Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is KORG Gadget still alive?

The title is provocative of course, but I don't see any news from them, and I was considering buying their plugins for Win and Mac. Well I know that this kind of company will not disappear but I think that they just don't care about iOS as in last years

Comments

• Well, to a certain extent it's the users that keep it alive. And they still do, as far as I can tell. Well, at least I do...😉

Apart from that, it still runs smoothly and almost bug-free, so it seems as if Korg does enough maintenance to keep it running. Okay, if they opened it for AUv3 plugins, that would be even nicer...

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

If it still works then it's still alive.

The great thing about Korg is their apps are largely stable, and if they're not they have always made them so. I see no reason for this to change. Every Korg app I have still works as well as ever, no matter how old.

The bad thing about Korg is they almost never look backward and add features to their apps. Gadget can seem like more of an exception to this than it is. There have actually been some feature improvements to Gadget itself and some free Gadgets have been introduced, but the rest have been introduction of new Gadgets at cost.

So ... is Gadget dead? I very much doubt it unless you define dead as not getting regular feature updates. If that's the case then I say:

• I thought they switched focus to the Switch platform or something like that?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @BCKeys said:

@CracklePot said:
    I thought they switched focus to the Switch platform or something like that?

I think there's more future to look forward to for MacOS/iOs/Windows than for the Nintendo Switch, especially in the CAM market.

I don't know if Gadget's dead, but in my heart it is. Too much waiting, too many gaps, and so satisfied with GB and plugins, it's a pity because it's so stable and well thought out!

In any case, Module continues to evolve, maybe it's a sign that Gadget is not definitively abandoned...

How is Module evolving other than adding IAP packs?

• Every time I open up Gadget I sort of just get going on something. It feels almost magical. I do have my frustrations with it but I think it's a marvel of behemoth of an app. But yet still feels light and quick and ... ok yes I do love it.

That being said, I've been spending much more time on the desktop of late and well, the productivity shows (as I'm learning new programs).

• Wasn’t there a similar discussion 2 months ago?
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/39156/what-happened-to-korg-gadget/p1

I hope KORG keeps supplying it fresh oxygen on iOS (seems popular on Switch) cause I love it.

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

@BCKeys said:
    @wim I see it like an evolution, don’t you ?
    In any case, it’s a proof it’s not totally abandoned :)
    They added multilayer last year, it’s just a sound module and it works great, I don’t imagine how it could be better except AUv3 addition.

Good point on the multilayer. 👍🏼

That's why I asked 'cause I couldn't think of anything other than IAPs ... which I don't consider evolution but separate "apps" in a way.

• I wonder if @davis_korgrd has anything to say on the matter. :)

• edited July 2020

Releasing Apps/Gadgets as AU is nice. I hope/bet more of that is coming now that they dipped their toes. Korg knows the writing on the wall probably and they are sitting on a mountain of what would be sweet AUs.

• edited July 2020

There is nothing that can’t be done with Gadget (capital for respect)...it has every sound in there that you could possibly want and if I was only allowed to pick one app to use for the rest of my years I would pick Gadget (there it is again) because there is no disappointment...ever...I always find a way...it’s sooo juicy.

• I recently contacted Korg in regards to Gadget and midi sync.

They replied promptly and said they're going to fix
    it by the next update so I take that as it's far from dead.

It hasn't ever crashed on me.
    I can use it as a sequencer, groovebox
    and multi-timbral synth and that's with the stock sounds.

Will they implement auv3?
    No idea.
    Will it stand the test of time?
    Considering they ported it across to desktops
    rather than the other way around and most probably
    looking at updating it to work with the new macOS and ARM cpu's
    that are going to making an appearance rather soon?

I'd say it's got plenty of life left in yet.

• I still love Gadget, it's the most useful iOS music app for me hands down.

• I still use it a ton, I love it

• iElectribe was one of the apps the first iPad launched with. It still works fine, so I’m sure Gadget will stay alive at least until October.

• Love the Gadget.. Hate the sequencer in iOS... It would be nice if they gave an option of traditional way to record into the sequencer.. Like Cubasis, Auria Pro for example.. I have use Windows 10 Gadget into Ableton live 10 if I want to use Korg Gadget when making a track.. I think Korg Gadget sequencer is “Pony!”...

• +1 for the best composition tool. Not much that can't be done, very straightforward and powerful.
    The only annoying "feature" is that I constantly have to disable chords, scales and change the setting to actually display a chromatic scale keyboard on the gadgets. Plain stupid not to be able to set a default scale used in every new project, apart from not being able to define custom scales.

• @Gravitas said:
    I recently contacted Korg in regards to Gadget and midi sync.

What exactly was the issue again?

• Gadget is great. One of the few apps I still use regularly. The sequencer Isn’t the best for linear compositions, but for pattern-based work it’s fine. I think of Gadget more as a Groovebox than a DAW. Mostly I build loops and loopsets that I export and mix in other apps.

• The auto name generator is another reason I love it. Always accurate in my case.

• @rs2000 said:
    +1 for the best composition tool. Not much that can't be done, very straightforward and powerful.
    The only annoying "feature" is that I constantly have to disable chords, scales and change the setting to actually display a chromatic scale keyboard on the gadgets. Plain stupid not to be able to set a default scale used in every new project, apart from not being able to define custom scales.

I just set up the project as I need and saved it as "start up ..." I start each session by opening this project, at the end of the work I use "save as"

• Gadget gets regular bugfix updates so not "dead" as in unmaintained. Could use various improvements - IMO mainly to allow using the Gadget synths as plugins in other apps - this is already possible in the desktop version so it seems like a no-brainer. The Electribe Wave was converted to an AUv3 earlier this year so it seems this is happening slowly...

• edited July 2020

In my opinion, this is the best thing on the IOS in terms of the totality of capabilities, stability and ease of use. And yes, for me it's groovebox and not DAW too.

• @R_2 said:
    The auto name generator is another reason I love it. Always accurate in my case.

Oh dear, that’s not woke enough for today’s generation.

• @rs2000 said:

@Gravitas said:
    I recently contacted Korg in regards to Gadget and midi sync.

What exactly was the issue again?

The issue is that Gadget isn't syncing properly
    to external midi clock since the most recent
    update which they have now confirmed.
    It's off by a couple of milliseconds.

• @rs2000 said:

I agree.

• i wish i could load my non korg synths and effects into gadget cuz it is an amazing dawbox , probably the best on ios. so easy to get tracks going i just dont particularly care for most of its actual instruments or effects... but that environment with my auv3s , whew it would be power