Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OtherDesertCities by Audio Damage, Inc. - Released

Comments

• All these extra comments are ruining the suspense // thanks guys

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    All these extra comments are ruining the suspense // thanks guys

Haha.

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    All these extra comments are ruining the suspense // thanks guys

or improving the suspense 😆

• @oat_phipps said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@oat_phipps said:

@lasselu said:

@oat_phipps said:

I like doing ambient stuff, but I feel like most of the time it’s a thing that’s way more fun to produce yourself than listen to others. It’s so easy to “do ambient”, but still you get the satisfaction it’s yours and you can just get lost for an hour or two making calming sounds.

Yeah, this!

Forgot to add the low energy and critical thinking requirements (aka approaching 0), not to mention the complete lack of any musical ability needed, as part of the easiness. Makes it ideal even when you’re tired or brain is fried. I don’t ever record my stuff, though…like I said, who wants to listen to that when they can do it themselves.

"The complete lack of any musical ability"? Just stop. What you're making sounds like it's beneficial to you, but that's not ambient music. I get — and am frequently entertained by — your whole "you kids get offa my lawn!" shtick. But there's no need to disparage a genre of music you don't get.

Edited to reduce the needless snark brought on by the lack of coffee.

Oh I get it, I love it, it is just dead simple to make an average, listenable, pleasant (or specifically moody) ambient album relative to any structured genre. As long as you can sit down and relax and slow your mind down—that is the one necessary skill that is difficult.

I do think we are probably considering much different scopes of things that are considered “ambient”. Anyway, hope your coffee hit the spot.

It has, yes, thank you!

I think I’m feeling insignificant after going down a rabbit hole about the structure and rhythm of Radiohead’s “Pyramid Song.” This video is pretentious but still devastating. Presented here while we wait….

• Sent feedback that saving presets also doesn't work in Eos 2, Filterstation2, Pumphouse, and RoughRider3, at least on my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 iPadOS 14.7.1.

Anyway, ODC reminds me of Dedalus by Amazing Noises.

• @ocelot said:

Sent feedback that saving presets also doesn't work in Eos 2, Filterstation2, Pumphouse, and RoughRider3, at least on my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 iPadOS 14.7.1.

Goodie, hope they'll look into as it also affects a couple more of other of their apps...
    ...so it's more likely a 'generic bug' that's been in there for a very long time without being looked in to.
    (I can't even save presets on the RoughRider 3 AudioUnit on my Mac...).

• @oat_phipps said:
    I’ll also admit that re-reading my posts they come across as self-important and snobby. They weren’t meant that way but unfortunately they sound that way.

I didn't read it that way. Then again, taking offence is a choice like anything else.

• @Ailerom said:

@oat_phipps said:
    I’ll also admit that re-reading my posts they come across as self-important and snobby. They weren’t meant that way but unfortunately they sound that way.

I didn't read it that way. Then again, taking offence is a choice like anything else.

offence is taken not given

• @Samu said:

@ocelot said:

Sent feedback that saving presets also doesn't work in Eos 2, Filterstation2, Pumphouse, and RoughRider3, at least on my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 iPadOS 14.7.1.

Goodie, hope they'll look into as it also affects a couple more of other of their apps...
    ...so it's more likely a 'generic bug' that's been in there for a very long time without being looked in to.
    (I can't even save presets on the RoughRider 3 AudioUnit on my Mac...).

From twitter- he said a fix is coming for presets plus any other small bugs people reported over past couple days..

• @Paul16 said:

@Ailerom said:

@oat_phipps said:

Could be both, but looks like it’s all sorted out, so let’s move back to the excruciating wait…

• @michael_m said:

@Paul16 said:

@Ailerom said:

@oat_phipps said:

Could be both, but looks like it’s all sorted out, so let’s move back to the excruciating wait…

What excruciating wait? You can have it right now (and for 90 days if you want) for absolute free

• @oat_phipps said:

@michael_m said:

@Paul16 said:

@Ailerom said:

@oat_phipps said:

What excruciating wait? You can have it right now (and for 90 days if you want) for absolute free

Nah, I don’t have the time to beta test, and want to be sure to put money in the developer’s hand.

When I said “excruciating “ I didn’t deny that it might be self-inflicted…

…again….

• @oat_phipps said:
    I’m perfectly whelmed. It’s good, but I’m the biggest Timeless 3 fanboy around and have spent so much time in it that I probably won’t reach for this much. I feel like I’ve reached the “comfortable with what I’ve got” stage of the itch-for-more cycle, and it feels nice to have everything in control. Less toodling and more playing. But here I am getting personal.

I will say that Randall demolished the clunkiness of the Fab’s user interface with the tap to bring up destination/set lfo or envelope amount in the window at the bottom right. Best modulation setup I’ve seen in a while, even if the three mod sources make it easy to pull off.

so how does this compare to timeless? I’ve been looking into possibly investing in timeless as well?

• @eross said:

@oat_phipps said:
    I’m perfectly whelmed. It’s good, but I’m the biggest Timeless 3 fanboy around and have spent so much time in it that I probably won’t reach for this much. I feel like I’ve reached the “comfortable with what I’ve got” stage of the itch-for-more cycle, and it feels nice to have everything in control. Less toodling and more playing. But here I am getting personal.

I will say that Randall demolished the clunkiness of the Fab’s user interface with the tap to bring up destination/set lfo or envelope amount in the window at the bottom right. Best modulation setup I’ve seen in a while, even if the three mod sources make it easy to pull off.

so how does this compare to timeless? I’ve been looking into possibly investing in timeless as well?

Much more time spent clicking around in Timeless looking for hidden functionality, whereas most things are right in front of you in this app. Just my opinion.

• @michael_m said:

@oat_phipps said:

@michael_m said:

@Paul16 said:

@Ailerom said:

@oat_phipps said:

Nah, I don’t have the time to beta test, and want to be sure to put money in the developer’s hand.

When I said “excruciating “ I didn’t deny that it might be self-inflicted…

…again….

You can download the beta now and you don’t have to send feedback or do anything else. Try it for a day or two - buy it when released and delete the TestFlight.

• edited September 2021

Here’s the beta in action:, cross posted from Creations at @mistercharlie’s prompting:

• edited September 2021

@eross said:

They’re different designs and workflows completely. Timeless is deep, and for those that have the time and patience to tinker. ODC presents a collection of different sounding algorthms where a select artist friendly set of parameters are available to fine tune the end result.

ODC is definitely something that sounds best as part of an fx chain. e.g. The right chorus and reverb make a world of difference as to it’s effectiveness. And personally, I don’t mind this.

• edited September 2021

Timeless is ultimately superior in my book due to sound quality and its use as a chorus/flange and even a reverb with its own diffusion effect. But its UI can be clunky on the touch screen due to imprecise finger control (less so with a Pencil, but still) and objectively a little too busy overall. It doesn’t have the specialized separate algorithms of ODC (no reverse or granular stuff), but you can do most of what ODC does, pristine digital or aged analog tape delay effects. It sounds more natural and doesn’t need a reverb tacked on to make it feel like it blends well with your dry signal. All the filter and mod options (and mid/side processing!) throw it way over the top, especially for doing subtle, usable FX. ODC’s limited mod options really only allow you to do wacky noise FX stuff. You can be subtle with it, but it’s quickly an out of control mess. I don’t like the way AD’s LFOs work.

Honestly you’re better off just trying the ODC beta (he released it freely as a favor to those who were waiting…you’re under no obligation whatsoever to do any testing, just purely for enjoyment while it waits to release) and watching a YT video on Timeless 3 and deciding. There’s no real right answer between the two unless you have more specific questions about what you want/need.

Tl;dr Timeless 3 is my delay holy grail for everything, ODC is a pretty good 6-part delay that excels at long delays and ambient washes more than traditional repeats and echos.

• edited September 2021

Would definitely agree with both of these assessments.

ODC has a uniqueness about it that I haven't quite got my head round yet. Although it offers a range of algorithms I'm finding it more difficult to produce a range of different sounding results the way I can with Timeless 3.

Most of ODC's strength is in creating interesting delayed patterns from the input, with its multiple algorithms, but there are fewer ways to shape the sound, and it sounds less blended and more digital as others have commented.

More algorithms, with less control over each ultimately adds up to a less versatile overall palette for me, compared with Timeless 3, which has one delay algorithm but really excels in creating useful and interesting variations of those. The highly flexible filter section in Timeless 3 is where it really comes alive sonically, along with the Mid\Side mode adding another creative avenue. And its modulation section is far more flexible than ODC.

Also, the way that Timeless 3 has a Stretch as well as a Tape mode, which means that not all speed\delay time modulations lead to pitch shifting effects the way they do in ODC is an addition source of usefulness in Timeless 3.

The Timeless 3 GUI is quite fiddly in places, though, so best used with a stylus of some kind.

So they're about as different as delays can be once you get into the nuts and bolts. I'm hoping to pick up ODC though as it offers some useful additions to my range esp reverse delays.

@jonmoore said:

@eross said:

They’re different designs and workflows completely. Timeless is deep, and for those that have the time and patience to tinker. ODC presents a collection of different sounding algorthms where a select artist friendly set of parameters are available to fine tune the end result.

ODC is definitely something that sounds best as part of an fx chain. e.g. The right chorus and reverb make a world of difference as to it’s effectiveness. And personally, I don’t mind this.

@oat_phipps said:
    Timeless is ultimately superior in my book due to sound quality and its use as a chorus/flange and even a reverb with its own diffusion effect. But its UI can be clunky on the touch screen due to imprecise finger control (less so with a Pencil, but still) and objectively a little too busy overall. It doesn’t have the specialized separate algorithms of ODC (no reverse or granular stuff), but you can do most of what ODC does, pristine digital or aged analog tape delay effects. It sounds more natural and doesn’t need a reverb tacked on to make it feel like it blends well with your dry signal. All the filter and mod options (and mid/side processing!) throw it way over the top, especially for doing wild FX. ODC’s limited mod options really only allow you to do wacky noise FX stuff. You can be subtle with it, but it’s quickly an out of control mess. I don’t like the way AD’s LFOs work.

• @craftycurate said:
    Would definitely agree with both of these assessments.

ODC has a uniqueness about it that I haven't quite got my head round yet. Although it offers a range of algorithms I'm finding it more difficult to produce a range of different sounding results the way I can with Timeless 3.

Most of ODC's strength is in creating interesting delayed patterns from the input, with its multiple algorithms, but there are fewer ways to shape the sound, and it sounds less blended and more digital as others have commented.

More algorithms, with less control over each ultimately adds up to a less versatile overall palette for me, compared with Timeless 3, which has one delay algorithm but really excels in creating useful and interesting variations of those. The highly flexible filter section in Timeless 3 is where it really comes alive sonically, along with the Mid\Side mode adding another creative avenue. And its modulation section is far more flexible than ODC.

Also, the way that Timeless 3 has a Stretch as well as a Tape mode, which means that not all speed\delay time modulations lead to pitch shifting effects the way they do in ODC is an addition source of usefulness in Timeless 3.

The Timeless 3 GUI is quite fiddly in places, though, so best used with a stylus of some kind.

So they're about as different as delays can be once you get into the nuts and bolts. I'm hoping to pick up ODC though as it offers some useful additions to my range esp reverse delays.

@jonmoore said:

@eross said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Timeless is ultimately superior in my book due to sound quality and its use as a chorus/flange and even a reverb with its own diffusion effect. But its UI can be clunky on the touch screen due to imprecise finger control (less so with a Pencil, but still) and objectively a little too busy overall. It doesn’t have the specialized separate algorithms of ODC (no reverse or granular stuff), but you can do most of what ODC does, pristine digital or aged analog tape delay effects. It sounds more natural and doesn’t need a reverb tacked on to make it feel like it blends well with your dry signal. All the filter and mod options (and mid/side processing!) throw it way over the top, especially for doing wild FX. ODC’s limited mod options really only allow you to do wacky noise FX stuff. You can be subtle with it, but it’s quickly an out of control mess. I don’t like the way AD’s LFOs work.

Glad someone else appreciates the Timeless M/S mode. It’s really special.

Timeless 3 is a pure classic. The pure beauty of having subtle movement on the filters in serial or parallel. Hell, just having 6 any-pass you want filters to use is heaven for me. It’s the kind of plugin that has made guitar pedals obsolete for me. Pay $200-300 and not be able to do a tenth of what it does?

I just wanted to waste a little more of my morning talking about it. I’ve been a total dork over Timeless since I got 2 on Auria. Carry on.

• edited September 2021

@oat_phipps said:
    Glad someone else appreciates the Timeless M/S mode. It’s really special.

It is! Being able to craft a different sonic space in the centre of the soundstage, with all kinds of stuff happening on the periphery is something I wish I could do with more FX apps.

And the "Per Channel" mode in the Filter section is quite unique too ... along with Mid\Side and various Ping\Pong flavours, there are so many ways to position the delay echoes in space with Timeless 3.

Anyone using Timeless 3 - it's really worth reading the manual as there is a load of stuff that's just not immediately obvious e.g. that in Per Channel filter mode, odd numbered filters apply to the left channel, and even numbered filters to the right channel, which, when combined with Cross Feedback can create some quite intricate results.

• New beta is available, saving presets perfectly now.

• Never seen so much hype on here for a delay plug-in. Not sure if I should wait for this or grab the highly touted Kajita instead.

• edited September 2021

@sharifkerbage said:
    New beta is available, saving presets perfectly now.

Almost!

I’ve encountered an issue I haven’t managed to reproduce yet.

I hit Save Preset, entered a name, and hit Save.
    I had previously tried the “Random Name” function.
    Now, when I hit Save Preset, I didn’t see the patch name I entered, but the previous Random Name in the box where patch name is entered during saving. And the patch I saved is nowhere to be found in User.

So I’ve somehow managed to create a set of conditions that slips through ... will try to reproduce.

UPDATE: I Found the patches saved in the Designer / Time Rival folder, which I didn’t think was possible.

• I’m seeing a minor issue where resizing the AU window while the presets pane is open makes it impossible to close. Can anyone reproduce? I tend to switch between max and medium size AU in Drambo somewhat frequently.

• @I_sip_cupps said:
    Never seen so much hype on here for a delay plug-in. Not sure if I should wait for this or grab the highly touted Kajita instead.

To be blunt, I probably should’ve skipped Kajita.

• edited September 2021

@jonmoore said:

Nice, gotta love Chris Randall’s vernacular.

😂

• @NoiseFloored said:
    I’m seeing a minor issue where resizing the AU window while the presets pane is open makes it impossible to close. Can anyone reproduce? I tend to switch between max and medium size AU in Drambo somewhat frequently.

Yup, plus a number of new issues with the presets.

1. Importing preset folder (zip) crashes ODC. (Same as several of the other apps).
    2. Saving presets now saves them in the original folder, instead of the User folder.
    3. Attempting to save as User/PresetName creates a new User folder inside the original folder, and the new User folder cannot be deleted.
    4. Resizing the AU window while the presets screen is displayed results in the inability to close the preset screen.

I wish they'd get their preset system sorted with all their apps.

• @ocelot said:

@NoiseFloored said:
    I’m seeing a minor issue where resizing the AU window while the presets pane is open makes it impossible to close. Can anyone reproduce? I tend to switch between max and medium size AU in Drambo somewhat frequently.

Yup, plus a number of new issues with the presets.

1. Importing preset folder (zip) crashes ODC. (Same as several of the other apps).
    2. Saving presets now saves them in the original folder, instead of the User folder.
    3. Attempting to save as User/PresetName creates a new User folder inside the original folder, and the new User folder cannot be deleted.
    4. Resizing the AU window while the presets screen is displayed results in the inability to close the preset screen.

I wish they'd get their preset system sorted with all their apps.

Thanks for confirming!

• @NeuM said:

@I_sip_cupps said:
    Never seen so much hype on here for a delay plug-in. Not sure if I should wait for this or grab the highly touted Kajita instead.

To be blunt, I probably should’ve skipped Kajita.

I don’t know. ODC is nice but Kajita goes deep. Two excellent but quite different apps I think.