Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FFS where are the acoustic drums?

Comments

• edited August 2022

@ToMess You're basically asking for something like XLN Addictive Drums or Toontrack Superior Drummer on iOS 😄

I've done exactly that for myself in Drambo but nobody wants to know, I know I know...

• edited August 2022

@rs2000 said:
    @ToMess You're basically asking for something like XLN Addictive Drums or Toontrack Superior Drummer on iOS 😄

I've done exactly that for myself in Drambo but nobody wants to know, I know I know...

Yea. But didnt they have at least some sort of sequencer or midi loops built in also? Been a while since i looked into those. Anyways, i dont think that sort of stuff would be needed for the AU, just the sounds, as you can do sequencing and even drum pads from other AU midi plugins or external sequencers or live play with electric drumset.

• @rs2000 said:

@alexwasashrimp said:

@timforsyth said:
    Not wanting to drop £20+ on drum drops to a test an idea out, I found a way to export/convert the samples from Sennheiser's Drummica (its free).

Can you please share how did you do that? I'm going to sell my Mac but realistic acoustic drums seem to be something still unavailable elsewhere.

If importing drum samples into your own favorite sampler is not your thing, try The Acoustic Drums pack in BeatHawk.
    It's on sale atm.

I've bought Audiolayer but turns out multisampled acoustic drums suitable for metal are a dying breed. That's why I'm so interested in a way to export Drummica.
    Thanks for the recommendation, do you know if the drums in BeatHawk are multisamples?

• @alexwasashrimp said:

@rs2000 said:

@alexwasashrimp said:

@timforsyth said:
    Not wanting to drop £20+ on drum drops to a test an idea out, I found a way to export/convert the samples from Sennheiser's Drummica (its free).

Can you please share how did you do that? I'm going to sell my Mac but realistic acoustic drums seem to be something still unavailable elsewhere.

If importing drum samples into your own favorite sampler is not your thing, try The Acoustic Drums pack in BeatHawk.
    It's on sale atm.

I've bought Audiolayer but turns out multisampled acoustic drums suitable for metal are a dying breed. That's why I'm so interested in a way to export Drummica.
    Thanks for the recommendation, do you know if the drums in BeatHawk are multisamples?

They are but if you mean multiple velocity layers, I'd have to check that later.

• @rs2000 said:
    They are but if you mean multiple velocity layers, I'd have to check that later.

Thanks! Ideally, both multiple velocity layers and round robin for variations. That would be perfect.

• @ToMess said:
    Agreed with OP. There should be a simple interface good quality acoustic multisampled drumset in AU, where can select between different drumsets or change individual drums and maybe adjust some basic stuff like tuning and mic position and maybe mic type for each drum and overhead mic and maybe a basic compressor for each drum, maybe a reverb and delay also. But making it able to send audio through multiple channels would also be good enough, as you could then use AU plugin FX for each drum in AUM.

I really dont understand why no one does this, but there are all sorts of different types of sampled instruments. I get it that its more work to do this work instead of just coding some electronic drums or synth or just using some samples from old drum machines and only coding the UI, but people have made other types of good sampled instruments..

The reason is sample: iOS music app development doesn’t generate a lot of money.

• @espiegel123 said:

@ToMess said:
    Agreed with OP. There should be a simple interface good quality acoustic multisampled drumset in AU, where can select between different drumsets or change individual drums and maybe adjust some basic stuff like tuning and mic position and maybe mic type for each drum and overhead mic and maybe a basic compressor for each drum, maybe a reverb and delay also. But making it able to send audio through multiple channels would also be good enough, as you could then use AU plugin FX for each drum in AUM.

I really dont understand why no one does this, but there are all sorts of different types of sampled instruments. I get it that its more work to do this work instead of just coding some electronic drums or synth or just using some samples from old drum machines and only coding the UI, but people have made other types of good sampled instruments..

The reason is sample: iOS music app development doesn’t generate a lot of money.

Ferzackerley.

It has already been stated, but we do have this on iOS already in our own indie dev way through DrumPerfect Pro. The kits sound great, can be intricately programmed, have multi velocity, round robin, left hand/right hand, etc. Learn the app, create the drum track as a presets, then use the preset player as an AU in your track. It’s not perfect and takes some learning but if you really want acoustic drums on iOS then it’s your best option IMO.

• @gusgranite said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ToMess said:

Ferzackerley.

It has already been stated, but we do have this on iOS already in our own indie dev way through DrumPerfect Pro. The kits sound great, can be intricately programmed, have multi velocity, round robin, left hand/right hand, etc. Learn the app, create the drum track as a presets, then use the preset player as an AU in your track. It’s not perfect and takes some learning but if you really want acoustic drums on iOS then it’s your best option IMO.

Yea but the thing is that people do all sorts of other instruments and stuff like drum perfect pro and other drummer apps, but no one makes this sort of good streamlines AU drums. I have no need for preset player for drum beats, thats a whole another way of making drums and many others also dont, but would just prefer good streamlined acoustic drum plugin inside a DAW.

• @ToMess said:

Because that's a ton of processing power needed for those "simple" things you want, which is why this is mostly restricted to desktop and laptop computing.

• @ToMess said:

@gusgranite said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ToMess said:

Ferzackerley.

Yea but the thing is that people do all sorts of other instruments and stuff like drum perfect pro and other drummer apps, but no one makes this sort of good streamlines AU drums. I have no need for preset player for drum beats, thats a whole another way of making drums and many others also dont, but would just prefer good streamlined acoustic drum plugin inside a DAW.

I understand why you (and we all) want it. You asked why it doesn't exist and I gave you the answer. Most people here think these apps generate far more revenue than they do. Believe me, if it were lucrative, you would have long ago seen the DPP developer create an AU version with features like you are requesting...or someone else would have done so. All we can do is cross our fingers and hope.

• @espiegel123 said:
    All we can do is cross our fingers and hope.

Or go the extra mile and build such an iOS AUv3 instrument at home using the well known apps. Drum samples are available aplenty.

• @espiegel123 said:

@ToMess said:

@gusgranite said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ToMess said:

Ferzackerley.

I understand why you (and we all) want it. You asked why it doesn't exist and I gave you the answer. Most people here think these apps generate far more revenue than they do. Believe me, if it were lucrative, you would have long ago seen the DPP developer create an AU version with features like you are requesting...or someone else would have done so. All we can do is cross our fingers and hope.

I certainly agree that app development is likely not very lucrative etc however there does seem to be a gap in the market here.

Most drum apps offer some kind of sequencing as well as the samples, but there isn’t an app that just does the samples without offering a sequencer.

I would love an app that just had some high quality multi-velocity and round robin acoustic drum samples without the sequencing. You would think this would be relatively easy to make, since it’s asking for less features than the average drum app, it just needs decent samples.

I believe @sonosaurus is working on something of the sort though.

• Modo Drum from Ik Multimedia is supposed to land on iOS.
    But it’s just a rumor.

• @richardyot : I agree (as I said earlier) that it is a gap. I was answering the question of why the gap exists. Especially since the question was phrased as if it is a no-brainer that a developer should write such an app...which I wish were the case.

Most of the great apps we have were developed as labors of love, or written at a time when iOS music app development was more profitable, or developed as loss leaders by cross-platform developers cementing loyalty, or exploratory efforts by devs to see if iOS was worth it.

• edited August 2022

@alexwasashrimp said:

@rs2000 said:

Thanks! Ideally, both multiple velocity layers and round robin for variations. That would be perfect.

It seems like the "Acoustic Drums" pack does come with a few velocity layers and round robin samples indeed.

• @NeuM said:

@ToMess said:

Because that's a ton of processing power needed for those "simple" things you want, which is why this is mostly restricted to desktop and laptop computing.

There are drum apps on ios and not many would notice the difference if the files were slightly more compressed and bit fewer samples than on top desktop programs.

• @NeuM said:

@ToMess said:

Those features aren’t processor intensive. The issue is not cpu power. It’s simple economics.

I guess NeuM might not see my response as I think he has blocked me. Someone might want to let him know.

• @alexwasashrimp said:

@rs2000 said:

@alexwasashrimp said:

@timforsyth said:

It's on sale atm.

I bought an amazing sounding metal kit from drum drops and added it into audio layer. Works and sounds great

• edited August 2022

@baconink said:

@alexwasashrimp said:

@rs2000 said:

@alexwasashrimp said:

@timforsyth said:

It's on sale atm.

I bought an amazing sounding metal kit from drum drops and added it into audio layer. Works and sounds great

Audiolayer is the proof that DSP and the storage are not the problems.
    Audiolayer just miss multi out and a dedicated library

• edited August 2022

iOS acoustic drums are in the land where you also can find iOS Melodyne alternatives…

Except for DrumPerfectPro, this one is a desktop level plugin and the only thing missing currently is the (crucial, I know) ability to be triggered by MIDI sequencer of our DAWs like any Desktop plug-in. Having to use the built in sequencer is extremely cumbersome and kind of trying unsuccessfully to reinvent the wheel, even though I appreciate the fact its development started in the era of self contained, sandboxed music apps, so there is that.

But sound wise, Drum Perfect is perfect as the name suggests, up there with the Desktop big brothers…

• edited August 2022

@Jeezs said:
    Modo Drum from Ik Multimedia is supposed to land on iOS.
    But it’s just a rumor.

That would be pretty great, but where have you heard this rumor? Certainly not from IKM.

And speaking of modeled instruments... I wonder why the folks who make the SWAM modeled instruments have never taken a shot at making percussive instruments and drum kits?

• @theconnactic said:
    iOS acoustic drums are in the land where you also can find iOS Melodyne alternatives…

Except for DrumPerfectPro, this one is a desktop level plugin and the only thing missing currently is the (crucial, I know) ability to be triggered by MIDI sequencer of our DAWs like any Desktop plug-in. Having to use the built in sequencer is extremely cumbersome and kind of trying unsuccessfully to reinvent the wheel, even though I appreciate the fact its development started in the era of self contained, sandboxed music apps, so there is that.

But sound wise, Drum Perfect is perfect as the name suggests, up there with the Desktop big brothers…

I could be misunderstanding you - but DrumPerfect Pro can be triggered by external sequencers. You don’t have to use the internal sequencer (though it does offer many advantages for creating realism that DAW sequencers generally don’t).

• I think I was able to trigger DPP drums via Midi. It responds to GM Midi if I recall. Will have to go and recheck again. But for some reason, the samples didn't sound as realistic to me compared to the Drum Session Kits. I heard in them some sort of noise but it's hard to remember. Although, I think it's still an outstanding realistic sounding drum app.

Really wish Audiolayer had multi out support.

@theconnactic said:

• @Tones4Christ said:
    I think I was able to trigger DPP drums via Midi. It responds to GM Midi if I recall. Will have to go and recheck again. But for some reason, the samples didn't sound as realistic to me compared to the Drum Session Kits. I heard in them some sort of noise but it's hard to remember. Although, I think it's still an outstanding realistic sounding drum app.

Really wish Audiolayer had multi out support.

@theconnactic said:

DPP can be triggered by MIDI from other apps for sure.

• edited August 2022

Coming to Patchstorage for FAC Drumkit. No ETA, but someone mentioned they sent Fred a bunch of acoustic drum samples and they will be used to make kits then uploaded on Patchstorage, I think…

• @alexwasashrimp said:

@timforsyth said:

It wasn’t straightforward. I remember having to write some python scripts to help organise the huge volume of samples.

Annoyingly, I cannot find a working link to drummica anymore, did sennheiser take it down? Dunno.

The library is In kontakt format and I found a link on a forum to a windows command line tool to extract the samples. I did this back in January and again, I cannot find a link to the tool I used, will search my pc upstairs later to see if I still have it. I’m sure the legality is dubious.

Sorry this isn’t helpful, but I will try and nudge my memory by looking in my pc later.

• 8 X Virsyn AudioLayer. Samples mostly from Drum Drops. A couple from The Beatshed and a freebie. Alway looking for more but I'm pretty happy with these. Some missing hits here and there because I just programmed in standard midi and took my chances.
    Demo of various acoustic kits running AudioLayer in Cubase

• Those samples sound awesome!

Do you have a link where to purchase these?

@Ailerom said:
    8 X Virsyn AudioLayer. Samples mostly from Drum Drops. A couple from The Beatshed and a freebie. Alway looking for more but I'm pretty happy with these. Some missing hits here and there because I just programmed in standard midi and took my chances.
    Demo of various acoustic kits running AudioLayer in Cubase

• New member to forum here, and fairly new to iOS.

For what it is worth, I have been a drummer for 30+ years and have been making electronic music for 20+ as well.

DPP is the most deep and realistic drum programming sequencer I have come across, on iOS without a doubt.

Try adjusting the crossfade and dynamics parameters on individual instruments within a drumkit. It can completely change the groove of a pattern or song.

Adjust the adsr, eq, and pitch of individual multi-velocity samples.

Adjust the tempo layer to create dragging or pushing affects within the tempo of a single pattern (DPP adjusts the timing so everything stays in sync with the next pattern). Im not aware of any anything else on iOS that can do this.

I didn’t care for the AUV3 player at first, but after using it for a few months, it is really implemented well. Simply switch to DPP when you want to change a pattern etc., save your pattern, save your drumkit, and save your song and it will be reflected in the host when you press play (in my experience using AUM).

The interface seems confusing at first but like anything, it can become second nature.

I do wish that I could delete factory samples to save space as I have a library of my own drum samples and only 64GB on my iPad. DPP is currently my largest app.

Drum Drops samples are also worth the price IMO and work great in DPP.

• @KLL said:
    New member to forum here, and fairly new to iOS.

For what it is worth, I have been a drummer for 30+ years and have been making electronic music for 20+ as well.

DPP is the most deep and realistic drum programming sequencer I have come across, on iOS without a doubt.

Try adjusting the crossfade and dynamics parameters on individual instruments within a drumkit. It can completely change the groove of a pattern or song.

Adjust the adsr, eq, and pitch of individual multi-velocity samples.

Adjust the tempo layer to create dragging or pushing affects within the tempo of a single pattern (DPP adjusts the timing so everything stays in sync with the next pattern). Im not aware of any anything else on iOS that can do this.

I didn’t care for the AUV3 player at first, but after using it for a few months, it is really implemented well. Simply switch to DPP when you want to change a pattern etc., save your pattern, save your drumkit, and save your song and it will be reflected in the host when you press play (in my experience using AUM).

The interface seems confusing at first but like anything, it can become second nature.

I do wish that I could delete factory samples to save space as I have a library of my own drum samples and only 64GB on my iPad. DPP is currently my largest app.

Drum Drops samples are also worth the price IMO and work great in DPP.

Nice post @KLL

Welcome 👋