Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3.1.2 and Late Summer Sale available (ends Sept 14, 2020)

Comments

• @LinearLineman said:
    @LFS, got to work with CB3 last night. Overall, compared to CB2 it has the feel of a more powerful and professional unit. More like a sports car compared to the family sedan. My earlier mixdown issue with CB2, that I wrote you about, seems to be resolved.

It does seem very buggy still with AU plugins and effects. I plugged in Nembrini’s Delay3000 and it went insane. It seems related to, as @god mentioned, very high DSP metering. Several times the entire project cracked out and had to be reloaded. One compensation is the freeze process is much faster for me. That’s a great improvement. CPU usage, contrarily, is rather low, but the DSP is troublesome.

Can you confirm that the recording quality is the same as CB2? My trusty Ravenscroft piano sounds a bit different to me. Not bad...a bit mellower, perhaps. I would say, subjectively, that the recording sounds better in 3, but it may be exactly the same.

I learned how to duplicate a project, but the info is saved every thirty seconds as I understand. I see in settings a toggle for number of histories saved... but how do I access the prior saved files?

The mastering strip is a nice addition, too. I look forward to further expansion of CB3s performance and capability. It's good to know Android and phone users cannow partake of a wonderful and economical recording suite. Many thanks!

Hi Mike @LinearLineman,

Thank you for your short Cubasis 3 review - greatly appreciated!

Regarding your AU plug-in issue, please give it a try if our Cubasis performance article is of any help to improve the situation: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=300&t=186208

Best wishes,
    Lars

• @god said:
    I'm not 100% sure about this, but it feels like the new updated has slightly decreased resource efficiency, in DSP/CPU that is. I mean, projects that had played without issues in the previous version, now cause some crackling and DSP spiking.

Hi @god,

Thank you for your message.

With Cubasis 3 we've introduced lower Hardware Latency setting options.
    Please check if choosing higher ms values will resolve the problem.

In addition, please have a look if our Cubasis 3 performance article is of additional help for you: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=300&t=186208.

Thanks
    Lars

• @Janosax said:
    Great update and big/great job!!!! But multiple AU midi effects still not work here:

Rozeta Cells feeds Rozeta Arpeggio with « REC to track » enabled only on ARP, nothing is recorded to the track. If « REC to track » is enabled on Cells and not ARP notes are well recorded for first bar then both AU outputs are recorded at the same time for other bars. Makes no sense, still buggy unfortunately :s

Having beta testers like us could be super useful IMO. Less time for your team fixing, less time for us reporting. @LFS

Hi Janosax,

Thank you for your message, we're glad to read that you seem to enjoy the update!

If possible, please let us have a detailed bug report in our Cubasis forum, using our bug form (see below).

We are already in exchange with external beta testers, please drop me a private message if you're interested to join the beta program.

Thanks again,
    Lars

Reporting Form (Feature Requests / Issues)

1. Summary/Title
      (Provide a short but descriptive sentence that summaries the issue or feature request)

2. Description
      (Provide a detailed description and list the step by step process to reproduce the issue to help the team to understand and reproduce the problem)

3. Expected Results
      (Describe what you expected to see)

4. Actual Results
      (Describe what you actually saw)

5. Environment
      (Count the hardware and software including version numbers being used)

• @Gratouilli said:

@LFS said:

@Gratouilli said:

@Gratouilli said:
    @LFS, thanks to the team for this update.

One (old) question to which I can't find any clear answer and that I don't understand the reason(s)... could you please enlight us about this subject :

• Why the hell it is so difficult, not to say impossible, to sync Cubasis with other apps and the SO CONVINIENT start/stop buttons in Audiobus or AUM 😩🤔 ?

As CB3 is supposed to have been rewritten from scratch, why continuing to deprive us users to this absolute "basic" and necessary fonction 😥 ?... really, tell me if I miss something... but, as I can't even imagine that this could be because of lack of coding knowledge, I just can't understand such a choice from Steinberg... 🙏

Is my question "sort of polemic" ? 🤔

Hi @Gratouilli,

Thanks for your message.

You are mentioning Ableton Link support, correct?

Best,
    Lars

Hi @LFS,

I'm more thinking of the "simple" support of a "Receive Midi Clock" option that would allow us to start/stop Cubasis with the global transport controls of Audiobus...

About Ableton Link... I don't understand any possible reason not to support it as I don't think it would make customers leave the Cubasis camp... so, yes, it would definitely be "la cerise sur le gâteau" like we say here in France 😉.

Hi @Gratouilli,

Cubasis already provide MIDI Clock support, so what is missing in detail?

About Ableton Link... I don't understand any possible reason not to support it as I don't think it would make customers leave the Cubasis camp... so, yes, it would definitely be "la cerise sur le gâteau" like we say here in France 😉.

If it would be an easy task, be assured it would be included already.
    It has nothing to do with Ableton here...

Best,
    Lars

• @LFS said:

@god said:
    I'm not 100% sure about this, but it feels like the new updated has slightly decreased resource efficiency, in DSP/CPU that is. I mean, projects that had played without issues in the previous version, now cause some crackling and DSP spiking.

Hi @god,

In addition, please have a look if our Cubasis 3 performance article is of additional help for you: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=300&t=186208.

Thanks
    Lars

Hey Lars,

Thank you for the quick response, Lars.

I always have been opting for the higher ms values in the latency setup. My previous comment was not general but more specific, meaning the same project with same settings config, that worked fine in the last version, has decreased performance and experiencing issues in the newest version. Basically, performance is noticeably decreased. That’s all.

• LFSLFS
    edited August 2020

Dear all,

Hopefully you are up and well!

Thank you very much for your positive feedback about our previous Cubasis 3.1.2 updates.
    We do our best to make Cubasis better with every update, and will keep up doing so...

We've thought it was about time to produce a new Cubasis clip, that demonstrates the app and its features in some sort of a song production situation.

Please join our best man Dom Sigalas, plus Iro on vocals, in our brand-new Getting Started with Cubasis clip

Hope you will like the clip!

If you enjoy the update, we would be very pleased about your updated App Store review and rating!

Stay safe,
    Lars

• LFSLFS
    edited August 2020

@god said:

@LFS said:

@god said:

Hi @god,

Thanks
    Lars

Hey Lars,

I always have been opting for the higher ms values in the latency setup. My previous comment was not general but more specific, meaning the same project with same settings config, that worked fine in the last version, has decreased performance and experiencing issues in the newest version. Basically, performance is noticeably decreased. That’s all.

Do you mean the performance has been decreased between the last two updates?
    Normally, this should not be the case and so far we're not aware of this, nor have seen this in our beta and release checks.

Best,
    Lars

• @LFS said:

@god said:

@LFS said:

@god said:

Hi @god,

Thanks
    Lars

Hey Lars,

Normally, this should not be the case and so far we're not aware of this, nor have seen this in our beat and release checks.

Best,
    Lars

Hi Lars,

Yeah, 3.1.1 definitely seems to have been able to “lift“ more than 3.1.2 does. Granted, I’m using an old iPhone 8 Plus, but still.. the difference is noticeable for me.

• Hi Lars, I am a diehard Cubasis fan, as you know. There is no other DAW that would work for me as well as the Steinberg product. I read the article and was pleased to learn that I knew almost all the stuff covered, and it is all accurate and helpful. I do have iPads that are newer and pretty capable with RAM and memory.

However, and it bears further exploration, it seems to me CB2 handles AU plugins better at this point.
    The way around, of course, is freezing tracks which cuts the DSP levels significantly. So, ultimately no problem. The periodic crashes are nothing new and simply requires a little patience. But if you lack patience then iOS is not for you!

I expect CB3 will improve in regard to AU handling as time goes on. From what I understand it is greatly improved from the first version. We lovers of Cubasis are along for the ride, but still, the areas needing improvement must be illuminated by users. Fortunately, your team is very responsive. I look forward to, and will report, my continuing exploration of a great app.

• @god said:

@LFS said:

@god said:

@LFS said:

@god said:

Hi @god,

Thanks
    Lars

Hey Lars,

Normally, this should not be the case and so far we're not aware of this, nor have seen this in our beat and release checks.

Best,
    Lars

Hi Lars,

Yeah, 3.1.1 definitely seems to have been able to “lift“ more than 3.1.2 does. Granted, I’m using an old iPhone 8 Plus, but still.. the difference is noticeable for me.

Hi,

If this is the case, please file a bug report at our forum (Steinberg.net/cubasisforum), and share a Cubasis project with us (Dropbox Link via PM would be fine), which performed better under 3.1.1 compared 3.1.2, to allow our engineering to take a look.

Thanks,
    Lars

• @LFS said:

@god said:

@LFS said:

@god said:

@LFS said:

@god said:

Hi @god,

Thanks
    Lars

Hey Lars,

Best,
    Lars

Hi Lars,

Hi,

If this is the case, please file a bug report at our forum (Steinberg.net/cubasisforum), and share a Cubasis project with us (Dropbox Link via PM would be fine), which performed better under 3.1.1 compared 3.1.2, to allow our engineering to take a look.

Thanks,
    Lars

Hi Lars,

Sadly I can’t do that anymore :( because I made changes to the original file and, even after going back the maximum levels of undo, I couldn’t return to that first load version. Now I’m hoping that it was only I who had this issue and, if it wasn’t just me, that perhaps another user will be able to send a project of its own..

Thanks anyway, though

• Got Cubasis 3 for Android. Figured it's the best value for my needs since I already have Cubasis 2 on iOS.

Now, this raises an interesting question. If I purchased the plugins on iOS for Cubasis, do I need to buy them for Android? Or what happens if I make a project using AUv3 apps on iOS then use it on Android?

Questions, questions...will look into it in my channel.

• Picked this up a couple of days ago. As a full convert of the modular ‘dawless’ setup I can’t imagine using anything other than Xequence as a piano roll, and AB and/or AUM for au tracks with full support for everything and rock solid performance.

However, I’ve been looking for a nice solution to the mixing/mastering stages, so I tried recording all the finished stems for a track in AUM, then importing into Cubasis 3. It really excels at this with nice big faders all on one screen (even on iPhone!), great internal effects, and it’s great to know everything is locked as audio. Very happy I picked this up.

• Is the manual for Cubasis 3 online anywhere? I found an old one for Cubasis 2 at https://www.steinberg.net/fileadmin/files/PRODUCTS/Apps/Cubasis/Cubasis_Help/Index.html

The in-app help is HTML so hoping it's also online somewhere. The way that it resets to the home page every time you load it is... not wonderful when trying to reference something.

• @syrupcore said:
    Is the manual for Cubasis 3 online anywhere? I found an old one for Cubasis 2 at https://www.steinberg.net/fileadmin/files/PRODUCTS/Apps/Cubasis/Cubasis_Help/Index.html

The in-app help is HTML so hoping it's also online somewhere. The way that it resets to the home page every time you load it is... not wonderful when trying to reference something.

+1 I've said something about this twice and @LFS has completely ignored it both times. I guess its not a priority.....

• I don't mean to appear to be "piling-on," @Lars, however I picked-up Cubasis LE back when it was first released and upgraded to the full version 3.

Since that time, not a single update has appeared for me in the App Store. If it weren't for following this forum, I still would have had no idea of the updates and still would be suffering through the buggy first release.

Hopefully this issue can be easily rectified. My heart goes out to all those who upgraded to full 3 and have no idea there have been numerous upgrades to the app. I can only imagine their frustration and possible negative App Store reviews.

I haven't yet dug into the latest edition update, but it sounds like it solves a number of issues I've personally experienced, so thank you!

I realize your team is small and probably completely overwhelmed due to COVID, but know we are all hoping for your continued success!

• @LFS Thank the team for their work. The squeaky wheels here do a terrific (free!) job sharing their findings and thoughts with you, but many of us just use the product and enjoy doing so, but probably don't squeak as much. I bought 3 because you guys had relentlessly delivered improvements on 2. I look forward to the same going forward. Thanks again.

• @god said:

@LFS said:

@god said:

@LFS said:

@god said:

@LFS said:

@god said:

Hi @god,

Thanks
    Lars

Hey Lars,

Best,
    Lars

Hi Lars,

Hi,

Thanks,
    Lars

Hi Lars,

Sadly I can’t do that anymore :( because I made changes to the original file and, even after going back the maximum levels of undo, I couldn’t return to that first load version. Now I’m hoping that it was only I who had this issue and, if it wasn’t just me, that perhaps another user will be able to send a project of its own..

Thanks anyway, though

Hi,

If you stumble on this again, please get in touch!

Best,
    Lars

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @LFS Thank the team for their work. The squeaky wheels here do a terrific (free!) job sharing their findings and thoughts with you, but many of us just use the product and enjoy doing so, but probably don't squeak as much. I bought 3 because you guys had relentlessly delivered improvements on 2. I look forward to the same going forward. Thanks again.

Thank you very much @JohnnyGoodyear! We appreciate your kind feedback!

Best,
    Lars

• LFSLFS
    edited August 2020

@SNystrom said:
    I don't mean to appear to be "piling-on," @Lars, however I picked-up Cubasis LE back when it was first released and upgraded to the full version 3.

Since that time, not a single update has appeared for me in the App Store. If it weren't for following this forum, I still would have had no idea of the updates and still would be suffering through the buggy first release.

Hopefully this issue can be easily rectified. My heart goes out to all those who upgraded to full 3 and have no idea there have been numerous upgrades to the app. I can only imagine their frustration and possible negative App Store reviews.

I haven't yet dug into the latest edition update, but it sounds like it solves a number of issues I've personally experienced, so thank you!

I realize your team is small and probably completely overwhelmed due to COVID, but know we are all hoping for your continued success!

Hi @SNystrom,

Impotant note:
    Cubasis LE 3 and Cubasis 3 are always updated in parallel, including issues and features affecting the Full Feature Set IAP of Cubasis LE!

Same goes for the Android version.
    Same took place in the past with Cubasis 2/Cubasis LE 2.

Please make sure to double check Cubasis LE in the App Store, to grab the free update(s).

Please get in touch if the problem persists.

Best,
    Lars

• @Lil_Stu07 said:

@syrupcore said:
    Is the manual for Cubasis 3 online anywhere? I found an old one for Cubasis 2 at https://www.steinberg.net/fileadmin/files/PRODUCTS/Apps/Cubasis/Cubasis_Help/Index.html

+1 I've said something about this twice and @LFS has completely ignored it both times. I guess its not a priority.....

Hi @Lil_Stu07, Hi @syrupcore,

Thanks for your messages.

As of yet, the Cubasis 3 help is exclusively available as an in-app help version.

Best,
    Lars

• LFSLFS
    edited August 2020

@LinearLineman said:
    Hi Lars, I am a diehard Cubasis fan, as you know. There is no other DAW that would work for me as well as the Steinberg product. I read the article and was pleased to learn that I knew almost all the stuff covered, and it is all accurate and helpful. I do have iPads that are newer and pretty capable with RAM and memory.

However, and it bears further exploration, it seems to me CB2 handles AU plugins better at this point.
    The way around, of course, is freezing tracks which cuts the DSP levels significantly. So, ultimately no problem. The periodic crashes are nothing new and simply requires a little patience. But if you lack patience then iOS is not for you!

I expect CB3 will improve in regard to AU handling as time goes on. From what I understand it is greatly improved from the first version. We lovers of Cubasis are along for the ride, but still, the areas needing improvement must be illuminated by users. Fortunately, your team is very responsive. I look forward to, and will report, my continuing exploration of a great app.

Thanks again, Mike @LinearLineman,

We will do our best to make the app better with every update, and the team already works in the next update!

In this regard, bug reports (using our bug form below) are of great help to resolve current issues.
    Once our engineers are able to see the issues themselves, there is a good chance to have them solved.

Enjoy using Cubasis 3!

Best
    & stay healthy,
    Lars

Reporting Form (Feature Requests / Issues)

1. Summary/Title
      (Provide a short but descriptive sentence that summaries the issue or feature request)

2. Description
      (Provide a detailed description and list the step by step process to reproduce the issue to help the team to understand and reproduce the problem)

3. Expected Results
      (Describe what you expected to see)

4. Actual Results
      (Describe what you actually saw)

5. Environment
      (Count the hardware and software including version numbers being used)

• @tpj said:
    @LFS

Thank you for the nice update!

I’m a little surprised that even in this update you still can’t create a project into a folder.
    You can create folders and subfolders but Cubasis simply ignores the current folder location.

I create a folder. Then i create a Project folder
    Then i navigate to that folder. I create a new project. Where does it go? To the root level😬
    You always have to manually drag it 1 by 1 for every subfolder you make.
    Same for importing samples.
    I create a folder in a folder. in Audio
    I import a file from audioshare. Where does it go?
    My Audio Files. 🤪

Managing files is not that complicated with a nice folder system and has to work from the beginning of creating and saving stuff. But you are making it impossible to keep stuff in Cubasis organized this way.

Is this on the bug list?
    Hopefully this will be adressed someday 🙌🏻
    Small details with a HUGE workflow improvement.

Thank you!

Hi @tpj,

Thanks for your message. Did you posted the same topic at our Steinberg Cubasis forum, which I‘ve already commented?

If so, the issue is planned to be resolved in the next update.

CBT-2085: New project and imported files should go into the current folder

Best,
    Lars

• @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks, @uncledave. Very avuncular of you.

What you did. It was seen.

• @LFS said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

@syrupcore said:

As of yet, the Cubasis 3 help is exclusively available as an in-app help version.

Best,
    Lars

Yes and per 2 previous posts, the search functionality does not function on my iPad.

Please see my earlier post on this thread.

• @receder said:
    @LFS thanks for the update. I have Cubasis 2 with all IAPs and Cubasis 3 LE as I have a Steinberg interface. If I do the upgrade to full CB3 can I use the IAPs from CB2 or do I have to buy CB3 versions of them? Thanks

Also looking for an answer to this question. I purchased a few IAPs with Cubasis 2, and have a zoom interface that can unlock Cubasis 3 LE. What I've read online points to it actually not being possible to transfer IAPs from Cubasis 2 to an upgraded Cubasis 3 LE.

• @LFS said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

@syrupcore said:

Best,
    Lars

Thanks for the reply. Since the existing "Cubasis Help" URL (https://www.steinberg.net/fileadmin/files/PRODUCTS/Apps/Cubasis/Cubasis_Help/Index.html) doesn't actually indicate a version, maybe ya'll can just swap out the files there? :)

Technically, I understand why the WebView resets to the start page when you open it in-app. Is what it is. So... a request to host it online somewhere. FWIW, I'm a big fan of HTML help over PDF help but not making it available online diminishes the value of HTML>PDF for end users (in my opinion anyway). Indeed, since it's HTML, why not just make the app's help button a link to a webserver instead of needing to maintain separate webviews for android and iOS? Can update the documentation without needing to build and ship a new release, etc.

• I just bought CB3, there is some nice improvement from CB2 but also some weird behaviour change.

@LFS why when I copy/paste a midi pattern the original and the copy are both selected. You then have to unselect them to reselect the copy to move it. That is extremely annoying.

• @ecou said:
    I just bought CB3, there is some nice improvement from CB2 but also some weird behaviour change.

@LFS why when I copy/paste a midi pattern the original and the copy are both selected. You then have to unselect them to reselect the copy to move it. That is extremely annoying.

Yes!

• wimwim
    edited August 2020

@SNystrom said:
    I don't mean to appear to be "piling-on," @Lars, however I picked-up Cubasis LE back when it was first released and upgraded to the full version 3.

@SNystrom - I simply do not see how that is possible for a single app, assuming you’re getting update notices for other apps, and I’m positive that there is nothing whatsoever that the developer can do about it. When they release an update it is global. They have no connection whatsoever to individual users. The App Store handles everything.

Is it possible that you bought Cubasis LE while signed in under a different Apple ID? Are you certain that Notifications are turned on for the App Store? Are you definitely getting notifications for other apps?

If none of the above are the cause, then your only recourse is to contact Apple Support because some issue with your Apple account must be the cause.