Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3.1.2 and Late Summer Sale available (ends Sept 14, 2020)

Comments

• @mlau said:
    finally got Cubasis 3 ... really great daw ! tx @LFS

Hi @mlau,

Thanks! Hope you will enjoy using the app!

Best,
    Lars

• @LFS and team
    Thank you for this essential and beautiful update! :)

• @LFS said:

@eross said:

@LFS said:

@TimRussell said:
    Am away from my iPad, does anyone know if this update fixes the issue with audio output via Bluetooth sounding terrible (it’s not mentioned above)?

Hi @TimRussell,

Already replied to this a few days ago.
    Should not be an issue, please let me know about your feedback.

Hi @eross, Hi @TimRussell,

Please try these steps:

Please make sure BT is enabled in the iOS settings, and that the headphone is paired
    Go to "Setup/Audio"
    Enable "Bluetooth / AirPlay" by tapping the button
    If you still encounter audio quality issues, please go to "Setup/Project" and re-select the sample rate setting.

Best wishes,
    Lars

this seems to be working now. thanks. the only bug i have seen is my Waves limiter in app purchase, plugin is not working. i tried to restore it in the store. it says it restored, but when i load it into a track. the limiter gui is onscreen, but no audio is processing in it. i check to make sure it was turned on and it is. not sure what is going i. there. please let them know to check that out. thanks again

Hi @eross,

Can you reproduce this with a new project? If so, please let me know the steps.

Thanks!

Lars

I just tried with a new project and it works, maybe it was something weird with an old file. thanks that helped.

• @eross said:

@LFS said:

@eross said:

@LFS said:

@TimRussell said:
    Am away from my iPad, does anyone know if this update fixes the issue with audio output via Bluetooth sounding terrible (it’s not mentioned above)?

Hi @TimRussell,

Already replied to this a few days ago.
    Should not be an issue, please let me know about your feedback.

Hi @eross, Hi @TimRussell,

Please try these steps:

Please make sure BT is enabled in the iOS settings, and that the headphone is paired
    Go to "Setup/Audio"
    Enable "Bluetooth / AirPlay" by tapping the button
    If you still encounter audio quality issues, please go to "Setup/Project" and re-select the sample rate setting.

Best wishes,
    Lars

this seems to be working now. thanks. the only bug i have seen is my Waves limiter in app purchase, plugin is not working. i tried to restore it in the store. it says it restored, but when i load it into a track. the limiter gui is onscreen, but no audio is processing in it. i check to make sure it was turned on and it is. not sure what is going i. there. please let them know to check that out. thanks again

Hi @eross,

Can you reproduce this with a new project? If so, please let me know the steps.

Thanks!

Lars

I just tried with a new project and it works, maybe it was something weird with an old file. thanks that helped.

Great, Thanks for the updated feedback, @eross!

• @nick said:
    @LFS and team
    Thank you for this essential and beautiful update! :)

Thanks @nick!

• @LFS thanks for the update. I have Cubasis 2 with all IAPs and Cubasis 3 LE as I have a Steinberg interface. If I do the upgrade to full CB3 can I use the IAPs from CB2 or do I have to buy CB3 versions of them? Thanks

• @LFS said:
    Dear all,

First of all I hope you're up and well!

Today we have some good news!

The next update of Cubasis 3 is now available through the App Store and Google Play Store.
    Version 3.1.2 includes fixes and enhancements for the iOS and Android versions of Cubasis 3 as well as Cubasis LE for iOS.

Also new to the table is the Cubasis LE trial version for Android!

And check out our late summer sale: from August 24, 2020, until September 14, 2020, prices
    for Cubasis and its in-app purchases are discounted.

Stay healthy,
    Lars

Fantastic news!! Thank you for the update!! I already have all of your IAPs, so you'll need to develop some more so that I can buy them! :wink:

• @LFS, ok now. Where key icon appears it came up as “Pads”. Is that a toggle point?

• @LinearLineman said:
    @LFS, ok now. Where key icon appears it came up as “Pads”. Is that a toggle point?

I think: you tap the "Pads" to open them, them throw the switch on the pads window to change to keys.

• Thanks, @uncledave. Very avuncular of you.

• @Gratouilli said:
    @LFS, thanks to the team for this update.

One (old) question to which I can't find any clear answer and that I don't understand the reason(s)... could you please enlight us about this subject :

• Why the hell it is so difficult, not to say impossible, to sync Cubasis with other apps and the SO CONVINIENT start/stop buttons in Audiobus or AUM 😩🤔 ?

As CB3 is supposed to have been rewritten from scratch, why continuing to deprive us users to this absolute "basic" and necessary fonction 😥 ?... really, tell me if I miss something... but, as I can't even imagine that this could be because of lack of coding knowledge, I just can't understand such a choice from Steinberg... 🙏

Is my question "sort of polemic" ? 🤔

• Every update leaves me sad that we still don’t have pitch automation. One day...

• Well, the good news is that the horrendous crashes every couple of minutes have been fixed by this update. I recorded a piece today in Cubasis 3 with a lot of real audio and working this way the app is a delight. It is now useable. But, When I’d finished I switched over to working on a very synth heavy piece. AUV3’s still perform better in Cubasis 2. So for a project heavy on synths and effects the old app is still superior.

• edited August 2020

Does automation now move with events?
    The same behaviour when you copy/paste?

• @blakkaz said:
    Does automation now move with events?
    The same behaviour when you copy/paste?

Like this?

• @AudioGus said:
    Like this?

Thanks!

If you were to copy and paste that clip a few times, would the automation be duplicated?

• edited August 2020

@blakkaz said:

@AudioGus said:
    Like this?

Thanks!

If you were to copy and paste that clip a few times, would the automation be duplicated?

Yes!

Looks like you can only paste events with the automation window closed though, which isn’t a huge deal.

• @Jamie_Mallender said:
    Well, the good news is that the horrendous crashes every couple of minutes have been fixed by this update. I recorded a piece today in Cubasis 3 with a lot of real audio and working this way the app is a delight. It is now useable. But, When I’d finished I switched over to working on a very synth heavy piece. AUV3’s still perform better in Cubasis 2. So for a project heavy on synths and effects the old app is still superior.

Hi @Jamie_Mallender,

Thank you very much for your feedback. Glad to hear, that the update seems to have brought improvements for you.

The issue reported by you and Vortex will be further evaluated. This will take some time, but is on our list!

Thanks again,
    Lars

• @Gratouilli said:

@Gratouilli said:

One (old) question to which I can't find any clear answer and that I don't understand the reason(s)... could you please enlight us about this subject :

• Why the hell it is so difficult, not to say impossible, to sync Cubasis with other apps and the SO CONVINIENT start/stop buttons in Audiobus or AUM 😩🤔 ?

As CB3 is supposed to have been rewritten from scratch, why continuing to deprive us users to this absolute "basic" and necessary fonction 😥 ?... really, tell me if I miss something... but, as I can't even imagine that this could be because of lack of coding knowledge, I just can't understand such a choice from Steinberg... 🙏

Hi @Gratouilli,

Thanks for your message.

You are mentioning Ableton Link support, correct?

Best,
    Lars

• @LFS said:

@Jamie_Mallender said:
    Well, the good news is that the horrendous crashes every couple of minutes have been fixed by this update. I recorded a piece today in Cubasis 3 with a lot of real audio and working this way the app is a delight. It is now useable. But, When I’d finished I switched over to working on a very synth heavy piece. AUV3’s still perform better in Cubasis 2. So for a project heavy on synths and effects the old app is still superior.

Hi @Jamie_Mallender,

Thank you very much for your feedback. Glad to hear, that the update seems to have brought improvements for you.

The issue reported by you and Vortex will be further evaluated. This will take some time, but is on our list!

Thanks again,
    Lars

These were sent to you in May. Why did Steinberg spend time working on an Android version when the iOS version had already been released but was still bug ridden, unstable and inferior to Cubasis 2? Fixing the app for people who had already invested their money should have been top priority.

• @LFS

Thank you for the nice update!

I’m a little surprised that even in this update you still can’t create a project into a folder.
    You can create folders and subfolders but Cubasis simply ignores the current folder location.

I create a folder. Then i create a Project folder
    Then i navigate to that folder. I create a new project. Where does it go? To the root level😬
    You always have to manually drag it 1 by 1 for every subfolder you make.
    Same for importing samples.
    I create a folder in a folder. in Audio
    I import a file from audioshare. Where does it go?
    My Audio Files. 🤪

Managing files is not that complicated with a nice folder system and has to work from the beginning of creating and saving stuff. But you are making it impossible to keep stuff in Cubasis organized this way.

Is this on the bug list?
    Hopefully this will be adressed someday 🙌🏻
    Small details with a HUGE workflow improvement.

Thank you!

• @LFS said:

@Gratouilli said:

@Gratouilli said:

Hi @Gratouilli,

Thanks for your message.

You are mentioning Ableton Link support, correct?

Best,
    Lars

Hi @LFS,

I'm more thinking of the "simple" support of a "Receive Midi Clock" option that would allow us to start/stop Cubasis with the global transport controls of Audiobus...

About Ableton Link... I don't understand any possible reason not to support it as I don't think it would make customers leave the Cubasis camp... so, yes, it would definitely be "la cerise sur le gâteau" like we say here in France 😉.

• edited August 2020

Great update and big/great job!!!! But multiple AU midi effects still not work here:

Rozeta Cells feeds Rozeta Arpeggio with « REC to track » enabled only on ARP, nothing is recorded to the track. If « REC to track » is enabled on Cells and not ARP notes are well recorded for first bar then both AU outputs are recorded at the same time for other bars. Makes no sense, still buggy unfortunately :s

Having beta testers like us could be super useful IMO. Less time for your team fixing, less time for us reporting. @LFS

• @tpj said:
    @LFS

I’m a little surprised that even in this update you still can’t create a project into a folder.
    You can create folders and subfolders but Cubasis simply ignores the current folder location.

Then i navigate to that folder. I create a new project. Where does it go? To the root level😬
    My Audio Files. 🤪

Managing files is not that complicated with a nice folder system and has to work from the beginning of creating and saving stuff. But you are making it impossible to keep stuff in Cubasis organized this way.

Is this on the bug list?

Thank you!

This drives me nuts as well! That and I’d like to have a proper “Save/Save As” file system one day.

• LFSLFS
    edited August 2020

@Jamie_Mallender said:

@LFS said:

@Jamie_Mallender said:

Hi @Jamie_Mallender,

Thanks again,
    Lar

These were sent to you in May. Why did Steinberg spend time working on an Android version when the iOS version had already been released but was still bug ridden, unstable and inferior to Cubasis 2? Fixing the app for people who had already invested their money should have been top priority.

Hi @Jamie_Mallender,

We understand your frustration.

Cubasis 3 is based on a new codebase. Both iOS and Android versions are developed and maintained in parallel, to keep the overall efforts manageable for our small team.

The issue reported by you, alongside with Vortex is in progress, but might take some time in regards to development and testing efforts.

As soon as we have news, we will let you and Vortex know about it.

Best,
    Lars

• I'm not 100% sure about this, but it feels like the new updated has slightly decreased resource efficiency, in DSP/CPU that is. I mean, projects that had played without issues in the previous version, now cause some crackling and DSP spiking.

• @AudioGus said:

@blakkaz said:

@AudioGus said:
    Like this?

Thanks!

Yes!

Looks like you can only paste events with the automation window closed though, which isn’t a huge deal.

Thank you thank you!! For some reason just couldn't wrap my head around this. And also I figured it would have been on by default

• @tpj said:
    @LFS

My Audio Files. 🤪

Is this on the bug list?

Thank you!

Ahhh thanks for bringing this one up. I wondered if I was doing something wrong when I tried to import a shed-load of samples. It took me ages to
    get everything in my freshly created folders.
    To my mind this is rather basic functionality that simply should work.
    Not slagging off Cubasis for the sake of it as overall I'm very pleased but there really do seem to be some curious (to me at least) issues and omissions.
    Hopeful that that next few updates will tackle some some workflow biggies as well as 'just' big fixes.

• @LFS, got to work with CB3 last night. Overall, compared to CB2 it has the feel of a more powerful and professional unit. More like a sports car compared to the family sedan. My earlier mixdown issue with CB2, that I wrote you about, seems to be resolved.

It does seem very buggy still with AU plugins and effects. I plugged in Nembrini’s Delay3000 and it went insane. It seems related to, as @god mentioned, very high DSP metering. Several times the entire project cracked out and had to be reloaded. One compensation is the freeze process is much faster for me. That’s a great improvement. CPU usage, contrarily, is rather low, but the DSP is troublesome.

Can you confirm that the recording quality is the same as CB2? My trusty Ravenscroft piano sounds a bit different to me. Not bad...a bit mellower, perhaps. I would say, subjectively, that the recording sounds better in 3, but it may be exactly the same.

I learned how to duplicate a project, but the info is saved every thirty seconds as I understand. I see in settings a toggle for number of histories saved... but how do I access the prior saved files?

The mastering strip is a nice addition, too. I look forward to further expansion of CB3s performance and capability. It's good to know Android and phone users cannow partake of a wonderful and economical recording suite. Many thanks!