Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Wotja 21

Comments

• I had all their apps on iOS and Mac, just when getting into Noatikl and Lua, they came up with this Wotja- thing. Which initially was HORRIBLE, so many bugs OMG, and with versions locked to calendar years. They can release whatever they like, I will never touch any app on any system made by them.

• thanks @craftycurate I'll update this thread if I find anything. Hopefully, something exists outside of Facebook.

Really enjoying Wotja but need a place to see FAQs and ask some silly noob questions :D

• I generally have no idea what I am doing in Wotja, but am almost always very pleased with my happy accidents.

• edited January 2021

@drewinnit said:
    thanks @craftycurate I'll update this thread if I find anything. Hopefully, something exists outside of Facebook.

Really enjoying Wotja but need a place to see FAQs and ask some silly noob questions :D

Feel free to ask ... I'm slowly working through its complexities so I can begin to harness its power better. Wotja's conceptual framework is unlike anything else I've ever worked in, which sometimes makes it difficult to transfer knowledge from similar systems, and many functions and details are still mysterious to me.

But at the same time, I've been slowly chipping away at it, digging into one area at a time to see what it brings to the whole.

There are others such as @Masanga who have used it for a while and often have useful insights.

A great way to get going is to find a mix you like in the FLOW tab, save it as a MIX file, then open it in the editor. Unfortunately you can't just edit a FLOW mix directly but have to save it and open it in the MIXES section.

When editing a mix, try soloing one track, and then making tweaks by changing parameters. That's how I got a feel for many of the functions and parameters. Find a bit that's interesting, and try to change it.

The manual is comprehensive, but it can be a bit hard to understand a times, as it's more of a technical reference than a tutorial for new users, so I find it makes sense if you already know some things, which can make it hard to get going initially.

The manual really needs a glossary, as it often doesn't explain what the terms mean, which is a bit frustrating, but it's worth persevering.

So ask away, and hopefully we can help get you going.

• Yes, there used to be a forum on their website, but GDPR made it too much hassle to keep up and many of the old crowd have ended up here, including the devs (hi, @impete). There was a big update to the manual today that now explains some of the ongoing flurry of new features; well worth digging into, but there is a lot of it and there are plenty of fans here who'll be happy to help navigate the rabbit-holes within rabbit-holes.

• Thank you @craftycurate and @Masanga

Great to hear there's an update to the manual. I'll ask any questions in this thread. cheers!

• edited January 2021

Edit: question retracted.....just found the Randomisation Settings in Flow....mind blown!

Previously I was getting very same-y sounding mixes, now I’m adding more templates to randomisation and getting more variety :)

• Not sure if this is a bug, or if I’m doing it incorrectly.

Previously, i could easily change the Scale Rule and Harmony Rule and the change would stick. Now, when I change them....it reverts back to the Default setting immediately.

Short video demonstrating the issue:
    https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZQyPmXZx5h7Wm9Nw7pePOjkjJxdSBlRPQmk

Is there another setting which would prevent these Rules changing from default?

• @craftycurate said:

@drewinnit said:
    I took the plunge and subscribed for a month to see if I would click with Wotja....enjoying it a lot so far, the pro features really add a lot

can anyone tell me if there's a forum or online community specifically about Wotja? I couldn't see anything official on the Intermorphic website

I have a vague memory of previous discussion about this - in the days of Mixtikl and some of the other older apps which merged to form Wotja, there was a thriving community apparently, but I remember it being said that this wasn't as active nowadays as it had been. If someone else knows better please do share.

I'm not aware of any currently active forum or community devoted to Wotja but would be happy to be wrong as it would help to get into some of the more complex and powerful features.

I've been wondering about the existence of an active Wotja community for a couple of years now. Haven't found one yet, and I've looked. I believe none exists. Prove me wrong please.

• @drewinnit said:
    Not sure if this is a bug, or if I’m doing it incorrectly.

Previously, i could easily change the Scale Rule and Harmony Rule and the change would stick. Now, when I change them....it reverts back to the Default setting immediately.

Yes, you're not going mad – this is a really confusing feature that came in with the introduction of Mix-level Rules in mid-2020. The only such Rule that is actually recognised at Mix level is the Default Rule; all others are simply there so that you can set them once and then cascade them down the hierarchy to individual Cells or Generators. The workaround is simply to edit the Default rule itself; you can always use Copy and Paste to create a copy of the original Default rule if you want to remember what you changed the settings from.

• edited January 2021

@god said:

@craftycurate said:

@drewinnit said:
    I took the plunge and subscribed for a month to see if I would click with Wotja....enjoying it a lot so far, the pro features really add a lot

can anyone tell me if there's a forum or online community specifically about Wotja? I couldn't see anything official on the Intermorphic website

I have a vague memory of previous discussion about this - in the days of Mixtikl and some of the other older apps which merged to form Wotja, there was a thriving community apparently, but I remember it being said that this wasn't as active nowadays as it had been. If someone else knows better please do share.

I'm not aware of any currently active forum or community devoted to Wotja but would be happy to be wrong as it would help to get into some of the more complex and powerful features.

I've been wondering about the existence of an active Wotja community for a couple of years now. Haven't found one yet, and I've looked. I believe none exists. Prove me wrong please.

I think the last archived version of the old forum is this one. (Noatikl rather than Wotja was the flagship app of the suite in those days, so that was where most of the action was before the whole lot were integrated into the Wotja mega-app.) But so much has happened since 2016 that only the cell-level music engine (which is basically what Noatikl was) is still recognisable.

• edited January 2021

@Masanga said:

@drewinnit said:

Yes, you're not going mad – this is a really confusing feature that came in with the introduction of Mix-level Rules in mid-2020. The only such Rule that is actually recognised at Mix level is the Default Rule; all others are simply there so that you can set them once and then cascade them down the hierarchy to individual Cells or Generators. The workaround is simply to edit the Default rule itself; you can always use Copy and Paste to create a copy of the original Default rule if you want to remember what you changed the settings from.

thanks for your reply

I was certain that just a few days ago I was successfully setting non-Default rules for both Scale and Harmony...maybe I was confused

To ensure I understand this properly: When I create a Mix, there is no way for me to quickly set a scale that affects all Cells/Tracks/Templates?

Instead, I have to open the Default Scale Rule in the Mix Properties panel and edit it from scratch?

That seems extremely counterintuitive...why have Scale Rules if you can't apply them?

Does this also mean that any Scale Rules I create at lower levels (ie Cell Properties panel) are ignored if the Mix Panel Scale Rule is at default?

• @Masanga said:

@god said:

@craftycurate said:

@drewinnit said:

I think the last archived version of the old forum is this one. (Noatikl rather than Wotja was the flagship app of the suite in those days, so that was where most of the action was before the whole lot were integrated into the Wotja mega-app.) But so much has happened since 2016 that only the cell-level music engine (which is basically what Noatikl was) is still recognisable.

Oh wow, an old archived community. Will check it out, thanks!

• edited January 2021

@drewinnit said:

@Masanga said:

@drewinnit said:

thanks for your reply

I was certain that just a few days ago I was successfully setting non-Default rules for both Scale and Harmony...maybe I was confused

To ensure I understand this properly: When I create a Mix, there is no way for me to quickly set a scale that affects all Cells/Tracks/Templates?

Instead, I have to open the Default Scale Rule in the Mix Properties panel and edit it from scratch?

That seems extremely counterintuitive...why have Scale Rules if you can't apply them?

Counterintuitive is right, but it's not as bad as it sounds; you can very quickly change the Mix-level Default Scale Rule via the Use Standard Rule Value command under the Action menu at bottom right, which will present you with a menu of 42 of the most useful scales and chords. Tap on any of those and the Default Rule will set itself to all the values of that scale or chord with the probability bars at 100%, and then you can further adjust the probabilities manually if desired.

Does this also mean that any Scale Rules I create at lower levels (ie Cell Properties panel) are ignored if the Mix Panel Scale Rule is at default?

No, the Rules cascade, so a Scale Rule set at Cell level will overrride the Mix-level Scale Rule unless you tell it to use Default or the Random Mix Rule setting. It makes sense once it makes sense!

• Thank you @Masanga !
    That’s very helpful, especially with the visuals.. counterintuitive, but not as bad as I feared :)
    I understood the hierarchy backwards, too...your tips have saved me a lot of confusion.

• @Masanga The UI always puts me off, but I did like Mixt a thousand years ago and am now very interested in text-to-speech generally which the new version of this boasts. Any feedback on how you find it?

• edited January 2021

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @Masanga The UI always puts me off, but I did like Mixt a thousand years ago and am now very interested in text-to-speech generally which the new version of this boasts. Any feedback on how you find it?

Yes, it's a bit of a work in progress and has both limitations and bugs at this stage, but the potential is huge. There was some discussion of this in the New Year Wotja thread; like the other text features it sounds as if it's going to be a bit marginal to most people's use cases, but I've been surprised how well it integrates. It arrives alongside some major enhancements to the text-generation feature that now make it possible to create much more complex kinds of randomised text, including selection from random fixed phrases of arbitrary length and generation of utterances with wild cards Mad Libs-style, in an enormous range of different voices. (The available selection is different between iOS and desktop; the iOS set is bigger and mostly better, but there's a particularly lovely if mislabelled Scots English one on Mac desktop only.) I think the free version still has all the text-to-speech features unlocked, so you can have a twiddle with that and see whether it looks like it's for you before deciding to splash.

Whisper it, but I really like Wotja's interface. (No no, hear me out…) As another who originally got into Intermorphic apps when they first ported Mixtikl to iOS, when I look back at the UI from even a couple of years ago I wonder how I ever put up with it. (Remember when all the sliders were knobs? How did we live with that?) But not only have they incrementally improved the general aesthetics and UI design over the years, and managed to combine the completely disparate interfaces of four radically different apps (Noatikl, Mixtikl, Liptikl, and the original Wotja) in a well thought-out integrated view, but I genuinely can't think of another iOS app that implements split-screen as well, particularly given the staggering complexity of its feature set and the number of affordances crammed into the main view. The sound engine UI may not give Mapping Tonal Harmony a run for its money graphics-wise, but its visualisation of a complex modular hybrid synth network as a linear left-to-right signal flow is one of the most intuitive out there. And of course it has its own basic-but-effective generative visualiser you can slap over the whole thing when you're not actually editing, and if you just stay in Flow mode you can get away without looking at the main UI at all, though you do miss most of the fun that way.

• edited January 2021

@Masanga I appreciate your generous response, along with your evident appreciation of the beast :) I have bought it (because tomorrow's Sunday after all) and will cautiously have a nose about. Is there a video tut you found of use when starting out or is it more a matter of picking up the machete of infinite courage and simply having a hack away? Thanks again.

• edited January 2021

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @Masanga ... is it more a matter of picking up the machete of infinite courage ...

The Machete of Infinite courage is a Legendary weapon which only drops when you kill the final boss, and take his throne in the Palace of complete understanding, with the Spoonful the Hound at your side.

But back to your question ... I'm still trying to patch together a mental framework for the app, but it does involve hacking away a bit at a time. The manual is great for digging deeper once you know the app a bit, but there isn't a lot of Quickstart type of info.

• edited January 2021

@craftycurate said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @Masanga ... is it more a matter of picking up the machete of infinite courage ...

The Machete of Infinite courage is a Legendary weapon which only drops when you kill the final boss, and take his throne in the Palace of complete understanding, with the Spoonful the Hound at your side.

But back to your question ... I'm still trying to patch together a mental framework for the app, but it does involve hacking away a bit at a time. The manual is great for digging deeper once you know the app a bit, but there isn't a lot of Quickstart type of info.

SPOONFUL THE HOUND! I have one of those :)

• Hi folks

In case anybody out there is interested, I've ported AudioKit core to Android and Windows, and have integrated that code into the Wotja Synth / Effects engine.

So, we're working now to start bringing AudioKit units into Wotja moving forwards. I've already got the Ladder Filter working in our internal builds - it was pretty easy to add.

Of course, we've shared our porting changes back with the AudioKit team - I hope they'll merge them back to their main repository at some point!

Best wishes to all,

Pete

• edited January 2021

O.
    M.
    G.

And there was I thinking that the SWAM release was untoppable as the biggest news of the month. This is absolutely transformative, not just for Wotja but for the whole community. Huge congratulations; can't wait to fiddle with these units in Wotja, and Android users are going to be over the moon.

• Thanks. Well, spread the word if you can :)

Pete

• In fact, our Beta testers had their first drop of the first AudioKit unit in Wotja, earlier today :)

Pete

• @Masanga said:
    O.
    M.
    G.

And there was I thinking that the SWAM release was untoppable as the biggest news of the month. This is absolutely transformative, not just for Wotja but for the whole community. Huge congratulations; can't wait to fiddle with these units in Wotja, and Android users are going to be over the moon.

Palpable excitement there :) What fires you up about this for everyday slow users? :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Masanga said:
    O.
    M.
    G.

Palpable excitement there :) What fires you up about this for everyday slow users? :)

Two things: it means basically the Wotja hybrid synth network (which already includes wavetable, subtractive, granular, and FM synths alongside a port of MI Braids) can now use the entire AudioKit suite of units as well – in effect, SynthOne inside Wotja. But it also expands AudioKit to Windows & Android – the latter of which in particular is a real milestone, given how starved the Android space is of quality synth apps.

@impete may or may not wish to release, or to let me repost, the list of AK units that came with this morning's beta build (there's been another since), or to say how many are on the list, but it's… big. I mean, you may think that it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is.

• @Masanga well, you've seen the full list :) but I'd rather not share it with the world at large!

Our plan is that I'll work my way through them in time, and we'll release what we can when we're ready to do it. There is a lot to keep me busy there, to say the least. We're going to stage units into future Wotja updates, and we've got a particular order we're going to look at.... some items might take a lot of work, some might not turn out to be feasible in terms of performance or might just take a very long time to create UI for, but it's going to be fun trying.

Of course, every unit no matter how humble, offers new possibilities in terms of patch designs: because as you know, you can combine FX in all sorts of weird and wonderful ways in Wotja. Every unit added, opens up a world of possibilities when you're dealing with a modular synth. I've already heard some amazing stuff using the Ladder Filter within Wotja from Mark Harrop (who is a genius at sound design, to be fair!).

Best wishes to all,

Pete

• Android - I don't really know, but certainly had a feeling Android was a bit light on apps like Wotja. We had this review comment on Wotja Pro 21 (Google Play Store) "Class! How can an app be this deep. Its like it should need a high powered computer but it works flawlesssly! Thanks guys :D" ... which was nice!

• sounds like some great news! looking forward to it!

• @impete said:
    Android - I don't really know, but certainly had a feeling Android was a bit light on apps like Wotja. We had this review comment on Wotja Pro 21 (Google Play Store) "Class! How can an app be this deep. Its like it should need a high powered computer but it works flawlesssly! Thanks guys :D" ... which was nice!

I look forward to your release and my subsequent discovery of these modules. :)