Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3.1.2 and Late Summer Sale available (ends Sept 14, 2020)

Comments

• There is one other possible cause: if you “Offload” an app to save space, updates do not show in the App Store.

• Nope, definitely not signed-in under another Apple ID. Have had the same one exclusively since day one.

I have over that same period of time consistently received update notifications for all of my App Store purchase except for my Cubasis LE 3 to full 3 "upgrades."

For me personally, it's not that big of an issue. @Lars does an excellent job of posting updates here on the forum, so not a problem for me.

The purpose of my post was to inform Lars of this issue in order to hopefully prevent others in my situation who aren't forum members from writing negative App Store reviews of CB3 only because they were never made aware of the updates.

Just looking-out for Lars and the team.

• edited September 2020

I bought C3 at launch, but requested a refund because I felt it had far too many bugs.

What's the situation like today?
    I feel like I'm still seeing a lot issues being reported, both here, and on the Steinberg forum.

It's the final day of the sale.
    I'm wondering if it's time to jump back in?

• Thank you @Lars for fixing the App Store update issue I pointed-out above...

I fully expected you and your awesome staff would get to it sooner than later, but I’m grateful at how quickly you guys were able to solve it!

🙌

• It works great @blakkaz, grab it. Just my opinion, tho.

• edited September 2020

@blakkaz said:
    I bought C3 at launch, but requested a refund because I felt it had far too many bugs.

What's the situation like today?

Tons better!

I feel like I'm still seeing a lot issues being reported, both here, and on the Steinberg forum.

Oh for sure.

It's the final day of the sale.
    I'm wondering if it's time to jump back in?

Up to you. If I still commuted I would use it but the clunky clip (event) movement downgrade from C2 would drive me nuts.

• Love cubasis 3 new update although it will only be a completed daw when midi control mapping will be available. That beautiful mixer needs to be controlled physically. :)

I keep waiting. I know it will come some day.

• @LinearLineman said:
    It works great @blakkaz, grab it. Just my opinion, tho.

+1

• edited September 2020

@Vlad11 said:
    Love cubasis 3 new update although it will only be a completed daw when midi control mapping will be available. That beautiful mixer needs to be controlled physically. :)

I keep waiting. I know it will come some day.

Yesssss!

Though track freeze has been giving me trouble lately. Complete audio glitch and drop out. Have to close and reopen. Some apps effects don't get recorded into the file such as Zeeon built in effects.

Pure Synth and Ravenscroft issues even after the PSP update aka crash Cubasis 3, and audio glitch out.

Think I'm going to offload the app and reinstall. Hoping this solves the issues.

• @Lars Wasn’t a big fan of CB2. Am now a big fan of CB3! Need to do a little more testing for certain things I am looking for but I sure wish I got into it sooner! 😎👍🏼

• @Vlad11 said: That beautiful mixer needs to be controlled physically. :) I keep waiting. I know it will come some day.

@lars: Yup, I agree. If I could control the mixer with my Launchcontrol XL, and have the automation record the results, that one thing would get me to move on from CB2.

• edited September 2020

@LFS Hi! I found a repeatable crash with Cubasis 3, these are the details:

Steps:

1. Open Cubasis
    2. Create a new empty project
    3. Add a MIDI track
    4. Switch to an AU instrument
    5. Open the UI for the instrument
    6. Switch to another app, leaving Cubasis in the background
    7. Cubasis crashes within 15 seconds (red mic icon disappears)

Additional details:

• The crash doesn't happen if I don't switch to another app
    • The crash doesn't happen if background audio is disabled
    • The crash doesn't happen if the AU UI is minimized when Cubasis is moved to the background
    • The crash happens with or without "Studio quality" enabled
    • The crash happens whether the device is being charged or not
    • The crash happens with or without external audio interfaces plugged in
    • The crash doesn't happen with built-in instruments or effects
    • The crash also happens with AU effects
    • The crash happens with multiple vendors (I tried Nikolozi, Burns Audio, Audio Damage, ToneBoosters and others)
    • The crash doesn't happen with AUM or NanoStudio 2 using comparable steps
    • The crash happens in iPadOS 14.0 (iPad Pro 12.9" 3rd gen), iPadOS 13.7 (iPad 5th gen) and iOS 14.0 (iPhone XR)
    • The crash logs all say some variation of "9 seconds cpu time over 11 second (84% cpu average), exceeding limit of 60% cpu over 15 seconds"

Let me know if you'd like me to send the same information somewhere else. Thanks!

• @NoiseFloored said:

Steps:

1. Open Cubasis
    3. Add a MIDI track

Additional details:

• The crash doesn't happen if the AU UI is minimized when Cubasis is moved to the background
    • The crash happens with multiple vendors (I tried Nikolozi, Burns Audio, Audio Damage, ToneBoosters and others)
    • The crash happens in iPadOS 14.0 (iPad Pro 12.9" 3rd gen), iPadOS 13.7 (iPad 5th gen) and iOS 14.0 (iPhone XR)
    • The crash logs all say some variation of "9 seconds cpu time over 11 second (84% cpu average), exceeding limit of 60% cpu over 15 seconds"

Let me know if you'd like me to send the same information somewhere else. Thanks!

Might be a good idea to bring this to the Cubasis forum.

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=300

• @anickt thanks! I wasn’t aware they had a forum; I’ll report this there

• @NoiseFloored said:
    @anickt thanks! I wasn’t aware they had a forum; I’ll report this there

I’ll drop this over there since I’m already registered. OK? I can confirm.

• edited September 2020

@NoiseFloored said:

Steps:

1. Open Cubasis
    3. Add a MIDI track

Additional details:

Confirmed.

• @anickt: I already did here, maybe you want to add the confirmation to it?

• @NoiseFloored said:
    @anickt: I already did here, maybe you want to add the confirmation to it?

Yeah I did confirm. Your post over hadn’t shown up yet and my posts are on moderation as a newbie over there. 😆Thanks!

• :) thanks. The good news about this (to me) is that I think it explains most of what I though of as "random" crashes. I've been closing the plugins UIs before switching apps or locking the ipad and Cubasis has been running rock solid for the past day.

• LFSLFS
    edited September 2020

@NoiseFloored said:

Steps:

1. Open Cubasis
    3. Add a MIDI track

Additional details:

Hi NoiseFloored,

Thank you for your message, we are able to reproduce the problem.

Known issue
    Cubasis 3.1.3 is terminated by iOS 14 if it is sent to the background with an Audio Unit's UI open and the Background Audio setup option enabled.

Workaround
    Close any Audio Unit UIs (effect rack, instrument rack) before switching to the home screen or another app.

The issue will be addressed in the next Cubasis update.

Best,
    Lars

• @NoiseFloored said:
    @LFS thank you!

Thanks for sharing the report @NoiseFloored!

• @Svetlovska said:

@Vlad11 said: That beautiful mixer needs to be controlled physically. :) I keep waiting. I know it will come some day.

@lars: Yup, I agree. If I could control the mixer with my Launchcontrol XL, and have the automation record the results, that one thing would get me to move on from CB2.

Hi @Svetlovska,

We are aware of the hardware controller support request which is on our list for some time, but it might take some time still unfortunately

Best,
    Lars

• @anickt said:
    @Lars Wasn’t a big fan of CB2. Am now a big fan of CB3! Need to do a little more testing for certain things I am looking for but I sure wish I got into it sooner! 😎👍🏼

HI @anickt,

We're glad to read this, thanks for sharing!
    Enjoy using Cubasis 3!

Best,
    Lars

• LFSLFS
    edited September 2020

@SNystrom said:
    Thank you @Lars for fixing the App Store update issue I pointed-out above...

I fully expected you and your awesome staff would get to it sooner than later, but I’m grateful at how quickly you guys were able to solve it!

🙌

Hi @SNystrom,

Thanks for your message.

Actually, we did not change anything, would also think this fully belongs to Apple's area...

Best,
    Lars

• @LFS said:

@anickt said:
    @Lars Wasn’t a big fan of CB2. Am now a big fan of CB3! Need to do a little more testing for certain things I am looking for but I sure wish I got into it sooner! 😎👍🏼

HI @anickt,

Enjoy using Cubasis 3!

Best,
    Lars

Thanks @Lars

I was working on a song today that I had started on another app. The user experience was night and day! Very smooth overall operation. I’ve run across a couple of minor things that I will post on your forum along with a couple of small feature requests. Great app!

• @anickt said:

@LFS said:

@anickt said:

HI @anickt,

Enjoy using Cubasis 3!

Best,
    Lars

Thanks @Lars

I was working on a song today that I had started on another app. The user experience was night and day! Very smooth overall operation. I’ve run across a couple of minor things that I will post on your forum along with a couple of small feature requests. Great app!

Again, glad to read this @anickt!
    Thank you & keep up enjoying making music!

Best,
    Lars

• edited September 2020

@LFS I bought CB3 about 2 weeks ago. It looked nice and shinny but what frustration it as been.

Last week the sound from my audio interface (ur22 mkii) stopped going to CB3 during a session. Tried a bunch of things no go. Go to audiobus, works fine. Back to CB3 nothing. Shutdown everything and still nothing. Goes to CB2, wok fine. Back to CB3, finally works. Whatever time I had for music is gone.

Today start a brand new track. Add Poison-202 try to put some midi note. This thing refuse to put any notes. It just does a selection. Mess around with the pen and selection tool. Close everything restarts. Still no go. Goes back to good old CB2.

I am pretty frustrated and I’m not even talking about the small in app behaviour that where working fine in CB2. Here’s a example that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

@LFS why when I copy/paste a midi pattern the original and the copy are both selected. You then have to unselect them to reselect the copy to move it. That is extremely annoying.

I am very disapointed. I thought it was now working without problems. I’m going back to CB2 and I’m going to start checking Zenbeat 2.0.

Btw I am on iOS 13.4

• @ecou said:
    @LFS I bought CB3 about 2 weeks ago. It looked nice and shinny but what frustration it as been.

Last week the sound from my audio interface (ur22 mkii) stopped going to CB3 during a session. Tried a bunch of things no go. Go to audiobus, works fine. Back to CB3 nothing. Shutdown everything and still nothing. Goes to CB2, wok fine. Back to CB3, finally works. Whatever time I had for music is gone.

Today start a brand new track. Add Poison-202 try to put some midi note. This thing refuse to put any notes. It just does a selection. Mess around with the pen and selection tool. Close everything restarts. Still no go. Goes back to good old CB2.

I am pretty frustrated and I’m not even talking about the small in app behaviour that where working fine in CB2. Here’s a example that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

@LFS why when I copy/paste a midi pattern the original and the copy are both selected. You then have to unselect them to reselect the copy to move it. That is extremely annoying.

I am very disapointed. I thought it was now working without problems. I’m going back to CB2 and I’m going to start checking Zenbeat 2.0.

Btw I am on iOS 13.4

Hi @ecou,

Sorry to read that you seem to have issues with Cubasis.

If possible, please provide me with detailed reports (see our form below), to enable our engineers to reproduce the problem.

Thanks,
    Lars

Reporting Form (Feature Requests / Issues)

1. Summary/Title
      (Provide a short but descriptive sentence that summaries the issue or feature request)

2. Description
      (Provide a detailed description and list the step by step process to reproduce the issue to help the team to understand and reproduce the problem)

3. Expected Results
      (Describe what you expected to see)

4. Actual Results
      (Describe what you actually saw)

5. Environment
      (Count the hardware and software including version numbers being used)

• edited October 2020

I came across a problem yesterday with Apple Pencil support while trying to enter MIDI notes in the piano roll (Apple Pencil 1, iPad Pro 10.5 inch) using Draw mode. Note entry is very unreliable - more often than not, you end up deleting a previous note, or instigating the 'hold' function where the horizontal and vertical bars surround the cell you're selecting (I don't know what that's called). I can tap directly in the middle of a cell and no new note appears. Same to the left hand side or right hand side of the cell. This happens even when zooming in a long way.

I made sure this was a problem with the app by then trying the same thing in Nanostudio 2, where MIDI note entry worked as expected even at low Zoom levels.