Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FFS where are the acoustic drums?

Comments

• @Ailerom said:

@NeuM said:
    Here's my issue with all available drum kits on iOS... I cannot get a decent Neil Peart-style kit (in terms of options) together for productions. I end up piecing together audio from 3 or 4 different sources in order to fill out the full sound I'm looking for. Why hasn't there been a pallete of options a real drummer would have available to them in the form of a drum machine/drum kit on iOS or desktop? Percussion and drum choices in the real world are vast.

Maybe if Neil, Sean Kinney or Danny Carey were the iPad Jesus, but unfortunately it's Jordan Rudess.

And unfortunately, we no longer have Neil with us.

• edited February 2022

I can’t say I’m a Neil Peart fan, but that reminds me I have a Neil Peart drumkit for Sampletank on my Mac — along with some other Sampletank drum kits that I’ve not yet used…

I might tray and use Logic’s auto sampler and make some kits I can use on iOS.

• @NeuM said:

@Ailerom said:

@NeuM said:
    Here's my issue with all available drum kits on iOS... I cannot get a decent Neil Peart-style kit (in terms of options) together for productions. I end up piecing together audio from 3 or 4 different sources in order to fill out the full sound I'm looking for. Why hasn't there been a pallete of options a real drummer would have available to them in the form of a drum machine/drum kit on iOS or desktop? Percussion and drum choices in the real world are vast.

Maybe if Neil, Sean Kinney or Danny Carey were the iPad Jesus, but unfortunately it's Jordan Rudess.

And unfortunately, we no longer have Neil with us.

Oh he's here. As much as he ever was.As long as I have my music collection, we'll still be catching up from time to time.

• I'm not asking for much so I have to wonder if it is a perception thing by the creators of big drums, Hard Rock, Grunge, etc. I nearly bought some pretty damn good sounding drum libraries I found last night. Sadly they turned out to be loop libraries. Well that's no use to me either. I want to be able to tweak those fills to perfection. p

• @klownshed said:
    I can’t say I’m a Neil Peart fan, but that reminds me I have a Neil Peart drumkit for Sampletank on my Mac — along with some other Sampletank drum kits that I’ve not yet used…

Neil Peart and Terry Bozzio were/are a few of the guys who really made me appreciate the contributions of a "drummer as a musician" to a band and not just a person who could keep time.

• edited February 2022

@Ailerom said:
    I'm not asking for much so I have to wonder if it is a perception thing by the creators of big drums, Hard Rock, Grunge, etc. I nearly bought some pretty damn good sounding drum libraries I found last night. Sadly they turned out to be loop libraries. Well that's no use to me either. I want to be able to tweak those fills to perfection. p

It's all about the paradiddles!

I'm hoping a company like IK Multimedia or Audio Modeling finally makes an acoustic modeled series of drums that will give us drum options as flexible as a real kit. Wouldn't you like to be able to hit any part of a virtual drum (including the shell) to experiment with new drum sounds?

• Errmmmm.

Drummer here.
    I’m getting back into the hot seat as it were.

I’m shall be providing loopable content via my Gumroad later on this year.
    On route if anyone needs actual sessions?
    We can have a chat.

If you can’t wait until then?
    The drummer for my improv band pre Lockdown is up for remote sessions.

• @NeuM said:

@klownshed said:

Neil Peart and Terry Bozzio were/are a few of the guys who really made me appreciate the contributions of a "drummer as a musician" to a band and not just a person who could keep time.

I’m sure they’re amazing drummers.

I don’t like the bands they were in so never paid any attention to them.

Many of my favourite bands used the same drummer. A bloke called Roland. 🤣

• @NeuM said:

I'm hoping a company like IK Multimedia or Audio Modeling finally makes an acoustic modeled series of drums that will give us drum options as flexible as a real kit. Wouldn't you like to be able to hit any part of a virtual drum (including the shell) to experiment with new drum sounds?

No, not IKM, please not them. If there's anything they've proven over the last 15 years it that drums are not their forte.

• @Ailerom said:

@NeuM said:

No, not IKM, please not them. If there's anything they've proven over the last 15 years it that drums are not their forte.

That's a fair criticism, but I figure once one of them comes up with a suitable modeled instrument offering the others won't be far behind.

• @klownshed said:

@NeuM said:

@klownshed said:

I’m sure they’re amazing drummers.

I don’t like the bands they were in so never paid any attention to them.

Many of my favourite bands used the same drummer. A bloke called Roland. 🤣

I guess it is similar to be an electronic musician, although at opposite ends of the spectrum. I can't find a single product I want. But for electronic sounds I could search through my iPad for days and still only tap the surface of the possibilities and never be completely happy with the sound I chose.

• @NeuM said:

@Ailerom said:

@NeuM said:

That's a fair criticism, but I figure once one of them comes up with a suitable modeled instrument offering the others won't be far behind.

Good call. I'm not a developer but maybe I could create something that looks like awesome acoustic drums to trick the big guys into jumping on board. Announce it on Twitter with deceitfully convincing drum UI and sample options. Who is with me and my evil plot? Mwa ha ha ha ha haaaaaaa!!!

Now, I'll need someone who knows how to post to Twitter.

• @Ailerom said:

@NeuM said:

I quite like modo drum. Especially the snare.

This is reminding me; Back in the day I spent countless hours making kits for my EPS16 plus using a Bob clear mountain drums sample CD.

The EPS didn’t have a waveform display. You had to do everything by ear. Sounded bloody great though. There’s something quite special about the sounds it made.

• Basically I'd be happy with Evil Joe Baressi kits on my iPad. Don't think they sell single samples though so that would be an export from BFD chore. Might give the Multi layer drum drops a go. Not sure which kit though. I'm a bit disappointed with the Mapex but the multi could improve that.

I have some old steven slate kits for konstantin. I wonder what formats Audiolayer imports. Will have to check that out.

Slowly, it is starting to dawn on me that I might have to do this myself. As traumatic as that is the worst part is I will need to do it for at least3 to 5 kits.

• It seems that Audiolayer imports the Logic sampler ESPX24 something or other. I bought some one shots that come with this format but importing it just ends up with a blank instrument. Any ideas on how this should work?

• @Ailerom said:
    I've chased decent drums since buying my first iPad. I'm sure it just comes down to taste but after today I feel like I've tried everything and it's all disappointing. About the best thing I can imagine is to build my own kit from samples (which I don't have) in Koala or similar. And I think I'm done with Lumbeats and anyone else who has stopped development short of auv3. (Disclaimer: All personal opinion, no facts were used in this post).

Slammer, Ting, Skaka are my go-tos. Also Soft Drummer.

• @Ailerom said:

@Gilbert said:

@Ailerom said:
    I've chased decent drums since buying my first iPad. I'm sure it just comes down to taste but after today I feel like I've tried everything and it's all disappointing. About the best thing I can imagine is to build my own kit from samples (which I don't have) in Koala or similar. And I think I'm done with Lumbeats and anyone else who has stopped development short of auv3. (Disclaimer: All personal opinion, no facts were used in this post).

Have you heard about DrumPerfect Pro?

• 16 detailed libraries ( packs ), multisampled, in many styles of drumming from Rock, Jazz... to Brazilian.
    • Load user's samples ( up to 256 samples per kit. )

• Auv3 player ( just load the track from Presets )

Demos tracks listening here:
    https://soundcloud.com/user-45973677

I have DPP. Have spent plenty of time with it but not real thrilled about the kits.

Best kits are in the IAPs IMO

• @Ailerom said:
    Basically I'd be happy with Evil Joe Baressi kits on my iPad. Don't think they sell single samples though so that would be an export from BFD chore. Might give the Multi layer drum drops a go. Not sure which kit though. I'm a bit disappointed with the Mapex but the multi could improve that.

I have some old steven slate kits for konstantin. I wonder what formats Audiolayer imports. Will have to check that out.

Slowly, it is starting to dawn on me that I might have to do this myself. As traumatic as that is the worst part is I will need to do it for at least3 to 5 kits.

DIY is the only way to get your dream kit up and running - except you're willing to pay developers for an exclusive kit 😉

• @hightunnels said:
    Patterning has plenty of good acoustic kits in its community library

Confirmed!

• @Ailerom said:

@Gilbert said:

@Ailerom said:

• 16 detailed libraries ( packs ), multisampled, in many styles of drumming from Rock, Jazz... to Brazilian.

I have DPP. Have spent plenty of time with it but not real thrilled about the kits.

Roll your own. It’s not hard.

• Digistix2 would be perfect if you could have velocity and round robin at same time. The multi out makes mixing drums in a track so easy. Has anyone heard of a future update to the app.

• @gusgranite said:

@Ailerom said:

@Gilbert said:

@Ailerom said:

Best kits are in the IAPs IMO

I think I agree. I bought the GM kit when I first got DPP. The rock kits sound pretty good. I tried using DPP yesterday. I think it sounds better than the Lumbeats Rock DM. But I couldn't for the life of me figure how to stop Cubasis controlling the tempo.

• @zilld2017 said:

@hightunnels said:
    Patterning has plenty of good acoustic kits in its community library

Confirmed!

Can they be played like a sampled kit?

• @klownshed said:
    You could just make your own plug-in!

https://audiokitpro.com/makeinstrumentwithak5/

This would be me.

• I find the GarageBand kits to be really good. I play drums, have a few nice 60’s kits (premier, Ludwig & gretsch.)

• @timforsyth said:
    Not wanting to drop £20+ on drum drops to a test an idea out, I found a way to export/convert the samples from Sennheiser's Drummica (its free).

Can you please share how did you do that? I'm going to sell my Mac but realistic acoustic drums seem to be something still unavailable elsewhere.

• edited August 2022

@BiancaNeve said:
    And we’re still awaiting

DrumJam Pads - Upcoming AUv3

+1
    It's been anounced quite a while ago. The dev has been working on the excellent Paulxstretch effect. Hope that will come next.

• @alexwasashrimp said:

@timforsyth said:
    Not wanting to drop £20+ on drum drops to a test an idea out, I found a way to export/convert the samples from Sennheiser's Drummica (its free).

Can you please share how did you do that? I'm going to sell my Mac but realistic acoustic drums seem to be something still unavailable elsewhere.

If importing drum samples into your own favorite sampler is not your thing, try The Acoustic Drums pack in BeatHawk.
    It's on sale atm.

• edited August 2022

Agreed with OP. There should be a simple interface good quality acoustic multisampled drumset in AU, where can select between different drumsets or change individual drums and maybe adjust some basic stuff like tuning and mic position and maybe mic type for each drum and overhead mic and maybe a basic compressor for each drum, maybe a reverb and delay also. But making it able to send audio through multiple channels would also be good enough, as you could then use AU plugin FX for each drum in AUM.

I really dont understand why no one does this, but there are all sorts of different types of sampled instruments. I get it that its more work to do this work instead of just coding some electronic drums or synth or just using some samples from old drum machines and only coding the UI, but people have made other types of good sampled instruments..