Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS 14 and audio units

Comments

• edited May 2021

iPad Pro 11”, iOS 14.5 - this is now much MUCH worse for me since updating to 14.5. I don’t have TestFlight installed and never take part in betas, for what it’s worth. But today, I’ve had AUs crash inside Nanostudio 4 times. Firstly Zeeon, which when it crashed meant I lost my carefully constructed patch (came back in init state after a reboot) secondly EGPulse, 3 times. That one seems to be reproducible though, just selecting a new kit a few times will crash it. This is so depressing. If I can help any of the devs on here with crash logs or anything feel free to shout.

• @drcongo said:
    iPad Pro 11”, iOS 14.5 - this is now much MUCH worse for me since updating to 14.5. I don’t have TestFlight installed and never take part in betas, for what it’s worth. But today, I’ve had AUs crash inside Nanostudio 4 times. Firstly Zeeon, which when it crashed meant I lost my carefully constructed patch (came back in init state after a reboot) secondly EGPulse, 3 times. That one seems to be reproducible though, just selecting a new kit a few times will crash it. This is so depressing. If I can help any of the devs on here with crash logs or anything feel free to shout.

Just a thought. Try opening the AUs stand-alone first. Some new or updated data structures may require initializing.

• edited May 2021

@uncledave said:
    So, as we feared, it looks like iOS 14.5 requires the updated Apple certificate for app, see this thread. That likely means that old apps, no longer in the AppStore or Purchased, like Epic Synth, are now dead.

Wow! I found that a couple of apps, including AltaMail, that weren't updated, no longer run in iPadOS 14.5. "The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of iOS." So I found it in iPad Storage and offloaded the app, retaining the data. After it was done, it offered the option to reinstall, so I did, and now it runs again. So, it looks like that's all it takes for apps that are still in the AppStore. Just offload, then reload, easy.

• @uncledave said:

@uncledave said:
    So, as we feared, it looks like iOS 14.5 requires the updated Apple certificate for app, see this thread. That likely means that old apps, no longer in the AppStore or Purchased, like Epic Synth, are now dead.

Wow! I found that a couple of apps, including AltaMail, that weren't updated, no longer run in iPadOS 14.5. "The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of iOS." So I found it in iPad Storage and offloaded the app, retaining the data. After it was done, it offered the option to reinstall, so I did, and now it runs again. So, it looks like that's all it takes for apps that are still in the AppStore. Just offload, then reload, easy.

Excellent! Just did this little trick on Pocket Informant 4 which was also giving this error and is not even on the App Store anymore. Now it works again! Thanks @uncledave

• Is the bug still there on 14.6?

I’ve heard there are some under-the-hood fixes in the OS like faster shortcuts.. so maybe the dreaded AU atrocity is gone? 24 hours since update I haven’t had this yet.

• @god said:
    Is the bug still there on 14.6?

I’ve heard there are some under-the-hood fixes in the OS like faster shortcuts.. so maybe the dreaded AU atrocity is gone? 24 hours since update I haven’t had this yet.

no issue for me with 14.6 ipad pro 11 2018

• @mlau said:

@god said:
    Is the bug still there on 14.6?

no issue for me with 14.6 ipad pro 11 2018

Sadly the bug just hit me again. So not fixed on 14.6

• Just got this one again.. seems to happen less frequent, but still there.

• The bug still exists in iOS betas of 14.7.

• edited May 2021

Has the theory that the AUv3 problems happen mainly to those who have used beta versions of iOS been proven/disproven? And mostly to iPad Pro users? Perhaps a poll?

• @musikeer said:
    Has the theory that the AUv3 problems happen mainly to those who have used beta versions of iOS been proven/disproven?

Don't know, I've only had it happen an handful times since iPadOS14 was released.

When installing new apps or betas I have a habit of rebooting my iPad.
    I also reboot the iPad after I've deleted a bunch of apps.

My guess is that it's corrupted cache files that cause the problems and since those cache files are wiped when rebooting the device there's less likelihood of the bug popping up.

Could also be related to available storage on device.

It's tricky to bug-hunt since crashing AUv3's do not create any log-files...

• @musikeer said:
    Has the theory that the AUv3 problems happen mainly to those who have used beta versions of iOS been proven/disproven? And mostly to iPad Pro users? Perhaps a poll?

Don’t think this is true. Anyway for me.. Never used an iOS beta and I get this stupid bug all the time since iOS 14 upgrade.

• @god said:

@musikeer said:

Don’t think this is true. Anyway for me.. Never used an iOS beta and I get this stupid bug all the time since iOS 14 upgrade.

Any idea how many AUs yiu have installed?

• @espiegel123 said:

@god said:

@musikeer said:

I have lots and lots of them, I’d say.. about 50? Instruments and FX plug-ins .

• @uncledave said:

Thanks, that really saved my behind - I thought I’d lost all of my recordings in Rode Rec!

• edited May 2021

@god said:

@espiegel123 said:

@god said:

@musikeer said:

Are you sure it's that small? I counted mine, using the lists in the different Audiobus slots. I got 99 unique names, a total of 145 entries (some show up as MIDI source, MIDI FX, instrument, FX, various multi-output). Now, I consider myself a small player in this game, and I've only lost AUv3s twice. If the problem is caused by the number of AUv3, I'd expect you to have a lot more. If you're really in the 50 range, we can rule out quantity as a cause.

Edit: I'm on iPad 6, iPadOS 14.6. I've been current on iPadOS since 14.2 came out.

• @god said:

@musikeer said:

Is this referring to the idea that @Gavinski had that possibly it was related to auto updates for beta apps in TestFlight? If so, then that idea was about beta apps and not beta iOS.

I've been on beta iOS 14 since the first beta and I've never personally seen it. I do really wish they would fix it though because I get quite a few emails asking me about why my AU doesn't show up in GarageBand. I also have more than a couple of 1 star reviews and ratings that seem to be related to this bug.

• Counted 119 here, so Uncledave’s getting it less than me with more installed.

• @uncledave said:

@god said:

@espiegel123 said:

@god said:

@musikeer said:

Are you sure it's that small? I counted mine, using the lists in the different Audiobus slots. I got 99 unique names, a total of 145 entries (some show up as MIDI source, MIDI FX, instrument, FX, various multi-output). Now, I consider myself a small player in this game, and I've only lost AUv3s twice. If the problem is caused by the number of AUv3, I'd expect you to have a lot more. If you're really in the 50 range, we can rule out quantity as a cause.

It still can be the quantity, even if I am at 50, as I am using an older model (iPhone 8 Plus).

One thing I can say with some certainty is that the bug had never hit me on the first launch of the AU host app after device reset - it always happened on a subsequent launch. FWIW

• Anyone who was affected by the bug in iOS 14 and has now iOS 15 Beta can tell whether this bug was fixed or not?

• Haven’t encountered it in iOS 15 yet, but I only installed it yesterday. There’s still time!!!

• @ahallam said:
    Haven’t encountered it in iOS 15 yet, but I only installed it yesterday. There’s still time!!!

Thanks for the input!

Yeah, realized it’ll be early. Hopefully forum members will get here with more insight in the upcoming days.

• It feels like manually shutting down the AUv3 host every time I stop using it (not letting the OS close it) helps to prevent the bug from occurring.

• I will go so far as to conservatively say that the bug has possibly been fixed in iOS 15. I haven’t encountered issues with loading AUs in any DAW since I installed the developer beta after the keynote.

knocks on wood

• edited June 2021

@ahallam thanks for the update. Have you noticed any other audio issues pop up? Latest 14.6 I get it more randomly. Sometimes it’s within an hour of starting up in the morning, sometimes it goes days.

• @Model10000 said:
    @ahallam thanks for the update. Have you noticed any other audio issues pop up? Latest 14.6 I get it more randomly. Sometimes it’s within an hour of starting up in the morning, sometimes it goes days.

Nothing, really. An issue with Cubasis 3 where instruments disappear “into the background” as the on screen message says, Hammerhead crashes to a black screen in standalone.

I haven’t noticed any audio issues so far though.

• xorxor
    edited June 2021

This is a new one, fired up aum, added pure piano but then the midi fx list was empty and then the audio list was empty.. Never mind, it was probably iaa, I just search and type. :/

• Just checked in on the Feedback app, and noticed the ticket has been updated.

• @ahallam said:
    Just checked in on the Feedback app, and noticed the ticket has been updated.

Yeah, users of the iOS beta in this forum have mentioned that they don’t get this bug anymore. Guess we’ll just have to wait.

• Nice that they let it persist for pretty much an entire release before fixing it.