Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SP-404 MK II. Leak, relevance, GAS?

Comments

• This device gets more and more interesting as i watch all of these videos. November can’t get here soon enough 🤨

• @ocelot said:

@ocelot said:

@SheffieldBleep said:
    ANyone know if this can sample an incoming audio stream whilst playing and recording existing pads on top? Sp303 did this, but it disappeared on the 404. Can't spot it in the manual

Good question. Anyone know?
    It can (finally, again) resample sequencer playback, plus has the 25-second Skip Back Sampling (retrospective recording) feature...

Looks like blending internal and external sources is possible while sampling. 15:58 in the video.

Thumbs up

• Really great comparison video:

• This has really cemented it for me. I have to start saving my pennies!

• I wonder how it performs as a 2-In, 4-Out class-compliant USB audio+MIDI interface (48kHz) with an iPad. Has guitar, mic, and line-level inputs. 6x AA batteries...

Has anyone found a video demoing this? Thanks.

• edited January 2022

Made a discord for the SP404-mk2.

https://discord.gg/FmzCxrVPUT

• Looks like Amazon US Roland store has some in stock with a 2 week delivery window:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09J1TMSYV?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Just ordered one and it should arrive Feb10-11th 🥺 🤞🏽

• Hey ! Here in France, bax-shop has the sp404mkii for 389€. There is quite some time waiting (aaprox. 12 weeks) but that’s a very good price given the recent issue of this new version.

• @CapnWillie said:
    I’ll be astonished if anyone gets their hands on one of these before Fall of this year.

I'm not holding my breath, thomann is still predicting 13-17 weeks. That's like what... May? And it's had that 13-17 weeks prediction since the beginning fo December or whenever it went on sale.

• Thank god for Koala

• edited February 2022

Look what arrived a week early and 3 months late:

• Grabbed the last model at a shop in Tokyo awhile back. Works quite well and using it with the ipad is pretty solid. Plus, I can sample in audio, make something or process it, and send it back into my daw all in the same session with only 2 cables.

• Had mine a few weeks now! Love using it with the iPad…they’re a great combo!

• @echoopera said:
    Look what arrived a week early and 3 months late:

@echoopera Looking forward to seeing what you produce with it.

• Already got one in December but I sent it back.
    I had all the predecessors and it felt like an automatism to order the MK2, just to try it out :D

It does everything it promises. But I totally underestimated that my workflow drastically changed over the years.
    Still, everyone who's into samplers and especially desktop ones will love this thing.

One thing that bothered me though. Due to the fancy screen it somehow lost a bit of the predecessors' immediacy. I remember chopping lightning fast on these ( at least on the 404SX ) and it's still possible but it always feels as if the display is a second behind. Found that a bit annoying, but nothing serious. Especially not for beginners.

This guy here is one of the best with SPs imho:

• So this might never get old:

Hopefully we’ll see an iOS app for the 404 or at least ability to mount it as a disk to transfer files.

But for now having the ability to capture clean loops and one shots in LoopyPro and record over USB-C is really nice.

• @echoopera said:
    So this might never get old:

Hopefully we’ll see an iOS app for the 404 or at least ability to mount it as a disk to transfer files.

But for now having the ability to capture clean loops and one shots in LoopyPro and record over USB-C is really nice.

Nice ! How is your workflow with mk2 and loopy ? I use my mk2 with koala and love the combo !

• Right now I’m using LoopyPro to sample all sorts of things. It serves as a great repository for my samples and gives me flexibility to move them around to Drambo, SP, and other destinations.

• I keep seeing this topic and wondering why someone posted about a gas leak…

• @CapnWillie i will definitely let ya know soon 😉

• So things are coming along nicely after a week of exploring and learning. This is gonna be the setup for a few months I think:

• @echoopera said:
    So things are coming along nicely after a week of exploring and learning. This is gonna be the setup for a few months I think:

Tidy!

• edited February 2022

After a week of exploration and understanding the workflow of this delightful little instrument, here is my first track using what I've learned to date...which is not very much :stuck_out_tongue: But then again, Music isn't about what you know, it's about what you feel...and I am feeling good using the 404 :smile:
    Thanks in advance for giving it a listen everyone:

process note: it’s a definitely a different way of composing…i feel like a kid with a magic bucket going around collecting cool things I see, and when I reach back into the bucket to pull them out, the objects transform into magical things I hadn't expected...metaphorically of course...

Have a great weekend.

• Can you explain a little more what makes it a different way of composing? Every time I get serious about getting the 404 I look at my 707 and think "well you can do all that and more probably". But I'm still curious as it seems like the 404 has a really simple and specific workflow you have to use to understand/appreciate.

• edited February 2022

@Tarekith said:
    Can you explain a little more what makes it a different way of composing? Every time I get serious about getting the 404 I look at my 707 and think "well you can do all that and more probably". But I'm still curious as it seems like the 404 has a really simple and specific workflow you have to use to understand/appreciate.

For me it’s a few things:
    . The form factor is nice to the touch and situates nicely on my desk.
    . It plays very nicely with my iPad via a single USB-C cable—which in turn allows me to capture sounds from anywhere i like.
    . The playability of the pads is very nice to the touch and feel of the music coming out of it.
    . It feels very Zen to play and manipulate and explore. It feels like an instrument that wants you to explore it and discover what it can do.
    . The fx are pretty nice to the ear.
    . The resample workflow is very nice.
    . The 25 Second historical recording insures i never miss anything i thought sounded good.
    . Slowing down with it feels good and satisfying.
    . I wish it had a proper sequencer but I’ll flex some different muscles to get what i want to hear.
    . It’s a lot more free form when it comes to playing since nothing is really on a grid until you start creating Patterns—which is totally new for me having been brought up on sequencers.
    . The workflow inspires me and i feel like serendipity is just inches away because of this freedom.
    . My ear is being refined because i am listening even more closely to what i am producing—or maybe I’m just getting more comfortable with sampling.
    . And lastly…I’ve always wanted an SP 404 and this one has not disappointed yet.

Just some initial thoughts after a week of owning. Hope that helps clarify some intangibles.

• Nice little promo for Guitar Center from Teebs:

• edited February 2022

Keeping at it with some tasty loops from all over the place...and by all over the place I mean...from the iPad, played live and sampled from BlocsWave....

I am trying to learn the process of building up atmosphere and movement using the SP 404 for right now. I have an idea of how I want to ultimately use it, but I have to go through certain learning steps to become more familiar with it…so, pardon the Dust as I learn to evolve with this wonderful instrument.

Let me know if you have any questions about process and such. I know this type of music is on the other end of the spectrum for the 404…but it’s how I roll up my sessions and exhale.

• edited February 2022

Here's a little jam derived from sampling Factory and Playbeat 3 on my iPad. I hope to record a few 'Process' videos now that I'm getting a little more comfortable with this gem.

I haven't gotten over the Pattern creation hump yet, so I'm just playing the 404 live and recording my button mashing to AudioShare on the iPad. Everything will come together soon I am sure when it comes to proper Pattern making...just not there yet. FWIW, I just love the feeling of playing the 404 live, bringing up Samples and loops when I feel they should appear...it's allowing me to be even closer to the stuff I make which is eye opening and wonderful. This 404 has that magick juice I crave...

Anyhoo...here's todays dish from the oven:

As always, thanks for listening :)

• @echoopera this is Really good and very “alive” too!