Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS randomly turns volume down "to protect my hearing" -- any way to turn this BS off?

13»

Comments

• I think that’s the thing that keeps people with Apple.

It’s not much different with Microsoft though. I always thought of Apple being way ahead of MS in so many respects, but Apple seems to be slowly letting things slip with no sign of a turnaround.

• @SevenSystems said:
    I'm not sure if it's funny or sad that even submitting this problem to Apple using their user feedback form is impossible because their feedback form itself is riddled with bugs:

1) My email address is marked as "invalid", while I'm sure "from experience" :D that it's completely valid
    2) They're apparently too busy adding new animoji for updating their list of iOS versions :D :D :D (seriously dude, is this real? Why doesn't that just automatically get its list of iOS versions from some, errr, server?)

That is the software quality you get from one of the richest companies on Earth. Insane!

That delayed iOS version selector has been like that for several generations. I always include the actual version in the post title in order to be clear. I agree it's pretty slack/laughable.

• @SevenSystems said:

@Samu said:

@SevenSystems said:

That is the software quality you get from one of the richest companies on Earth. Insane!

Nobody is forcing you to stay with the platform if it annoys you that much...

Errr, tell me a different mobile platform that has the kind of audio and MIDI support?

Honestly though. Are people THAT happy about everything nowadays that it's considered somehow offensive when I criticize one of the richest companies on Earth for their inability to properly upkeep one of the top 10 most used forms on the web? Come on.

EDIT: I know I'm generally frustrated recently due to other reasons so I may be slightly over-critical. But the essence is still valid! ;)

EDIT 2: And someone might say "yeah, no wonder your email address is seen as invalid -- it has that strange '.systems' at the end". True, the TLD "systems" has only been available for about 7 years, so it's relatively "new"... but even if I'd concede on that point, it means that they're probably using some kind of hard-coded regex check or something to validate e-mail addresses... which is kindof cheap. They should do a DNS lookup to check validity.

I used to get the invalid email flag quite a bit, turns out autocorrect adds a space after it, which apparently the common Web form can't handle. I don't know if that's the case, sometimes it's something stupidly simple.

• @Samu said:

@SevenSystems said:

Why??? Why make this comment??? If you have read this thread you know that @SevenSystems is having other issues in life as well.. I have been on this board as a long time...under a few different names and SevenSystems has always, always been helpful and makes one of the better midi products for iOS. Cut him some slack.

I get tired of people grandstanding and making comments like this @Samu . You should know better... you are a wealth of knowledge to this forum.

Rant off.

• edited November 2020

@SpartanClownTide said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Samu said:

@SevenSystems said:

Errr, tell me a different mobile platform that has the kind of audio and MIDI support?

Honestly though. Are people THAT happy about everything nowadays that it's considered somehow offensive when I criticize one of the richest companies on Earth for their inability to properly upkeep one of the top 10 most used forms on the web? Come on.

EDIT: I know I'm generally frustrated recently due to other reasons so I may be slightly over-critical. But the essence is still valid! ;)

EDIT 2: And someone might say "yeah, no wonder your email address is seen as invalid -- it has that strange '.systems' at the end". True, the TLD "systems" has only been available for about 7 years, so it's relatively "new"... but even if I'd concede on that point, it means that they're probably using some kind of hard-coded regex check or something to validate e-mail addresses... which is kindof cheap. They should do a DNS lookup to check validity.

I used to get the invalid email flag quite a bit, turns out autocorrect adds a space after it, which apparently the common Web form can't handle. I don't know if that's the case, sometimes it's something stupidly simple.

Yeah, I used a normal desktop PC though -- I have seen the problem you mention on quite a few websites as well though. But -- allow me another rant -- that is also a really, really, really basic novice bug. ALL web form input would normally be trimmed of leading and trailing whitespace before being processed by ANY programmer who has even passed their first 101 tutorial. It's really basic stuff. (in this case though, it's definitely choking on the "new" TLD (systems).

@onerez said:

@Samu said:

@SevenSystems said:

Why??? Why make this comment??? If you have read this thread you know that @SevenSystems is having other issues in life as well.. I have been on this board as a long time...under a few different names and SevenSystems has always, always been helpful and makes one of the better midi products for iOS. Cut him some slack.

I get tired of people grandstanding and making comments like this @Samu . You should know better... you are a wealth of knowledge to this forum.

Rant off.

Thanks. I do know that constant negativity is bad and I am having a particularly bad phase, so I can understand people like @Samu are getting pissed at this thread. It's OK! (and I know citing health issues for negative or unhelpful behaviour is something you should try to avoid. I'm trying my best! :D )

Maybe one should in general simply not engage in needless "social interaction" during such a phase. (I'm still fulfilling customer support duties as usual so that part should be fine! :) )

• edited December 2020

Hi there! Fairly new to this forum and iOS here, but a long-time member of the Android modding community. Not using Audiobus but I found this forum thread quite helpful, and I think I may have some things to add.

The claims about sound levels seem based on little more than the position of the volume slider. I think you can pretty much substitute dB for % there.

A memo from the EU Commission has been linked in earlier (here) which I have read. The memo dates back to 2009 and covers exposure levels and length thereof, and does not call for a hard limit. It also does not call for a reduction after a given time, it merely suggests that implementations should take both into account. In practice the result of this memo seems to have become the warning you get when you raise the volume above a certain level, which is absolutely fine. This is not what Apple is doing however.

An external DAC has been mentioned which is certainly a viable way to approach this problem. Devices like the Fiio i1 come to mind, which is quite portable. I would however argue that it's a workaround rather than an actual fix.

A correlation to light bulbs and "perfect color rendition" has been brought up. This is correct, incandescent light bulbs have a color rendering index (CRI) of 99. Sunlight has a CRI of 100 which is what lights are compared against. Going lower than that, we have LED's at ~80%, though you can get high CRI LED lights as well. Going further down, you find CFL lights at a CRI of ~20. Going that low gets you very close to monochromatic light, i.e. light of a single wavelength where you can't distinguish colors at all.

This is important in stuff like photography, or lighting a dinner table (e.g. in restaurants and whatnot, but also your home). You do not want your steak to be lit by a CFL, it looks disgusting. Under an LED it would be acceptable, but a photographer might notice if you post a picture of it on Instagram (so don't). That being said, I do not see how incandescent bulbs' environmental impact is related to personal safety of a music player, other than justifying Apple's dogma.

It has been mentioned that the EU wants to break encryption, which is only half true. The Commission acknowledges that this cannot be reasonably done, and I have personally contacted the Commission about this. The Commission wishes to be able to see the chat logs of terrorists and child abusers, and is going about it the wrong way. Also not related to sound however, but you can find a leaked document here.

Getting back to the iPhone and its sound limitations, I have jailbroken my newly bought iPhone SE (1st gen) on iOS 14.3 using checkra1n. The process was pretty smooth, and being semi-untethered, it should not affect untethered reboots all that much. In the jailbroken state I have SSH'd into the phone and moved the /Applications/Health* directories to the home directory in /var/root, then ran su mobile -c uicache to get the app icon removed as well. This was last night and I tested the results by listening to some music afterwards. The volume was limited once more. However over that period, it should've happened twice. Looking at the process list, I found that there is still an instance of healthd running. This might be related. The iPhone runs launchd inside, so it's not too dissimilar from a MacOS / Unix system in that regard. It may be possible to disable the healthd service this way, though it cannot be killed (launchd just restarts it immediately afterwards). The process that is launched appears to be /System/Library/Frameworks/HealthKit.framework/healthd.

So far I reached a point where I should test the results for a bit longer, and see if that one time reduction was just that, a one-time remainder. However the jailbroken system certainly looks like this nasty bug/feature could be removed. I'm still fairly new to the iOS system as well though so I could certainly use some help from other jailbroken users. If I find anything new, I'll let you know :smile:

• edited December 2020

@ghnou hi, thanks for your detailed post. I can't go into a detailed reply right now, but I'm the original "complainer" and created the thread, and posted the solution in one of the first posts.

The problem is indeed the healthd service, and you can permanently disable it (persists across reboots) by running:

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.healthd.plist

as root.

I've been using the phone many weeks since then, mostly at full volume in the car, and the problem hasn't reappeared.

(regarding checkra1n: the phone will randomly reboot (not just respring) for no apparent reason once every couple of days and as it hasn't ever done that before, I guess it's related to the jailbreak. However it boots "normally" without the jailbreak, i.e. it's usable... I'm not sure if the healthd "tweak" persists even without the jailbreak, but I assume it will, as launchctl unload -w modifies some launchd configuration file and I doubt Apple "checks" these on each boot, but I'm not a jailbreak expert by any means.)

• @SevenSystems said:
    @ghnou hi, thanks for your detailed post. I can't go into a detailed reply right now, but I'm the original "complainer" and created the thread, and posted the solution in one of the first posts.

The problem is indeed the healthd service, and you can permanently disable it (persists across reboots) by running:

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.healthd.plist

as root.

I've been using the phone many weeks since then, mostly at full volume in the car, and the problem hasn't reappeared.

(regarding checkra1n: the phone will randomly reboot (not just respring) for no apparent reason once every couple of days and as it hasn't ever done that before, I guess it's related to the jailbreak. However it boots "normally" without the jailbreak, i.e. it's usable... I'm not sure if the healthd "tweak" persists even without the jailbreak, but I assume it will, as launchctl unload -w modifies some launchd configuration file and I doubt Apple "checks" these on each boot, but I'm not a jailbreak expert by any means.)

Thanks for the reply! I just applied this command and it seems that the iPhone now indeed doesn't limit the volume anymore. Finally fixed! :smiley:

• edited December 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited December 2020

@Max23 said:
    Hm, @SevenSystems
    Settings > system sounds ,
    First option
    Reduce db on headphones
    Turn it off ;)

I’m not sure if the names are right my system isn’t in English

I also found the button for don’t nanny my readings in iBooks here ...

I think it's more complicated than that. See https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/877194/#Comment_877194.

Also, this is an iPhone-only feature, involving the Health app, which does not exist on iPads. According to the Apple "iPhone User Guide", the automatic volume reduction was introduced with iOS 14.2, and it cannot be disabled in some (many) regions.

• @Max23 thanks -- believe me though, I've tried every single setting that even remotely could have to do something with this and nothing helped. Also according to lots of other posts around the net, it is simply not possible to turn this off at all, even the notification I used to get literally said it cannot be turned off.

It's confusing and there's at least three "features" that deal with volume reduction, but this one is not user adjustable.

• I also often write negative comments, but i believe, not without a valid reason, @Samu

And i can completely understand that @SevenSystems is sometimes dissatisfied (or even pissed) by what Apple does or does not.

They ask lots of money for their stuff, any stuff, and often deliver bad quality, things that do not work, are confusing or simply show lack of any competence or thoughts about a topic.

A webform that does not accept a valid email adress, is pathetic.
    A webform that does not even allow to select from all existing versions, is.... a crime.

The list with Apple problems is old and long, very long. In regards to nearly everything Apple does, produces and sells.

But still, i prefer their products over Android devices.
    Does that mean i cannot complain about what Apple does wrong?
    They also do things right, and for me, more often than those Android companies.

And, most important, i see no alternative for me.

Gimme a high performance Unix based mobile operating system that actually works, also for real time stuff like audio, together with high quality software and numerous apps and games of high quality from another company and you can see my leaving Apple rapidly.

• @tja You know me, I can be pretty 'vocal' too when sh*t doesn't work as expected :)

Sometimes I just really can't replicate (on my iPhone 8 & iPad Air 2 with up-to-date iOS/iPadOS versions) the issues others are experiencing and thus I almost automatically categorize them as 'user malfunctions' and thus prefer to stay quiet on the topics.

But that's me...
    ...I somehow can't faithfully represent the 'average user' or something?!

Cheers!

• Do you guys ever had the issue of the sound fading in when using a dongle headset? It fades in and out, but slow enough to wreck the first sound and fast enough to not be able to have a deadspace beyond 2 seconds. It’s activating/deactivating audio. I’ve had the same experience with bluetooth I think but this is with 3.5 mm dongle. I was exited about this new dongle having both camera connection and 3.5 audio, and working..
    was going to post about it.
    Do you know a workaround for this problem guys? Guys?
    (:

• I'm now of the opinion that this is an accessibility violation to a small degree.

The original reason for hearing protection is a laudable aim, and I’d perhaps agree with forcing people to limit their exposure to loud sounds when young, despite their protests. It’s for their own good, etc. I’d also prevent young people from taking out too many subscriptions or spending all their money on junk food with their friends, for the same reason. They can thank me decades later, although I probably won’t be alive by then.

But, my point is: Apple (etc) is assuming that we all start with good hearing, that needs protecting. Well, I don’t have good hearing any longer. I can hardly hear what’s going on around me, people speaking, etc. If I have the sound of my iPhone over headphones at the recommended max limit, I pretty much can’t hear it. I can hear it enough to be annoying, but not enough to know what I’m listening to in any detail. I think for accessibility reasons, it needs to know where it is starting from – is the user a 60 year old with quite limited hearing, or a 15 year old with virginal hearing that does need protecting?

This is like Apple preventing me from making the typography too big, for my own safety.

• edited December 2021

@RichardSamsona said:
    The initial goal of hearing protection is noble, and I could agree with limiting young people's exposure to loud sounds, notwithstanding their protestations. Just for their own good. For the same reason, I'd discourage young people from taking out too many subscriptions or spending too much money on junk food. They can thank me decades later, if I am still alive.

But, my point is: Apple (et al) assumes we all start off with good hearing. So I've lost my hearing. I can barely hear what is going on around me. I can hardly hear my iPhone if I use the suggested maximum volume on my headphones. I can hear it well enough to be irritated, but not well enough to identify it. For accessibility purposes, it needs to know if the user is a 60-year-old with impaired hearing or a 15-year-old with unprotected hearing. Here is a guide to fix the issue - https://geniusgeeks.com/volume-automatically-goes-down-android/

WTF? edit: evidently spam, it disappeared. A rewrite of @u0421793 's posting

• Is this really a thing ? I’ve never encountered it. I did skip iOS 14 entirely, tho. On iOS 15 I never encountered tho

• edited December 2021

@ambrosiajam said:
    Is this really a thing ? I’ve never encountered it. I did skip iOS 14 entirely, tho. On iOS 15 I never encountered tho

I believe it is an iPhone feature only. Screenshots show lots of menus never seen on iPads.

Or maybe it requires a clean install of the full system. So the incremental "OTA" updates don't include it, for some reason.

• @musikeer said:

@RichardSamsona said:
    The initial goal of hearing protection is noble, and I could agree with limiting young people's exposure to loud sounds, notwithstanding their protestations. Just for their own good. For the same reason, I'd discourage young people from taking out too many subscriptions or spending too much money on junk food. They can thank me decades later, if I am still alive.

But, my point is: Apple (et al) assumes we all start off with good hearing. So I've lost my hearing. I can barely hear what is going on around me. I can hardly hear my iPhone if I use the suggested maximum volume on my headphones. I can hear it well enough to be irritated, but not well enough to identify it. For accessibility purposes, it needs to know if the user is a 60-year-old with impaired hearing or a 15-year-old with unprotected hearing. Here is a guide to fix the issue - https://geniusgeeks.com/volume-automatically-goes-down-android/

WTF? edit: evidently spam, it disappeared. A rewrite of @u0421793 's posting

Yes. I flagged it. That's the best way to handle these; weird post, first-time poster. It's an amusing technique, though, cloning an existing post to patch in a spam link.