Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sennheiser Ambeo smart headset

Comments

• el_bo:
    I have Ambeo and Lom mikroUši (with Olympus LS-10)

Lom mikroUši are quieter (less self noise)
    but Ambeo are not as noisy as you think...
    And I would say they are diffrent mics for diffrent things.
    I would use Lom mikroUši for indoor recordings, especially when I want well defined sound
    ( like sampling instruments, objects etc )
    and I would use Ambeo for ambient recordings - outdoors etc.

for me - both have a good low level of self noise
    compared to zoom recs of other...

• @el_bo said:
    Listening to audio examples of the AMBEO, I notice there seems to be quite a lot of self-noise/nose-floor. Has anyone been able to compare them to Lom mikroUši or EM272?

These seem so low-profile and that makes them useful…but for the hiss.

Thanks

The self-noise of the headset is actually very low, the problem I encounter with them is actually ambient/environmental noise. Where I live there is always a low-level hum of traffic etc that permeates every outdoor recording and is pretty much impossible to avoid unless you record at 3am.

• @richardyot said:

@el_bo said:
    Listening to audio examples of the AMBEO, I notice there seems to be quite a lot of self-noise/nose-floor. Has anyone been able to compare them to Lom mikroUši or EM272?

Thanks

The self-noise of the headset is actually very low, the problem I encounter with them is actually ambient/environmental noise. Where I live there is always a low-level hum of traffic etc that permeates every outdoor recording and is pretty much impossible to avoid unless you record at 3am.

Yeah they are incredibly sensitive, I wear a hat or hoodie outside as well for wind…

• @waka_x said:
    el_bo:
    I have Ambeo and Lom mikroUši (with Olympus LS-10)

Lom mikroUši are quieter (less self noise)
    but Ambeo are not as noisy as you think...
    And I would say they are diffrent mics for diffrent things.
    I would use Lom mikroUši for indoor recordings, especially when I want well defined sound
    ( like sampling instruments, objects etc )
    and I would use Ambeo for ambient recordings - outdoors etc.

for me - both have a good low level of self noise
    compared to zoom recs of other...

Thanks!

From the examples I've listened to, the Lom stuff, Clippy EM272 are not only quieter but seem more capable of a much more dynamic representation. The AMBEO seem flat in comparison. Without any real comparison/scrutiny, the AMBEO seem to do a pretty good job. I jut kept hearing more hiss in certain examples. However, I've just found a much better demonstration that shows, like you said, they aren't too hissy.

Of course, the recording does highlight one of the major downsides of the AMBEO i.e No wind protection

My biggest interest in the AMBEO is not for city walks, general crowd recordings (I have the Free-To-Use bundle, which has more of that stuff than I'd ever need). What I'm really interested in is good quality, low-profile microphones that I can use to sample my voice straight into the iPad, while on-the-go. I do have an Apogee ONE, which does a great job, but that's an extra box, albeit small, that requires its own batteries and cabling. Having the AMBEO plugged straight into the lightning port without the need for extra headphones seems like luxury.

The only issue (And this only just came to mind), is that I'm guessing the Binaural recordings have to be mixed-down to be used as stereo or MONO recordings? Is that even possible on the iPad?

For high quality recordings, I'm definitely after the Lom or similar. Have my eyes on these:

https://immersivesoundscapes.com/earsight-standard-microphone/EARSIGHT-NANO-Stereo-pair-p487638643

Thanks again :)

• @richardyot said:

@el_bo said:

Thanks

Thanks!

Seems we're in similar situations regarding traffic and other environmental noise. Until now, I've used a Zoom H2N to record outside. Took me a long time to get used to the playback, as I think we tend to filter much of this stuff out when we're actually out in it. So it's quite a shock to hear it all vying for attention.

Do you work solely on iOS or do you have access to Desktop audio cleaning tools? Or have you perhaps tried Brusfri, in order to try and tidy things up?

• @Krupa said:

@richardyot said:

@el_bo said:

Thanks

Yeah they are incredibly sensitive, I wear a hat or hoodie outside as well for wind…

Hmmm...That's a good idea.

• I will definitely be trying with brusfri and will let you know how I get on. Brusfri is a must-have for anyone doing recording, I reckon

@el_bo said:

@richardyot said:

@el_bo said:

Thanks

Thanks!

Seems we're in similar situations regarding traffic and other environmental noise. Until now, I've used a Zoom H2N to record outside. Took me a long time to get used to the playback, as I think we tend to filter much of this stuff out when we're actually out in it. So it's quite a shock to hear it all vying for attention.

Do you work solely on iOS or do you have access to Desktop audio cleaning tools? Or have you perhaps tried Brusfri, in order to try and tidy things up?

• @Gavinski said:
    I will definitely be trying with brusfri and will let you know how I get on. Brusfri is a must-have for anyone doing recording, I reckon

@el_bo said:

@richardyot said:

@el_bo said:

Thanks

Thanks!

Thanks 😊

Would definitely be curious to hear about your experience. Brusfri would only be necessary for me if AMBEO can be easily used (almost) immediately on iPad. If I end up needing to use desktop for processing then that’s a whole other thing.

• edited February 2023

The only issue (And this only just came to mind), is that I'm guessing the Binaural recordings have to be mixed-down to be used as stereo or MONO recordings? Is that even possible on the iPad?>

@el_bo @Gavinski Forgive my ignorance, but aren’t the recordings made via the Ambeo headset just regular stereo recordings? Sennheiser doesn’t seem to have a bespoke recording app for them because they record to a different ‘binaural’ format. As far as I can understand from looking them up, the thing that makes them binaural is simply the positioning of the mics on your ears - they don’t have additional front/rear capsules for recording true surround sound and as such there’s no special software requirement to play the recorded files back with the ‘binaural effect’. Any app which can record/playback stereo files will do - or is that wrong? Leave the files as stereo and the binaural effect will remain as long as the listener is using headphones. Converting to mono will of course loose the effect of being there. Is that correct? I’m interested in these myself after seeing this thread so, yes, @Gavinski please do post your experience if you get them.

• @Robin2 said:

The only issue (And this only just came to mind), is that I'm guessing the Binaural recordings have to be mixed-down to be used as stereo or MONO recordings? Is that even possible on the iPad?>

@el_bo @Gavinski Forgive my ignorance, but aren’t the recordings made via the Ambeo headset just regular stereo recordings? Sennheiser doesn’t seem to have a bespoke recording app for them because they record to a different ‘binaural’ format. As far as I can understand from looking them up, the thing that makes them binaural is simply the positioning of the mics on your ears - they don’t have additional front/rear capsules for recording true surround sound and as such there’s no special software requirement to play the recorded files back with the ‘binaural effect’. Any app which can record/playback stereo files will do - or is that wrong? Leave the files as stereo and the binaural effect will remain as long as the listener is using headphones. Converting to mono will of course loose the effect of being there. Is that correct? I’m interested in these myself after seeing this thread so, yes, @Gavinski please do post your experience if you get them.

That's correct

• @Gavinski said:

@Robin2 said:

That's correct

For the price they're currently selling for I'm very happy with the effect and willing to forgive them quite a lot!

• Thanks for clarifying @Gavinski , appreciate it.

• @Robin2 said:

Thanks! Had no idea.

I do like binaural, though I lost my H2N's binaural mic to a cat-pushing-things-off-a-standing-desk incident. Fortunately the other mic's still work. But the AMBEO thing for me now has become more about practicality - looking for as friction-free a mobile experience as possible.

Suffice to say, I'm not so bothered about losing the effect of being there when employing them for 'straight' recording duties. I wonder, though, whether BM3 will have some troubles using this type of audio?

• @Gavinski said:
    Thanks Nige! Yeah I would have been very surprised if an adapter wouldn't work. Likely going to buy these, cheers! > @enkaytee said:

@richardyot said:

@Gavinski said:

@Synthi said:
    HI! I got two pairs of Ambeo that I have permanent attached to my upright and grand piano (I find them great as a spaced omni pair, an they work better than my earthworks TC30s in the piano!) . I`ve been using them for recording with the iPad pro 10´5 and iphone6. Now I want to use the ARi4 (no lightning connector) so I got an Anker lightning to USB-c converter, but the Ambeo headset works in Mono! but in audioshare and in AUM. Anyone using a converter to USB-C that can guide me?? its supossed to work with the anker...

I'm quite interested in getting a pair of these. So are you saying that using a lightning to USB C adapter will make them sound mono? That would be a deal breaker. Maybe @richardyot or someone could comment on this 🙏

I don't have a Lightning to USB-C connector so I'm not able to test. But since they're specifically Lightning headphones I wouldn't really expect them to work with USB-C.

The Ambeos definitely work in stereo on my iPad Pro 3rd gen with the Anker adapter - the 3d recording also works - I use TW recorder and it's pretty impressive.

If you look on ebay, Anker are selling the adapters and you can actually make an offer - I got mine for £4 less than the asking price.

Did you buy the Ambeos, @Gavinski?

• @andowrites said:

@Gavinski said:
    Thanks Nige! Yeah I would have been very surprised if an adapter wouldn't work. Likely going to buy these, cheers! > @enkaytee said:

@richardyot said:

@Gavinski said:

@Synthi said:
    HI! I got two pairs of Ambeo that I have permanent attached to my upright and grand piano (I find them great as a spaced omni pair, an they work better than my earthworks TC30s in the piano!) . I`ve been using them for recording with the iPad pro 10´5 and iphone6. Now I want to use the ARi4 (no lightning connector) so I got an Anker lightning to USB-c converter, but the Ambeo headset works in Mono! but in audioshare and in AUM. Anyone using a converter to USB-C that can guide me?? its supossed to work with the anker...

I'm quite interested in getting a pair of these. So are you saying that using a lightning to USB C adapter will make them sound mono? That would be a deal breaker. Maybe @richardyot or someone could comment on this 🙏

I don't have a Lightning to USB-C connector so I'm not able to test. But since they're specifically Lightning headphones I wouldn't really expect them to work with USB-C.

The Ambeos definitely work in stereo on my iPad Pro 3rd gen with the Anker adapter - the 3d recording also works - I use TW recorder and it's pretty impressive.

If you look on ebay, Anker are selling the adapters and you can actually make an offer - I got mine for £4 less than the asking price.

I did! Hopefully they'll arrive tomorrow and I'll definitely give you a full report

• @Gavinski said:

@andowrites said:

@Gavinski said:

@richardyot said:

@Gavinski said:

@Synthi said:

I did! Hopefully they'll arrive tomorrow and I'll definitely give you a full report

Brilliant. I've found some at a good price, and the Anker adaptor half price too. I look forward to hearing your report!

• @richardyot said:

@el_bo said:

Thanks

That’s definitely a time where izotope rx comes in handy. When noise is fairly steady, it’s easy to extract. Brusfri works great there too. I have it for Mac, not iOS, but I assume it is the same. Brusfri is finely tuned gates rather than spectral processing, from what I gathered in their app description, but it does work really well.

• @Robin2 said:

Binaural means “two ears,” so a binaural recording is supposed to have the effect of hearing what your ears would hear. It’s just a stereo wav file (or any other format), but what makes it binaural is having the mics in ears. The pinnae (outer ear) shape gives directional information to the sound, which you can then hear on headphones. If you listen to a binaural recording on speakers, then it just sounds like a stereo recording

Check out chesky records’ website, there’s a page of albums that David Chesky recorded with a binaural head. There’s some amazing stuff there.

I’m tempted to get the amber because I absolutely love binaural recordings. I made my binaural head, which I showed earlier in the thread, but having mics that are always with me to do it in situations where I can’t set up Larry would be cool. Larry has omni lavalier capsules from Naiant microphones in the silicon ears. I had them built with xlr connections so that they can take phantom power and be used in my regular recording system, but my phone is always with me.

It could be fun to put these on a drummer for a cool perspective while recording. I can’t do that with a binaural head because it would be in the way! Hmmm….

• @mrufino1 said:

@richardyot said:

@el_bo said:

Thanks

That’s definitely a time where izotope rx comes in handy. When noise is fairly steady, it’s easy to extract. Brusfri works great there too. I have it for Mac, not iOS, but I assume it is the same. Brusfri is finely tuned gates rather than spectral processing, from what I gathered in their app description, but it does work really well.

+1 for Brusfri. It gets some great results.

• @andowrites said:

@mrufino1 said:

@richardyot said:

@el_bo said:

Thanks

My mic chain is not the best, due to my current insistence on not using an audio interface. I want to lie on my bed and make vids, and don't want a huge mic blocking my view of the screen. Brusfri is a lifesaver, as is fabfilter Pro-G

• Made this with the Ambeo set using Wavebox to record:

• @skiphunt said:
    Made this with the Ambeo set using Wavebox to record:

This sounds interesting, even over stereo desktop speakers.

• @skiphunt said:

Brilliant! This genuinely transported me to Mexico and brought a huge grin to my face as well. Wonderful. Excited to record Chinese street sounds with this

• @skiphunt said:

Wow. Love it.

• I'm thinking I can use this for contemplative nature walks and guided meditations outdoors in the wilds, and for field recordings for meditative ambient and soundscapes. I'm looking forward to experimenting with these very much.

• @andowrites said:

@skiphunt said:

Wow. Love it.

Thanks 🙏

• @Gavinski said:

@skiphunt said:

Brilliant! This genuinely transported me to Mexico and brought a huge grin to my face as well. Wonderful. Excited to record Chinese street sounds with this

Gracias 😊 straight recording. Only normalized with a fade in/out in Wavebox

The part at the end was outside the market with a bit of breeze and didn’t even get any wind noise :)

• @Gavinski said:

@andowrites said:

@mrufino1 said:

@richardyot said:

@el_bo said:

Thanks

My mic chain is not the best, due to my current insistence on not using an audio interface. I want to lie on my bed and make vids, and don't want a huge mic blocking my view of the screen. Brusfri is a lifesaver, as is fabfilter Pro-G

You know what sounds really good, surprisingly? One of those little $6 mics on amazon/ eBay that looks like a handheld mic but is smaller than your pinky. It has a trrs plug on the end, but sounds great going into the lighting headphone adapter. I have one in my bag all the time just in case I get a quick idea and want to hum it in while driving or something.

I bet a lav mic meant to plug into the same connector would work well too.

• @skiphunt That’s amazing!

I’ve had a set of Ambeos for a few months (since the last time they cropped up here, basically, but haven’t used them much for recording (they’re great for sound cancellation).

My one finished piece using a short section recorded by a Scottish loch, walking up some metal stairs from a beach and through a gate:

Other binaural albums worth a listen:

Edgar Froese: Aqua
    Lou Reed: Street Hassle

• edited February 2023

Pendle Poucher, the developer behind Sound Dust swears by these for his binaural samples.

Don't know if they'd work with an adapter cable on a mobile device without a 3.5 input Jack...