Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ordered MacBook Air M1. Very excited 😆

Comments

• @ocelot said:
    For folks who bought a 2020 M1 Macbook Air with 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD, how is Rosetta working for you these days?

I've been without a laptop for a while, am a Windows user, and would be mostly using Ableton Live Suite 11 and Native Instruments Reaktor. Tempted by the new 14 and 16 MBPs, but I'm shopping for groceries on an empty stomach.

Get 16gb and 512gb for Air instead. I have that. Works great.

• @ocelot said:
    For folks who bought a 2020 M1 Macbook Air with 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD, how is Rosetta working for you these days?

I've been without a laptop for a while, am a Windows user, and would be mostly using Ableton Live Suite 11 and Native Instruments Reaktor. Tempted by the new 14 and 16 MBPs, but I'm shopping for groceries on an empty stomach.

I’m still very impressed with my M1 with 8Gb. I also run Windows via Parrallels VM and it runs great. I can even game on it. It’s an amazing machine.

• Thanks folks. NeuM and auxmux.

8gb, 256gb is sometimes $849 on Amazon. 8gb on Windows just isn't enough. 16gb, 512gb is $1449 on Apple. Hmm, thinking aloud here, but the difference would pay for the upgrade to Live 11 Suite.

@cyberheater said:
    I’m still very impressed with my M1 with 8Gb. I also run Windows via Parrallels VM and it runs great. I can even game on it. It’s an amazing machine.

Are you running the full version of Windows 10? Or is it the Windows 10 ARM Insider Preview version? Thank you.

• @cyberheater said:

@ocelot said:

Have you found any software not functioning in windows as it is an ARM preview version?

• @NeuM said:
    I now have an M1 iMac. Best version of the iMac (or any Mac) I’ve ever owned. It’s really, really fast.

I know it petty, but that white bezel kills me. I hope that doesnt crop up on the new airs as they are rumors to switch to colored options....

• @ocelot said:
    Thanks folks. NeuM and auxmux.

8gb, 256gb is sometimes $849 on Amazon. 8gb on Windows just isn't enough. 16gb, 512gb is $1449 on Apple. Hmm, thinking aloud here, but the difference would pay for the upgrade to Live 11 Suite.

@cyberheater said:

Are you running the full version of Windows 10? Or is it the Windows 10 ARM Insider Preview version? Thank you.

It says W10 Insider Preview. I guess it's ARM with built in rosetta.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@cyberheater said:

@ocelot said:

Have you found any software not functioning in windows as it is an ARM preview version?

Nope but I'm only running Steam and things like Word.

• edited October 2021

Its basically the version of WIndows on their Surface line.
    I know some larger stuff, like like some CAD programs, won't run on Surfaces, but I was just curious if you found any everyday things that don't.

• @cyberheater said:

@ocelot said:
    Thanks folks. NeuM and auxmux.

@cyberheater said:

It says W10 Insider Preview. I guess it's ARM with built in rosetta.

Thanks.

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    Its basically the version of WIndows on their Surface line.

Ah, I completely forgot that Microsoft's been making hardware for a few years.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@NeuM said:
    I now have an M1 iMac. Best version of the iMac (or any Mac) I’ve ever owned. It’s really, really fast.

I know it petty, but that white bezel kills me. I hope that doesnt crop up on the new airs as they are rumors to switch to colored options....

I know opinions vary, but the screen edge doesn’t bother me in the least now. It bothered me a bit from a distance, but when you’re sitting in front of it doing work, you don’t even notice it.

• @NeuM said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@NeuM said:

I know opinions vary, but the screen edge doesn’t bother me in the least now. It bothered me a bit from a distance, but when you’re sitting in front of it doing work, you don’t even notice it.

or.....

https://9to5mac.com/2021/04/26/dbrand-offers-skins-to-give-new-imac-black-bezels-or-a-fully-black-imac/

"If you wished Apple made a completely matte black iMac, then the company can make that wish come true too – at a price! $59.95 gets you a skin to cover the color on the front as well as the bezels. But if you also want to cover the back, sides and stand, you’re looking at an eye-watering $499.95."

LOLZ.

Discontinued now.....wonder why....

• Can you run iOS apps on a Macbook Air M1? Like AUM, Drambo et-al (ie not the more expensive mac-apps)?

• @eylvy said:
    Can you run iOS apps on a Macbook Air M1? Like AUM, Drambo et-al (ie not the more expensive mac-apps)?

Only, if the developer has allowed it to be run on there. Drambo and others do, but not all.

• @auxmux said:

@eylvy said:
    Can you run iOS apps on a Macbook Air M1? Like AUM, Drambo et-al (ie not the more expensive mac-apps)?

Only, if the developer has allowed it to be run on there. Drambo and others do, but not all.

And I believe if you want to run those as plugins, Logic is the only host that it works on. Somebody can correct me if I’ve got that wrong.

• @drez said:

@auxmux said:

@eylvy said:

And I believe if you want to run those as plugins, Logic is the only host that it works on. Somebody can correct me if I’ve got that wrong.

Reaper, MainStage, and GarageBand too.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@drez said:

@auxmux said:

@eylvy said:

Reaper, MainStage, and GarageBand too.

Cool, didn't know Reaper supported AUv3. Might have to try that.

• anybody know which apps run on desktop besides drambo? just ordered the new MB Pro, and got logic as well. Been a long time ableton + protools user, but need logic anyways for a project im working on. Would be nice to be able to use some iOS fav's.

• @shinyisshiny said:
    anybody know which apps run on desktop besides drambo? just ordered the new MB Pro, and got logic as well. Been a long time ableton + protools user, but need logic anyways for a project im working on. Would be nice to be able to use some iOS fav's.

Moog Model 15, Drambo, Sunrizer. They are the only ones I use. Don't know if there are others.

• @cyberheater said:

@shinyisshiny said:
    anybody know which apps run on desktop besides drambo? just ordered the new MB Pro, and got logic as well. Been a long time ableton + protools user, but need logic anyways for a project im working on. Would be nice to be able to use some iOS fav's.

Moog Model 15, Drambo, Sunrizer. They are the only ones I use. Don't know if there are others.

Is there a way knowing exactly if certain apps can run on a Mac? Making music is a main reason for getting one personally.

• edited October 2021

@eylvy said:

@cyberheater said:

@shinyisshiny said:

Is there a way knowing exactly if certain apps can run on a Mac? Making music is a main reason for getting one personally.

If you look at your apple account on the Mac app store there is a list of iPhone/iPad apps.
    Butz in general beside a few I gave up on this. A lot runs fine as standalone (but also not everything as good as on iOS) some are a crash fest as AUv3 inside Logic (like Drambo).
    Also Logic alone almost exceed everything I got with iOS.
    Of course there are a few unique synths I still miss but its more a thing of being used to it and on Mac you simple can get everything you ever want/need. Running multi-touch synths on Mac is anyway not as great as I thought.
    So at least for me I gave up to even try to run iOS tools on Mac.....only if they really are ported to Mac like the Model 15.
    Oh....I would like the Moog Model D and Animoog app as native port but it is not a must really.
    When it comes to synth and FX Logic covered it all indeed. If you want more there are of course a million third party tools available.
    There is also a desktop version of Sunrizer (I own it and like it) but I would not buy another Beepstreet desktop synth since he left it. Sad, since Dagger is still one of the most beefy mono synths out there and even with the analog filters inside Drambo, Dagger is still a level above.
    Long boring story...short answer is for me it is just not worth to wait for anything or try to run all iOS apps on Mac as long as they are not really "native" ports. It just ends in frustrating for me.
    So it should be seen really as just a bonus which might works but do not expect to run any of your iOS tools smooth and especially not as AUv3 inside Logic.

• @eylvy If the App Store says it's compatible, then it should run. At the bottom of the app page under Compatibility you'll see something like:

Mac
    Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a
    Mac with Apple M1 chip.

Bear in mind that using a trackpad/mouse to control apps designed for a touchscreen can be a real pain.

• @eylvy said:

@cyberheater said:

@shinyisshiny said:

There have been some issues running iOS AUv3's on macOS. This may be better now, I haven't been testing this for a few months now. The new version of macOS coming next week may make things better too.

I ended up porting my iOS AU's to macOS because of the crashing issues. But I don't distribute those through the app store. I have them directly off of my website. There's lots of other free and open source plugins available on the Mac that you can't get on iOS too.

• edited October 2021

@NeonSilicon said:

@eylvy said:

@cyberheater said:

@shinyisshiny said:

There have been some issues running iOS AUv3's on macOS. This may be better now, I haven't been testing this for a few months now. The new version of macOS coming next week may make things better too.

I ended up porting my iOS AU's to macOS because of the crashing issues. But I don't distribute those through the app store. I have them directly off of my website. There's lots of other free and open source plugins available on the Mac that you can't get on iOS too.

A solution to this is installing Audio Evolution Mobile Studio on the Mac. It's the only host that is able to run every iOS AUv3 unit on the Mac side, even those that doesn't work in Logic Pro.

All of that said, the feature to run iOS music apps on M1 Macs is overrated, and it has some serious limitations.

• The IAA audio protocol doesn't work, not even in Audio Evolution Mobile Studio. So there is no way of using things like FieldScaper in the effect slot, to use its loop features.

• Ableton Live doesn't support the AUv3 protocol yet, and I wasn't able to find an Audio Unit with hosting support for AUv3 units inside Ableton. Maybe in the future Blue Cat's PatchWork can solve this problem, if they implement the AUv3 protocol.

• A lot of iOS music apps have been designed with multitouch controls. And there is no way of using this feature with a mouse. It was disappointing to try something like MendelTone, and seeing that you can't make notes with two pads at the same time, defying the purpose of the app.

• @Pynchon said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@eylvy said:

@cyberheater said:

@shinyisshiny said:

A solution to this is installing Audio Evolution Mobile Studio on the Mac. It's the only host that is able to run every iOS AUv3 unit on the Mac side, even those that doesn't work in Logic Pro.

I didn't think there were any AUv3 type that Logic couldn't run. The issues I was thinking about was the UI crashes that happened with every iOS AUv3 on any host on the Mac that can run AUv3 plugins.

I haven't looked at the Audio Evolution studio solution. I'll take a look at that.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@Pynchon said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@eylvy said:

@cyberheater said:

@shinyisshiny said:

I didn't think there were any AUv3 type that Logic couldn't run. The issues I was thinking about was the UI crashes that happened with every iOS AUv3 on any host on the Mac that can run AUv3 plugins.

I haven't looked at the Audio Evolution studio solution. I'll take a look at that.

In my experience, after purchasing a MacBook Air M1 two weeks ago, every AUv3 unit that I have tried to load listed in the iOS store as not tested on Mac, it hasn't loaded correctly into Logic Pro, with the exceptions of Drambo, Moog Model 15 and BB17 Binaural Auv3 Synth. But Moog Model 15 and BB17 worked without problems in my Intel Mac because they are listed also as Mac apps in the App Store.

Other complete different story is Audio Evolution Mobile Studio. All the AUv3 units listed in the iOS store as not tested on Mac, like Fractal Bits, they have loaded correctly inside the app.

If you use a combo of Loopback plus Audio Evolution Mobile Studio, it's feasible to route the audio inside Logic Pro or Ableton Live.

Not related to this topic, but it will be great if you create Audio Unit versions of your apps, so they can be loaded inside Ableton Live. CuSnP is one of my favourite effects :smile:

• @Pynchon said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@Pynchon said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@eylvy said:

@cyberheater said:

@shinyisshiny said:

In my experience, after purchasing a MacBook Air M1 two weeks ago, every AUv3 unit that I have tried to load listed in the iOS store as not tested on Mac, it hasn't loaded correctly into Logic Pro, with the exceptions of Drambo, Moog Model 15 and BB17 Binaural Auv3 Synth. But Moog Model 15 and BB17 worked without problems in my Intel Mac because they are listed also as Mac apps in the App Store.

Looks like I need to go and do some more testing. I don't understand making your AU available on the Mac without some extensive testing. It opens you up to all sorts of support issues that would be hard to deal with. This whole idea by Apple was weird to me.

Other complete different story is Audio Evolution Mobile Studio. All the AUv3 units listed in the iOS store as not tested on Mac, like Fractal Bits, they have loaded correctly inside the app.

If you use a combo of Loopback plus Audio Evolution Mobile Studio, it's feasible to route the audio inside Logic Pro or Ableton Live.

Interesting. It's been a really long time since I played with the Rogue Amoeba stuff. I'll have to go look at what they have again.

Not related to this topic, but it will be great if you create Audio Unit versions of your apps, so they can be loaded inside Ableton Live. CuSnP is one of my favourite effects :smile:

Thanks! Ableton has always been a bit of a pain for me and keeping up with supporting Apple's plugin formats. I think that if I were to try to add support for Live that I would do it through VST instead. Does Live support VST3?

• @NeonSilicon said:

@Pynchon said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@Pynchon said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@eylvy said:

@cyberheater said:

@shinyisshiny said:

Looks like I need to go and do some more testing. I don't understand making your AU available on the Mac without some extensive testing. It opens you up to all sorts of support issues that would be hard to deal with. This whole idea by Apple was weird to me.

Interesting. It's been a really long time since I played with the Rogue Amoeba stuff. I'll have to go look at what they have again.

Thanks! Ableton has always been a bit of a pain for me and keeping up with supporting Apple's plugin formats. I think that if I were to try to add support for Live that I would do it through VST instead. Does Live support VST3?

Yeah! Ableton Live supports VST3, in addition to Audio Units.

But honestly, if you're going for the VST3 route, better wait a few weeks until the M1 native version of Ableton Live 11 is out of beta.

Audio Units aren't problematic, they can be loaded in its Intel versions inside the M1 native version of Ableton Live 11. But this M1 version can only run VST3 plugins compiled for the M1 architecture.

Other advantage of using VST3 is that in this way, they will also work under Bitwig, which doesn't support Audio Units.

After playing these weeks with the demo versions of Logic Pro and Ableton Live 11, I have decided that Logic Pro is not for me, while Ableton Live works much better with my workflow.

Indeed, Ableton Live 11 has become my iOS DAW. I'm using AUM together with Studiomux to make my Mac IAC virtual MIDI buses visible on AUM. And using Ableton Live 11 for sequencing and automation inside AUM, using a timeline.

It works much more better than any iOS DAW, I can finally midi map any AUV3 parameter.

I can even put a Studiomux bus inside the master channel of Ableton Live 11, to send its sound into AUM. So I can mix Mac and iOS instruments in a same track. And Studiomux works flawlessly by connecting the iPad Pro to my Macbook Air via an USB-C cable.

• edited October 2021

As an alternative to Loopback, check out Existential Audio Blackhole. It's free and supports virtual audio cards up to 64 channels. I've been using it with VCV to route audio into Ableton, and it works really well.

• I thought Ableton had released m1 update already? Guess that was beta announcement I saw.
    I want to see how the new performance is!

I’m debating right now between getting a 16gb air or save a little more and for the new 14” pro
    Need to wait and see how the new pro performs in real world first, has no heat or fan issues etc.
    Also only 2 ports on M1Air kind of scares me haha. I’ve been a iMac guy for too long.

• @Pynchon said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@Pynchon said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@Pynchon said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@eylvy said:

@cyberheater said:

@shinyisshiny said:

Yeah! Ableton Live supports VST3, in addition to Audio Units.

But honestly, if you're going for the VST3 route, better wait a few weeks until the M1 native version of Ableton Live 11 is out of beta.

Audio Units aren't problematic, they can be loaded in its Intel versions inside the M1 native version of Ableton Live 11. But this M1 version can only run VST3 plugins compiled for the M1 architecture.

Other advantage of using VST3 is that in this way, they will also work under Bitwig, which doesn't support Audio Units.

After playing these weeks with the demo versions of Logic Pro and Ableton Live 11, I have decided that Logic Pro is not for me, while Ableton Live works much better with my workflow.

Indeed, Ableton Live 11 has become my iOS DAW. I'm using AUM together with Studiomux to make my Mac IAC virtual MIDI buses visible on AUM. And using Ableton Live 11 for sequencing and automation inside AUM, using a timeline.

It works much more better than any iOS DAW, I can finally midi map any AUV3 parameter.

I can even put a Studiomux bus inside the master channel of Ableton Live 11, to send its sound into AUM. So I can mix Mac and iOS instruments in a same track. And Studiomux works flawlessly by connecting the iPad Pro to my Macbook Air via an USB-C cable.

It's good to know that Live does VST3. I have several DAW's I can use to test VST3 plugins with. One of the reasons that I'm thinking about VST3 is that their SDK allows for wrapping to other formats too and that could be useful. I also want to try out getting some VST compiled for Linux and BSD to test with. I'll probably give it a try in the not-to-distant future.