Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What are people using for ad blocking?

Comments

• @AudioGus said:

@Gavinski said:

@jazzmess said:

@Gavinski said:
    Nice points Pete. Being a youtube entity is a pretty viable career choice in many niches, but perhaps not in iOS, its just too small. For youtube ad revenue to be significant you need the numbers that iOS just doesn't look like it will get

This.
    You can not expect any sustainable revenue from such a little (and adorable !!!) crowd. I think it has very little to do with adblocking. So you might expecting too much of us, or you missed the market targeting somewhere, as least compared to your involvement.

Yes, that's why I'm considering stepping back my involvement, sadly.

With your impressive catalog of videos and quality content…. dayum, seems like you should be able to shop yourself around to big name desktop entities and get promo copies for these impressive adverts/tutorials. I mean, your Drum Computer vid got 14k views (around 7 times more than the iOS only videos of the time) which has to be attributed to desktop spill over. No chance of wading into desktop?

Yes, switch to deskto, or some kind of hybrid, is another possibility for sure

• @Gavinski said:

@AudioGus said:

@Gavinski said:

@jazzmess said:

@Gavinski said:
    Nice points Pete. Being a youtube entity is a pretty viable career choice in many niches, but perhaps not in iOS, its just too small. For youtube ad revenue to be significant you need the numbers that iOS just doesn't look like it will get

This.
    You can not expect any sustainable revenue from such a little (and adorable !!!) crowd. I think it has very little to do with adblocking. So you might expecting too much of us, or you missed the market targeting somewhere, as least compared to your involvement.

With your impressive catalog of videos and quality content…. dayum, seems like you should be able to shop yourself around to big name desktop entities and get promo copies for these impressive adverts/tutorials. I mean, your Drum Computer vid got 14k views (around 7 times more than the iOS only videos of the time) which has to be attributed to desktop spill over. No chance of wading into desktop?

Yes, switch to deskto, or some kind of hybrid, is another possibility for sure

Oh hybrid for sure! That is the so called 'future' of things anyway isn't it etc it?

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@DMan said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    I hear if you buy the midi pack, he leaves you alone.

Insane midi pack. Yo check it out we even have C major in this.

C major? I got you!

BUT, do they have the very very very high level chord that my friend, Jon Werking, an incredible pianist, introduced to the world? I’m going to give it up here, even if he is mad at me.

C/C (read C over C for those who don’t know chord notation). Use it with caution, only Jon is allowed to throw it around his music Willy nilly. The rest of us mere mortals must beware. 😁

• C over C

Who knew you could make money by selling a product that:

• Repackages digitized music in an abstract form only computers use
    • That doesn't the give you any idea why the music represented works
    • Thats mostly freely available on the internet to begin with

YOU TOO CAN BE A FAMOUS BEDROOM PRODUCER WITH JUST 12 TONES. Amaze your friends. buy now.

Product Idea: sell silence. I mean there’s only 12 tones in the western scale. Surely it’s all be done already. Isn’t it more important when you are not playing. Let’s be avant-garde commodify the silence. Be John Cage for only 9.99 a month (because everything is a subscription)

Products speak to our desires for acknowledgment and recognition more than to their functionality

Strive to be a creator more than a consumer.

Reminds me of people hawking sheet music of other peoples compositions back in the way back days.

While I was stream of consciousness ranting, I figured out the original sin. It’s Eating. Discuss.

Oh, and thank you all for the POLITE discussions and solutions to my original question.

• @AudioGus said:

@Gavinski said:

@jazzmess said:

@Gavinski said:

This.

Yes. That's definitely an option to consider, and including dropping the iOS ball. Maybe targeting at dual desktop/iOS plugins could be a good solution.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2021

@johnfromberkeley said:

@DMan said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    I hear if you buy the midi pack, he leaves you alone.

Insane midi pack. Yo check it out we even have C major in this.

C major? I got you!

• @audiblevideo said:

@yug said:
    I am using 1Blocker and it was working fine until about 2 months ago. Now all YouTube ads slip past it and other popular blocking extensions as well :( The empire strikes back

Exactly why I was asking - I had the same.

It works again!

1Blocker 4.0 for Mac adds a new Web Extension that can block ads on YouTube.

The new Web Extension is optional, has no interface, and its purpose is to perform more advanced content blocking that the original Content Blocker API doesn't provide.

• If you switch to DuckDuckGo search engine when you search for videos they will play without ads as far as I know.
    Of course there is that fact about video makers getting some money for their videos through ads so am not sure if trying to avoid them is morally coherent.

• edited October 2021

@animal said:
    ads are completely unacceptable. I stopped using a television around 1990, and see the internet as a free alternative to old mechanisms. Suddenly though people seem to start to accept the same bullshit online, being tracked and blasted with commercials back and forth. Anytime my adblocker doesn‘t work I immediately quit the video. What happened to the initial ideas of the Internet?
    Sorry for the rant, but please don‘t let the „possibilities“ for the little man to make money online fool you…

The fact is that the internet is not free. It also consumes vast amounts of energy and requires maintenance.

In the uk the BBC is the state tv that is funded by a yearly subscription fee that broadly ensures there’s no advertising. If you’re watching other channels however you are expected to pay via swallowing vast amounts of ad garbage.

I hope governments will eventually start paying for the internet so most of it can actually be free (paid through taxation) to their citizens although I’m not sure how this would work in practice with geofencing and all vpn business as well as govs using it as an instrument of control.

I don’t watch television either and I’m also shocked by the amount of advertising there is anytime I end up in a hotel room with a tv in but business is business and unless you live in communist China (still questionable) you should know by now that if you’re not paying for the product, you are one.

• edited October 2021

@Gavinski said:
    Ads every 5 to 10 mins is perfectly acceptable in my view guys. If you skip ads, that still ends up to max a minute or two of ads over the course of an hour long video. Compare that to what you'd get on cable! As I've said before, despite a regular output of long videos, my current youtube ad revenue sucks absolute balls, and here is the screenshot to prove it. The most I have earned in a month from youtube ads is about 300 bucks, and that was pumping out vids at great physical and mental toll to my health. As I've said before, if people give a damn about supporting the youtubers who are providing so much value in this very niche community, either tolerate the ads or get Youtube premium. 🙏

As others pointed out,it‘s not mainly about having ads or not.But i usually don‘t look videos fully and want to skip thru instead.And in this case it can happen,that google throws 3-4 ads in ONE MINUTE to you because their algo is so dumb.And sorry,youtube premium is way to expensive for just blocking ads (i don‘t need/want anything else).I know they are testing a cheaper version of premium for adblocking only and i‘ll probably subscribe this if it will ever be available in my country.

• @Crabman said:

@Gavinski said:
    Ads every 5 to 10 mins is perfectly acceptable in my view guys. If you skip ads, that still ends up to max a minute or two of ads over the course of an hour long video. Compare that to what you'd get on cable! As I've said before, despite a regular output of long videos, my current youtube ad revenue sucks absolute balls, and here is the screenshot to prove it. The most I have earned in a month from youtube ads is about 300 bucks, and that was pumping out vids at great physical and mental toll to my health. As I've said before, if people give a damn about supporting the youtubers who are providing so much value in this very niche community, either tolerate the ads or get Youtube premium. 🙏

As others pointed out,it‘s not mainly about having ads or not.But i usually don‘t look videos fully and want to skip thru instead.And in this case it can happen,that google throws 3-4 ads in ONE MINUTE to you because their algo is so dumb.And sorry,youtube premium is way to expensive for just blocking ads (i don‘t need/want anything else).I know they are testing a cheaper version of premium for adblocking only and i‘ll probably subscribe this if it will ever be available in my country.

That would be great, a cheaper ad-free premium, I'd love to see that, though youtube premium is unfortunately not available in China where I am currently based.

• My grandfather was an adman for the local newspaper. I worked at that newspaper when I was a teenager in the department that stuffed the ads into the newspaper before delivery. I can remember going out to buy Guitar Player magazine to get the freaking ads! With that perspective, the problem is that ads on YT and on almost every website suck! They are obnoxious annoying garbage that leave my mental state annoyed and grumpy at best. If a website has any form of moving/animated ad on it I will block all ads on the site and never go back to it without an ad blocker on.

On the other hand, many of the YT creators I watch regularly do sponsored content and I will always sit through that segment. I'll often even end up smiling at the way they pulled off the "ad" and their clever delivery.

For bigger websites and channels, I'm constantly confused that they use the garbage that YT and Google push as ads. Why doesn't anyone put in the effort to have their own ad departments anymore?

In short, it's not the concept of ads that force me to use ad blockers --- it's the ads themselves.

• @NeonSilicon said:
    My grandfather was an adman for the local newspaper. I worked at that newspaper when I was a teenager in the department that stuffed the ads into the newspaper before delivery. I can remember going out to buy Guitar Player magazine to get the freaking ads! With that perspective, the problem is that ads on YT and on almost every website suck! They are obnoxious annoying garbage that leave my mental state annoyed and grumpy at best. If a website has any form of moving/animated ad on it I will block all ads on the site and never go back to it without an ad blocker on.

On the other hand, many of the YT creators I watch regularly do sponsored content and I will always sit through that segment. I'll often even end up smiling at the way they pulled off the "ad" and their clever delivery.

For bigger websites and channels, I'm constantly confused that they use the garbage that YT and Google push as ads. Why doesn't anyone put in the effort to have their own ad departments anymore?

In short, it's not the concept of ads that force me to use ad blockers --- it's the ads themselves.

The papers, magazines, sites etc all make money off of advertising. Nothing wrong with that - unless you don't say content is sponsored and pretend its an article.

Ads should be targeted to what people are interested in. However with the internet especially since there is tracking (how many people actually saw the ad, where did they come, from where did they go to, and did they engage with the ad) ads are sold by agencies to websites - often in bulk.

Paid per click incentivizes everyone to be as big of a prick as possible to get the numbers up so everyone can make more and charge more. Ads aren't the problem. Wasting the readers/viewers time is the problem by shoving ads in your face. Garbage ads are a nuisance and worse data suckers, page bloaters, and energy wasters.

• edited October 2021

@Gavinski said:

>

I've heard from other YouTubers that it has become increasingly difficult to generate revenue on YouTube. No wonder so many offer Patreon exclusives for their audience as a means to bolster their revenue stream.

Also, you might consider setting up an account on Locals.com to offer more exclusive content to subscribers.

And I recommend doing some interactive videos with live chats or call ins for questioners. Some of the highest earning people on these kinds of platforms are doing live Twitch streams or live YouTube streams, which accept payments/donations to the livestreamer. And I hate to say it, but the more controversial your content (without breaking the terms of use for your platform), the more likely you'll get attention. There is a LOT of competition out there and getting attention is job number one.

• @mlau said:

@Gavinski said:

Not on your side ! Ads are becoming a serious problem. Just this morning, i was playing alongside Chet Baker and had to stop three times in 10mn !!!

Lately, youtube has been harassing everyone with those ads. It is a plague ! And i am sorry if that’s the way you conceive a way of living, but for all the other people, it is a no go …

As for paying youtube to get rid of the ads, this proposition is almost comical …

To be honest with you gavin, i stopped watching some of your vids because of the ads !

In support of Gavinski's point of view, "free" isn't free. Someone has to pay the price at some point down the line. And the more the YouTube ads are blocked or skipped, the more they'll jam into a video.

• I use AdGuard which has IAP paid versions but the free version covers plenty. SO I ROCK THAT.

• brave browser. faster, better browser, with great privacy + ive earned 5$ in crypto by using it 🌙

• edited October 2021

@shinyisshiny said:
    brave browser. faster, better browser, with great privacy + ive earned 5$ in crypto by using it 🌙

I’ve heard this is a good one, they give you free crypto Just for using?

• @Gavinski said:

Maybe you should reverse what you’ve been doing. Make 1 hour videos of just ads and pepper a couple of your 1 minute walkthroughs in between them. 😜

• edited October 2021

@audiblevideo @Tarekith @etc..
    For anyone looking for a blocker that works on youtube ads, check out AdGuard Pro. once you install it you can activate an extension that targets specifically youtube ads - then anytime you visit a youtube page you click on the extension menu in safari and click on “Block youtube Ads”. It works every time for me.. mind you i’m still on ios 13.. i am planning on upgrading to ios 15, so if anyone knows of a reason i shouldn’t please say it.. i have been trying to find feedback by ios musicians about wether it has become safe to upgrade but havent found a clear/unconfused answer.. anyone?

• @Poppadocrock said:

@shinyisshiny said:
    brave browser. faster, better browser, with great privacy + ive earned 5$ in crypto by using it 🌙

I’ve heard this is a good one, they give you free crypto Just for using?

I don't use it (I use Firefox) but here's an interesting article about Brave how works:

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3292619/the-brave-browser-basics-what-it-does-how-it-differs-from-rivals.html

• @shinyisshiny said:

Over what period of time was that?

• @NeuM said:

@Gavinski said:

>

I've heard from other YouTubers that it has become increasingly difficult to generate revenue on YouTube. No wonder so many offer Patreon exclusives for their audience as a means to bolster their revenue stream.

Also, you might consider setting up an account on Locals.com to offer more exclusive content to subscribers.

And I recommend doing some interactive videos with live chats or call ins for questioners. Some of the highest earning people on these kinds of platforms are doing live Twitch streams or live YouTube streams, which accept payments/donations to the livestreamer. And I hate to say it, but the more controversial your content (without breaking the terms of use for your platform), the more likely you'll get attention. There is a LOT of competition out there and getting attention is job number one.

Yes, I often made my videos as premieres, which also allows people to send superchats, but pretty much no one did except my main man @iostrakon and maybe one other person I can't recall. A few people have been generous, sometimes very generous on PayPal, smd I thank them with all my heart

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@Gavinski said:

Maybe you should reverse what you’ve been doing. Make 1 hour videos of just ads and pepper a couple of your 1 minute walkthroughs in between them. 😜

Lol

• @audiblevideo said:
    Specifically for YouTube ads on iOS. There’s too many ads. (sorry Gavin it’s not you)

I open youtube on Brave, it let me have the video as a floating window and listen to it in background all without ads (once ni a blue moon I see one at the beginning that's quickly solved by reloading the page).

• I use Brave a lot too as my second web browser, and it’s pretty nice overall. Nice for checking news sites and things I don’t want tracking me to make sure I get a little more unbiased information versus being tracked and fed what they think I want to see.

• Hugs n shit

@Gavinski said:

@NeuM said:

@Gavinski said:

>

Yes, I often made my videos as premieres, which also allows people to send superchats, but pretty much no one did except my main man @iostrakon and maybe one other person I can't recall. A few people have been generous, sometimes very generous on PayPal, smd I thank them with all my heart

• I have ad blockers up the wazoo here, but it's not so much the ads that actually bother me, it's the tracking and spying that does. Paying for YouTube Premium removes ads, but not the trackers. It doesn't stop Google harvesting your data, selling or giving it to others, or doing whatever the hell they like with it. I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would voluntarily give Google money to let them harvest you. I've stopped using YouTube completely, it's a cesspit of spyware.

• 1Blocker.

I paid for lifetime license before version 4 came out (which blocks trackers and has a firewall to block trackers from apps as well as safari (!) obviously blocks ads and works great — also blocks ads in YouTube on safari).

1 license or subscription also gets you the Mac app but I’ve not updated to big Sur yet so don’t use it on the Mac. Yet.

1Blocker reports that it has blocked 7,500 trackers from apps in the last 30 days.

250 a day. Yuck.