Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SP-404 MK II. Leak, relevance, GAS?

Comments

• @Korakios said:
    I hope Roland will push a firmware update to save the fx routing
    other than that it looks dope

That was the only thing negative I saw too, seems like such a weird decision. Then again….. Roland!

• @Tarekith said:

@Korakios said:

That was the only thing negative I saw too, seems like such a weird decision. Then again….. Roland!

From what I understood from their official video, they may even intend on release more effects later. So maybe they patch it with fx routing too.
    But who knows.... Roland! :tongue:

• @senhorlampada said:

@Tarekith said:

@Korakios said:

From what I understood from their official video, they may even intend on release more effects later. So maybe they patch it with fx routing too.
    But who knows.... Roland! :tongue:

Let’s hope for some ZenCore surprises down the road 🥰

• edited October 2021

@oldschoolwillie said:

@echoopera said:

@oldschoolwillie said:
    This is Deadly combo IPad plus SP 404 MK 2
    Maybe an interface between the two to bring audio back into the IPad...Hmm
    just pondering definitely getting one trading my SP 404SX

I assume if audio goes in to the MK2 over USB, it will go back out over USB and back in to the iPad. 😳🤔💕💕

I couldn’t resist and Pre-Ordered it 🥰

This is true but maybe I want the advantage of running my audio through the circuitry and those outputs...

Yep. Totally get it. Just good to have the single cable option with I/O when you don't want to go for a full set up.

I see the workflow as: Record to SP>send to iPad to apply effects>record to SP and perform and even send back to iPad to manipulate even more :) That's magical with one cable IMHO. Just knowing that I can record it all back on the iPad is wonderful.

• Computer/mobile device will see it as a class-compliant 2-Input, 4-Output USB audio+MIDI interface. (MIDI is limited btw - check the MIDI implementation chart in the online reference manual that was uploaded yesterday).

• Can I ask what this can do that a good iPad and software can't?

• @cyberheater said:
    Can I ask what this can do that a good iPad and software can't?

Other than having a physical form factor, nothing. Hardware is purely a workflow thing for the most part as nothing will beat a computer in terms of raw power.

• edited October 2021

@cyberheater said:

I gather you don't have any hardware? Sonically, the new SP404 may do nothing that Koala can't already do. But most people find that the tactile sensation of a well-designed piece of gear is really inspiring. The workflow of the Digitakt is kind of magical, and same with the Teenage Engineering OPZ. I love them and find them both inspiring and creative. My problem is that I can't get them to coexist happily with the iPad, which has become the core of my setup, thanks to AUM and Atom2. So I tend to have OPZ and Digitakt tracks that I love, but they live on little islands and I haven't been diligent enough to lower the drawbridges....

That said, this thing does look pretty nice and at $500, it's making me a little nervous.

• With all the new functionality, is anyone worried that all the new shift-functions and key-combos might kill the classically-quick SP workflow? May as well get an MPC One and battery pack?

Or did anyone think that the 'Operation Complete' notification took too long to disappear off the OLED screen? Or the progress bar takes too long? Underpowered or impatient?

Anyway, I'm awfully critical, but it jumped to the top of my gear wishlist. Maybe if they add a step sequencer with at least 48 ppqn and easy-Elektron-style microtiming. Roland's been good lately with the MC-707/101 updates.

• This as an audio interface would be amazing.

• @cyberheater said:

hardware

• If you take your finger off a knob the value doesn’t still change a little bit in the process.

• edited October 2021

It looks like a very very fun instrument to play.

As a musician one can never have too many instruments 😉

Just not sure where it will go 🤔

• @echoopera said:

You definitely need some more drum machines… 😉

• Preordered one 😭 I’m excited to use the iPad as a sound/sample source. I hope Roland does what Korg should’ve and implements a decent iOS app for file management.

• ANyone know if this can sample an incoming audio stream whilst playing and recording existing pads on top? Sp303 did this, but it disappeared on the 404. Can't spot it in the manual

• @echoopera said:

My girlfriend will probably move in with me next year... We are trying to see what we sell or donate (mine and hers) to make up some space to fit us both here. She asked me if I have any more gear on my parent's house. I just mentioned there may be 2 or 3. That gives me a buffer to buy new gear for some years :lol: :tongue:

• @senhorlampada said:

@echoopera said:

My girlfriend will probably move in with me next year... We are trying to see what we sell or donate (mine and hers) to make up some space to fit us both here. She asked me if I have any more gear on my parent's house. I just mentioned there may be 2 or 3. That gives me a buffer to buy new gear for some years :lol: :tongue:

lol

• @senhorlampada said:

@echoopera said:

Hahahaha! Well played!😂

• does it work as an iPad audio interface? if it does, I think I will get it, as a portable recording studio/interface/fx unit, and just for fun.

• I ordered one. I have the 202, 303 & a 404-A. Probably gonna sell of the 404-A…or give it to my son.

• edited October 2021

I like this performance. I think it's mostly finger drumming.

• Roland should add the Octaver and Tumbling FX (transient delay) of the 606 :)

• @GovernorSilver said:

@GovernorSilver said:

Can't you record internally? Or do you need an external recorder like this 🤔

• @SheffieldBleep said:
    ANyone know if this can sample an incoming audio stream whilst playing and recording existing pads on top? Sp303 did this, but it disappeared on the 404. Can't spot it in the manual

Good question. Anyone know?
    It can (finally, again) resample sequencer playback, plus has the 25-second Skip Back Sampling (retrospective recording) feature...

• edited October 2021

@cokomairena said:

@GovernorSilver said:

I don't know.

I just like the performance video.

• edited October 2021

@GovernorSilver said:

@cokomairena said:

@GovernorSilver said:

I don't know.

I just like the performance video.

I believe an external recorder is needed. It's the reason I always come back to preferring AUM and an iPad. Outside of Polyend Tracker or MPCs, most hardware doesn't self record.

• @ocelot said:

@SheffieldBleep said:
    ANyone know if this can sample an incoming audio stream whilst playing and recording existing pads on top? Sp303 did this, but it disappeared on the 404. Can't spot it in the manual

Good question. Anyone know?
    It can (finally, again) resample sequencer playback, plus has the 25-second Skip Back Sampling (retrospective recording) feature...

Looks like blending internal and external sources is possible while sampling. 15:58 in the video.