Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What are people using for ad blocking?

Comments

• @mrufino1 said:

@AudioGus said:

@mrufino1 said:

@AudioGus said:
    The Mrs and I run youtube on so many different devices/machines/browsers that paying for premium is a simple no brainer. No going back. Getting Youtube Music was a nice bonus too.

Does YouTube music have the same sound quality as YouTube? The YouTube music compression settings are really audible and distracting to me. I’ve been using Amazon music HD for about 8 months now and I love the sound quality.

Youtube music still shows regular youtube uploads by people in the wild but for what appears to be the uhh 'official' Youtube Music stuff (with the artists banners etc) sounds fine enough for me.

I don’t necessarily mind ads in and of themself, I just wish they were placed better and that you could elect to prevent certain ads that you find really annoying (like the cold beat maker midi packs and drip plugins 😉).

Thankfully I have no idea what you are talking about of course. I dropped off at 'the cardinal sin of EDM'.

I got no problem payin' El TubeO for protection.

Oh no, since you don’t know the cardinal sin of EDM your music will never be pro!

I just assumed that EDM was the cardinal sin.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    I watch your vids through the YouTube app @Gavinski which doesn’t block ads unless you get Premium. I can’t lie I do sometimes skip, but I also watch them 50% of the time. I do that for about a dozen channels. Yours is obviously one of those. Keep up the great work man. The rest, heck ads in general though… ugggh.

Cheers buddy, of course I woukd expect no one to watch all the ads.

@despego for sure this doesn't pay as much as my regular job I was doing before and am still doing but in a very part time basis due to covid. I would earn that monthly youtube salary in a day or two of regular work. Unfortunately at the moment I have very little of that work to as the market is destroyed due to covid. So yeah, seriously considering abandoning the channel and just getting a new job, probably moving country too. Or at the very least changing the nature of my channel. No more walkthroughs on detailed apps unless they are sponsored. Free vids will only be on the easier stuff. No Aparillo, Chordjam, BeatCutter vids unless paid by the devs themselves. With youtube as a main job, It would take years to build it up to a liveable wage and I would then still be stuck with all the time pressure etc that goes with doing a channel like mine (essentially it is like being a news journalist, and the faster you are the higher the rewards). I don't do well with time pressure. Anyway, as I say, you only see the reality once you gave it a tey and it is a pretty ugly reality. The community is great and very appreciative, but man cannot live on subs, thumbs up and comments alone.

• Another Gavinski thread!

• edited June 2021

I have never considered putting an ad-blocker on YouTube - if I like a video or channel I will tolerate the ads as they benefit the creator, but if I’m indifferent about the video I’ll probably stop it at the first ad (and maybe flag it as a video I don’t like or a channel I don’t want to get recommendations for).

I’m far more likely to put an ad-blocker on a browser after the years of intrusive and excessive advertising abuse that I (and everyone else) has had to put up with.

• @michael_m said:
    I have never considered putting an ad-blocker on YouTube - if I like a video or channel I will tolerate the ads as they benefit the creator, but if I’m indifferent about the video I’ll probably stop it at the first ad (and maybe flag it as a video I don’t like or a channel I don’t want to get recommendations for).

I’m far more likely to put an ad-blocker on a browser after the years of intrusive and excessive advertising abuse that I (and everyone else) has had to put up with.

Amen. This is the way

• By the way, I do hope that people who are so virtuously taking the moral high ground against youtube are also taking the moral high ground about things that may be less convenient - things like not driving or having children if you care about the environment and global heating etc 🤣. It's always easy to take the moral high ground when it suits one, less so when it doesn't...

• @Gavinski said:
    By the way, I do hope that people who are so virtuously taking the moral high ground against youtube are also taking the moral high ground about things that may be less convenient - things like not driving or having children if you care about the environment and global heating etc 🤣. It's always easy to take the moral high ground when it suits one, less so when it doesn't...

Trying to avoid adverts for you and your kids is extremely inconvenient. You should start another thread about the other stuff.

• I'm fine to leave this here, I've said all I want to say

• edited June 2021

If I want to support someone - such as @Gavinski - then I simply let the video play, ads and all, in another tab while I’m doing something else. Then I watch it and skip the ads.

• I think @Gavinski is right when talking about other problematic areas of interest, I just don‘t think it‘s about some „moral higher ground“. It‘s about being human, and old enough to have realised how my own decisions in daily life are actually building the future… . For reference: I do post videos on youtube regularly (non-monetized) for years and have a website with my artworks for even the last twenty years, so I actually try to live after my own principals. It‘s not about being a cheapskate, it‘s about all-day morals that need to be followed to help construct a better world (I know, little little steps, but they are either done, or not…).
    As far as I heard, youtube lately is reserving themselves the right to place commercials on ANY content on their site, irrespective of the poster‘s wish to monetize… (dependent on reach of the channel, I guess), now think about this for a moment…

• @Gavinski said:
    I'm fine to leave this here, I've said all I want to saY

I'll be honest and admit I'm vague on all the ins and outs of YouTube from the point of view of creators but I'm realising that it's a very thorny issue. I'm definitely not happy about targeting and trackers and such like and am very careful about checking security settings on social media platforms but understand that if I want to view interesting and useful content like @Gavinski and support the creators in a small way then there's a trade off...

• Being a YouTube entity hasn't ever seemed like a viable career choice. Without more strings to your bow you're eternally beholden to their whims - if they want to demonetise your content, introduce ads every 30s or reduce payments to a fraction of current levels you're utterly powerless to do anything about it.

Sponsored content invariably means that the big guys win: those who can afford to pay people to make videos will do so; those who can't afford it won't get their work supported. In some instances, people who can't afford it will feel as though they have to pay to get videos made, ultimately meaning that they don't get paid sufficiently from their work to support the continued maintenance of it (causing more instances of abandonware and titles being pulled from the app store indefinitely)

When it comes down to such a numbers game we're back to the eternal norm of "rich folk get all the power" which never sits comfortably.

• Nice points Pete. Being a youtube entity is a pretty viable career choice in many niches, but perhaps not in iOS, its just too small. For youtube ad revenue to be significant you need the numbers that iOS just doesn't look like it will get

• @ervin said:
    Leaving YouTube because of the ads (and not wanting to pay for content) is a valid position. Watching the ads rather than pay is understandable, too. But why would it be "comical" as some say here, to pay for an ad-free experience while still supporting the content creators?

Isn't it a more comical position to expect other people to produce and serve valuable content to you (so basically work for you) for free? 🤷

am a musician. i know exactly what a musician gets from youtube - with or without adds - so do not make me laugh even more !

what you will get with this system is less and less “ creators “ ( as you call them ) and more and more people creating whatever content and more and more adds … which is exactly what is happening …

youtube is already making a huge amount of money on the back of “ creators “ … then on the top of that we have to lose our time watching those dumb ads which now also come in the middle of a song ! i repeat : in the middle of a song !!!

i am all to help guys like @Gavinski and i do … i sent his link to many people around …

the way it’s going, in two or three years, there will only be ads and nothing but ads … which is very far away from what youtube was supposed to be …

i do not think that if you put stickers on a bird’s wings, it will fly better

• As many of us have said over the years - whether in response to the way Apple views people who make music on iOS devices, or in other contexts - we have to be realistic and accept that we're a niche within a niche.

Compare the number of people playing games, for example, with those making music on mobile devices and you begin to realise the economies of scale involved.

• @Gavinski said:
    By the way, I do hope that people who are so virtuously taking the moral high ground against youtube are also taking the moral high ground about things that may be less convenient - things like not driving or having children if you care about the environment and global heating etc 🤣. It's always easy to take the moral high ground when it suits one, less so when it doesn't...

Well, that is a very unfortunate statement. From that point of view only saints and perfect people can do/talk moral?

@gusgranite said:
    Another Gavinski thread!

Now you say it… (and I feel in part responsible for it).

The question was about what ad blocker to use, wasn’t it?
    Some good suggestions there.

• edited June 2021

@mlau said:

@ervin said:
    Leaving YouTube because of the ads (and not wanting to pay for content) is a valid position. Watching the ads rather than pay is understandable, too. But why would it be "comical" as some say here, to pay for an ad-free experience while still supporting the content creators?

Isn't it a more comical position to expect other people to produce and serve valuable content to you (so basically work for you) for free? 🤷

am a musician. i know exactly what a musician gets from youtube - with or without adds - so do not make me laugh even more !

what you will get with this system is less and less “ creators “ ( as you call them ) and more and more people creating whatever content and more and more adds … which is exactly what is happening …

youtube is already making a huge amount of money on the back of “ creators “ … then on the top of that we have to lose our time watching those dumb ads which now also come in the middle of a song ! i repeat : in the middle of a song !!!

i am all to help guys like @Gavinski and i do … i sent his link to many people around …

the way it’s going, in two or three years, there will only be ads and nothing but ads … which is very far away from what youtube was supposed to be …

Sorry mate, what's your argument? :)

That you should get stuff for free? That you're generously sending Gavinski links to other people so they can watch the ads instead of you, so you're cool? That people who create stuff should not be called creators? That putting ads in the middle of clips feels like a personal affront to you? Or that a profit-oriented business like YouTube shouldn't be in it for the money? Or...? 🤷

• @ervin said:

@mlau said:

@ervin said:

That you should get stuff for free? That you're generously sending Gavinski links to other people so they can watch the ads instead of you, so you're cool? That people who create stuff should not be called creators? That putting ads in the middle of clips feels like a personal affront to you? Or that a profit-oriented business like YouTube shouldn't be in it for the money? Or...? 🤷

since you enjoy ads so much, knock yourself out ! i don’t

• @mlau said:

@ervin said:

@mlau said:

@ervin said:

since you enjoy ads so much, knock yourself out ! i don’t

Fair point. Thank you. I currently pay to not see ads on YouTube, especially in the middle of clips which I really hated, but otherwise your assessment is spot on. 👍

• It’s worth mentioning that smaller YouTube channels (less than 1,000 subscribers among other requirements) have zero control over what ads are displayed, how many ads are shown, and where in a video ads appear.

• edited June 2021

Simple. Firefox + uBlock Origin + Pihole. And don't see videos on iPhone / iPad.

I haven't seen an ad in years on Youtube with this system.

Plus, I use Multicontainers on Firefox to avoid tracking.

• I've been trying to be nice and watch those aggressively obtrusive ads to support content creators, especially after my ad blocker stopped working :) But usually after about 45 mins I just can't take it anymore, so I either stop watching or download the whole video to my device and then watch it

Also, I've noticed that for some reason I almost never see ads in embedded videos. For example, if I paste a youtube link here in the comment field and click Preview, I can watch that video without any ads.

• @yug said:
    I've been trying to be nice and watch those aggressively obtrusive ads to support content creators, especially after my ad blocker stopped working :) But usually after about 45 mins I just can't take it anymore, so I either stop watching or download the whole video to my device and then watch it

Also, I've noticed that for some reason I almost never see ads in embedded videos. For example, if I paste a youtube link here in the comment field and click Preview, I can watch that video without any ads.

Yes, I also don't see ads if I watch an embedded video here, that's why I make a point of clicking through to youtube as soon as I make a decision whether I am going to watch or not

• @Gavinski said:
    @despego for sure this doesn't pay as much as my regular job I was doing before and am still doing but in a very part time basis due to covid. I would earn that monthly youtube salary in a day or two of regular work. Unfortunately at the moment I have very little of that work to as the market is destroyed due to covid. So yeah, seriously considering abandoning the channel and just getting a new job, probably moving country too. Or at the very least changing the nature of my channel. No more walkthroughs on detailed apps unless they are sponsored. Free vids will only be on the easier stuff. No Aparillo, Chordjam, BeatCutter vids unless paid by the devs themselves.

Unfortunately, most iOS devs don't make enough money themselves. And the number of new music apps released every month is on the low side. So I wouldn't get my hopes up

I've noticed some youtubers switched from ios apps to hardware reviews and tutorials, looks like there's more money there and definitely more subscribers/viewers

• @Gavinski said:
    Nice points Pete. Being a youtube entity is a pretty viable career choice in many niches, but perhaps not in iOS, its just too small. For youtube ad revenue to be significant you need the numbers that iOS just doesn't look like it will get

This.
    You can not expect any sustainable revenue from such a little (and adorable !!!) crowd. I think it has very little to do with adblocking. So you might expecting too much of us, or you missed the market targeting somewhere, as least compared to your involvement.

• @jazzmess said:

@Gavinski said:
    Nice points Pete. Being a youtube entity is a pretty viable career choice in many niches, but perhaps not in iOS, its just too small. For youtube ad revenue to be significant you need the numbers that iOS just doesn't look like it will get

This.
    You can not expect any sustainable revenue from such a little (and adorable !!!) crowd. I think it has very little to do with adblocking. So you might expecting too much of us, or you missed the market targeting somewhere, as least compared to your involvement.

Yes, that's why I'm considering stepping back my involvement, sadly.

• edited June 2021

Amd I agree about the adorable crowd. You definitely get the odd asshole here or there, but great folk for the most part 😉

• @DMan said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    I hear if you buy the midi pack, he leaves you alone.

Insane midi pack. Yo check it out we even have C major in this.

C major? I got you!

• @Gavinski said:

@jazzmess said:

@Gavinski said:

This.

Yes, that's why I'm considering stepping back my involvement, sadly.

With your impressive catalog of videos and quality content…. dayum, seems like you should be able to shop yourself around to big name desktop entities and get promo copies for these impressive adverts/tutorials. I mean, your Drum Computer vid got 14k views (around 7 times more than the iOS only videos of the time) which has to be attributed to desktop spill over. No chance of wading into desktop?

• Cercube on my iPad and iPhone, uBlock Origin on my pooter.