Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio Damage Phosphor 3 - RELEASED

1235»

Comments

• @despego said:

@oat_phipps said:

@despego said:

@Gavinski said:
    Ah, hallelujah! Mpe... Finally... Working. Hopefully

Quick test: MPE seems to be working but modulation is not possible to a 100%. So if I want to control Osc 1 amplitude with aftertouch (say) I will never get 100% of volume, I think max is 60%.

I just don't get why?

Is the ADSR sustain set at 60 by any chance?

Changing sustain level doesn't change anything. Still can't fully modulate with aftertouch - I haven't tested other sources.
    Not possible to reset a value in the mod section by double tapping. Difficult to set to wished value.

I'm not in the mood of further testing, sorry. Giving up.

Hey, you don't have to apologize to me! Just thought upon reading that might be it

• I don’t like this synth most the time kinda all sounds the same and metallic thin, has its uses but isn’t my flavor

• @oat_phipps said:

@despego said:

@oat_phipps said:

@despego said:

@Gavinski said:
    Ah, hallelujah! Mpe... Finally... Working. Hopefully

Quick test: MPE seems to be working but modulation is not possible to a 100%. So if I want to control Osc 1 amplitude with aftertouch (say) I will never get 100% of volume, I think max is 60%.

I just don't get why?

Is the ADSR sustain set at 60 by any chance?

Changing sustain level doesn't change anything. Still can't fully modulate with aftertouch - I haven't tested other sources.
    Not possible to reset a value in the mod section by double tapping. Difficult to set to wished value.

I'm not in the mood of further testing, sorry. Giving up.

Hey, you don't have to apologize to me! Just thought upon reading that might be it

Ok, sorry
    🤭

• @reasOne said:
    I don’t like this synth most the time kinda all sounds the same and metallic thin, has its uses but isn’t my flavor

Yeah. Maybe you’re right.
    I was thinking it is simple enough to quickly make a patch. It has those simple nice sine waves that can be easily transformed which I like so much and then I would have added a ton on fx, delay, alteza, TTAP, Blackhole and there you have it, a simple MPE synth... but no, my dreams destroyed, my heart is broken 😩

Wait, I might be exaggerating a bit.

• I love this synth. Top iOS fiver for me, but I don’t give a damn about MPE. That stuff’s for the birds. I’m too set in my ways at this point to care about it.

• @reasOne That thinness makes it good for layering with something fatter. I’ve used it to help things cut through a mix.

• @qryss said:
    @reasOne That thinness makes it good for layering with something fatter. I’ve used it to help things cut through a mix.

i agree with that, i have a couple synths i go to for that i just haven’t been able to get along with this one.. going thru the presets i just can’t get much range but i’m not that great at sound design so i’m not really qualified 😀

• I confess I was drawn to it mainly for what it is an emulation of. That world was inaccessible to me then and it’s nice to have a slice of it finally for a few dollars. But it’s hardly a favourite of mine.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/alphasyntauri.php

• @Gavinski " Is that why none of them except the goddamn default preset seem to be MPE for me even though MPE is turned on?"

it certainly must be. Which means that you first must turn on the MPE button EVERY time you switch presets cuz it turns off when you switch presets (EDIT: seems like this isn't the case anymore, but it used to be), and then, you have to actually program it so it actually responds to MPE. FUCKING WHYYYYYY.

And whoever heard of MIDI settings where you can choose global midi settings vs per preset midi settings?? Certainly not THE PEOPLE ACTUALLY DESIGNING AND CREATING THE MPE SYNTHS

What sense does it make to develop and advertise a synth as highly expressive MPE, hire artists to program synth presets for you, and not require them to make MPE capable presets. Or even bother to assign the cc74, which isn't even necessarily mpe.

I don't understand audio damage, I don't think I'm ever going to buy a synth from them again. Proper MIDI implementation seems to be the most difficult thing for these developers to get right. Simple, obvious little details, details that SHOULD be industry standard, details that make or break a synth in the long run, just don't matter to these guys. Continua had so much potential, it was my go-to synth for a minute, and it actually worked when it first came out. But a few updates later: pitch bend doesn't even work anymore and modwheel and after touch is like a flip of a coin if it will work or not.

Long live Red Means Recording, they must have learned their lesson after the Continua presets they made. And SonalSystem is the only MPE presets in Cypher. So, good job SonalSystem, the only people responsible for Continua being the thing it described itself as, if only for a few months

• I got into > @oat_phipps said:

I love this synth. Top iOS fiver for me, but I don’t give a damn about MPE. That stuff’s for the birds. I’m too set in my ways at this point to care about it.

After a year with iOs, I think you're right. MPE isn't for iOs. It's just a bunch of snake oil

Can't wait for The Osmose...

• Ah, the wonderful world of iOs with a MPE controller

AKA, "is my midi controller broken??? "

• @sclurbs agreed, mpe ios synths are largely just one huge disappointment after another. I wish Roli would just port Equator etc to iOS finally....

• @Gavinski said:. I wish Roli would just port Equator etc to iOS finally....

+1
    Equator is awesome!

• edited August 2020

@Gavinski said:
    @sclurbs agreed, mpe ios synths are largely just one huge disappointment after another. I wish Roli would just port Equator etc to iOS finally....

The thing is though.... I can't really say much better about MPE soft synths on desktops. Like, everything I'm saying about these apps are true for just about every MPE vst3 synth I've seen. Cypher 2, same ol shit. Only it's hundreds of dollars instead of a few bucks. So I can't be too mad. And the hardware MPE synths I've tried all have stupid issues too. So there isn't a good solid option for anyone right now in MPE land, when it comes down to it. If the Osmose fails at being this, I'm leaving the MPE world. If the osmose is the bad bitch I think it is, the ipad will be nothing more to me than an endlessly deep effects pedal, and the ultimate drum machine of drum machines.

• What's wrong with Cypher, it's great! Never had any probs @sclurbs

• @Gavinski said:
    What's wrong with Cypher, it's great! Never had any probs @sclurbs

You get global pitch bend settings? For me every preset is some crazy new number pair, not just +2 or +12, but -5 and +11. Also after touch seems to be something I have to program in...

• Never had those problems. Are u using Cypher? All the mpe presets work perfectly for me out of the box with my seaboards. Still sometimes have problems with stuck notes etc when using 2 seaboards together, but that seems to be a hardware or firmware problem with the seaboard block.

• Both equator and cypher have proven to me to be the best MPE soft synths on desktop. I don’t use them more because they are quite deep and takes a lot to get a nice patch.

Pigments 2 is another good one.

On iOS there is always something lacking. For instance Animoog is rock solid but presets donor work well with external controllers ( while they work perfectly on the built in keyboard)

So yes, I’m still waiting for that iOS synth designed to be played by an external MPE controller.

It’s not Phosphor I’m afraid.

• In my last post I meant to say 'are you using Cypher 2' btw @sclurbs. Haven't tried Cypher, only Cypher 2.

@despego I just got taluno but haven't thoroughly explored the mpe yet

• @Gavinski said:
    In my last post I meant to say 'are you using Cypher 2' btw @sclurbs. Haven't tried Cypher, only Cypher 2.

@despego I just got taluno but haven't thoroughly explored the mpe yet

Ok. Would like to hear when you do. I don’t dare to buy more synths based on their claims to support MPE

• @Gavinski said:
    Never had those problems. Are u using Cypher? All the mpe presets work perfectly for me out of the box with my seaboards. Still sometimes have problems with stuck notes etc when using 2 seaboards together, but that seems to be a hardware or firmware problem with the seaboard block.

Hey, yeah, I'm using Cypher 2. Every time I switch presets the pitch bend settings change. How have you stopped this?

• Not sure I ever did anything to change anything, it just worked. I haven't used it in months though, hardly ever touch my laptop

• weird. Pitch bend settings change EVERY time I change a preset. I can't find a way to save global settings for pitch bend. Maybe because I'm using an earlier version that hasn't been updated in a while?

• And like... aftertouch and stuff works for you?

• Last time I tried, everything worked and it was a superb mpe experience.

• I like it for $3.99. it’s a different type of synthesis to play with (differenent than most iOS synths anyway) It has randomization features, it’s a near recreation of a real synth Alpha Synturi, and it can do some good pads, bells, etc. And I love me some good pads. I was on fence for awhile since I barely ever used Phosphor 2, but it sounds a lot fuller than P2, and a it’s lot easier to get a useful sound Out of. So for $3.99 it’s worth it. If it was $10 Or more I’d probably pass but 4 bucks I finally said screw it.

Is intro sale still going? It’s been on that intro sale for awhile...?

• Does anyone have a clear understanding of how cross modulation is supposed to work when enabled for both oscillators? I've tried setting up the simplest patch:

• Both oscillators: 16 partials, the first one set to max, the rest to zero
    • Both oscillator settings: transpose = 0steps, fine = 0cnt, Level = 0dB/max, pan = 0/center, noise = -60db/min, cross mod = 0
    • No modulation
    • Delay mix: 0
    • ADSR: typical rectangle/organ envelope (all zeroes except for sustain to 100%)

(Here's a link to the patch: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/062HI150ciGMqmiDiuydMy_ng#Simplest)

If I add cross modulation to only one oscillator, I get an FM-like sound which I expect. If I add cross modulation to both, I get unexpected result: the sound is "simpler"/less FM-like, and the same key played multiple times plays wildly different (but stable) pitches. Now, if I tweak the transpose of either oscillator then I get something more like I was expecting. What am I missing?