Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Wotja 21

Comments

• @UMCorps said:
    Longish post

I’ve been thinking about easier and hopefully more interesting ways to create rhythmic beds in Wotja. It’s at a very early stage but I thought it might be worth sharing where things are at and to see what interest there might be in pursuing this concept.

What I’m thinking is that, rather than going down the traditional route with sample based drum voicings where you have one drum sound per key, instead you have one drum per preset. What I mean is that, inside a sound font you have a range of presets each of which is a single drum voice. So once you select a given preset, regardless of which midi note you play, you always hear the same drum voice.

The point of doing it this way is that notes don’t matter any more. The only thing that matters is the note duration, ie the rhythmic pattern.

So, instead of the currently rather involved way of creating beats in Wotja, (forcing voices to play specific notes ) you can simply focus on the rhythmic behaviour of each voice and build up percussive patterns from there.

This also means you can take a more stochastic approach using TTM, Rhythmic, Follows and Repeat voice types to generate shifting, evolving percussive accompaniments rather than wrangling pattern voices.

To do this you need to author soundfonts in a specific way. It’s not a big deal, it’s just not the way things have been done up to now. It does have the advantage that, once the soundfont is configured that way, you can easily identify individual drum voices without needing a cheat sheet telling you which drum is where.

This is a little take of a proof of concept. It’s using a simple 4/4 pattern as the leader. The other voices follow it using different quantised delay values or compose freely using rhythm rules. I don’t think this approach will result in many floor filling bangers but I do think it’s very well suited to down tempo, laid back pulses.

Maybe?

This sounds brilliant. Any chance of being able to see the table you have created. I presume this will also work in Wotja 21?
    Can it be saved as a patch?
    Cheers

• I would like to be able to edit the name of my recordings directly from Wotja, it seems this isn't possible?

I use Wotja to produce music in specific keys and want to add "D Min" etc to the file name. I always need to share the recording to AudioShare and rename it there, it adds a lot of steps and kills my flow a bit.

I'm excited about the new documentation. I'm new to Wotja and barely scratching the surface at the moment. I am thoroughly enjoying the experience of learning and playing with it!

• @Toastedghost said:

This sounds brilliant. Any chance of being able to see the table you have created. I presume this will also work in Wotja 21?
    Can it be saved as a patch?

Thanks!

I can’t share this sound font right now. It’s just a little prototype I put together to test the concept. And, as Pete says, it needs some changes under the hood for Wotja to be able to make use of this way of organising sound fonts

At the moment I’m reworking the percussion sounfonts that are already built into Wotja so they can use this approach. So those should show up in an update at some point in the near future.

There is actually some really useful material lurking in those existing sound fonts. It’s just not been very easy to access it previously. Hopefully this will be changing soon.

Once that happens I’ll put together a full tutorial video going into the detail of how this all holds together and ways to use it.

And yes, it can be saved as a patch. If you use iCloud as the storage option, working with sound fonts in Wotja is really easy. Just put them in the top level of the iCloud Wotja folder and off you go.

• @drewinnit said:
    I would like to be able to edit the name of my recordings directly from Wotja, it seems this isn't possible?

I use Wotja to produce music in specific keys and want to add "D Min" etc to the file name. I always need to share the recording to AudioShare and rename it there, it adds a lot of steps and kills my flow a bit.

I'm excited about the new documentation. I'm new to Wotja and barely scratching the surface at the moment. I am thoroughly enjoying the experience of learning and playing with it!

Thanks for your feedback! If you can submit it as a suggestion via the Intermorphic Contact Us page - that'd be very helpful!

Pete

• @Toastedghost said:
    This sounds brilliant.

I can just sit here listening to Mark's generative drums while preparing Wotja 21.5.0... his drums are really quite awesome!
    Especially over the Wotja generated drones. Lovely.

Wotja 21.5.0 is a release that I think might surprise quite a few of you - in a nice way!

Pete

• @impete said:

@drewinnit said:
    I would like to be able to edit the name of my recordings directly from Wotja, it seems this isn't possible?

Thanks for your feedback! If you can submit it as a suggestion via the Intermorphic Contact Us page - that'd be very helpful!

Pete

Cheers Pete, will do

• Hi all!

In a major - as in very major :smile: - update, Wotja 21.5.0 now includes a full AUv3 plug-in extension.

More information here:
    https://intermorphic.com/wotja/21/guide/#plug-in

As you can see, pretty much the full Wotja UI is available in the AUv3, with just a couple of small differences.

As you might know by now, Wotja is a Universal app, so if you get it for iOS, you also get it for macOS.
    Both iOS and macOS versions contain their own AUv3 plug-in extension.

I hope our existing Wotja 21 customers are really happy to see this; and perhaps some others who've not yet taken the plunge with Wotja 21 might now be tempted.

Assuming you like this as much as Tim and I do, we'd really appreciate a nice review on the App Store! :blush:

Best wishes to all,

Pete

• @impete Hi Pete I'm running Wotja 21 on a ipad Pro 9.7. Latest ipad OS 14.4 and in the AU version in hitting 57% with 2 instances running however getting a lot of crackling. I dropped it down to 1 instance changed the patch and still a lot of crackling. Seems pretty cpu heavy but it appears the crackling a separate issue. If I run standalone or IAA the app seems more efficient.

• @Jumpercollins we really don't recommend using more than one instance of Wotja as an AUv3!!!

Anyhow, we'll keep plugging away at tuning the app.

I actually can't think of a more complex AUv3 in the market. I guess we're pushing the performance envelope somewhat!

Best wishes,

Pete

• edited March 2021

@Jumpercollins it is actually quite cool that you've all now got an option of using Wotja standalone (IAA / AudioBus), or AUv3, with or without MIDI. That gives a lot of options now, so hopefully everybody can find a way of working that suits them.

I personally really like using Wotja AUv3 within AUM; that seems to work very well.

Best wishes,

Pete

• @Toastedghost said:

The updated SoundFont is now built-in to Wotja 21.5.0 ...

Pete

• Folks, can I please ask that those of you who like what we're doing with Wotja 21, would please consider leaving a review on the App Store? Every bit of support helps!

Very best to all, Pete

• Wotja 21.5.1 changes - about to be submitted for app review:

IMPROVED: The AUv3 now saves and restores state.

• the AUv3 saves the Mix or User album/playlist file name and latest data; when you restore the DAW project data, the mix / album / playlist (if any) is auto re-opened; but applying / using whatever data you last edited up to even if you hadn’t saved your document.
    • if your original document is no longer available, the data is copied to clipboard (so you can import it) and an alert is shown telling you what to do.

FIXED AUv3 (AUM, Logic etc.) properly set Tempo on opening mix to match DAW

FIXED: macOS AUv3 window resizing now works nicely in Logic Pro

IMPROVED: Settings -> Templates - added preview of the templates in this screen

IMPROVED: Table scrollbar colour changes dynamically when colour scheme changes; no need to restart

IMPROVED: TTM seed template changes, and Wotja Play Me mix changes

• edited March 2021

@Toastedghost said:

@UMCorps has just posted a rather excellent demo / explainer video on the subject of Wotja and Rhythms on YouTube:

I should hope that if you follow the video, you'll be up-to-speed with this in no time!

Best wishes,

Pete

• As @UMCorps has pointed out to me:

"You can do plenty of really tricksy subtle variations with more time and effort.

For example: send the output of the pitch bend env through an amp and control the amp level with a random beat synced LFO.

So you can vary the depth and range of the bend on each hit. Turns a static drum sample into a talking drum/tabla kind of thing."

• @impete said:

@Toastedghost said:

@UMCorps has just posted a rather excellent demo / explainer video on the subject of Wotja and Rhythms on YouTube:

I should hope that if you follow the video, you'll be up-to-speed with this in no time!

Best wishes,

Pete

Disappointed that when giving the hihat a text-to-rhythm you didn’t type “ching-chinga-ching”.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Disappointed that when giving the hihat a text-to-rhythm you didn’t type “ching-chinga-ching”.

There's always next time! :smile:

• Tried that but couldn’t spell it right.

• That was a helpful video to watch, thanks!

• edited March 2021

In case anyone fancies a go but is put off by the price tag (I was! I don't have many apps, if any at all around that price) then you can subscribe for as little as £1.50 a month and at the most you will pay £2.50.

Anyway, now that MIDI has finally emerged from the mists of confusion I am having a gigantic amount of fun with it. Truly inspirational app. Cheers, Wotja!

• edited March 2021

Is there a way to expose in real time what the presets are doing?

I believe that's possible with a midi toolkit type app but it would be great to see it in the app itself.

• edited March 2021

Am I right in understanding that you cannot use AU with the subscription model and that you cannot use the subscription model in a DAW without being subject to a timer of 60, 90, 120 seconds (something like that)? Therefore the subscription model in iPad OS is not AU and has very limited functionality that is in itself limited by a timer.

I can have a guess why it's not possible, is the answer 'Apple'? Thing is, I would have preferred to have known this before I subscribed. The FAQ was really helpful in describing the pros and cons of the different payment models but I didn't run into this issue whilst reading it.

• Yes, sadly "Apple" is indeed the answer; @impete explained this in the other thread. It is there in the app description (note 2 under Feature Set), and also in the original What's New – but of course there's a ton of other things that also have to be there, so it's easily missed. It's a shame there doesn't seem to be a workaround, but I hope they keep the sub version going; it's become less relevant now the commercial tiers have been subsumed into the Pro licence, but it remains a great way to try out the full functionality before splashing on the Pro fullgrade, and on iOS always had the advantage that you don't have to move all your files across once a year.

• Hi @ashh and @Masanga,

Yep, it is a pain.

Technically, the Wotja app contains both the standalone Wotja app, and the Wotja AUv3 (which is what is called an "Audio Unit Extension"). So, the two pieces of software come together in the same download, and even share the same core libraries.

However Apple for some reason don't allow app Extensions like our AUv3 to get information on In App Purchases.
    Unlike the app, which of course has an in-app store.

These two bits of software (app and extension) operate in their own sandboxes, and the one can't see inside the other; and vice-versa.

I'd hope Apple might improve this in the future, and for now I can't think of any workaround.

Best wishes,

Pete

• Folks, if you've not yet left a review for Wotja on your App Store, please don't forget us!

• We've updated our Learn page...:
    https://intermorphic.com/wotja/21/learn/

And have been adding to the Videos list...:
    https://intermorphic.com/wotja/21/learn/videos/

As well as the list of tutorials...:
    https://intermorphic.com/wotja/21/learn/tutorials/

More to follow in the coming weeks!

Pete

• @impete said:
    Folks, if you've not yet left a review for Wotja on your App Store, please don't forget us!

I left a 5 star. Love the app, I'll have to buy it outright once my app budget resets.

• @ashh said:

@impete said:
    Folks, if you've not yet left a review for Wotja on your App Store, please don't forget us!

I left a 5 star. Love the app, I'll have to buy it outright once my app budget resets.

That is very kind of you - thank you so much!

Best wishes,

Pete

• edited March 2021

@impete said:

@ashh said:

@impete said:

That is very kind of you - thank you so much!

Best wishes,

Pete

I guess.

The app is very clearly user focused. The payment system bends over backwards to accommodate everyone whilst paying the devs a yearly amount.

I wasn't sure about the yearly version at first but once I understand how mature the app is then I had no problem with it. Of course you should be paid for your ongoing work. My purchase today won't buy you lunch next year if you're still pumping out updates.

I love the interface on Wotja. For me, it is intuitive. I really enjoy using the presets and they are gently introducing me to the features. It's clear that you have put a lot of work into understanding your users.

Lastly, your FAQ is very good. It was as though you were listening to my questions and answering them in turn. A lot of work has gone into it, clearly.

Thanks for Wotja.

• @ashh said:
    The app is very clearly user focused. The payment system bends over backwards to accommodate everyone whilst paying the devs a yearly amount.

Thanks for picking-up on this; we've tried hard to find something that works for as many people as possible in terms of payment. Things have been particularly tough for everybody in the past year, and worldwide; so we want there to be some route to using Wotja for everybody who can access a device on any of the major mobile or desktop platforms, even if that is for free.

I wasn't sure about the yearly version at first but once I understand how mature the app is then I had no problem with it. Of course you should be paid for your ongoing work. My purchase today won't buy you lunch next year if you're still pumping out updates.

Thanks very much for understanding this. We're not a one-off app; we've been working away continuously at this for more than 30 years now :)

I love the interface on Wotja. For me, it is intuitive. I really enjoy using the presets and they are gently introducing me to the features. It's clear that you have put a lot of work into understanding your users.

Again, that is really kind of you to say so. It is true to say that 30 years on, we're still trying to figure-out the best way to make our apps work. Looking back, we've come a long way, but really I think that this remains our biggest challenge - keeping on plugging-away at making Wotja as easy to use (and get started with) as possible. We still have a long way to go.

I spent a bit of time yesterday with a version of VCV rack, which is a highly impressive, free modular system. I was struck by how well made it was, but also how hard it must be to get started by somebody who wasn't used to the "language" of rack-mounted synths. That was a good lesson for me, as a UI developer - Wotja uses a lot of its own language and ways of doing things, and it can sometimes be easy to forget that users who are new to Wotja can need a lot of help in getting to grips with things.

Lastly, your FAQ is very good. It was as though you were listening to my questions and answering them in turn. A lot of work has gone into it, clearly.

Tim has put a huge amount of work into the FAQ, and all the documentation. He is really happy to get a thumbs-up from you!

We try to approach the documentation from the point of view of asking ourselves questions "How do I achieve this?" or "Why does Wotja do this?" and set-up to answer them. Again, this is a never-ending effort. Also: we have got asked a lot of questions over the years, and the answers we provide keep getting added to the FAQ.

Thanks for Wotja.

You're very welcome! :)

With best wishes,

Pete