Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS 14 and audio units

12345679»

Comments

• Talk about waiting til the last second to fix something…

• @ahallam said:
    Nice that they let it persist for pretty much an entire release before fixing it.

To be fair, it is a relatively rare bug. A few people experience it regularly but the vast majority of people don't seem to encounter it.

• @espiegel123 said:

@ahallam said:
    Nice that they let it persist for pretty much an entire release before fixing it.

To be fair, it is a relatively rare bug. A few people experience it regularly but the vast majority of people don't seem to encounter it.

With less than 10 similar reports, it wouldn’t have been high on the agenda. Maybe it was fixed by accident.

• @ahallam said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ahallam said:

With less than 10 similar reports, it wouldn’t have been high on the agenda. Maybe it was fixed by accident.

Hopefully it IS fixed in iOS 15. This bug was a nightmare to me in the past year, I wouldn’t last another year with it.

• @ahallam said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ahallam said:

You can't go by that number. It's some random rune generated deep in the inner workings of the unintended artificial "intelligence" of Apple's bug tracking system. It will usually say that there are no similar reports for a bug that is being widely reported and discussed within Apple's dev forums and the wider world. The last bug I reported happened on every device and I know others reported it too, but it always read as no similar reports.

This bug does seem to be intermittent and hard to reproduce though. I suspect that you might be right and that it was accidentally fixed because of fixes or changes in some other part of the OS.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@ahallam said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ahallam said:

You can't go by that number. It's some random rune generated deep in the inner workings of the unintended artificial "intelligence" of Apple's bug tracking system. It will usually say that there are no similar reports for a bug that is being widely reported and discussed within Apple's dev forums and the wider world. The last bug I reported happened on every device and I know others reported it too, but it always read as no similar reports.

This bug does seem to be intermittent and hard to reproduce though. I suspect that you might be right and that it was accidentally fixed because of fixes or changes in some other part of the OS.

+1

I myself had spent many hours trying to find a way to reliably reproduce this bug but failed miserably.

• Guys I think I figured out another workaround/fix for the bug that does not require a device restart.. bear with me:

when you get hit with the bug and all plugins disappear, manually close the music app (the host). go to your settings app -> general -> iPhone storage. Wait for the apps list to populate. After that, the AU3 apps should be back.

Let me know if this is working for you.

• wimwim
    edited August 2021

@god said:
    Guys I think I figured out another workaround/fix for the bug that does not require a device restart.. bear with me:

when you get hit with the bug and all plugins disappear, manually close the music app (the host). go to your settings app -> general -> iPhone storage. Wait for the apps list to populate. After that, the AU3 apps should be back.

Interesting. That's a cool workaround if it works. However, a reboot would be faster given how many apps I have on my phone and how long that list takes to populate.

Sorry, still hangin' on 13.7 so I can't help test.

• @wim said:

@god said:
    Guys I think I figured out another workaround/fix for the bug that does not require a device restart.. bear with me:

Interesting. That's a cool workaround if it works. However, a reboot would be faster given how many apps I have on my phone and how long that list takes to populate.

Sorry, still hangin' on 13.7 so I can't help test.

Faster yeah but not as convenient. Off and On the device means one needs to stop EVERYTHING for ~two minutes while the device comes back while the storage fix allowsone to remain in a convo, or continue listening to podcast or watching video in PIP.

• Just happened to me in the latest iPadOS 15 beta. :(

• It also fixed itself by the next morning without a reboot. Not that that’s any better.

• Can you give a ballpark of how many AUs (or apps altogether) do you have installed please?

• iOS 15 checking in. This is definitely back.

• @Model10000 said:
    iOS 15 checking in. This is definitely back.

Oh come on Apple ! 😡 😤

• @mistercharlie said:
    Just happened to me in the latest iPadOS 15 beta. :(

Has it happened to you again since the release version of IOS 15 - or is it finally solved?

• @Bon_Tempi said:

@mistercharlie said:

Has it happened to you again since the release version of IOS 15 - or is it finally solved?

IPadOS15 has been out what, like 4 days, not seen that even once during that period :sunglasses:

• @Samu said:

@Bon_Tempi said:

@mistercharlie said:

IPadOS15 has been out what, like 4 days, not seen that even once during that period :sunglasses:

I’d give it a few more days. I’m suffering from this bug greatly, but even I seen occasions where it took a couple days for the bug occur again after reset.

• @god said:

@Samu said:

@Bon_Tempi said:

@mistercharlie said:

I’d give it a few more days. I’m suffering from this bug greatly, but even I seen occasions where it took a couple days for the bug occur again after reset.

Yepp, I've personally only had it happen less than a handful times on iPadOS14 (that was early iPadOS 14.x releases) so it's quite 'rare' when looking at the bigger picture of things. Didn't happen once during the time I was in iPadOS14.7 and 14.8...

Then again I'm on the oldest supported device and can't push 20+ 'modern' AUv3's at once (unless it's lightweight like Poison-202 which happily runs 20+ instances on my old iPad Air 2 if/when needed).

Sometimes it can be a combination of apps that trigger unexpected behavior which is very hard to track down.

At least the iPadOS15 release seems to be behaving quite well and not causing 'Everything's F'ked Up' like some previous iOS releases :sunglasses:

We'll likely see an avalanche go iOS15/iPadOS15 updates as developers were just a week ago allowed to submit the updates for 15...

• @Bon_Tempi said:

@mistercharlie said:

Not yet. But now I’m on the 15.1 beta!

• Had it on RC1, but not the non-beta… yet. Have had “plug-in invalidated” errors though, reload needed, but not iOS restart.

• edited October 2021

@mistercharlie said:

@Bon_Tempi said:

@mistercharlie said:

It still happened to me after installing the 15.0.2 release.

But, I am happy to report that it seems to happen much less now. Actually, only once, so far, within a few days.

And, most importantly, after it happened, the AUv3s came back after a while!
    After doing something else for a bit and starting AUM again, all the AUv3s were back! 😊

This is of course not ideal, but things are far better when no reboot is required. This changes the bug from a showstopper that prevents me from making music to an annoyance. Still pesky and disruptive, but it seems to recover, and I can come back to music dabbling after doing something else (in non-music apps) for a bit.

• @Orafu said:

@mistercharlie said:

@Bon_Tempi said:

@mistercharlie said:

It still happened to me after installing the 15.0.2 release.

But, I am happy to report that it seems to happen much less now. Actually, only once, so far, within a few days.

And, most importantly, after it happened, the AUv3s came back after a while!
    After doing something else for a bit and starting AUM again, all the AUv3s were back! 😊

This is of course not ideal, but things are far better when no reboot is required. This changes the bug from a showstopper that prevents me from making music to an annoyance. Still pesky and disruptive, but it seems to recover, and I can come back to music dabbling after doing something else (in non-music apps) for a bit.

This is good news. I’m still on iOS14 and were holding back because I wasn’t sure how many apps it broke, but if it help with that bug - I think I’ll go and upgrade on the coming weekend.