Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS Apps That Should Be Released in 2022?

Comments

• Samplr v2 with:

• muliti-out
    • AUv3 (maybe the way idensity does it)
    • total midi control
    • zoom in/out
    • more tracks

Elektron Overbridge in AUv3 format.

• something like melodyne… or at least good sounding stable autotune with all the necessary standard settings…

• I’m hoping Hainbachs Gong Amp will come to iOS.

• @rattenjunge said:
    something like melodyne… or at least good sounding stable autotune with all the necessary standard settings…

I think we have a couple of autotune plugs already. What I hope for is an audio editor like Melodyne. I've been waiting years for one, but nobody seems to care to develop one. I'd pay top dollar for an app like that, like $99.

• @Stuntman_mike said:
    Apple Logic

...or GarageBand Pro... ;)

• Jam Synth 2 is almost done:

• @Samu said:

@anickt said:
    FLSM update coming. I have been having a lot of fun with current version. Smooth, stable and getting great sounds out of it. No AU yet but I don’t miss it TBH. Between samples, audio tracks and built-in synths I can get more sounds happening than I even need.

This will be nice to check out as it will also include a slicer and new UI.
    I'm not friends with the current UI and deleted the app years ago...

When the update drops I'll download it again and take it for a spin :sunglasses:

I quit on it some time ago. Recent updates have made it useful for most of my applications. I’d call it Caustic with audio tracks but MIDI and timeline editing is closer to NS2. The UI doesn’t bother me. If I can’t do something in FLSM I’ll just sync it up in AUM, do what I need to do and export it to a wav file and add to an FLSM audio track. Very curious to see where it’s going.

• @dreamless said:
    Jam Synth 2 is almost done:

Great!
    👌👏🏻

• edited January 2022

@NeuM said:

@Stuntman_mike said:
    Apple Logic

Would likely still be a frustratingly limited upsell app.

• @KRPT said:
    NanoStudio 3: The Audio Tracks Extended Director’s Cut

I wish. On the positive side, Michael and the Wotja team are showing that a recurring payment system can be introduced so sustainability may perhaps be achieved for really good apps, of which NS is one. I wonder what Matt is planning, if anything.

• @Montreal_Music said:

@Stuntman_mike said:
    Drambo update pending, Pianoteq pending…

Pianoteq will be heavy on CPU but I will buy it anyways.

Many people, including me, run Pianoteq on a Raspberry Pi, which has a small fraction of the CPU power of any current iPad.

• @AudioGus said:

@NeuM said:

@Stuntman_mike said:
    Apple Logic

Haha. I come from a background of decades of using a 4-track Portastudio and it's much clunkier and less reliable predecessor. GarageBand is a dream come true in comparison.

• When it comes to wishful thinking, I wish Korg would released iTriton and make it Gadget-compatible. Would be a beast on iOS.

• Slightly off topic: it would be interesting if @MoogMusicInc created something like Korg Gadget that included classic modules like sequencers and synths as well as in-app purchases…. Or on the flip side released some more recreations like MemoryMoog, Taurus, MoogerFoogers, Moog Voyager (which the free Viking Synth does well)… I love Moog, can’t wait for the next release!

• @Stuntman_mike said:
    Slightly off topic: it would be interesting if @MoogMusicInc created something like Korg Gadget that included classic modules like sequencers and synths as well as in-app purchases…. Or on the flip side released some more recreations like MemoryMoog, Taurus, MoogerFoogers, Moog Voyager (which the free Viking Synth does well)… I love Moog, can’t wait for the next release!

Animoog Z has been keeping me plenty busy in the meantime when I just want something musical to play with.

• edited January 2022

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Stuntman_mike said:
    Slightly off topic: it would be interesting if @MoogMusicInc created something like Korg Gadget that included classic modules like sequencers and synths as well as in-app purchases…. Or on the flip side released some more recreations like MemoryMoog, Taurus, MoogerFoogers, Moog Voyager (which the free Viking Synth does well)… I love Moog, can’t wait for the next release!

Animoog Z has been keeping me plenty busy in the meantime when I just want something musical to play with.

Animoog Z is so phenomenal! Lately I’ve been loving playing chords with Model 15 and Model D is my bass machine. All the Moog stuff is “desert island” status.

• @Stuntman_mike said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Stuntman_mike said:

Animoog Z is so phenomenal! Lately I’ve been loving playing chords with Model 15 and Model D is my bass machine. All the Moog stuff is “desert island” status.

Exactly! :) It's absolutely god tier.

• @Stuntman_mike said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    Scaler 3 for iOS.

Looks like we’re close…

Interesting: I emailed them last year and they said “no go”

• edited January 2022

@NeuM said:

@AudioGus said:

@NeuM said:

@Stuntman_mike said:
    Apple Logic

Haha. I come from a background of decades of using a 4-track Portastudio and it's much clunkier and less reliable predecessor. GarageBand is a dream come true in comparison.

How primitive... At least I started programming beeps in BASIC on a Texas Instruments TI99/4A.

• edited January 2022

@AudioGus said:

@NeuM said:

@AudioGus said:

@NeuM said:

@Stuntman_mike said:
    Apple Logic

How primitive... At least I started programming beeps in BASIC on a Texas Instruments TI99/4A.

You're not going to believe this one... I used to go to the local college when I was in junior high school with my friend and we'd run punch card stacks through their room-sized IBM mainframe (my friend had a father who was a professor at the college). Fun times. The college kids had no idea what to think.

And a sibling of mine had a TRS-80 Model 1 we used to mess around on. "Ancient tech."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS-80#modeliii

• @slicetwo said:
    Samplr v2 with:

• muliti-out
    • total midi control
    • zoom in/out
    • more tracks

+1 for this Samplr wish list! Multi-out would be amazing.
    Also +1 for Wires
    Oh and a Samplwiz 2 update that lets you modulate more things than just 2 per mod source. And increased grain density

• edited January 2022

A wish, not a rumour. But such a long, long standing and oft-repeated wish…

…Do it as integral upgrade, in-app IAP, or third party AUV3, any which way, and pretty much at any price, I’d pay it - but: give me some flexible, tightly integrated way to automate AUMs faders dials and buttons. Just that.

Been asking for it forever, it would truly be a GAME CHANGER!!! (Yes,I know about the 4Pockets thing, I’ve got it, but it is too rigid and adds complexity, I want something that can be switched in and out as easily and organically as any other channel element in AUM.)

…but: @j_liljedahl has made it very clear to me on several occasions that he has no appetite for doing this.

Which leaves third party devs. Not being at all technical, I’m probably missing something, but it seems to me since you can already adjust faders dials and buttons via CC in AUM in semi automated fashion internally using MIDILFOs or the Rozeta Suite as it stands, all you really need to do is create a kind of dedicated MIDI cc recorder to run inside AUM as a MIDI node, to capture and replay such movements, whether generated by such apps, or real time live manipulation of the AUM controls. (Do fader shifts, for example output changing midi cc values as you manipulate them? I don’t know. They’d need to, for this to work, obvs…)

Just a straight real time recorder would be a great start, (maybe that Animoog freebie?), but much better would be something dedicated to handling AUMs elements, which could let you mix and match recording live manipulation of faders etc and after the fact editing of those values on some kind of timeline or tracker style list, (the Cubasis per-channel automation ‘graph’ seems like one way to do it), so you could iteratively go back in to a session mix and tweak it until it is just right. If you wanted to get fancy, you could also do snapshots, and fades between them, on a per channel or whole mix basis.

This would let AUM (especially hosting Loopy Pro and Drambo) to seamlessly transition to basically a full on DAW without compromising the superbly flexible and simple interface we all know and love.

If only, if only…

• @slicetwo said:
    Samplr v2 with:

• muliti-out
    • total midi control
    • zoom in/out
    • more tracks

Oh yes! 🙌
    Also iDensity Auv3 with 6 play heads like on standalone and include timing for looping.

• @AudioGus said:

@NeuM said:

@Stuntman_mike said:
    Apple Logic

Or at least Apple GB dev on this forum getting a wishlist

• @Svetlovska said:

…Do it as integral upgrade, in-app IAP, or third party AUV3, any which way, and pretty much at any price, I’d pay it - but: give me some flexible, tightly integrated way to automate AUMs faders dials and buttons. Just that.

Been asking for it forever, it would truly be a GAME CHANGER!!! (Yes,I know about the 4Pockets thing, I’ve got it, but it is too rigid and adds complexity, I want something that can be switched in and out as easily and organically as any other channel element in AUM.)

…but: @j_liljedahl has made it very clear to me on several occasions that he has no appetite for doing this.

That's not true. Why are you saying that? I have big plans for future add-ons to AUM, where this is one of them.

• @Hainbach gong and wires 😎

• @mlau said:
    @Hainbach gong and wires 😎

Yeah, wires deffo!

• edited January 2022

****> @j_liljedahl said:

@Svetlovska said:

That's not true. Why are you saying that? I have big plans for future add-ons to AUM, where this is one of them.

Hi Jonatan. Happy (very happy!) to be corrected if you now feel differently, and I have always been a major fan of your work, so no disrespect or slight was intended, and if I gave offence, I apologise.

But if I recall correctly, on at least two distinct occasions over the last couple of years I corresponded with you directly on your website on this issue, and on each occasion you told me that the idea did not currently interest you, because you did not want to turn AUM into a DAW, which is what you felt adding such functionality would inevitably entail. I believe the phrase ‘feature bloat’ was used.

If it assists explaining why I therefore understood you not to be interested in the idea of editable fader/control automation, here’s what you said on this forum when I raised it in Feb 2020:

@j_liljedahl said:

@SpartanClownTide said:
    If you start adding DAW like functionality might as well go the whole way. AUM ain't that, for me it's about live sessions. Laying out a finished product is a very different approach.

Exactly. If I add AU parameter automation recording, users will want a timeline where they can see the recorded automations, and users will want to edit it. And if they have a timeline with automations, why not also include MIDI? So that means adding a good piano roll editor. But some wants clip style launching as well. And if they have all that, why not also allow arranging audio clips on the timeline? And so on.. and then there's a full DAW. (my emphasis)

It's often better to avoid half-baked features, and keep the original intention focussed.

If the devs heart is in it then I'm sure an AUM inspired DAW as a separate entity would do very well. Personally I'd rather record stems and mix them in Reaper, not that I ever do but that's another story.

I'd love to make an AUM based DAW, either as an IAP in AUM or as a separate app that syncs and integrates fully with AUM, or as a whole new AUMDAW app. But It's an enormous job, and currently I have enough to do with maintaining AUM, AudioShare, SECTOR, working for Gestrument, making AUv3 versions of my AUFX apps (soon!), etc. But you never know, maybe some day in the future I'll find myself having a bunch of time and energy left over :)

In the short term, I think it's more probable that I'd make an AUv3 clip launcher and/or audio timeline arranger that has direct access to AudioShare/AUM recordings. Similar could be done for MIDI (full piano roll editor). The only thing really that can't be done easily as a separate plugin or app is AU parameter automation. (my emphasis)

PS. AUM already has a "timeline", and you can scroll it by dragging left/right on the global transport time label. FilePlayers will follow, so if you have a long track being played by a FilePlayer you can jump to any part of that track. Same goes for AUv3 plugins and IAA apps following host sync, they can/should locate and follow AUMs timeline.

Here’s the link:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/37366/aum-plus-discussion/p2

I did also correspond with you directly via your website contact on a couple of other occasions, where you basically told me the same thing. I have checked my emails and it seems they have succumbed to one of my periodic purges otherwise I would have reproduced the exchanges here.

As I say, if you now feel differently about this, - specifically, fader/button/dial automation, not audio or even musical midi - I would be frankly ecstatic to hear so, as AUM is the beginning and end of all my musical experimentation on IPad, and just about the only thing these days which takes me out of the environment is the occasional necessity of creating an editable mix in Ableton.

Edit: I did find one other previous reference to this in a thread here from 2019. You participated in the thread after I posted the same idea , but did not comment directly within the thread on the discussion we had had. (We did instead go back and forth in the thread on the fact that I had your name wrong!) Relevant section copied here for reference:

@Svetlovska said:
    @[Deleted User] : yup, I discussed it with @Kymátika directly, and he is totally adamant that he is not going to do it, as he feels it amounts to feature bloat. A great shame, in my opinion, because AUM is what has made iOS music work for me, I live in there, and it seems that this would be a highly specific and worthwhile extension of the AUM workflow, but, hey, he’s the boss I guess :(

Yeah, he mentions AU’s performing that function but unfortunately they never work correctly. It would make AUM a serious app that many more musicians would consider using an ipad for.”

And here’s that link:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/36159/recording-aum-faders-for-automation#latest.

So that’s at least two occasions I have raised the issue, with the results shown. That is why I said that. Hope that assists, and I wish you well with any future developments of AUM you are minded to make (keeping my fingers crossed for automation again! :) ) AUM is and will remain my one totally essential IOS music app.

Addendum: I wonder if the open source MIDI Tape Recorder:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/48441/midi-tape-recorder-released-sample-accurate-mpe-free-and-open-source

might be able to do some of the behind the scenes heavy lifting in coding an editable timeline just for the cc’s running the faders buttons etc? MIDILFOs already works with AUM to actually switch things on and off, move faders etc. If only this functionality, and live input from the faders etc could be recorded to ‘MIDI Tape’ we’d be halfway there, and I’d be happy to dump out the captured midi to something like Atom for editing. Bit of a kludge, but it just might work…

• My current wishlist:

1. Drum machine from @ka010
    2. Pure Acid esque groovebox from @brambos with Ruismaker Noir and Mononoke influence
    3. Pure Acid with 808 instead of 909 and sub bass instead of acid bass from @jimpavloff
    4. Pure Acid esque groovebox with chiptune drums and synth

Can you tell that Pure Acid is my favorite groovebox?

I would also love to see a @jakoB_haQ and @brambos collab.

• @craftycurate said:
    Poppatron 1.0 ... it's a bot that automatically scours the web for iOS app bargains and posts them in the sales thread :)

Lol.