Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS randomly turns volume down "to protect my hearing" -- any way to turn this BS off?

Anyone else getting this? Ever since iOS 14.1 or 14.2, my iOS devices keep turning down the volume against my will because they want to "protect my hearing", and "this feature cannot be turned off".

Apart from the fact that I'm very capable of judging for myself how loud I want to listen to music and I find this "feature" highly condescending, I'm mostly connected via line-out anyway and the device has no effing way to know how loud I'm listening anyway.

Is there any way this "feature" can be turned off or removed short of a jailbreak?

Comments

• Just an idea, check Settings / Sound / Headphone Audio / Reduce Loud Sounds
    Could not find something other than that

• @tja said:
    Just an idea, check Settings / Sound / Headphone Audio / Reduce Loud Sounds
    Could not find something other than that

Thanks, yeah that is already turned off (go figure!). But that same page has a nice friendly "bargraph" that shows me how often and on which days it has deliberately patronized me and turned the volume down. Ain't that grand?

• iOS 14 has messed up so many apps in my workflow that I can’t really make tunes at the moment. Think they did a pretty good job with it. 🤬

• Hey... where's Xequence Audio? I bet on you to beat NanoStudio 2 and I need that money for
    Black Friday app purchasing. Not going to happen, right? Maybe in 2021?

• I guess if iOS used "nicknames" like Android, iOS 14 would be "Audio Apocalypse".

Here's the friendly "chart" that shows me how "nice" iOS is being to me!

• Check Volume Limit in Settings > Music, or in Settings > Health, if you've ever monitored headphone levels in the past, try deleting that data on that page.

Or, if you're in Europe, then maybe that 85db headphone volume limit law is finally being enforced? in iOS14???
    https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/MEMO_09_418

• This 'limit check' can be a bit misleading depending on the impedance of the headphones being used...
    ...high impedance headphones need more juice to reach high levels than the Lightning->3.5mm or 3.5mm jack can provide thus 100% will according to Apples calculations which are based on EarPods/AIrPods will indicate too high levels...

This issue can be avoided by using an external DAC.
    I've got pretty sensitive ears so I seldom listen at high levels so for me personal this is a non-issue...

• edited November 2020

@Sequencer1 said:
    Check Volume Limit in Settings > Music, or in Settings > Health, if you've ever monitored headphone levels in the past, try deleting that data on that page.

Or, if you're in Europe, then maybe that 85db headphone volume limit law is finally being enforced? in iOS14???

Seriously, that is a LAW now? After limiting the power of vacuum cleaners and banning light bulbs, they're now enforcing volume limits on people privately listening to music on their own damn headphones? Seriously, any time I see the word "Europe", I start vomiting in circles. Do people really need to be spoonfed their lives like this?

• @Samu said:
    This 'limit check' can be a bit misleading depending on the impedance of the headphones being used...
    ...high impedance headphones need more juice to reach high levels than the Lightning->3.5mm or 3.5mm jack can provide thus 100% will according to Apples calculations which are based on EarPods/AIrPods will indicate too high levels...

Yes of course, but who wants to carry around an external DAC everywhere? This has happened to me while just going on a walk or plugging in my mini FM transmitter to listen to music in my car (which needs full volume because that's how it works).

Essentially iOS 14 is utterly useless for ANYTHING audio-related now, even simply listening to goddamn music!

RANT OUT! :)

• Essentially iOS 14 is utterly useless for ANYTHING audio-related now, even simply listening to goddamn music!
    👆🏻

• @SevenSystems said:

@Sequencer1 said:
    Check Volume Limit in Settings > Music, or in Settings > Health, if you've ever monitored headphone levels in the past, try deleting that data on that page.

Seriously, that is a LAW now? After limiting the power of vacuum cleaners and banning light bulbs, they're now enforcing volume limits on people privately listening to music on their own damn headphones? Seriously, any time I see the word "Europe", I start vomiting in circles. Do people really need to be spoonfed their lives like this?

If the "EU" really enforces secret government keys to enable free reading in all chats (WhatApp, Telegram, Wire, Threema, Signal, ...) and others streams and mails and whatever else (to "fight terrorism"), i may try to get into GB after the Brexit

• @tja said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Sequencer1 said:

If the "EU" really enforces secret government keys to enable free reading in all chats (WhatApp, Telegram, Wire, Threema, Signal, ...) and others streams and mails and whatever else (to "fight terrorism"), i may try to get into GB after the Brexit

Argh, I didn't even want this thread to get political (the US election thread was enough :D), but yeah, nowadays it's hard not to get fed up.

But I'm not in the best mood recently anyway so maybe I should take a complete forum break ;)

• @McD said:
    Hey... where's Xequence Audio? I bet on you to beat NanoStudio 2 and I need that money for
    Black Friday app purchasing. Not going to happen, right? Maybe in 2021?

Hey. Sorry, not going to happen this year. I'm still struggling with health stuff and very slow recently. Hope to improve soon! :)

• @SevenSystems Did you try this:

For those that are interested:
    https://www.isvr.co.uk/labtests/en50332.htm
    https://www.isvr.co.uk/workplace/conawr.htm
    https://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/hsg260.pdf

• @Sequencer1 said:
    @SevenSystems Did you try this:

For those that are interested:
    https://www.isvr.co.uk/labtests/en50332.htm
    https://www.isvr.co.uk/workplace/conawr.htm
    https://www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/hsg260.pdf

Thanks, I think I've already found that when it first happened and used all "Delete" options that I could find, but it happened again today. I've just deleted it another time and will see if there's any improvement.

• edited November 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited November 2020

@Max23 said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Sequencer1 said:

cough?
    you mean grandfathers light bulb that used 90% of its energy to produce heat and not light?
    giving you 120 db on your headphones certainly isn't the smartest idea either. ;)

Well, I am my own person though and capable of taking my own life decisions, thanks ;) And my grandfather's light bulbs at least produce a continuous spectrum that is exactly the same as sunlight (natural), while everything else gives me a clusterf*ck of random spectral lines that I'm not sure are equivalent health-wise (tinfoil hat, I know... but... it's physics!)

EDIT: And it's my energy bill that I pay myself, so why should the EU care how I use my energy that I pay for?

• Limit is 85db, not 120db. :)
    If you plug your iPhone into your car stereo - road noise / windows down is noisy and may drown out your music.

• @SevenSystems said:

@Max23 said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Sequencer1 said:

cough?
    you mean grandfathers light bulb that used 90% of its energy to produce heat and not light?
    giving you 120 db on your headphones certainly isn't the smartest idea either. ;)

Well, I am my own person though and capable of taking my own life decisions, thanks ;) And my grandfather's light bulbs at least produce a continuous spectrum that is exactly the same as sunlight (natural), while everything else gives me a clusterf*ck of random spectral lines that I'm not sure are equivalent health-wise (tinfoil hat, I know... but... it's physics!)

EDIT: And it's my energy bill that I pay myself, so why should the EU care how I use my energy that I pay for?

I mean who doesn't love fun random brownouts and rising temperatures? I miss the good old days of leaded gasoline, free of ethanol and when we didn't have catalytic convertors. LIBERTY!

• edited November 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Max23 said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Sequencer1 said:

cough?

oh your lightbulb does infrared and ultraviolet? no, it doesnt.

It certainly does infrared, but yeah, not a lot of ultraviolet.

I get back to you when you are in a better mood and dont want to burn down the house.

Probably a good idea ;) I'll go back to my grandfather cave! ;)

• Guys, thanks for the answers -- I don't want this to turn into another political hellhole thread so I'm out. Seems like it's not possible to fix this then without a jailbreak or getting a used iPhone 5s or so.

• Oh, @SevenSystems we are so similar in some points 😂

• edited November 2020

@SevenSystems : >Sounds>Headphone safety>settings off
    Get Well Soon!

• Here's a longish Apple Discussion on this subject. Sounds like it's coming to all iPhones eventually. But the implementation seems a bit haphazard. Apple may be trying to preempt a class action lawsuit.

• @Telstar5 said:
    @SevenSystems : >Sounds>Headphone safety>settings off
    Get Well Soon!

Thanks for the well wishes. I had the setting off all along, it doesn't have any effect unfortunately.

• @SevenSystems said:

@Samu said:
    This 'limit check' can be a bit misleading depending on the impedance of the headphones being used...

Yes of course, but who wants to carry around an external DAC everywhere?

Isn’t that exactly what new iPhone users are doing when they use the port adapter with the headphone socket because there’s no longer a headphone socket on the phone?

• >

Isn’t that exactly what new iPhone users are doing when they use the port adapter with the headphone socket because there’s no longer a headphone socket on the phone?

Yes, but as long as it's the 'Apple Dongle' (Lightning->3.5mm) it's treated as an iPhone headset and the measurements affect it.
    3rd party dongles bypass the measurements....

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Samu said:

Yes of course, but who wants to carry around an external DAC everywhere?

Hah, true. Technically. But I'm pretty sure it's as "safety-conscious" as the actual headphone jack and one needs to get a proper external DAC with integrated headphone amp and be damn sure that iOS can't eavesdrop on its output power!