Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Elliot Garage’s new app is called “sEGments”

Comments

• I haven’t found a way yet to use the samples in other apps without using his apps besides resampling thru another app which defeats the purpose. It doesn’t play well with others unless you have pulse from what I see. Hopefully I’m wrong.

• Maybe @ElliottGarage would consider a bundle with Pulse so that even users with no interest in Pulse could still take advantage?

• Regarding using the samples with other apps...

The saved sEGments and EG Pulse presets are just 'zip files' so change the file-extension to .zip, extract the zip-archive and pick out the samples...

• @Samu said:
    Regarding using the samples with other apps...

The saved sEGments and EG Pulse presets are just 'zip files' so change the file-extension to .zip, extract the zip-archive and pick out the samples...

Neat!

• @Samu said:
    Regarding using the samples with other apps...

Ah, nice tip. Thx!

• Do I save them as .zip... Do I do that when saving in segments. Where will I find the zip file. In files app I don't see a segments folder. Sorry for bad English phone screened smashed, .
    Thanks in advance

• @Nicebutfun said:
    Do I save them as .zip... Do I do that when saving in segments. Where will I find the zip file. In files app I don't see a segments folder. Sorry for bad English phone screened smashed, .
    Thanks in advance

Export the preset from sEGments and save it in Audioshare or Documents as an example...
    (It might even work directly in Files.app but I don't remember it showing the file extension so renaming could be a bit tricky).

• @pedro said:
    I’m on the fence buying this app, on one hand I love Elliot’s apps, always top notch and great value for money. On the other I’m not sure it fits my usage case. Can you help me understand if it does what I’d like using it for?

Here’s the scenario: I like to record long samples with a synth or whatever, where I jam without a metronome, trying different ideas. I end up with perhaps a 5 min sample, then I select the good parts and make loops out of it.

Here’s my questions:

1. Does it handle long samples well (3 to 5 min)?

2. I might end up with different samples at different tempos on the same audio file, can I isolate the loops I want, and have each at its own tempo?

3. After I’m done selecting the good parts of the sample, can I delete the other parts to save memory? I realize trimming isn’t possible yet, but is it on the roadmap? Actually, trimming isn’t really what I want cause the rubbish parts are in the middle, sometimes I might play the same riff several times until I get it right. I can of course edit the sample first, on twistedwave, for instance, but it takes precious time I don’t have, and I’d rather do it here, and use the transient detection, and also avoid duplicating samples in every app, which is the thing that bothers me most.

4. Can the slices be easily exported other than to EG pulse (which I don’t have, but could consider buying)? Seems not possible ATM, but again, is it planned?

If it can do these 4 points (I can wait for 3 and 4), then I’m sold…

Edit: maybe I didn't explain #2 properly, I mean the source sample will have loops at different tempos, but I'll want every one playing at the same tempo, in other words, time stretching them all to the same tempo, with different amounts of timestrech per slice

1 There have been some reports of longer samples causing issues, it uses RAM, so really will be hardware dependent.

2 No, you would be better placed to use an audio editor to find your loops, then use multiple instances of segments to play them back.

3 No destructive editing yet, and no matter what editing he adds, it wont be enough and somebody will want more, again, you should really find that time to edit in an editor first, if you want to trigger while you edit for context, Beatmaker 3 is your best bet for editing.

4 Not easily, but doable, see @Samu comment above, the developer has mentioned files support, but what is mentioned as coming vs what actually comes is never reliable, real life has a way of kicking in.

• A segments and pulse bundle would be cool.

• @Samu
    Thanks again

• @Turntablist said:

@pedro said:
    I’m on the fence buying this app, on one hand I love Elliot’s apps, always top notch and great value for money. On the other I’m not sure it fits my usage case. Can you help me understand if it does what I’d like using it for?

Here’s the scenario: I like to record long samples with a synth or whatever, where I jam without a metronome, trying different ideas. I end up with perhaps a 5 min sample, then I select the good parts and make loops out of it.

Here’s my questions:

1. Does it handle long samples well (3 to 5 min)?

2. I might end up with different samples at different tempos on the same audio file, can I isolate the loops I want, and have each at its own tempo?

3. After I’m done selecting the good parts of the sample, can I delete the other parts to save memory? I realize trimming isn’t possible yet, but is it on the roadmap? Actually, trimming isn’t really what I want cause the rubbish parts are in the middle, sometimes I might play the same riff several times until I get it right. I can of course edit the sample first, on twistedwave, for instance, but it takes precious time I don’t have, and I’d rather do it here, and use the transient detection, and also avoid duplicating samples in every app, which is the thing that bothers me most.

4. Can the slices be easily exported other than to EG pulse (which I don’t have, but could consider buying)? Seems not possible ATM, but again, is it planned?

If it can do these 4 points (I can wait for 3 and 4), then I’m sold…

Edit: maybe I didn't explain #2 properly, I mean the source sample will have loops at different tempos, but I'll want every one playing at the same tempo, in other words, time stretching them all to the same tempo, with different amounts of timestrech per slice

1 There have been some reports of longer samples causing issues, it uses RAM, so really will be hardware dependent.

2 No, you would be better placed to use an audio editor to find your loops, then use multiple instances of segments to play them back.

3 No destructive editing yet, and no matter what editing he adds, it wont be enough and somebody will want more, again, you should really find that time to edit in an editor first, if you want to trigger while you edit for context, Beatmaker 3 is your best bet for editing.

4 Not easily, but doable, see @Samu comment above, the developer has mentioned files support, but what is mentioned as coming vs what actually comes is never reliable, real life has a way of kicking in.

Thanks for replying.
    Regarding #1 wasn’t it just with cubasis? (which I don’t use anymore, I haven’t bought the new version nor intend to). Good point about memory, I have an air2, but it’s not like it’ll be hour long samples, so no deal breaker.

Number 2 though is a bummer, cause I really wouldn’t want to edit samples elsewhere.

But who am I kidding, I’m gonna buy this, and as @Poppadocrock said, a bundle with pulse would be sweet @ElliottGarage wink wink

• @Poppadocrock said:
    A segments and pulse bundle would be cool.

Pulse with sEGments sampler engine would be nice too (as an IAP)

• edited July 2020

the app is not loading anymore in AUM.... @ElliottGarage

• Loads fine for me in AUM

• App is not loading anymore, nor can load previous progs with seGments... should i delete and re install ?

• Have you tried restarting your device? Always try that first if you haven't already.

• I did yes

• @mlau said:
    I did yes

Are you loading as an AU instrument or AU FX or IAA?

• @gusgranite AU instrument

• @mlau said:
    @gusgranite AU instrument

Does it let you load it for long enough to change the preset?

• @gusgranite no it just doesn’t load the app...

• @mlau said:
    @gusgranite no it just doesn’t load the app...

I wonder if it is trying to reload a sample every time that is crashing it? Can you load it in another daw? With the same sample/preset?

• edited July 2020

Fed up with the resizing bug. Really got in the way of using it last night, had to keep quitting my AUM session, which isn’t an ideal workflow. Doubt I’ll be using this now until there’s a fix.

• @gusgranite workin fine in my iphone

• The app is really not stable, it’s sad cause i really enjoy it A LOT

• @mlau said:
    The app is really not stable, it’s sad cause i really enjoy it A LOT

OK, my point is that it might be a single sample crashing it. And it just keeps trying to reload it. Which is why it works OK on your iPhone. Do you know what the last sample you loaded before the crash was? Maybe try loading it on your iPhone and see if that crashes it as well?

• seem to be getting an issue when recording through ipad mic. large spike in volume before recording anything.

• @gusgranite yeap i just answered .. i did that and it works in my phone

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @d4d0ug here it’s a sample cut in 4 parts... and it was working well until this morning .... also all my projects involving segments in AUM won’t load now ...