing happens. When PAT is selected you see the pads or keys option which wasn’t previously selected (i.e. it toggles). I’d expect that in both keys tapping window goes back to the previously selected option, so you can fluidly toggle between i.e. pattern and pads. (iPad 8 OS 15)

• edited May 2022

I’m surprised how great this is on the iPad mini. Even with a couple of floating AU windows, it doesn’t feel cramped.

Edit: also, putting @alecsbuga’s Sample Crate in slide over, and setting it to Drambo’s Recordings folder, lets you quickly record a stem, then drag it back into Drambo, where it automatically opens in a Flexi sampler.

• edited May 2022

I still have about 98 messages to read. Yes, I’m gonna read them all, your excimer is my excitement!.
    Will some kind soul please advance why the Button Module is so great?. Keep reading about it and I don’t know why it’s useful and what wishes it fulfills.

Also, I’m becoming such a fan of @giku_beepstreet. I’d buy a poster of the guy and put it up on my wall. I hope he’s in asshole in one way or another cos it’s too much to be so talented, intelligent, coherent…

@giku_beepstreet said:

@Turok said:
    Drambo is not available in the Russian app store?

No, taxes from each sale are paid in Russia and there is a man who spends them in a very bad way. I hope it's temporary and believe we can stop that, each grain of sand counts. It's nothing personal (just PMed you, there is an alternative way).

• @giku_beepstreet said:
    A tip: you may drag'n'drop files, folders and samples between Drambo, iOS files app, Audio Units that support this (e.g. Drambo or Koala) or OSX desktop (this needs universal control turned on).

Samples may be dropped directly on Flexi or on a track (Flexi is created automatically)

Internal Drambo file system is available in Drambo Files panel (burger menu). You may drop folders here.

You can open / close Drambo while holding dragged item or load another project.

You can also drag and drop into the Sampler which is great for velocity sensitive libraries.

Although I have to say it’s a bit buggy, sometimes it freezes and sometimes it doesn’t import

• @tahiche said:

Will some kind soul please advance why the Button Module is so great?. Keep reading about it and I don’t know why it’s useful and what wishes it fulfills.

It makes designing instruments much easier.

For instance the Buttons module reduces the need to have 16 separate Switch modules.

In version 1.4 I had designed a 32 step input sequencer
    for the Launchpad X which used a lot of modules.
    Using the Buttons module in version 2 assisted in simplifying the design.
    Here’s a screenshot for the current 32 step input sequencer.

• @symianbeatz said:
    @rs2000 mate you seem to be the oracle round here re functionality, what's the proper way to automate on off states for FX units, I can't see how to do it like I would in say Ableton... T.i.a

Think I just found the answer over on the drambo forum.. I'll try it later..

• feature of the day for me – fdn module.

• edited May 2022

@giku_beepstreet the only thing missing for me is a way for Drambo to stay in sync with DAWs when playhead is moved while loaded as an Auv3, without it always starting from bar one.
    Would be nice if there was like a button you tap to activate traditional daw playhead sync and tap to turn on “clips mode”.

• @eross said:
    is there a way to shit notes

• @dokwok2 said:

@eross said:
    is there a way to shit notes

Well played

• edited May 2022

Someone posted a list of nifty shortcuts, mainly using Undo and Mute, but now I can't seem to find it again. Not sure if it was in this thread. Anyone remembers? Stuff like Undo + something to clear, Mute + header to bypass module, and more.

Btw, the Drambo home page still explains the old UI in the documentation link. I hope the shortcuts could be listed there or inside the app, I'm sure I'll need to refresh them later:)

• A few questions, if I may:

• Drambo lists MPE amongst it's feature-list. How well does it play with Animoog Z? I'm specifically interested to know if midi can be recorded using Animoog's own keyboard and if said MIDI data is captured accurately i.e Similarly to how Geert Bevin's MIDI Tape Recorder was designed to do.

• Is it possible to set up a multi FX-rack, using internal and AUv3 FX, but have most of the important functions Macro'd to the 'face-plate' of modules? From there, I'd like those macros assigned to an AKAI MIDIMIX, such that every time the rack is called upon (Regardless of DAW/Host), all the knob mappings will be hard-wired. Any reasons why this couldn't work?

• Clearly, there have been a lot of improvements in V2. But how much of the original functionality still exists? I'm particularly interested to know if following the SoundForMore tutorials will still relate to still-existing core-functionality, or whether enough has been stripped away and improved to have to skip quite a large chunk of the playlist?

Many thanks :)

• @jsmonzani said:

@rs2000 said:

Looks great but I couldn't manage to make it work 😅 I've connected MIDI to CV of track 8 with MIDI input of track 7 as in your example, and even enabled track 7 to always receive MID but no luck.

Oh stupid me, sorry, of course it should be the output of the track above, not the input 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Tap on the MIDI input of MIDI2CV so it flashes orange
    • Tap on the "Main" track pad right below the rack
    • Choose the MIDI out port of track 7 in its mixer channel
  • @symianbeatz Well, there are 100 ways to do that, depending on how you build your effects.
    My preferred way of doing it is to use a Mixer > X-Fader module as a separate Dry/Wet control and automate that.
    The advantage of using intermediate modules like this (same for the Amp module) is that it's easier to swap things around it afterwards, without major re-routing.

• edited May 2022

@el_bo said:
    A few questions, if I may:

• Drambo lists MPE amongst it's feature-list. How well does it play with Animoog Z? I'm specifically interested to know if midi can be recorded using Animoog's own keyboard and if said MIDI data is captured accurately i.e Similarly to how Geert Bevin's MIDI Tape Recorder was designed to do.

Good question, we should investigate!

• Is it possible to set up a multi FX-rack, using internal and AUv3 FX, but have most of the important functions Macro'd to the 'face-plate' of modules? From there, I'd like those macros assigned to an AKAI MIDIMIX, such that every time the rack is called upon (Regardless of DAW/Host), all the knob mappings will be hard-wired. Any reasons why this couldn't work?

Yes, you can set up internal Drambo knobs or buttons on the ‘front’ of the track’s rack (ie. always visible) that are wired to internal modules or AUv3 FX, then MIDI learn the knobs/buttons to your controller. Save the project then reload it in any host, should work. Give it a go!

• Clearly, there have been a lot of improvements in V2. But how much of the original functionality still exists? I'm particularly interested to know if following the SoundForMore tutorials will still relate to still-existing core-functionality, or whether enough has been stripped away and improved to have to skip quite a large chunk of the playlist?

Videos that relate to how various modules work are likely still valid. Anything that goes into UI or workflow will be out of date, but it looks like the big names are starting to make tutorials, as well as… ahem… new ones.

• @el_bo said:
    A few questions, if I may:

It should work. The new Buttons and Knobs modules have a new option to be able to hide any of the knobs in the compact/folded rack view for more flexible placement. Plus you can use the new Morph knobs that can control different parameters each with their own scale.

The core functionality is still there. You get a number of new modules and a hugely improved sequencer but the basic workflow to build modular patches is still there, plus you can still load old projects and they should all work.

Many thanks :)

You're welcome!

• @MadGav said:
    @giku_beepstreet after I click TRK or PAT then clicking on the pads/keys “window” button doesn’t behave as I’d expect. When TRK is selected nothing happens. When PAT is selected you see the pads or keys option which wasn’t previously selected (i.e. it toggles). I’d expect that in both keys tapping window goes back to the previously selected option, so you can fluidly toggle between i.e. pattern and pads. (iPad 8 OS 15)

No one seeing this? Or am I misunderstanding how it should work?

• @MadGav said:

@MadGav said:
    @giku_beepstreet after I click TRK or PAT then clicking on the pads/keys “window” button doesn’t behave as I’d expect. When TRK is selected nothing happens. When PAT is selected you see the pads or keys option which wasn’t previously selected (i.e. it toggles). I’d expect that in both keys tapping window goes back to the previously selected option, so you can fluidly toggle between i.e. pattern and pads. (iPad 8 OS 15)

No one seeing this? Or am I misunderstanding how it should work?

Indeed. Some tap sequences don't always work as expected. Thanks for reporting.

• edited May 2022

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    Good question, we should investigate!

Thanks!

Would love to be part of that, but I neither own Drambo nor Animoog Z. Animoog has been on my wish-list since release, and is now on sale. What has stopped me in my tracks is having, in the last few days, read that it doesn't play well with DAW (Either the DAW won't record from Animoog's own keyboard, or much of the performance data will be a garbled mess). It was the specific mention of MPE among Dr.s features that had me curious. But also curious if the actual Moog app can be recorded, which is a big part of the puzzle.

Edited, to clarify: I do want to buy Animoog. But if no DAW can handle it, I'lll leave it. If Drambo can, then I'll buy Animoog's upgrade.

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    Yes, you can set up internal Drambo knobs or buttons on the ‘front’ of the track’s rack (ie. always visible) that are wired to internal modules or AUv3 FX, then MIDI learn the knobs/buttons to your controller. Save the project then reload it in any host, should work. Give it a go!

Great! Seems like it'd be possible, in some form or other.

I forgot to ask if FX modules can be routed in parallel? and also incorporate feedback loops (Even having different plugins within those loops e.g like Bitwig?)

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    Videos that relate to how various modules work are likely still valid. Anything that goes into UI or workflow will be out of date, but it looks like the big names are starting to make tutorials, as well as… ahem… new ones.

Good to know.

I actually watched your first video and the music you made with V2. Liked the track, but also enjoyed your video style. I can see tutorials being twice the length of the contained info ;) but in the case of an app that appears to have such a steep learning-curve, the slower pacing likely helps a lot. Certainly, the interjection of humour is probably good for memorising the material, by way of reinforcement :)

• @rs2000 said:
    It should work. The new Buttons and Knobs modules have a new option to be able to hide any of the knobs in the compact/folded rack view for more flexible placement. Plus you can use the new Morph knobs that can control different parameters each with their own scale.

Thanks!

I'm probably guilty of a bit of 'cart before horse' thinking, in this case. I first need to conceive of the live track workflow, before thinking of specific effects possibilities. But it's good to know that I'll likely be able to put every one of the 32 knobs to good use :)

@rs2000 said:
    The core functionality is still there. You get a number of new modules and a hugely improved sequencer but the basic workflow to build modular patches is still there, plus you can still load old projects and they should all work.

Well...seeing as this app will almost definitely be a part of my future, i might as well start watching the basics :)