Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ordered MacBook Air M1. Very excited šŸ˜†

13Ā»

Comments

• Just bought a new Macbook Pro M1 Pro - 16.2ā€ā€¦

My Macbook Pro M1 13ā€ is about to retire - itā€™s like to retire an young strong teenager, not an old week humanā€¦

I bought the 3000$ M1 Pro, 16GB/512GB SSD, certainly enough for meā€¦

Now time for finding anyone intrested in my ā€oldā€ M1 Macbook Proā€¦

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    Just bought a new Macbook Pro M1 Pro - 16.2ā€ā€¦

My Macbook Pro M1 13ā€ is about to retire - itā€™s like to retire an young strong teenager, not an old week humanā€¦

I bought the 3000$ M1 Pro, 16GB/512GB SSD, certainly enough for meā€¦

Now time for finding anyone intrested in my ā€oldā€ M1 Macbook Proā€¦

It's going to be a beast. Interested to hear your impressions of how it performs relative to your old M1.

• @eylvy said:
    Can you run iOS apps on a Macbook Air M1? Like AUM, Drambo et-al (ie not the more expensive mac-apps)?

I have been experimenting with this for the last few weeks. I have been trying to find apps that work on both iOS and Mac so I can move Garageband projects over to the Mac once Iā€™m done with them on the iPad. Here is my list of apps so far which work in both:

Model 15
    AddStation
    Sunrizer
    Cube Synth Pro
    Mela 1/2

The problem I have found is that AUs other than Model 15 will randomly fail to start sometimes. In some apps the plugins and preset selections work but others you will need to manually pick the AU and preset once transferred.

My biggest find was that StaffPad will work on the Mac without paying again which means I can use it alongside Logic and more importantly means my investment in the app is not tied to the life of my non-desktop hardware.

I believe miRack and Drambo also work.

Not AU but there are some apps which will run standalone such as Mynth, Mellowsound, Wotja, genome MIDI and Nave. Nave was a nice find and falls into the category of app which looks like you will need to buy it again but the app store then tells you that you already own it. It doesnā€™t actually show up in the list of apps that you own for some reason so you have to go hunting. Careful with these - most of the ones I tried worked fine but I got caught out by iDensity and ended up paying for it again. I think the thing to look out for is whether the compatibility list contains just Mac or Mac+iThings.

I tried playing with the virtual audio device BlackHole as a (free) way of recording the output of Nave into Logic. It did work but caused other audio apps to crash on startup so I uninstalled it.

There are other apps which are on both iOS and desktop but require a separate desktop purchase. The presets are the same so you would be able to transfer a project if you were using them, e.g.

Syntronik - got this in the IKM sale
    Synthmasters - going to get the desktop version if it is reduced for Black Friday.
    Viking (sort of, there is an equivalent free VST of Viking with the same presets etc on the desktop)

• Iā€™m on MacOS Monterey, in the UK AppStore it doesnā€™t give the full list of Ipad-IPhone apps, sometimes it also lists them to purchase again has anyone else had this behaviour when searching the Mac AppStore?

• @knewspeak said:
    Iā€™m on MacOS Monterey, in the UK AppStore it doesnā€™t give the full list of Ipad-IPhone apps, sometimes it also lists them to purchase again has anyone else had this behaviour when searching the Mac AppStore?

Yep and when you click buy it says you already own it so itā€™s free.

• @cyberheater said:

@knewspeak said:
    Iā€™m on MacOS Monterey, in the UK AppStore it doesnā€™t give the full list of Ipad-IPhone apps, sometimes it also lists them to purchase again has anyone else had this behaviour when searching the Mac AppStore?

Yep and when you click buy it says you already own it so itā€™s free.

Thanks, I thought it would be but wasnā€™t sure, still surfing through a decadeā€™s purchases is a nightmare, but still canā€™t find Poly 2, might be because it was free and then an IAP to unlock.

• Yeah, there are a few like this. Nave and ModStep are hidden gems. Be careful though not to do that on the Mac side of the store as some devs have separate apps - I ended up purchasing iDensity again, for example.

• To everyone with a M1 MBA, do you experienced issues with thermal throttling? How complex are your projects? (VST's and Tracks)

• I use a M1 MBA since february, composing in Logic, theatre cues in Ableton Live, mixing in Pro Tools and Reaperā€¦ it is a really good computer, handles most tasks easily! Sometimes the Mac warms up after long sessions in Pro Tools (and I suspect some standard plugins to be badly optimised), but if your workflow is tight there is no reason to worry about throttling. Surely the new MacBooks have more power under the hood so they have more Ā«Ā headroomĀ Ā», nowadays we are lucky in terms of performance/portability of our devices!

• i just got the new MB PRO m1, and am having major issues with compatibility. really hoping the dev's catch up soon.

Can someone answer for me, when ableton eventually goes native m1, (beta now) will all of my intel plugins stop working in M1? right now some of them are working via rosetta as ableton is running rosetta, but im afraid i will lose them all upon native upgrade.

• If you want to use the fully optimized M1 version of Live, all your plug ins need to also be optimized for it. Otherwise the Rosetta version will continue to work fine with them.

I wouldnā€™t get too worried about what you see in the beta version of Live 11.1, the optimizations will get better. Iā€™m having issues with some of my AUs still in that as well.

• thanks @Tarekith . seems about less than half of my plugins are optimized for native so far. I was planning on trading in my older MB Pro, but looks like i'll be keeping it for a while longer

• Am I right in thinking that AUv3 plugins just donā€™t work at all in Ableton? I have a few that wonā€™t load (M1 Mac mini, Live 10), but that work great in Logic.

• @mistercharlie said:
    Am I right in thinking that AUv3 plugins just donā€™t work at all in Ableton? I have a few that wonā€™t load (M1 Mac mini, Live 10), but that work great in Logic.

I'm pretty sure that Live doesn't support AUv3 of any type. Of the major DAW like applications for the Mac the only one I know of that does is Reaper (outside of the Apple hosts which all do). The mini host "Hosting AU" does support AUv3.

• @NeonSilicon Thanks for the confirmation. At least Animoog Z has Ableton link. Iā€™ll just use it on the iPad and do it that way. Probably better anyway, thanks to the touch screen.

• edited November 2021

@shinyisshiny said:
    thanks @Tarekith . seems about less than half of my plugins are optimized for native so far. I was planning on trading in my older MB Pro, but looks like i'll be keeping it for a while longer

Don't need to wait for optimized. Just run Live using Rosetta and all plugins will work fine. I've been using Live with M1 since September with no issues.

• I have the 8Gb MacBook Air M1 a couple of weeks ago, very happy in general, but the battery is not what I expectedā€¦. Using Logic Pro consumes almost 20% every hour, browsing with Safari every 5-10 minutes drops 1%, even sending emails indicates that this application is consuming a lot of battery.

I don't know if it will be normal or I had too high expectations

• @gabal said:
    I have the 8Gb MacBook Air M1 a couple of weeks ago, very happy in general, but the battery is not what I expectedā€¦. Using Logic Pro consumes almost 20% every hour, browsing with Safari every 5-10 minutes drops 1%, even sending emails indicates that this application is consuming a lot of battery.

I don't know if it will be normal or I had too high expectations

Might want to compare to results found here ( https://hothardware.com/reviews/apple-macbook-pro-14-m1-pro-review?page=2 ) or on other sites. That seems like it could be a faulty battery, which Apple will usually replace for no charge. Check and compare first.

• edited November 2022

Anyone knows if Syntronik has to be purchased again on an M1 MBA if already owned on IOS?

Also anyone know if thereā€™s an updated list of apps that donā€™t need to be repurchased? Thanks!

• Iā€™m waiting on MB Air M2 Midnight 16GBā€¦.

Seems like the 8GB is everywhere, but I think Iā€™ll need 16GB for FinalCutProā€¦
    From what I understand the M2 does need cooling or have the throttling of the M1ā€¦

• @nerVe said:
    Iā€™m waiting on MB Air M2 Midnight 16GBā€¦.

Seems like the 8GB is everywhere, but I think Iā€™ll need 16GB for FinalCutProā€¦
    From what I understand the M2 does need cooling or have the throttling of the M1ā€¦

Can't say I've noticed any throttling on my M1 MacBook Air.

• @cyberheater said:

@nerVe said:
    Iā€™m waiting on MB Air M2 Midnight 16GBā€¦.

Can't say I've noticed any throttling on my M1 MacBook Air.

Nice! Congrats on the M1! Very capable machine!