Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is KORG Gadget still alive?

Comments

• Oh, I see that people love to talk about Gadget. I agree that there is something magical using it. My only concern was (is) that it needs not exactly more sounds but features. I see how fast Zenbeats is developed and I would love to see the same enthusiasm form KORG's side :)

• edited July 2020

@BCKeys The thing is that when I have an idea in my head, the preset scale never matches so I rather got used to the piano roll and not using the Gadget keyboards at all.
    No time to even connect a MIDI keyboard 😉

@Turok I should do that, good point. And load it before closing Gadget so the project will appear as default to start right away 👍🏼

@Gravitas Actually it was always off by exactly the size of the audio buffer in settings.
    KORG should really add a latency slider with positive and negative offset like in AB3 or Groove Rider so it works better with hardware and software.
    Jim has already built a better Electribe 2, they should ask him how to improve MIDI clock too 😉

• @rs2000 said:
    @BCKeys The thing is that when I have an idea in my head, the preset scale never matches so I rather got used to the piano roll and not using the Gadget keyboards at all.
    No time to even connect a MIDI keyboard 😉

I hear you on that. 😁

@Gravitas Actually it was always off by exactly the size of the audio buffer in settings.
    KORG should really add a latency slider with positive and negative offset like in AB3 or Groove Rider so it works better with hardware and software.
    Jim has already built a better Electribe 2, they should ask him how to improve MIDI clock too 😉

I only noticed it when I recently tried to
    run it using AUM's midi clock to be fair.

I'm cool with Korg sorting it out and in the process of
    discovery it inspired me to use an overall offset using
    dRambo's delay module for when I loopback audio
    via my external audio interface.

I would really love a very simple plugin similar to,
    'Stereo lag time', which can offset in stereo equally
    rather than either channel which ,'Stereo Lag time', does.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/stereo-lag-time/id1459615373

• @LeonKowalski said:
    Well, to a certain extent it's the users that keep it alive. And they still do, as far as I can tell. Well, at least I do...😉

Apart from that, it still runs smoothly and almost bug-free, so it seems as if Korg does enough maintenance to keep it running. Okay, if they opened it for AUv3 plugins, that would be even nicer...

If they did that it could become my DAW of choice.

• My guitar hasn't been updated in 45 years -- except a bug fix release two years ago to replace a faulty switch -- and is still a great guitar.

• Still the fastest, most inspiring compositional app on ipad for me.

• @Poppadocrock said:

@LeonKowalski said:
    Well, to a certain extent it's the users that keep it alive. And they still do, as far as I can tell. Well, at least I do...😉

Apart from that, it still runs smoothly and almost bug-free, so it seems as if Korg does enough maintenance to keep it running. Okay, if they opened it for AUv3 plugins, that would be even nicer...

If they did that it could become my DAW of choice.

Mine too.

• Main reason I got it (apart from the lush and simple sounds) was the portrait mode on iPhone, really nice to put ideas together when lounging about, zenbeats would get a lot more use from me if it had the same thing...

• I Wish more develops would look at how gadget laid out the piano roll and the instrument in the top/bottom layout. It’s looks almost like it was built to be productive and have everything on one screen. Thats the best part. Not having to click to get to the piano roll is a huge plus.

My only complaints would be internal sampling is needed and a an update to Vancouver and an au gadget and always more fx slots possibly au fx and it’s complete.

Only bug I find and it happens after every update is pretty much my samples disappear but the midi is still there. Got in the habit of naming tracks with the sample name so I know what the sample is for when it does it to me again.

Gadget produces a certain sound that I love. And using it which chord poly app for chords is a must if you haven’t tried that.

• @stormywaterz said:
    Gadget produces a certain sound that I love. And using it which chord poly app for chords is a must if you haven’t tried that.

Is the setup with chord poly as simple as it sounds?

• IMHO Gadget is still the quickest way to lay down ideas and I don’t have a problem with the sequencer, I really enjoy the sequencer, it just works for me, and the best part is Gadget is very stable, just wish we had better sampler options, particularly time stretching.

• It’s the most stable all-in-one music environment on my iPAD - - very efficient to work with, straight to the point. While it’d be nice to have new features, I’m personally fine with where it’s at now, frozen as a reliable workhorse.

I can’t recall any crashes at all in the last year or two - can’t say that about many other apps.

• edited July 2020

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@stormywaterz said:

If I can do it yes lol not good with the routing but open gadget then chord poly and then in chord poly switch it to gadget out I believe and there you go. The hard part I guess is hitting record and then switching to the app to use. Wish I could use it in GarageBand or beathawk. Especially Beathawk if anyone knows how let me know Please :)

• @stormywaterz said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@stormywaterz said:

If I can do it yes lol not good with the routing but open gadget then chord poly and then in chord poly switch it to gadget out I believe and there you go. The hard part I guess is hitting record and then switching to the app to use. Wish I could use it in GarageBand or beathawk. Especially Beathawk if anyone knows how let me know Please :)

Thanks for the tip. I will go and get confused trying it in Beathawk too as a matter of solidarity :)

• @stormywaterz said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@stormywaterz said:

ChordPolyPad has slide over view @stormywaterz, no need to switch between apps, it works great

• @biggtiny said:

@stormywaterz said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@stormywaterz said:

ChordPolyPad has slide over view @stormywaterz, no need to switch between apps, it works great

Say what!!! I will give that a try will make a lot easier

• Ok I think chord poly app connection is broken with gadget

• @stormywaterz said:
    Ok I think chord poly app connection is broken with gadget

Are you sure? Works great here.

• @stormywaterz said:
    Only bug I find and it happens after every update is pretty much my samples disappear but the midi is still there. Got in the habit of naming tracks with the sample name so I know what the sample is for when it does it to me again.

I have just fired up Gadget after a long hiatus and noticed this issue, missing samples in my user kits...and the names are N/A for the samples!

Anyone know how to restore?

• edited August 2020

I used to hum melodies and tap drum patterns on a table or something into my LG flip phone voice memos to document them in the mid 00’s.

I’m spoiled now by the fact that I can sequence a whole song on the equivalent device- really has changed my life since Gadget came out.

Exporting to Ableton Live is super easy to get it into my Desktop based studio as Midi/Gadget VST’s. Arrange there, maybe change out the synths and then export it to Pro Tools to mix.

I do mess with Cubasis and the Moogs and other synth apps but Gadget is for sure the go to to develop an idea quickly.

• @DaveMagoo said:

@stormywaterz said:

I have just fired up Gadget after a long hiatus and noticed this issue, missing samples in my user kits...and the names are N/A for the samples!

Anyone know how to restore?

Happens to me all the time. Hope you remember where you had what. I started naming the samples in the track view so if it happens again I know what to look for. Good thing is all your samples are in the library. Hope you dont have like a thousand in there like I did still haven’t recovered half my beats that had samples in it.

• @WillieNegus said:
    I view and use Gadget a lot like Maschine. The Gadget ecosystem is one instrument to me that I use to get songs started and then export the audio file as if it were a solo instrument. All effects, sequencing done elsewhere.

In that way, it’s complete for me and doesn’t need much more imo. If Gadget released an AU upgrade for each of its synths it would be a great way to satisfy some users and make money but I probably wouldn’t buy it because it wouldn’t change or improve how I use gadget at all and I have enough modern AU synths that I don’t need anything from Gadget any place else but in Gadget.

Agree with this as regards Gadget. I am a n00b with Maschine and am enjoying playing with it as is, where do you prefer to move stuff from once developed there? Ableton?

• Do you use gadget in maschine?

• edited August 2020

@WillieNegus
    Interesting. After watching a number of videos about different hardware grooveboxes and software controllers, Maschine Mk3 really seems to be the most fun to work with.

• @WillieNegus said:

@rs2000 said:
    @WillieNegus
    Interesting. After watching a number of videos about different hardware grooveboxes and software controllers, Maschine Mk3 really seems to be the most fun to work with.

This x100. I’ve been an akai guy most of my life from MPC 2000 to Live stand-alone to Push2 for Ableton. I avoided even trying Mk3 for years thinking nothing could touch Push 2/Ableton integration. Man o Man was I wrong.

I can’t and wouldn’t compare Maschine Software alone to Logic, Ableton or any full daw as it isn’t intended to be that...yet. CEO says it is coming by years end but I’ll always view it more as an instrument regardless.

Now that I’ve created custom templates in Logic for my various workflows in Maschine I’ve never had this much fun creating. Literally excited to create everyday for the first time in a decade.

Still love my Akai products and Ableton but they haven’t been used since I got Mk3 and updated to Logic 10.5 in March. Match made in heaven.

AND ... there is a supposed update coming to Maschine software this year. Good times ahead.

• edited August 2020

@WillieNegus said:
    Yup...update in beta now. Are you on the Maschine train also @kinkujin ? I think I’ve seen @RajahP over on the Ni forum. I believe @MonzoPro and @JohnnyGoodyear has had one for some time now if I’m not mistaken.

I wonder how many other members are aboard. I’ll be releasing some content soon. Perhaps we should create a Maschine/iOS thread for tips and workflow hacks. I still use hella iOS apps in my workflow and also use Logic Remote to control the DaW while Maschine accounts for almost everything else.

Yup, but I'm at the beginning of my journey, no excuse I've had it for awhile. I think a Maschine Support Group would be cool.

Oh and I too love Gadget. Trying to suss out how to work it into my non-ios flow as well.

• edited August 2020

Can gadget compete with komplete? I have maschine 1 but haven’t used cpu since I began iOS journey. I spent prob 2k on maschine and Komplete but hate being tied to cpu. If they make a portable maschine and can use iPad then gadget would be my replacement for komplete. Komplete has a lot instruments that are good but some I never use but gadget prob has the best library for my use.

• @stormywaterz said:
    Can gadget compete with komplete? I have maschine 1 but haven’t used cpu since I began iOS journey. I spent prob 2k on maschine and Komplete but hate being tied to cpu. If they make a portable maschine and can use iPad then gadget would be my replacement for komplete. Komplete has a lot instruments that are good but some I never use but gadget prob has the best library for my use.

I wouldn't say Gadget would compete with Komplete. I view Gadget as more "get shit done quick" and the beauty is the integration of the whole package. Komplete exists outside of any DAW. I find it a bit unwieldy at times and the whole preset thing is an irritant to me. You can do it all in Gadget, if you like, but with Komplete it's always this big, lumbering suite of good stuff but it will always be this big production. This according to my experience so far.

I really do like both if it doesn't seem that way.

• I'm always confused when some suggest that Gadget can't really be used to make full songs or is simply a groovebox. It has an unlimited number of tracks, 11 synths, 4 drum machines, a guitar amp sim, a bass amp sim, audio track capability, and a rompler. It's completely portable, has MIDI in/out, Ableton Link, 5 fx slots + instrument FX, stem export, and IAP for more sounds/samples. People have done a lot more with a lot less lol.

It's also apples and oranges comparing a $40 app to a $1000+ studio instrument suite :lol:

Not trying to come off like a hater, just seems like Gadget gets undervalued for how insane it is. Do people just not gel with the workflow and can't finish a track?

• edited August 2020

@WillieNegus said:
    Yup...update in beta now. Are you on the Maschine train also @kinkujin ? I think I’ve seen @RajahP over on the Ni forum. I believe @MonzoPro and @JohnnyGoodyear has had one for some time now if I’m not mistaken.

Yeah I've got a Mk3, though I've just got it hooked up as an audio interface at the moment. I stopped using it when I moved over to Ableton, as my 2012 MBP CPU couldn't handle running it as a plugin. I've got a new laptop now though, so maybe I should fire it up in that one - the sample editing is excellent - feel a bit guilty about not using it to its full potential...