Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Wotja 21

123457»

Comments

• @impete said:
    Assuming we get the app variants approved on time, we're hoping to put Wotja 22 on pre-order around the 14th - so a feature list will be available at that point.

We're hoping to give early bird discount for a week or two, as a thank you to the Wotja fans who are happy to take the plunge early.

I'm optimistic enough to think that when you see the feature list, it's going to be a no-brainer! :smile:

Best wishes,

Pete

New Wotja variant is exciting and all... but are the Christmas Friends out yet this year?

• @cooksferryqueen well remembered, and yes of course - they're on the stairs ready to go. I just need to dig-out some fresh batteries :smile:

Best wishes,

Pete

• @impete said:
    Hi @craftycurate, without hyperbole (!), this is the "biggest" update we've ever pulled-together for Wotja. If you don't find this update essential ... frankly I'd be amazed :grin:

Best wishes, Pete

I look forward to it :)

• @impete said:
    @god once or twice, but we try to avoid it TBH!

There are a couple however, if you look for them... here is one:

https://palmsounds.net/2016/12/31/lets-finish-off-2016-in-generative-fashion-an-interview-with-tim-from-intermorphic/

The history of development of Wotja is kind of ... complicated (!) ... due to the twists and turns taken from starting-off SSEYO, through to getting acquired by Tao Group, through to resetting with our fresh start at Intermorphic. I guess that the various twists and turns have made it what it is!

Here is just one random thing... did you know that a box copy of SSEYO Koan Pro is part of the collection at the Science Museum in London?!

https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/objects/co8238736/koan-pro-generative-music-making-computer-software-software

Best wishes,

Pete

Filed proudly beside: :)

• @impete said:

https://palmsounds.net/2016/12/31/lets-finish-off-2016-in-generative-fashion-an-interview-with-tim-from-intermorphic/

The history of development of Wotja is kind of ... complicated (!) ... due to the twists and turns taken from starting-off SSEYO, through to getting acquired by Tao Group, through to resetting with our fresh start at Intermorphic. I guess that the various twists and turns have made it what it is!

Here is just one random thing... did you know that a box copy of SSEYO Koan Pro is part of the collection at the Science Museum in London?!

https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/objects/co8238736/koan-pro-generative-music-making-computer-software-software

Best wishes,

Pete

Wow! That’s amazing!> @jonmoore said:

@impete said:

Best wishes,

Pete

Filed proudly beside: :)

😂 😆 😝

• edited December 2021

Casio CZ 101, Speak N Spell, Stylophone and Cubase 3.0 for Atari ST are all in my personal collection too (inclusive of the Atari ST) but I still dream of one day owning a VCS 3! :)

Them were the days...

• And really glad to see a couple of other British synthesis classics in the collection. The Cheetah MS6 and the EDP Wasp with it’s iconic membrane keyboard.

• A still I took from a video at the time at the Onamics exhibition. My recollection that there was 1 cabinet with 3 items of software in them. And SSEYO had created two of them! The other box you might recognise was Generative Music 1 by Brian Eno (feature Koan software), which we co-published with Opal Arts. Happy days! The screen I think is from a Fairlight!

• @jonmoore so cool the see the Stylophone!

My very earliest experiments with ideas for Koan were on the Atari ST, which I bought because it had a MIDI interface (so ahead of its time...) that I used in conjunction with a MIDI-capable keyboard loaded to my by one of my wife's work colleagues.

The real impetus for kicking-off Koan was the conjunction of a few things. The arrival of high-quality PC sound cards (the Roland SCC1 was where I started; the Creative Labs SoundFont capable cards were huge for us thereafter); and decent C++ compilers (I started with Borland 5/6, and then moved to Microsoft Visual C++ around version 1.5 or thereabouts).

Believe it or not (as they say): because Tim and I lived in different locations in the UK, we shared our developments initially via floppy disk, and then mostly via the early dial-up modems. I seem to recall 2400, and certainly then 4800 kbps, and then 9600... every change through 14400 etc. made a huge difference, especially for offsite-backups that we used to exchange!

Extraordinary to think that the Wotja source code is now more than half a million lines of C++, and I have a Giga-bit connection to my home office!

Pete

• @impete said:

Believe it or not (as they say): because Tim and I lived in different locations in the UK, we shared our developments initially via floppy disk, and then mostly via the early dial-up modems. I seem to recall 2400, and certainly then 4800 kbps, and then 9600... every change through 14400 etc. made a huge difference, especially for offsite-backups that we used to exchange!

I love this! The arrival of modems must have been a massive boon. I remember using dialup with BBSes (Amiga, sorry ST guys :p ) and all of that fiddling with protocols and baud rates.

• As we reminisce while waiting for the big reveal, let’s also not forget the Koan Compuserve forum. My first experience of an online community in the era before the www. And hugely important to the early development of Koan. The fact you could share mixes in just a couple of Kb was revolutionary when you were on dial-up 😄

• @impete

Looking forward to your latest update. It’s rare to find a boutique software creator with a lineage to goes so far back when it comes to electroacoustics. Sadly in most cases, the businesses haven't proved to be sustainable but you've managed not only to stay in business, but you constantly innovate and evolve on the genus of Koan SSEYO. Much as they're very different products, I think you can still get a sense of the Koan linage in Wotja.

I remixed Roxy Music (2HB) a few years back for a limited edition vinyl-only release and it was great fun recreating all of the Eno tape loop fx for the middle section. I've been thinking of doing something similar with generative music elements if the right remix comes along.

• @impete said:

Not only that, but if you scroll down to the Download pane at bottom right on the page you can put a copy in Animal Crossing. (It looks awful because there aren't enough pixels. But my daughter has just successfully wallpapered an entire room in Welbank boilerettes. A visitor just arrived and said "I love the atmosphere!") There's enough images to install an entire Oramics studio on your island.

• @UMCorps said:
    As we reminisce while waiting for the big reveal, let’s also not forget the Koan Compuserve forum.

Blimey - a blast from the past there :smile:

• @jonmoore said:
    I remixed Roxy Music (2HB) a few years back for a limited edition vinyl-only release

Wow, that is very smooth! :smile:

Pete

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    I love this! The arrival of modems must have been a massive boon. I remember using dialup with BBSes (Amiga, sorry ST guys :p ) and all of that fiddling with protocols and baud rates.

Times have certainly improved for the better! But, it is amazing in retrospect just how much could be achieved with much slower internet connections.

Of course, both the binaries and the code base are very much larger now, and I really think that the ever-faster Internet (and much of what has come with it, including App Stores) has allowed us to continue to evolve as a "boutique" developer over the years.

Pete

• edited December 2021

With the iOS/macOS/tvOS versions of Wotja 22 all approved by Apple, we're definitely going ahead tomorrow with the "full reveal" of Wotja 22.

Wotja 22 is a very big update for us, and has been in full-scale development since March. I genuinely hope that what we've added, will help to boost general interest in the wonderful world of generative music.

It has taken a long time to shake everything down in this update, as we've had a lot of things to tweak to get it all "feel right". Wotja keeps on getting more complicated both to develop, and often to use :smile: but I hope that the new features are easy to understand and get to grips with if you're an experienced Wotja user!

As for the roll-out: we'll start with one of our very rare Blog posts on our site (https://intermorphic.com/blog/), and we'll create a new forum thread on this forum. We also make the Apple versions available for pre-sale for those who might be interested in an "early bird" deal.

It'll be interesting as always to read what you all think, and what you might like to see in future!

Best wishes,

Pete

• @impete said:
    With the iOS/macOS/tvOS versions of Wotja 22 all approved by Apple, we're definitely going ahead tomorrow with the "full reveal" of Wotja 22.

Wotja 22 is a very big update for us, and has been in full-scale development since March. I genuinely hope that what we've added, will help to boost general interest in the wonderful world of generative music.

It has taken a long time to shake everything down in this update, as we've had a lot of things to tweak to get it all "feel right". Wotja keeps on getting more complicated both to develop, and often to use :smile: but I hope that the new features are easy to understand and get to grips with if you're an experienced Wotja user!

As for the roll-out: we'll start with one of our very rare Blog posts on our site (https://intermorphic.com/blog/), and we'll create a new forum thread on this forum. We also make the Apple versions available for pre-sale for those who might be interested in an "early bird" deal.

It'll be interesting as always to read what you all think, and what you might like to see in future!

Best wishes,

Pete

Thanks, Pete. This all sounds fantastic and very exciting!

• @impete Looking forward to the update. It’s been a while since I’ve used Wotja, and I’m curious if you’ve made any modifications to the UI in which there might be a Beginner, Intermediate and Expert User mode.

These settings would offer progressively more exposure to the UI parameters.

I would imagine that a Beginner mode would give you exposure 10 to 15 parameters which would help one dial in the track that was evolving before them.

I assume that since it’s auv3, all or some of the major parameters are exposed so one could use something like AUM or Drambo to select which parameters to expose in the UI so a user could focus on just the essentials of what they care about tweaking and noodling with.

Congrats on the continued development of Wotja. It is truly a magical box of infinite possibilities. Can’t wait to grab it.

Cheers!!👊🏼™️💕

• @echoopera said:
    @impete Looking forward to the update. It’s been a while since I’ve used Wotja, and I’m curious if you’ve made any modifications to the UI in which there might be a Beginner, Intermediate and Expert User mode.

Hi! This is something we've tinkered with in the past, but haven't fully teased out the issues.

We might yet revisit this area at some point, but we have a lot on our plate... we never stop, it seems!

Congrats on the continued development of Wotja. It is truly a magical box of infinite possibilities. Can’t wait to grab it.

Thank you very much :smile:

Best wishes,

Pete

• edited December 2021

@impete said:

@echoopera said:
    @impete Looking forward to the update. It’s been a while since I’ve used Wotja, and I’m curious if you’ve made any modifications to the UI in which there might be a Beginner, Intermediate and Expert User mode.

Hi! This is something we've tinkered with in the past, but haven't fully teased out the issues.

We might yet revisit this area at some point, but we have a lot on our plate... we never stop, it seems!

I can only imagine. Just out of curiosity, are any Parameters exposed in the auv3 version of Wotja? If so, a user might be able to configure exactly what they want to tweak. Not sure if this is better, but maybe if you only exposed some primary Parameters at the top, and allowed the user to drill in to more esoteric controls...

Here are some examples of the type of Parameters which are exposed for some auv3 synths and effects in Drambo:

I'm just looking for a way to easily manipulate specific parameters like:
    Scale
    Chords
    Arp Playback Speed
    Chance
    Humanizer
    Playback Direction
    Tempo
    Cutoff

and similar controls...but only see those controls in a HUD of some sort (which Drambo allows one to assign to a knob in its native UI). I hope this makes sense...reduce complexity of the UI to just the 5-10 things I care about 80% of the time. :)

Support for Macros natively, or via the Parameters auv3 exposure in apps like Drambo and AUM if you will :smiley:

Cheers!

Thank you very much :smile:

Best wishes,

Pete

• @echoopera said:
    I can only imagine. Just out of curiosity, are any Parameters exposed in the auv3 version of Wotja?

Short answer: alas, no.

We're asked about this from time-to-time.

The basic reason is that Wotja mixes are too complex and open-ended to allow for that approach. Or maybe I've yet to figure out a solution! It might surprise you that Wotja is more than half-a-million lines of code, and that is a lot to keep my head around ... :wink:

Best wishes,

Pete

• edited December 2021

@impete said:

@echoopera said:
    I can only imagine. Just out of curiosity, are any Parameters exposed in the auv3 version of Wotja?

Short answer: alas, no.

We're asked about this from time-to-time.

The basic reason is that Wotja mixes are too complex and open-ended to allow for that approach. Or maybe I've yet to figure out a solution! It might surprise you that Wotja is more than half-a-million lines of code, and that is a lot to keep my head around ... :wink:

Best wishes,

Pete

Hahah...yeah...kind of nuts. Would MidiLearn be an option? That way a user could manually select what they wanted to always have access to control wise in their setups?

Or maybe start with a Short List of Parameters you know users access 80% of the time. I want the AUTO Parameter view in Wotja at some stage so I can control things in a live manner, without diving in to cognitive overload each time I open the app.

Not sure if you have any instrumentation on that based on how different users manipulate their setups.

Maybe give Mister Eno a ring or have him on a Zoom call for some insight :wink:

The question I always ask, when using Wotja is, "How can I reduce complexity when I'm jamming...how do I achieve that flow state, and make minor tweaks which have major effect on the music being made..."

I know it's a rather broad question, but that's where my brain invariably ends up...

Looking forward to Wotja 22!!

• Can anyone help me understand how the Scale Rules and the Next Note Rules interact? And what they do that is different from each other? I’m struggling a bit to fully understand that. They seem to do a version of the same thing, but also affect each other. Very confusing!

• edited February 2022

[deleted reply; question already answered better by @impete in the newer thread.]