Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SP-404 MK II. Leak, relevance, GAS?

Comments

• Many thanks @Proppa Glad you enjoyed it.

I built another track on some of the elements in the previous track...this 404 is just mind altering for me...

• Howdy folks. I am starting to get more of a handle on the 404 and am loving it. I had a good LoopyPro session last night, and decided to bring my loops into the SP to perform and play a bit and really love the feel and playability of the instrument. I've had the SP for a couple weeks now...and my next phase of learning is FX routing and Pattern creation, but in the meantime, here's a first post with the 404 in the shot:

note: I've also made the Samples available via the description in the Youtube description if you want to grab them. I didn't bother naming them so you'll have to sort them however you do on your end.

a hint though on the file naming:
    Orange=Pads
    Green+Yello=Melodics and Leads
    Blue=Drums
    Magenta=Percussion
    Purple=Voice

Please let me know if you'd like me to continue saving samples when I post vids.
    Cheers!

• Truly great stuff @echoopera and it seems like you’ve found a way to keep things ultra-fresh by way of the 404 playback. Taking the “behind the glass” material from iOS and playing it from the tactile SP = winning process. Loving it.

• Thanks and i agree with you. I feel that since the connection between the iPad and the SP is so immediate and no nonsense, it’s going to be a great physical instrument to create on.

• edited February 2022

Keeping the dream alive as they say with this wonderful instrument. Here’s another exploration on device, recorded Live to AudioShare over USB-C:

• These jams continue to be one of the best selling points I've heard re: the SP MK2 x iPad combo.

• You are far too kind. Thanks for the words of encouragement 🙏🏼💕

• Took yesterdays track and brought it into a proper Pattern Mode workflow...and well...really enjoying this process. I also cleaned up the audio a bit and boosted and verbed and mucked up things the way I like :)

Thanks in advance for giving it a viewing:

• @echoopera said:
    Took yesterdays track and brought it into a proper Pattern Mode workflow...and well...really enjoying this process. I also cleaned up the audio a bit and boosted and verbed and mucked up things the way I like :)

Thanks in advance for giving it a viewing:

This is great!!

• Mine finally arrived over the weekend and it’s the exact partner to an iOS setup that I was looking for. The Skip Back recording feature is nuts. I keep the iPad plugged in, noodle around in an app, and as soon as I go “that sounded cool”, I hit “Mark” and it’s recorded in the SP and ready to chop. I’m in love 😭

• edited March 2022

@CapnWillie Yep. I sometimes use the pads to play out synth sounds into LoopyPro when I’m just using the SP and the iPad together. I either use the 16 pads or enter Chromatic Mode on a pad and play to the desired octaves in the Chromatic Mode.

That being said, I’ve only used it this way when playing a sequence to be recorded into the SP or LoopyPro (which i use as my audition and storage rack for the Samples i create).

I’m pretty comfortable now with the SP workflow , and I’m planning some SP+iPad videos shortly, so I’ll include this use case as one of them.

• edited March 2022

@SicksentZ said:
    Mine finally arrived over the weekend and it’s the exact partner to an iOS setup that I was looking for. The Skip Back recording feature is nuts. I keep the iPad plugged in, noodle around in an app, and as soon as I go “that sounded cool”, I hit “Mark” and it’s recorded in the SP and ready to chop. I’m in love 😭

Yeah. It’s pretty sweet. I just finally got over the hump of learning its workflow. I know maybe 40% of everything i should know…but it’s enough to do what i want musically.

Congrats on the delivery of your SP👊🏼™️💕

• Thanks @echoopera!

Really like that you can use chromatic mode to send midi to iOS. Makes it a lot easier to resample from apps

• @echoopera said:
    @CapnWillie Yep. I sometimes use the pads to play out synth sounds into LoopyPro when I’m just using the SP and the iPad together. I either use the 16 pads or enter Chromatic Mode on a pad and play to the desired octaves in the Chromatic Mode.

That being said, I’ve only used it this way when playing a sequence to be recorded into the SP or LoopyPro (which i use as my audition and storage rack for the Samples i create).

I’m pretty comfortable now with the SP workflow , and I’m planning some SP+iPad videos shortly, so I’ll include this use case as one of them.

+1 for the vids as I’m waiting for mine to arrive and this is just what I want to do🥳

• One bug I’ve noticed that potential buyers may want to consider:

When on battery power, if I plug in my phone I get a pop up every minute or so that says “switching to battery”. I have to click Ok to proceed.

My guess is that the SP tries to pull power from the phone, fails, so reverts back to battery. I just wish it’d only check once. Seems fixable via firmware, but def wanted to call it out in case you have plans on sampling via iOS while on battery power.

• Worth filing a bug report with Roland for that. They've been pretty good about fixing bugs and improving gear lately, maybe that could be addressed in a firmware update.

• @Tarekith said:
    Worth filing a bug report with Roland for that. They've been pretty good about fixing bugs and improving gear lately, maybe that could be addressed in a firmware update.

Yup agreed. I filed one already

• @CapnWillie @SicksentZ @cuberoo_ Please let me know what you think:

• edited March 2022

@CapnWillie said:

@echoopera said:
    @CapnWillie @SicksentZ @cuberoo_ Please let me know what you think:

I think you have a nice voice for presenting reminiscent of a childhood Sunday school teacher I had.

I think while happy for you, I’m jealous that I haven’t scored an SP yet.

I think I need one ASAP.

Hahah. Thanks for the feedback. I lucked out on mine one me night at 2am by hitting the Roland Amazon store. Let’s just say that my wife wasn’t happy when i jumped out of bed to find my Credit Card 🤪

She wasn’t upset cause i woke her up to get the SP…she was upset that i woke her up for no reason since Amazon has my credit card on file. 🤪

• @echoopera said:

Thanks, this is great. Can you monitor an external source, while playing sounds out of the SP over the USB audio? E.g. back into LP, which is something I can't currently do with the op-1, very annoying.

• @echoopera said:

Dope stuff! I’m enjoying using the iPad as a sound rack. I play iOS apps with chromatic mode while the pattern is playing, then resample the iOS melody with the Skip Back feature

• @SicksentZ said:

@echoopera said:

Dope stuff! I’m enjoying using the iPad as a sound rack. I play iOS apps with chromatic mode while the pattern is playing, then resample the iOS melody with the Skip Back feature

Yeah! The SP + iPad is where it’s at👊🏼™️

• Thanks, this is great. Can you monitor an external source, while playing sounds out of the SP over the USB audio? E.g. back into LP, which is something I can't currently do with the op-1, very annoying.

Absolutely, this is how I work. I audition new samples over usb while playing my pattern

• edited March 2022

Working on the video for this one, but wanted to share the track ahead of that:

Really enjoying the SP+iPad workflow.

• @echoopera said:

Like this a lot. Dusty, gritty, spacey.

• @iansainsbury said:

@echoopera said:

Like this a lot. Dusty, gritty, spacey.

Thanks a ton. Appreciate the feedback and really glad you enjoyed the track. 👊🏼™️

• Loving the layers @echoopera

• @Proppa said:
    Loving the layers @echoopera

Many thanks 👊🏼™️

• edited June 2022

🔥🔥🔥

Ahhh Got released early. Supposed to drop tomorrow. Chromatic recording, step sequencer, etc.

• Looking forward to trying out the step sequencer and other new goodies, hopefully they will continue to update the Os with new things on the regular.
    *fingers crossed for some sort of piano roll !