Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OtherDesertCities by Audio Damage, Inc. - Released

Comments

• Can save ODC presets in AUM, and the sound parameters are correctly saved\recalled when saving\loading the AUM preset, but the saved name is not recalled when loading the preset.

• I am loving this thing.

• @oat_phipps said:
    It sounds great but after some more time I still can’t help but feel the same way…it feels tacked on, like an overlay or transparency laid over the original signal. It doesn’t have that naturally “blended” feel to it.

I know what you mean. Not so much with ODC but plenty of reverbs like that. That said, I'd love a little matched saturation on the input signal.

• What is this ‘natural’ of which you speak? ;)

• @Svetlovska said:
    What is this ‘natural’ of which you speak? ;)

It may be a personal thing but to me it is the input can be made to blend with the effect so they sound like they are in a similar space.

• @Ailerom said:

@Svetlovska said:
    What is this ‘natural’ of which you speak? ;)

It may be a personal thing but to me it is the input can be made to blend with the effect so they sound like they are in a similar space.

Yeah, as much as I like this I can definitely relate to Oat's comment about a lack of a blended sound and the effect feeling a bit tacked on.

• With electric guitar it sounds so good!

• @klattgalvin said:
    With electric guitar it sounds so good!

On my way!

• @Samu said:
    Not meaning to sound like the grumpy one but many of the AD AUv3's have issues with saving presets...

Quanta and Continua are a major pain in the ass for this. The number of times I’ve had to delete and reinstall both apps when loading new preset packs…

• It is Sunday
    and I am down to pray

ready to spend
    on this new delay

(please God etc)

• I’m thinking midnight release / yep, my mind is made up. Make it so

• Is AUV3 version planned?

• edited September 2021

@NimboStratus said:
    Is AUV3 version planned?

Yes, that's the one most of us are waiting for :sunglasses:

• Nice, gotta love Chris Randall’s vernacular.

• I agree with the sentiment, “Get it right the first time.”

• @krassmann said:

@oldschoolwillie said:
    I must buy ....I must buy.....I must buy.........

I'm really not such an app collector. I have several delays but somehow I do not feel very connected to them. Oftentimes feeling uninspired when using their interface. My favorite so far is Bleass Delay. But this app instantly rings a bell with me and delay is one of the most important effect - it's worth to check it out. I have all Audiomodern apps and I use them in virtually all of my tracks. I think there is no other dev where I have all of their apps. I really love how they spark creativity and I also love their UIs.

Of course sometimes I had been excited but the app did not fulfill my expectations. I had this with Sugar Bytes Drum Computer. I was sure it will be the final solution for my drum machine needs but it wasn't. But I did not give up and with FAC Drumkit I feel very good now.

IK I own almost ALL of their app except this new on and one other
    They are a top notch app builder that's why I support them

• @jonmoore said:

@oat_phipps said:
    It sounds great but after some more time I still can’t help but feel the same way…it feels tacked on, like an overlay or transparency laid over the original signal. It doesn’t have that naturally “blended” feel to it.

At least with Desert Shores (the 1st algorithm) the saturation stage helps glue things. It’s a pity that AudioDamage didn’t include a pre-delay section like Kajita and a saturation stage that only gets added at regeneration (also like Kajita). It’s those elements in in Kajita that helps Kajita from sounding too sterile and digital.

I still feel that ‘Other Desert Cities’ provides great variety for the money and can be effecively used as part of an fx chain to provide more of the glue and subtle chorusing you sometimes associate with a decent feedback delay. And the granular algorithm is a delight and unique on iOS.

Some low pass on the delay can help as well.
    To me, the most "tacked on" delay mode must be the granular delay. So many possibilities with granular that can't be done with it for the lack of enough control. Bummer. But a great app other than that.

• @rs2000 said:

@jonmoore said:

@oat_phipps said:

At least with Desert Shores (the 1st algorithm) the saturation stage helps glue things. It’s a pity that AudioDamage didn’t include a pre-delay section like Kajita and a saturation stage that only gets added at regeneration (also like Kajita). It’s those elements in in Kajita that helps Kajita from sounding too sterile and digital.

I still feel that ‘Other Desert Cities’ provides great variety for the money and can be effecively used as part of an fx chain to provide more of the glue and subtle chorusing you sometimes associate with a decent feedback delay. And the granular algorithm is a delight and unique on iOS.

Some low pass on the delay can help as well.

Yes, especially when delays get into the realm of reverb-like effects.

• I'm leaning towards getting the desktop version of this plugin while the intro price is available. Any feedback from desktop users of ODC ?

• Ok, I woke up at 3am in calm ambient mode this time (last time was “famous 80s pop songwriter” mode), and though I probably wouldn’t use it for anything else, this is one of the best effects to get unique and interesting total washes of sound (synth pads mostly) I’ve ever played with. This is where the app shines and what it’s made for in my book.

Semi tangent: I like doing ambient stuff, but I feel like most of the time it’s a thing that’s way more fun to produce yourself than listen to others. It’s so easy to “do ambient”, but still you get the satisfaction it’s yours and you can just get lost for an hour or two making calming sounds. Usually beats putting on an album for me. Anyway, this delay is perfect for it.

• @oat_phipps said:

I like doing ambient stuff, but I feel like most of the time it’s a thing that’s way more fun to produce yourself than listen to others. It’s so easy to “do ambient”, but still you get the satisfaction it’s yours and you can just get lost for an hour or two making calming sounds.

Yeah, this!

• @lasselu said:

@oat_phipps said:

I like doing ambient stuff, but I feel like most of the time it’s a thing that’s way more fun to produce yourself than listen to others. It’s so easy to “do ambient”, but still you get the satisfaction it’s yours and you can just get lost for an hour or two making calming sounds.

Yeah, this!

Forgot to add the low energy and critical thinking requirements (aka approaching 0), not to mention the complete lack of any musical ability needed, as part of the easiness. Makes it ideal even when you’re tired or brain is fried. I don’t ever record my stuff, though…like I said, who wants to listen to that when they can do it themselves.

• edited September 2021

There was a UK festival called The Big Chill which wasn’t necessarily ambient by day or peak time (who wants that!) but overnight the festival was transformed into all manner of craziness. In amongst it all was a big top with DJ’s and live artists playing proper space cadet stuff, and the show was augmented by the most wonderful visuals too. Probably the only time that I’d actively seek properly horizontal ambiotica outside the safe confines of my headphones!

• @jonmoore said:
    There was a UK festival called The Big Chill which wasn’t necessarily ambient by day or peak time (who wants that!) but overnight the festival was transformed into all manner of craziness. In amongst it all was a big top with DJ’s and live artists playing proper space cadet stuff, and the show was augmented by the most wonderful visuals too. Probably the only time that I’d actively seek properly horizontal ambiotica outside the safe confines of my headphones!

This was our favourite festival! Good times.

• @gusgranite said:

This was our favourite festival! Good times.

And ours. Where else would you get Mr Scruff hosting an outdoor tea room! :)

For us, we've filled the missing space with Bestival, Camp Bestival and Festival No 6. But there are few festival sites that compete with the old Big Chill site for beauty, so sad that it finished at the end of the naughties. Festival No 6 quite obviously beats them all, Portmeirion is a pure delight and properly psychedelic for anyone that watched and loved The Prisoner; but stunningly beautiful too.

• edited September 2021

@oat_phipps said:

@lasselu said:

@oat_phipps said:

Yeah, this!

Forgot to add the low energy and critical thinking requirements (aka approaching 0), not to mention the complete lack of any musical ability needed, as part of the easiness. Makes it ideal even when you’re tired or brain is fried. I don’t ever record my stuff, though…like I said, who wants to listen to that when they can do it themselves.

"The complete lack of any musical ability"? Just stop. What you're making sounds like it's beneficial to you, but that's not ambient music. I get — and am frequently entertained by — your whole "you kids get offa my lawn!" shtick. But there's no need to disparage a genre of music you don't get.

Edited to reduce the needless snark brought on by the lack of coffee.

• edited September 2021

@ExAsperis99 said:

@oat_phipps said:

@lasselu said:

@oat_phipps said:

Yeah, this!

"The complete lack of any musical ability"? Just stop. What you're making sounds like it's beneficial to you, but that's not ambient music. I get — and am frequently entertained by — your whole "you kids get offa my lawn!" shtick. But there's no need to disparage a genre of music you don't get.

Edited to reduce the needless snark brought on by the lack of coffee.

Oh I get it, I love it, it is just dead simple to make an average, listenable, pleasant (or specifically moody) ambient album relative to any structured genre. As long as you can sit down and relax and slow your mind down—that is the one necessary skill that is difficult.

I do think we are probably considering much different scopes of things that are considered “ambient”. Anyway, hope your coffee hit the spot.

• edited September 2021

Musicality ≠ Complexity/Virtuosity

• I’ll also admit that re-reading my posts they come across as self-important and snobby. They weren’t meant that way but unfortunately they sound that way.