Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Such a shame Beatmaker 3 is likely a very dead app soon…

Comments

• Drambo hosting SunVox is one of my favorite combos.
    BM3 is still my favorite sampling workstation, but for how long is another question…

• @KirbyMumbo said:
    I tried BM3 for so long and I honestly couldn't get the hang of it. The UI was annoying, the lack of built-in sounds annoyed me for the price it cost, it crashes at least once every time I use it with AUs, I don't sample a ton so the sampler isn't as relevant to me, and it had more menu diving than I want to deal with. The biggest thing was the crashing and random hiccups I ran into while being in the zone and straight up losing presets that won't reload.

For me, Korg Gadget solved all those issues and Cubasis is my preffered AU host. I'm interested to see if they do an update or just release the 4th version.

""I got 99 problems, but a lack of sounds ain't one". Kitmaker really totally changed the BM3 experience for me. With it I was able to quickly and easily batch convert the vast majority of my sample collection which includes many Maschine and MPC expansions. So the sample universe is fully covered. When I want to add synths (Moog, Korg, SugarBytes,etc.) there are plenty of awesome AUv3 synths available and easily accessible from within BM3. Heck, there are even numerous high quality AUv3 drum machines which work great within BM3. Two of my favorites are Hammerhead (we go back over 25 years:) and DrumComputer:) https://www.kit-maker.com/

• @Dham said:

@KirbyMumbo said:
    I tried BM3 for so long and I honestly couldn't get the hang of it. The UI was annoying, the lack of built-in sounds annoyed me for the price it cost, it crashes at least once every time I use it with AUs, I don't sample a ton so the sampler isn't as relevant to me, and it had more menu diving than I want to deal with. The biggest thing was the crashing and random hiccups I ran into while being in the zone and straight up losing presets that won't reload.

For me, Korg Gadget solved all those issues and Cubasis is my preffered AU host. I'm interested to see if they do an update or just release the 4th version.

""I got 99 problems, but a lack of sounds ain't one". Kitmaker really totally changed the BM3 experience for me. With it I was able to quickly and easily batch convert the vast majority of my sample collection which includes many Maschine and MPC expansions. So the sample universe is fully covered. When I want to add synths (Moog, Korg, SugarBytes,etc.) there are plenty of awesome AUv3 synths available and easily accessible from within BM3. Heck, there are even numerous high quality AUv3 drum machines which work great within BM3. Two of my favorites are Hammerhead (we go back over 25 years:) and DrumComputer:) https://www.kit-maker.com/

I'm glad people are able to use it well and I've been watching videos on it. I think it's just ultimately not my workflow-style. I rarely sample and I really like using Gadget's instruments and workflow to start tracks quickly and then refine with the controls. I may give it a shot if I get into sample heavy music again as Gadget's samplers are solid but the file management is moronic.

• @KirbyMumbo said:

@Dham said:

@KirbyMumbo said:

I'm glad people are able to use it well and I've been watching videos on it. I think it's just ultimately not my workflow-style. I rarely sample and I really like using Gadget's instruments and workflow to start tracks quickly and then refine with the controls. I may give it a shot if I get into sample heavy music again as Gadget's samplers are solid but the file management is moronic.

There isn't a compelling reason to use BM3 if sampling isn't an important part of one's flow, imo.

• edited November 2022

It is the sampler section that makes the app. Would have been nice to have this separated out. Would have made them a bit more money in the process too. There are some really nice parts to the workflow in there as well which with experience (so you know which bugs to be aware of) can lead to great results.
    I've got an iPad which is still on iOS14 and might have to stay there for the immediate future so some of these apps stay in a good place.

• @Dham said:
    Kitmaker really totally changed the BM3 experience for me.

Another year I forget to check kitmaker + presetmaker for sale on Black Friday :lol:
    seems they never do them anyway. It's not expensive, but converting to my currency hits a bit :disappointed:
    Gonna save some to gift me on x-mas :tongue:

• @Samu said:
    Drambo hosting SunVox is one of my favorite combos.
    BM3 is still my favorite sampling workstation, but for how long is another question…

@Samu :I need to get into Sun Vox..I don’t even know what it is, lol.. I keep reading about it though..

• @Telstar5 said:

@Samu said:

@Samu :I need to get into Sun Vox..I don’t even know what it is, lol.. I keep reading about it though..

Sunvox is one of those apps that is able to do a lot. Maybe almost everything. Years and years of awesome updates.
    Totally worth your time. Oh... it's free on desktop. Alexander (the dev) only charges on iOS and Android because of the costs of the app stores.

Now I gotta try this too. I already paired them side by side. Gotta do them together.
    (I have a 'GM' template on Sunvox that I used mainly with Xequencer, will probably fit fine with Drambo as a starting point)

• @Samu said:

I wanted to ask you how are you hosting Sunvox inside Drambo?
    Each track is one instance? Or just one instance?

I'm sure you have an optimal thing going (and i'm still figuring things out :lol:)

• @senhorlampada said:

@Samu said:

I wanted to ask you how are you hosting Sunvox inside Drambo?
    Each track is one instance? Or just one instance?

I'm sure you have an optimal thing going (and i'm still figuring things out :lol:)

One SunVox AUV3 istance is often more than enough for my needs.
    In those cases I treat one track in Drambo as a bus that is fed by SunVox and record the output to a flexi sampler. In other cases it’s an AUv3 effect. Use cases vary and I only use it when a feature in Drambo is still missing or too tedious to rebuild (Spectum oscillator, 5OP FM, Mod-File backing tracks etc.). It’s not like I allways use SunVox but only when I need specific functions.

• Maschine is easily the hardware equivalent.

• @Samu said:

One SunVox AUV3 istance is often more than enough for my needs.
    In those cases I treat one track in Drambo as a bus that is fed by SunVox and record the output to a flexi sampler. In other cases it’s an AUv3 effect. Use cases vary and I only use it when a feature in Drambo is still missing or too tedious to rebuild (Spectum oscillator, 5OP FM, Mod-File backing tracks etc.). It’s not like I allways use SunVox but only when I need specific functions.

Nice... Thank you so much :wink:
    I generally use them side by side, sending sequences from Drambo to Sunvox's sequencer. But after reading your comment, decided to host it. Drambo + Sunvox is too cramped in my iPad Mini, but still fun :lol:

• @senhorlampada said:
    ctions.

Nice... Thank you so much :wink:
    I generally use them side by side, sending sequences from Drambo to Sunvox's sequencer. But after reading your comment, decided to host it. Drambo + Sunvox is too cramped in my iPad Mini, but still fun :lol:

There's so much fun and experimentation to be had...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/va7mk7byi6f4x9t/draw.mp4?dl=0

Drawing a sample-waveform on the fly in SunVox's Sampler while Drambo plays the Sequence...
    (All this can be recorded in sync into a Flexisampler but this area will likely improve quite a bit in the future).

I'd suggest using each app for what they excel at and that doesn't automatically mean using them together.
    One could be used to render audio for the other and vice versa.

Once you know what each app can do individually it becomes easier to combine the resources.
    (Just like I can host SunVox in Drambo I can also host Drambo in BM3 as 'sampler fodder').

It all boils down to what one wants to do :sunglasses:

Cheers!

• edited December 2022

@Stuntman_mike said:
    Maschine is easily the hardware equivalent.

To what? Beatmaker 3? No no no…not in a million years. The sampler in Maschine plus is disappointing. I owned it for several months and returned it. I wouldn’t even rank the Maschine plus with my Akai force. It definitely doesn’t touch my fantom 6. The sample engine of Beatmaker 3 is insanely beyond that of Maschine plus or even the Akai. I am just worried the developers may not have the ability to keep it going forward in the future. That is what the post was about. The fear that Beatmaker 3 was such a strong app, only to just fall to the abyss of dead apps in the future…I hope this isn’t its fate.

• edited December 2022

@MrSmileZ said:

@Stuntman_mike said:
    Maschine is easily the hardware equivalent.

To what? Beatmaker 3? No no no…not in a million years. The sampler in Maschine plus is disappointing. I owned it for several months and returned it. I wouldn’t even rank the Maschine plus with my Akai force. It definitely doesn’t touch my fantom 6. The sample engine of Beatmaker 3 is insanely beyond that of Maschine plus or even the Akai. I am just worried the developers may not have the ability to keep it going forward in the future. That is what the post was about. The fear that Beatmaker 3 was such a strong app, only to just fall to the abyss of dead apps in the future…I hope this isn’t its fate.

Totally agree,
    I both have BeatMaker and a Maschine+.
    Maschine+ sampler can’t touch the one in BeatMaker.
    BeatMaker can play a time stretched sample polyphonically!
    They both share very rare update nowadays.

• Beatmaker is absolutely insane, better than even most desktop daws for what it does well. I’m always amazed when I’ve been working in Ableton or Bitwig for a while then return to Beatmaker - just being able to create multiple ideas on the fly with the patterns with separate automation so quickly , fx per pad - the piano roll on each pad ( what else has that so well built in? ) / fx macros etc… Could go on forever, truly hope it still has some life. Such a brilliant DAW.

• Can someone confirm that recording audio in BM3 is working? I just cracked open a project I worked on a while back and I can’t get an audio signal in BM3 via my interface (works perfectly in AUM and Loopy Pro). Further it won’t let me create a new audio track…

• @CapnWillie said:
    I have it on very good authority that a BM3 update is incoming.

Also agree with the recent sentiments that BM3 sampler is really in its own class. Serato Sample is the only other software sampler I reach for and not because it’s necessarily better. Maschine is great but there is no conversation where the sampling workflow or feature set is comparable to BM3 imo.

Oh boy this right here is some great news! Thx for the heads up capn

• This is the curse of BM3. I have some time, I have an idea, I go to record audio… and nope. It just doesn’t work. I give up.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    This is the curse of BM3. I have some time, I have an idea, I go to record audio… and nope. It just doesn’t work. I give up.

Out of curiosity what OS version are you using?

I just upgraded the OS to iOS 16, and I just checked and the audio input seems not to be working for me in BeatMaker either either with my interface or the internal mic.

Is anyone with BeatMaker 3 and iOS 16 here able to record audio input to an audio track?

• @espiegel123 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    This is the curse of BM3. I have some time, I have an idea, I go to record audio… and nope. It just doesn’t work. I give up.

I just upgraded the OS to iOS 16, and I just checked and the audio input seems not to be working for me in BeatMaker either either with my interface or the internal mic.

Is anyone with BeatMaker 3 and iOS 16 here able to record audio input to an audio track?

I’m on 16.2 and I suspected an iOS version problem but I tried rebooting for giggles and it worked. Now, why audio worked fine for AUM and LP but not BM3 until a full reboot? I have no idea!

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@espiegel123 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

I’m on 16.2 and I suspected an iOS version problem but I tried rebooting for giggles and it worked. Now, why audio worked fine for AUM and LP but not BM3 until a full reboot? I have no idea!

I’ll give it a try. Tx

• @espiegel123 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@espiegel123 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

I’ll give it a try. Tx

My issue was user error. I forgot that BeatMaker's meters don't show input levels if monitoring is off.

• Here it is working fine
    Will try with an interface in a few hours (on lunch break)

• @espiegel123 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@espiegel123 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

I’ll give it a try. Tx

My issue was user error. I forgot that BeatMaker's meters don't show input levels if monitoring is off.

I can't tell you how many times I've spent too much time diagnosing audio problems in BM3 before remembering to turn on monitoring. I get why they default it to OFF in the UX but it's very confusing until you know to plan around it.

• well you will always have koala as an option which is the next best app for sampling plus you will probably end up liking it more then beatmaker 3

• @SLPGroundSoundMusic said:
    well you will always have koala as an option which is the next best app for sampling plus you will probably end up liking it more then beatmaker 3

Long time Koala user here. It is great for some things, but the things I use BeatMaker for are cases where it has things to offer that Koala doesn’t.

• @espiegel123 said:

@SLPGroundSoundMusic said:
    well you will always have koala as an option which is the next best app for sampling plus you will probably end up liking it more then beatmaker 3

Long time Koala user here. It is great for some things, but the things I use BeatMaker for are cases where it has things to offer that Koala doesn’t.

Also, depending on the sampling task, Loopy Pro is usually what I reach for unless something screams out for BeatMaker.

• edited April 2023

Im late to the party but I just got beatmaker 3. I was looking for something in between Cubasis (which is basically iOS full DAW) and Drambo (a modular groove box). Cubasis is a standard DAW so it takes a little time for me to get where I want to get especially for quick sketches or improvising/jamming. To me, Drambo is still my favorite, but I was looking for a little more audio tweaking. I wanted something where I could get down ideas quickly, and have room to change things up, or add audio stuff that was hard to do in Drambo.

I have still yet to get used to it, but it seems to be a very powerful little DAW. As a few people said, it has a lot of strengths based on the feature list and the user reviews. My issue so far has been as some other have said, I’m taking some time to get used to the user interface. But I was not able to get MIDI to work and some other audio parameter and Intua got back to me in one day to help me out. It was a simple thing, but I appreciate when developers reply so quickly (based on that, I dont think it’s abandoned, or at least I hope not).

(Can anyone recommend a good tutorial, nothing too long or multi part, but enough to get you comfortable with making a simple track?)

• There are several people that have good videos on YouTube. Sorry I can’t think of there names but just get on there and look up some beatmaker3 tutorials or making beats and you’ll see them.