Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

THU—Holy Grail for Fender sound

Comments

• @Sabicas said:
    ... Not sure what type of reverb they used in those soundtracks. Plate?

gotta be spring reverb for surf. Nothing else cuts it.

• @wim said:

@Sabicas said:
    ... Not sure what type of reverb they used in those soundtracks. Plate?

gotta be spring reverb for surf. Nothing else cuts it.

Correct. My "not sure" comment was about the Morricone western themes.

• @MAtrixplan said:
    sorry for a beginner question - how many presets I will see after purchasing TH-U FULL?

Th-u full on iOS comes with over 400 presets
    spread over the first 11 banks. It’s extensive.

The rest of the banks down the list are for Rig presets, so when you buy the additional Rigs you can use the already prepared preset banks that will feature a rig profile plus a chain of th-u pedals and fx.

Keep in mind that the Overloud website features additional free preset banks you can download easily to iOS, and they even feature special monthly bank patches or artist patches for th-u full.

If you’re really into presets, I’ve recently discovered another cool trick. If you have a desktop you can use the free th-u full demo for 10 minutes and for 15 days. There are many many more preset banks in there and sub banks for specific amp sims. So you can export those banks to iOS easily.

• edited March 2021

@Sabicas said:
    If I want as close to authentic surf and spaghetti western sounds, which pack or rig should I try? The genres mentioned, if it isn't widely known, use heavy spring reverb and tremolo for surf........ and well, go listen to Morricone/Leone soundtracks for nasty, biting clean tones. Not sure what type of reverb they used in those soundtracks. Plate?

I've tried most of the modelers on IOS and THU came out on top specifically for the free Fender Twin amp.

@Sabicas

You will find exactly what you’re looking for in THU. Funk bundle will get you the closest, here’s why:

Brunetti SingleMan with matching cab. It will be your perfect amp. It’s Italian, it has an actual spring reverb circuit on the amp, it’s great for surf and Italianate cleans. Probably doesn’t get much more Morricone than the SingleMan.

Tweed deluxe amp. That scooped tweed tone is an evocation of a hay ball rolling through a gun fight. The other fender sims will get you close too. The Markus II has a tweedy scoop also. You have the Caliper clean and the Roland JC120 emulation, really a lot of appropriate amp/cab combos for your genre.

Amp Trem pedal. A great pedal emulation of a Fender tremolo circuit.

Univibrato pedal. Must have as a complement to the tremolo.

RSS comp, tube nine, a couple reverb racks. You’d be all set with the Funk. The JC vibrato pedal and AQTX Spring Reverb rack could be a la carte add-ons. So that’s all under $30. And you already get good free pedals for logging in.

The reason I would recommend this over a rig is because the rigs don’t feature reverb or vib trem circuits in their amp profiles, only high gain channels or baked in third party od/dist. So for your genre I’d recommend the Fender Tremolux rig but with with the amp trem pedal or all fx bundle. Also the serenity gain cleans are very surf spaghetti but most of those rig profiles are high gain.

So if it’s not the Funk bundle, I’d recommend a clean Fender rig or something else tweedy, plus all FX bundle and singleMan a la carte. But for $18 I think the funk is your best bet.

The THUeoretician has spoken 😎

• @JoyceRoadStudios Thanks for the recommendation. As I have no interest in playing funk, I probably would have overlooked that bundle. I'd expect it to have effects like auto-wah and envelope filters. Instead, I see it comes with a spring reverb, plate reverb and a tape delay. How are the quality of those effects? I was considering the Eventide Spring Reverb app, but haven't found any reviews of how good it is for surf guitar sounds. Spring verb tanks are one of those things that is difficult to make a convincing emulation of.

I'm looking forward to trying out that Brunetti. I'll probably be test driving it, tonight.

• ...and they even feature special monthly bank patches or artist patches for th-u full.

thanks! is this extra paid feature for full owners?

• @Sabicas said:
    @JoyceRoadStudios Thanks for the recommendation. As I have no interest in playing funk, I probably would have overlooked that bundle. I'd expect it to have effects like auto-wah and envelope filters. Instead, I see it comes with a spring reverb, plate reverb and a tape delay. How are the quality of those effects? I was considering the Eventide Spring Reverb app, but haven't found any reviews of how good it is for surf guitar sounds. Spring verb tanks are one of those things that is difficult to make a convincing emulation of.

I'm looking forward to trying out that Brunetti. I'll probably be test driving it, tonight.

Do you have a desktop/laptop by any chance? Because then you could try the thu demo for 10 minutes or for 15 days.

I believe the real Brunetti SingleMan comes with an Accutronics brand reverb tank, and the thu is actually an officially authorized emulation. But you could look up the Accutronics tank for research.

I would have to assume the Eventide spring is excellent, as are most of their products. I actually got it in a bundle sale but haven’t used it yet. I bet there are online demos of the sound.

• edited March 2021

@MAtrixplan said:

...and they even feature special monthly bank patches or artist patches for th-u full.

thanks! is this extra paid feature for full owners?

No not at all! These are always free. But you need to have the Full to use them, that’s all. You simply download each file onto your device, then click “import preset/bank” inside thu and locate the file download, and it will get added to the bottom of the banks. It’s that easy.

https://overloud.com/downloads/presets

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:

@Sabicas said:
    @JoyceRoadStudios Thanks for the recommendation. As I have no interest in playing funk, I probably would have overlooked that bundle. I'd expect it to have effects like auto-wah and envelope filters. Instead, I see it comes with a spring reverb, plate reverb and a tape delay. How are the quality of those effects? I was considering the Eventide Spring Reverb app, but haven't found any reviews of how good it is for surf guitar sounds. Spring verb tanks are one of those things that is difficult to make a convincing emulation of.

Do you have a desktop/laptop by any chance? Because then you could try the thu demo for 10 minutes or for 15 days.

I believe the real Brunetti SingleMan comes with an Accutronics brand reverb tank, and the thu is actually an officially authorized emulation. But you could look up the Accutronics tank for research.

I would have to assume the Eventide spring is excellent, as are most of their products. I actually got it in a bundle sale but haven’t used it yet. I bet there are online demos of the sound.

No desktop or laptop other than my work PC which is off-limits.

@SNystrom said:
    That is for the heads-up on the AC15.

I still need to spend some quality time with the Nembrini 30, so that should give you plenty of time to write one of your marvelously descriptive reviews of the 60's pack!

Looking forward to the Plexi as well.

I got the ‘60s pack on desktop today, and the iOS version for one dollar. But out of nowhere I’m also experiencing what appears to be tendinitis in my fretting wrist, so I haven’t had a chance to try it.

Taking it easy for a few days, my wife says “no guitars, and no masturbaring”, but she already says that every day.

Have you noticed the super 66 has all the knobs blurred out? Everything but the input jack and the level knob are not there. Haven't seen that on any others.

• @Bootsy said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

@SNystrom said:

I still need to spend some quality time with the Nembrini 30, so that should give you plenty of time to write one of your marvelously descriptive reviews of the 60's pack!

I got the ‘60s pack on desktop today, and the iOS version for one dollar. But out of nowhere I’m also experiencing what appears to be tendinitis in my fretting wrist, so I haven’t had a chance to try it.

Taking it easy for a few days, my wife says “no guitars, and no masturbaring”, but she already says that every day.

Have you noticed the super 66 has all the knobs blurred out? Everything but the input jack and the level knob are not there. Haven't seen that on any others.

Wow yeah wtf. I don’t think it was like this a week ago, I would have noticed. Must have been the latest minor update where they finally fixed strange amp power lights behavior.

So many quirks and updates that sometimes unintentionally mess up something else. But I really like these devs, they’re very quick, responsive, and hands on.

@Bootsy said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

@SNystrom said:

Wow yeah wtf. I don’t think it was like this a week ago, I would have noticed. Must have been the latest minor update where they finally fixed strange amp power lights behavior.

So many quirks and updates that sometimes unintentionally mess up something else. But I really like these devs, they’re very quick, responsive, and hands on.

Mines been like that since I bought it. I keep thinking an update will fix it but it hasn't yet.

• @Bootsy said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

@Bootsy said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

@SNystrom said:

Mines been like that since I bought it. I keep thinking an update will fix it but it hasn't yet.

Did you contact the devs ? I just sent them a snapshot of it, so expect it to be fixed.

How do you like this pack? Some of the new components are great, but it includes enough pre existing ones that I think this could have been a free expansion for the full pack.

@Bootsy said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

@Bootsy said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

@SNystrom said:

Did you contact the devs ? I just sent them a snapshot of it, so expect it to be fixed.

How do you like this pack? Some of the new components are great, but it includes enough pre existing ones that I think this could have been a free expansion for the full pack.

I like the 3 new amps ok. I think the top 15 and the super are my favs of this pack. The analogue booster is great. I agree though it should have been free or a lot cheaper for the full owners. I bought the Nembrini vox amp too and that is pretty great. Very jangly. But I find myself going back to the db 20th anniversary. It's just a lot of fun.

• @Bootsy said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

@Bootsy said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

@Bootsy said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

@SNystrom said:

I like the 3 new amps ok. I think the top 15 and the super are my favs of this pack. The analogue booster is great. I agree though it should have been free or a lot cheaper for the full owners. I bought the Nembrini vox amp too and that is pretty great. Very jangly. But I find myself going back to the db 20th anniversary. It's just a lot of fun.

Yeah totally dig the db 20th anniv. as well. It’s in my rotation of guitar apps. I can get a perfect concert hall vintage Brit rock or indie pop U2 kind of sound out of it.

• @JoyceRoadStudios

I purchased the "Funk and RnB" bundle and gave it a test drive for a while, last night. I haven't tried most of the models because, as I was working my way though the presets, I got stuck on the "Boutique Brilliance" model that showcases the Brunetti Singleman. It nailed what I was looking for only with only a few tweaks. I didn't mess with the EQ at all, but turned on "bright", "boost" and changed the smooth/fat/tweed control to "fat". I bumped up the model's reverb a bit and there it was. A nice biting spaghetti tone.

I'm playing it with a Jerry Jones (Danelectro copy) baritone which is pretty much the perfect guitar for this use.

Anyway, thanks for the tip.

• @Sabicas said:
    @JoyceRoadStudios

I purchased the "Funk and RnB" bundle and gave it a test drive for a while, last night. I haven't tried most of the models because, as I was working my way though the presets, I got stuck on the "Boutique Brilliance" model that showcases the Brunetti Singleman. It nailed what I was looking for only with only a few tweaks. I didn't mess with the EQ at all, but turned on "bright", "boost" and changed the smooth/fat/tweed control to "fat". I bumped up the model's reverb a bit and there it was. A nice biting spaghetti tone.

I'm playing it with a Jerry Jones (Danelectro copy) baritone which is pretty much the perfect guitar for this use.

Anyway, thanks for the tip.

Glad that worked for you, though I’m not surprised 😎

If you have no plans to get the full pack (getting the smaller bundles doesn’t discount it) then one of the smaller bundles for $18 is a great deal anyway. The funk is the best of the genre bundles, I think, though there are a few great components only available in the full. Some people get the all FX or all Distortion bundles, but after too many a la carte you’re paying the full. So squeeze out the funk and it could be all you need, but consider an amp specific Rig as well at some point. Trem63, Bassman, the other Fenders, Tone Impera, many more. Anyway the $18 bundle is like a few cents per component.

• So if I bought the Funk and R&B collection, is there no discount if I later buy the Full Pack?

• @gabal said:
    So if I bought the Funk and R&B collection, is there no discount if I later buy the Full Pack?

No. They do not credit bundles against the FULL. So, every bundle becomes lost cost.
    FULL is the smart move. I was about $50 stupid and eventually FULL was still cheaper to get
    the pieces I still coveted.

• @McD said:

@gabal said:
    So if I bought the Funk and R&B collection, is there no discount if I later buy the Full Pack?

No. They do not credit bundles against the FULL. So, every bundle becomes lost cost.
    FULL is the smart move. I was about $50 stupid and eventually FULL was still cheaper to get

Thank you, I will have to think carefully what to buy

• @gabal said:

@McD said:

@gabal said:

Thank you, I will have to think carefully what to buy

Another vote, a year later, for Funk bundle plus Rigs or your choice (I love the Twin still)

• @audiobussy said:
    Another vote, a year later, for Funk bundle plus Rigs or your choice (I love the Twin still)

There is a bundle of FX but they do NOT include the overdrives and distortions. But I foolishly went down the FX Bundle route.

Then @flo26 started demo'ing amps... especially the Lynch Box series and I picked up a
    several ala carte.

Then he demo some more amps and I think there was a discount on FULL and I just ended my credit card bleeding.

Then they released another batch of amps and FX not included in the FULL collection.

And people started recommending more and more Rigs. So, I picked up a couple Rigs.
    NOTE: You can add your own FX to any Rig if you have the FX. One of the best FX is a splitter
    that let's you route bass to one amp and mid-highs to another. Keeping the bass dry and crisp and using FX as needed above. I've use a batsman for the lows and a Rig above.

You can also push amps into amps and polish the chain with a Rig. There are no limits.

What's great about this amp is that is doesn't model Noise. These massive configurations
    do NOT hum with buzz or a raised noise floor. It's a bit crazy.

@flo26 went on got me hooked on Amplitube with the Fender 57 Custom Pro amp for $6.
    I invested in Amplitube years ago and it's an amazing amp for my tastes... clean but with that
    golden tube tone. A sound that helps me play for hours without ear fatigue and enjoy very low volumes for practice so you can really hear your strings details.

• @McD said:

@audiobussy said:

There is a bundle of FX but they do NOT include the overdrives and distortions. But I foolishly went down the FX Bundle route.

Then @flo26 started demo'ing amps... especially the Lynch Box series and I picked up a
    several ala carte.

Then he demo some more amps and I think there was a discount on FULL and I just ended my credit card bleeding.

Then they released another batch of amps and FX not included in the FULL collection.

And people started recommending more and more Rigs. So, I picked up a couple Rigs.
    NOTE: You can add your own FX to any Rig if you have the FX. One of the best FX is a splitter
    that let's you route bass to one amp and mid-highs to another. Keeping the bass dry and crisp and using FX as needed above. I've use a batsman for the lows and a Rig above.

You can also push amps into amps and polish the chain with a Rig. There are no limits.

What's great about this amp is that is doesn't model Noise. These massive configurations
    do NOT hum with buzz or a raised noise floor. It's a bit crazy.

@flo26 went on got me hooked on Amplitube with the Fender 57 Custom Pro amp for $6.
    I invested in Amplitube years ago and it's an amazing amp for my tastes... clean but with that
    golden tube tone. A sound that helps me play for hours without ear fatigue and enjoy very low volumes for practice so you can really hear your strings details.

I have the Fender 2 collection and enjoy it. Not Au3. Not the same. But cool, especially if you have it.

• I love THU Overloud.

That said, it took some doing to get back into digital gear becuase years and years ago the thing I never, ever liked about Pod, Pod XT et al, is the feeling of them. The "too crisp, too direct" feeling of them. To Compensate I used to run a half watt Zvex Nanohead into a load box and then into a Pod XT to use the pod for a cabinet only. That way I got the cranked Power tube feel, and some of he pod cabs were pretty good--it was a great practice or tracking rig.

The Twin in the POD people would rave about? I thought it sucked. Dry, plinky, no pleasant Fender breakup that a real Twin could get (albeit at ear bleeding volume.) That and the digital harshness, like weird off-key unpleasant harmonics, not the smooth tube type harmonic distortions that are pleasant to the ear.

That said, Nembrini and Overloud have done an INCREDIBLE job in the feel and harshness respect right out of the box. So did IK, but I found Amplitube to not FEEL right to me, too direct, too immediate, no give like a real tube amp.

But I just did a little experiment. I've been using "Guitar IR's" from 3 sigma, using them at the start of the chain in a THU Cab to make my strat more Les Paul or 335 toned. They work. As I was tweaking two of them to mix the 335 ish sound I wanted, I looked over at my little tube headphone amp that I got for late night listening--I plug an ipod into it and it sounds so much better than headphones out of the ipod itself.

So, I plugged the output of my Xtone into it. Plugged in the 7506's. Oh my. What I got is the amps that had a digital harshness in them in Overloud....its gone. Somehow the tubes cancel it it out. And THU sounds bigger and rounder, like I went up a gauge in strings, its somehow softer in sound aspect (not volume, but that tube squishy sound) but at the same time with more clarity. If you are into tube audio gear you know exactly what I mean.

This is the one I got on Amazon, cheap:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014FASL1A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The tubes that came with it, frankly, sucked. I put these NOS ones in, and it made a world of difference:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BFJDTW0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Has anyone else done anything like this with going out into a tube headphone amp? What I am saying is that I have played a lot of tube amps, own two still, and this turned Overloud into being right there with the best of them. Through Sony 7506's at listenable volume. And the thing has gain, you could hurt your hearing, but then its got plenty of headroom with the new tubes.

• @bobbyj8866 said:
    I love THU Overloud.

That said, it took some doing to get back into digital gear becuase years and years ago the thing I never, ever liked about Pod, Pod XT et al, is the feeling of them. The "too crisp, too direct" feeling of them. To Compensate I used to run a half watt Zvex Nanohead into a load box and then into a Pod XT to use the pod for a cabinet only. That way I got the cranked Power tube feel, and some of he pod cabs were pretty good--it was a great practice or tracking rig.

The Twin in the POD people would rave about? I thought it sucked. Dry, plinky, no pleasant Fender breakup that a real Twin could get (albeit at ear bleeding volume.) That and the digital harshness, like weird off-key unpleasant harmonics, not the smooth tube type harmonic distortions that are pleasant to the ear.

That said, Nembrini and Overloud have done an INCREDIBLE job in the feel and harshness respect right out of the box. So did IK, but I found Amplitube to not FEEL right to me, too direct, too immediate, no give like a real tube amp.

But I just did a little experiment. I've been using "Guitar IR's" from 3 sigma, using them at the start of the chain in a THU Cab to make my strat more Les Paul or 335 toned. They work. As I was tweaking two of them to mix the 335 ish sound I wanted, I looked over at my little tube headphone amp that I got for late night listening--I plug an ipod into it and it sounds so much better than headphones out of the ipod itself.

So, I plugged the output of my Xtone into it. Plugged in the 7506's. Oh my. What I got is the amps that had a digital harshness in them in Overloud....its gone. Somehow the tubes cancel it it out. And THU sounds bigger and rounder, like I went up a gauge in strings, its somehow softer in sound aspect (not volume, but that tube squishy sound) but at the same time with more clarity. If you are into tube audio gear you know exactly what I mean.

This is the one I got on Amazon, cheap:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014FASL1A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The tubes that came with it, frankly, sucked. I put these NOS ones in, and it made a world of difference:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BFJDTW0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Has anyone else done anything like this with going out into a tube headphone amp? What I am saying is that I have played a lot of tube amps, own two still, and this turned Overloud into being right there with the best of them. Through Sony 7506's at listenable volume. And the thing has gain, you could hurt your hearing, but then its got plenty of headroom with the new tubes.

I thought the more basic idea would be to put a tube pre-amp on the front end, if anything.

Can we agree that this is in a total different stratosphere than POD? :)

• Oh yeah, it’s a whole different beast than the Pod.

I find the tube headphone amp makes a huge difference. Sorta like the first time I played overloud into the effects return of an old Mesa 50/50– it smother out a lot of overtones that I didn’t like in certain amps.

• edited April 2021

I had the Pod XT and several other modelers. I hated them all but kept trying. I mostly go for clean sounds and got sick of people describing sterile, compressed, crystalline cleans as "pristine" in their reviews. Apparently, I don't like "pristine". They all sucked. All of them, until..... The first modeler that I ever got a decent clean sound out of was the little Vox DA5 amp, but it only had one good sound. The Fender Mustang amp had quite a few good cleans with Fender character. I thought it's Twin model was pretty great, actually.

JamUp was more of the same to me, compressed and cold. AmpKit was a little better. Bias FX had some cleans on par with the Mustang.

The Overloud sounds are the best I've heard, easily. It's a big jump. I'm talking out-of-the-box cleans. I haven't experimented with IRs or rigs yet. I've barely even tweaked the knobs. I've been playing on the free Twin model and the Brunetti Singleman pretty much exclusively.

I can't comment on distortions or overdrive as I just haven't had a need for that in a long time.

I own a Fender Deluxe anniversary reissue with upgraded cabinets and speakers. I already know it has a better spring reverb than modelers, but I don't know if I like the dry sound any better, at this point.

Spring Reverb and Tape Delay sounds are where modelers still lack, in my opinion. They somehow still don't have that deep "3D" feel to them. They've come a very long way and are more than acceptable, but I owned an actual Echoplex and there's still a pretty big gap between that and the modelers I've tried. "More than acceptable" isn't a phrase I would use to describe a real Echoplex.

• @Sabicas said:
    I had the Pod XT and several other modelers. I hated them all but kept trying. I mostly go for clean sounds and got sick of people describing sterile, compressed, crystalline cleans as "pristine" in their reviews. Apparently, I don't like "pristine". They all sucked. All of them, until..... The first modeler that I ever got a decent clean sound out of was the little Vox DA5 amp, but it only had one good sound. The Fender Mustang amp had quite a few good cleans with Fender character. I thought it's Twin model was pretty great, actually.

JamUp was more of the same to me, compressed and cold. AmpKit was a little better. Bias FX had some cleans on par with the Mustang.

The Overloud sounds are the best I've heard, easily. It's a big jump. I'm talking out-of-the-box cleans. I haven't experimented with IRs or rigs yet. I've barely even tweaked the knobs. I've been playing on the free Twin model and the Brunetti Singleman pretty much exclusively.

I can't comment on distortions or overdrive as I just haven't had a need for that in a long time.

I own a Fender Deluxe anniversary reissue with upgraded cabinets and speakers. I already know it has a better spring reverb than modelers, but I don't know if I like the dry sound any better, at this point.

Spring Reverb and Tape Delay sounds are where modelers still lack, in my opinion. They somehow still don't have that deep "3D" feel to them. They've come a very long way and are more than acceptable, but I owned an actual Echoplex and there's still a pretty big gap between that and the modelers I've tried. "More than acceptable" isn't a phrase I would use to describe a real Echoplex.

Great historical review. BTW, I LOVE the Twin rig.

• @bobbyj8866 said:
    Oh yeah, it’s a whole different beast than the Pod.

I find the tube headphone amp makes a huge difference. Sorta like the first time I played overloud into the effects return of an old Mesa 50/50– it smother out a lot of overtones that I didn’t like in certain amps.

Interesting that you used it as a front end

• When editing a preset, is there a way to show all of the amps at once instead of slowly scrolling through them one by one. is there any way to filter these giant lists to only show things (amps/fx) you already own instead of the bazillion things you could possibly buy?
    Thnx