Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FFS where are the acoustic drums?

Comments

• KLLKLL
    edited August 2022

@gusgranite

Thanks! Glad to be here. Learned alot over the last few months reading this forum. Hope to be able to contribute where I can!

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Those samples sound awesome!

Do you have a link where to purchase these?

@Ailerom said:
    8 X Virsyn AudioLayer. Samples mostly from Drum Drops. A couple from The Beatshed and a freebie. Alway looking for more but I'm pretty happy with these. Some missing hits here and there because I just programmed in standard midi and took my chances.
    Demo of various acoustic kits running AudioLayer in Cubase

https://www.drum-drops.com/
    https://thebeatshed.co.uk/
    http://www.bandshed.net/avldrumkits/ (free!!!)
    https://www.producerloops.com/Download-Loopmasters-Acoustic-Drum-Workshop.html

Any other decent kits out there in sfz or Logic Sampler format, don't be shy.

• @KLL said:
    DPP is the most deep and realistic drum programming sequencer I have come across, on iOS without a doubt.

I'll accept your experience on this but, still it is just an opinion, in my opinion.

I've been playing guitar in bands with a drummer for over 30 years, been programming drums to approximate an acoustic kit for over 30 years and listening to and obsessing over great drum sounds for nearly 50 years. I loathe the DPP interface and the sound it has produced compared to other drums for me is garbage. I wasn't aware you can import Drum Drops into it though so that could change the last issue I mentioned. What format?

Sampler with Drum Drops is the best I've found so far for iPad.

• @Ailerom said:

@KLL said:
    DPP is the most deep and realistic drum programming sequencer I have come across, on iOS without a doubt.

I'll accept your experience on this but, still it is just an opinion, in my opinion.

I've been playing guitar in bands with a drummer for over 30 years, been programming drums to approximate an acoustic kit for over 30 years and listening to and obsessing over great drum sounds for nearly 50 years. I loathe the DPP interface and the sound it has produced compared to other drums for me is garbage. I wasn't aware you can import Drum Drops into it though so that could change the last issue I mentioned. What format?

Sampler with Drum Drops is the best I've found so far for iPad.

Fair enough! DPP load any 24 bit wav file I believe.

• edited August 2022

DPP will play its samples on incoming MIDI notes, you can set up which notes for each instrument. You’ll only get velocity based playback with some round robin playing, none of the probability based or linked stuff and the round robin is limited to left hand, I believe. I couldn’t get both left and right allocated samples to play off one midi note. I suggested ways of getting around this to @Marinus, but he didn’t think it was needed.

• @rs2000 said:
    It seems like the "Acoustic Drums" pack does come with a few velocity layers and round robin samples indeed.

Thanks! It's awesome. Bought it.
    Can't figure out the way the kits are organized though, but I'll ask about it in another thread.

• @baconink said:
    I bought an amazing sounding metal kit from drum drops and added it into audio layer. Works and sounds great

Was it the Mapex Heavy Rock Kit?

• Thank you to everyone for inspiring me to give EZDrummer 3 a good, long look. I’m not hasty in my purchasing, but this piece of software is now on the short list.

• @Sawiton said:
    Thank you to everyone for inspiring me to give EZDrummer 3 a good, long look. I’m not hasty in my purchasing, but this piece of software is now on the short list.

I just downloaded the free version of Ik Multimedias Modo drum yesterday for desktop and even tho it only has one good sounding kit, there is tons of adjustments you can make on it. The app seems really nice and if you are fine with one customisable drum kit on desktop, the free version of Modo drum might be all you need.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/mododrum/

Sadly there is no Modo drum for ios, at least not yet. They did recently port it to m1 Macs, so from what i understand, it would not be too hard to port it on iOS from that. And since IK multimedia does focus on iOS, there is at least some hope for Modo drum also being ported to iOS some day.

• Went back and took a listen to DPP and itndidnsound really good to my ears! I'm not a drummer but the drums sounded very convincing. Really need to learn how to create a drumkit in AudioLayer. Any recommended tuts?

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Went back and took a listen to DPP and itndidnsound really good to my ears! I'm not a drummer but the drums sounded very convincing. Really need to learn how to create a drumkit in AudioLayer. Any recommended tuts?

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Went back and took a listen to DPP and itndidnsound really good to my ears! I'm not a drummer but the drums sounded very convincing. Really need to learn how to create a drumkit in AudioLayer. Any recommended tuts?

Possibly, buying a kit from Drum Drops and importing that. I think the Single Hits packs are under $20 and have 3 layers. That would give you a layout to study.

• For me the best drums on iOS Is GarageBand.
    I trig GarageBand drums from AUM and record it with an instance of Neon so I can transfer it easily back into AUM.
    The second choice is Audliolyer with Drumdrop samples but for some reason ( choke group and round robin not correctly interpreted inside Audiolayer ) it doesn’t sound as natural as GarageBand especially the HiHat and cymbals.
    And unfortunately Audiolayer is also lacking multiout.
    We are currently working on a sampler for iOS since a year now but don’t expect anything for a least another year.
    Any ideas are welcome.

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:
    DPP will play its samples on incoming MIDI notes, you can set up which notes for each instrument. You’ll only get velocity based playback with some round robin playing, none of the probability based or linked stuff and the round robin is limited to left hand, I believe. I couldn’t get both left and right allocated samples to play off one midi note. I suggested ways of getting around this to @Marinus, but he didn’t think it was needed.

In the current version, midi notes are assigned per sample group, so each of the available sample groups in an instrument (named Left, Right, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, Var1, Var2, Var3, Var4) will typically get a unique midi note. The midi note could be set to be the same for all sample groups, which will make them fire all at the same note event.

• @Tones4Christ You'd either give your imported files the correct names for automatic key mapping during import or use the keymap editor which is one of the best on iOS.
    Before doing the key mapping though, I would invest some thoughts into how you'd want variation to be done. AL has no round robin (unlike Drambo patches) so you'd have to use workarounds.

• @rs2000 said:
    @Tones4Christ You'd either give your imported files the correct names for automatic key mapping during import or use the keymap editor which is one of the best on iOS.
    Before doing the key mapping though, I would invest some thoughts into how you'd want variation to be done. AL has no round robin (unlike Drambo patches) so you'd have to use workarounds.

Why do you say AudioLayer has no round robin? It does.

• Oops, you're right @espiegel123. I must have mixed sth up... sorry.

• Thanks! Will look into this.

@rs2000 said:
    @Tones4Christ You'd either give your imported files the correct names for automatic key mapping during import or use the keymap editor which is one of the best on iOS.

• The thing that always confuses me is how to add choke groups for a drumkit. I really wish there were pre-made EXS formatted samples for Audiolayer that b would make it a lot easier. I used a same set for a fender Strat sample set and it loaded I perfectly.

@espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:

Why do you say AudioLayer has no round robin? It does.

• @alexwasashrimp said:

@baconink said:
    I bought an amazing sounding metal kit from drum drops and added it into audio layer. Works and sounds great

Was it the Mapex Heavy Rock Kit?

It was! I think they are great

• What iOS could really use is a MIDI instrument that produces realistic drummer MIDI.

• @michael_m said:
    What iOS could really use is a MIDI instrument that produces realistic drummer MIDI.

Have you never used iOS GarageBand? There are a LOT of options for drum parts.

• @NeuM said:

@michael_m said:
    What iOS could really use is a MIDI instrument that produces realistic drummer MIDI.

All you need is GB imo. It has some great sounds & loops.

• edited September 2022

GB is also what I turn to for drums. I export one or more tracks from the main mix into GB as audio lanes and then use the “follow” function in the drummer and chop and tweak sections until the drums sound like what I have in my head. This still takes a very long time to get right but gets much better results than if I tried to program them myself.

Edit: I should also say that I then grab the drum MIDI and use it with the drumdrops Mapex kit in AudioLayer.

• Digistix 1 & 2 does round robin or up to 5 velocity layers. Not quite AudioLayer but works quite well.

• @NeuM said:

@michael_m said:

Yes, but I can’t run the output through AUM or easily create MIDI files. That would be something I’d like to see in a stand-alone app.

• @michael_m said:

@NeuM said:

@michael_m said:

Yes, but I can’t run the output through AUM or easily create MIDI files. That would be something I’d like to see in a stand-alone app.

True, but you can edit the drums in GB, then render a track and use it in any other DAW you have in mind. I just prefer to use GB.

• @NeuM said:

@michael_m said:

@NeuM said:

@michael_m said:

True, but you can edit the drums in GB, then render a track and use it in any other DAW you have in mind. I just prefer to use GB.

Which is fine, but I still think an app that generates drum MIDI would be amazing.