Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone have a Korg Nu:tekt NTS-1 yet?

Comments

• I might end up making a trip to the local dealer and get an NTS-1 sometime next week.

Just bumped up to this free oscillator for NTS-1 (Volca Bass) that is pretty neat.

And Chips 2.0 is one that I've been drooling over for quite a while now...

But honestly I would so much prefer if Korg dropped a polyphonic iNTS-1 AUv3 (Instrument & FX) and also made it available in Gadget and that 'app' could then load the custom oscillators when needed...

Cheers, it's too HOT my brain is melting...

• @Samu said:
    But honestly I would so much prefer if Korg dropped a polyphonic iNTS-1 AUv3 (Instrument & FX) and also made it available in Gadget and that 'app' could then load the custom oscillators when needed...

I’d love that, so that we could put the “user unit” files in its map in Files (no computer needed).
    Ideally the FX would be available as IFX in Gadget, would like some of those lo-fi delays, etc.
    Might even help Korg sell the hardware ;) > NTS1 > Minilogue XD > Prologue

• @R_2 said:

>

I’d love that, so that we could put the “user unit” files in its map in Files (no computer needed).
    Ideally the FX would be available as IFX in Gadget, would like some of those lo-fi delays, etc.
    Might even help Korg sell the hardware ;) > NTS1 > Minilogue XD > Prologue

I feel they have new units cooking already...
    Minilogue XD is pretty neat and it's already cheaper than 4 NTS-1's at least with the current retail prices here in Sweden :)

• @Samu The XD is great, would’ve already had one (and a Wavestate) if I still had my hardware studio intact.

• Wish the NTS saved settings. Otherwise, it's a fun unit.

• New 'Toy' waiting to get assembled and loaded with a bunch of goodies :D

• Done, it needs to be updated too (Shipped with 1.03, current firmware is 1.20).

Time to play with it...

• R_2R_2
    edited August 2020

@Samu said:
    Not yet, but I'll get one when they are available...

Nice, finally put your money where your mouth is! ;)
    Curious to hear your thoughts eventually, also concerning the custom OSCs, etc.

• @R_2 said:

@Samu said:
    Not yet, but I'll get one when they are available...

Nice, finally put your money where your mouth is! ;)
    Curious to hear your thoughts eventually, also concerning the custom OSCs, etc.

I want it as an AUv3 even more now, especially the effects...
    The output level is quite low. The USB midi-implementation even in the V1.20 firmware is prone to hanging notes, like WTF!

Chips 2, and the Volca Bass oscillators work fine...
    ...also loaded some of the Mutable Instruments things just to check them.

The 3.5mm jack is naturally of the sort where I don't have a properly pinned adapter at hand...
    ...I'll have to check the Electribe 2 box and see if there was an adapter there but seriously, the firmware feels pretty unfinished but hey, it's a 'development box' so we can't expect miracles :D

But the effects sound nice paired with the MicroFreak even though the output level of the NTS-1 needs a. boost...

It's a fun little box :)

• For some strange reason it's more fun to 'sample' simple sounds from an external box than do an export in an app that is already in the box?!

I really don't like to use AUM to record simple sounds, enable R, record the track go to AudioShare and dig out the file move the folder to trash and then empty the trash. it's too much hassle to be honest. The only reason I sometimes use AUM is so I can apply some effects prior to sampling, things like brusfri and some dynamics correction etc.

I'm really starting to hate the AUM/AudioShare 'workflow' for creating samples it's so insanely slow compared to hooking up a device UR-242 and sample stuff in Renoise, BM3 etc. for instant gratification... (I know AUM is not a sampler but we're out of proper options on iOS for now).

Once the BM3 update drops and if it 'fixes' most annoyances I'll be skipping AUM for quite a while when it comes to sampling.

The NTS-1 is so simple, a few oscillators, a filter, mod, delay and reverb that cover a lot of ground and serves as good sampler fodder :)

Cheers!

• @Samu that’s a quick review!
    Does the NTS-1 make you want a Minilogue XD more or not?
    If you ever get to it, I’d be curious to hear how the space/riser/submarine reverbs compare the same ones in Gadget.
    I assume you’re aware of Roll Log’s stuff: https://gumroad.com/l/rolllog_nts1_pack

• @R_2 said:
    @Samu that’s a quick review!
    Does the NTS-1 make you want a Minilogue XD more or not?
    If you ever get to it, I’d be curious to hear how the space/riser/submarine reverbs compare the same ones in Gadget.
    I assume you’re aware of Roll Log’s stuff: https://gumroad.com/l/rolllog_nts1_pack

Will try those tomorrow...

I'd say it makes me want a polyphonic NTS-1 AUv3 & a an accompanying Gadget more than a Minilogue XD!
    Don't like too much hardware as that would require me to get a bigger mixer and/or audio-interface with more inputs and well, I do NOT like that, I like to keep the hardware as simple as possible...

I did give the MPC One a spin and if I didn't already have a computer I would seriously consider it...
    ...the iPad is perfect 'sampler fodder' for it with all the available apps...

Using the more advanced user oscillators is a PITA on the NTS-1, lots of knob twisting and reading cryptic parameter names :D
    (It would be so much easier to program on the iPad, heck even on the Minilogue XD it's a menu diving nightmare).

I can't help to think that Korg is planning a 'Kronos Ultimate' or something that also supports user oscillators and includes a bunch of 'Gadgets' or other types of plug-ins to extend it's functionality. I mean it's still just an old Celeron CPU that runs a custom Linux distro...

Let's hope Korg brings the NTS-1 to iPadOS/iOS...
    Cheers!

• Not iOS but worth every penny for sound editing and patch storing. I’m using the vst version on a pc.

https://www.kvraudio.com/news/momo-releases-korg-nts-1-editor-and-sound-bank---vst-and-standalone-48633

• Stumbled upon “Cain CZ” OSC. Phase distortion like in the Casio CZ serie.
    https://cain-synthesizer.com/cain-cz-2

• @Samu said:
    I'm really starting to hate the AUM/AudioShare 'workflow' for creating samples it's so insanely slow compared to hooking up a device UR-242 and sample stuff in Renoise, BM3 etc. for instant gratification... (I know AUM is not a sampler but we're out of proper options on iOS for now).

I kinda answered in the wrong thread earlier. Repeated here...

Sampling with Drambo Flexi Sampler to files app is quite fast and effective. Setting up the sampler is a piece of cake, and of course you can save it as a project for instant recall. Recording is fast and easy. I don't use threshold detection because of lost transients, but even with immediate record, it takes about 5 seconds to trim a sample. After that, it's just save, then export anywhere in files.app, then swipe to delete in Drambo. About five taps and a swipe. Maybe three seconds total other than typing a name for the file.

Best of all, works in any host.

• @R_2 said:
    Stumbled upon “Cain CZ” OSC. Phase distortion like in the Casio CZ serie.
    https://cain-synthesizer.com/cain-cz-2

It’s quite nice and pretty easy to tweak too.
    Combine it with a crusher/decimator and it gets really dirty :)

• @wim said:

@Samu said:

I kinda answered in the wrong thread earlier. Repeated here...

Sampling with Drambo Flexi Sampler to files app is quite fast and effective. Setting up the sampler is a piece of cake, and of course you can save it as a project for instant recall. Recording is fast and easy. I don't use threshold detection because of lost transients, but even with immediate record, it takes about 5 seconds to trim a sample. After that, it's just save, then export anywhere in files.app, then swipe to delete in Drambo. About five taps and a swipe. Maybe three seconds total other than typing a name for the file.

Best of all, works in any host.

I know, I’m a ‘Drambonian’ ;)

• wimwim
    edited August 2020

Humm. I wonder why you say we’re out of proper options on iOS for now then. I find that sampling workflow just about as good as any I’ve worked with anywhere. What’s missing? (I’m not arguing, I’m trying to learn. )

• @wim said:
    Humm. I wonder why you say we’re out of proper options on iOS for now then. I find that sampling workflow just about as good as any I’ve worked with anywhere. What’s missing? (I’m not arguing, I’m trying to learn. )

For me it's the 'integration' of all functions between the apps.
    For example it's a chore to transfer a simple audio region from a host to an AUv3 plug-in when it should be a simple tap'n'drag'.

In Cubasis as an example you have to save the audio to the media bay then use the Files.app pop-over to drag the file to the AUv3 plug-in. This kind of 'obstacle' doesn't exist on the desktop or if the plug-in was 'integrated' in the host.

Thus if Cubasis gets the Cubase Sampler Track it would be easy to just drag audio to it from internal or external (Files.app pop-over) sources.

The GarageBand sampler accepts Drag'n'Drop from AudioTracks or Files.app pop-over to create a sampler instrument as an example.

It's the current iOS 'sandboxing' that prevents all this at the moment.
    App-2-App Drag'n'Drop works in Split VIew if both apps support it but since the AUv3 is hosted in its own sandbox only iOS functions from a 'split view' or 'pop over' are allowed to communicate with it. (One is not even allowed to do Drag'n'Drop stuff between two AUv3 windows when the host supports it).

Even though Drambo is nice it's far from as polished or fast to work with as Simpler or Quick Sampler in Logic when it comes to sampling and audio editing.

Drambo is per se not a 'Sampler' and one has to create a sampler project and save it as a template first.
    And with the current state of iOS DAWs lacking support multi-input/output AUv3's one would end up with an insane amount of Drambo sessions (one for each 'instrument') and bump into the memory limit of AUv3's pretty darn fast or the CPU goes thru the roof...

So for me it's the lacking app integration part not the 'features' that cause most annoyance...

For example the BM3 sampler does many things right but is missing a few features present in other apps or plug-ins and it quickly becomes a pita to use a plug-in for one feature while the host handles the rest.

When I mess around with Drambo I most of the time use it in stand-alone mode as a 'Groove Box'.
    While AUM and apeMatrix are nice 'playgrounds' I prefer to work 'old school' in a DAW/GrooveBoxes.
    (It's too easy to loose the overview of AUM with endless side-scrolling, apeMatrix gets wonky when the app slots are full and multiple matrixes need to be used and no easy way to move stuff between the matrixes).

Lately I've gone back to my tracker-roots and enjoy Renoise a LOT!
    (It's good to know that the Drambo dev. is an avid Renoise user as well, so there's no need to explain in detail).

And to get back to the NTS-1 topic. It's very fast and easy to create a pattern in Renoise, record/sample the output from the NTS-1, chop it up and just have some fun, and now with the MicFreak getting the Vocoder I spend less with the iPad apart from using it as a sound-module and sampling it via IDAM.

Hope that gives you a bit of insight on how my 'brain' works ;)
    Cheers!
    /Samuel

• Thanks @Samu, it does help. I'm much less of a sample based musician, so it's useful to hear from people that are.

When using Drambo as a sampler in AUM, I put it in the FX slot of a channel that receives from a mix bus, so I only ever need the one instance of Drambo unless I want to do multi-tracking ... which I haven't needed to do, but will be possible when multi-input is ready. The set up is saved as a template so all I ever have to do is make a new project from the template, or even simpler (pun intended), just import an saved AUM channel. Of course, that won't work in Cubasis and other hosts that don't have audio routing. Anyway, I'm to the point where for quick sampling I've got enough of what I need for the light sampling that I do.

Anyway, thanks for the insight.

• edited September 2020

LOL, I still have a few 'slots free' on the NTS-1 to upload stuff to...

https://github.com/boochow/lissa

"
    Lissa is a delay module for Korg Nu:Tekt NTS1 and other synthesizers compatible with logue SDK.

The primary purpose of Lissa is to generate a sweep signal to display the waveform of the input signal on an oscilloscope as a Lissajous figure."

• @Samu said:
    LOL, I still have a few 'slots free' on the NTS-1 to upload stuff to...
    https://github.com/boochow/lissa

Lissa is a delay module for Korg Nu:Tekt NTS1 and other synthesizers compatible with logue SDK.

The primary purpose of Lissa is to generate a sweep signal to display the waveform of the input signal on an oscilloscope as a Lissajous figure."

We already have syncable oscillators but now we really need an X input on Drambo's scope! 😁

• @rs2000 said:

We already have syncable oscillators but now we really need an X input on Drambo's scope! 😁

Or a dedicated XY& scope with option to phase-adjust the inputs...
    We still don't have the option to control the 'start phase' of the Drambo oscillators, just 'reset/sync' them to 0.

To create these 'patterns' we need to be able to control the start-phase of the oscillators (Cosine is just Sine starting at 90°).
    Adding multiple sine-sources at different angles and frequencies is what created the 'sine bobs' back in the demo-scene day...

• I'm too lazy to try and remake this in Drambo when I've already got the NTS-1 :D

• Another nice oscillator to play with Waves2 :)

• This dude really loves his NTS-1 :)

I love mine as well, wish Korg would drop polyphonic AUv3 (Instrument & Effect) of it during 2021.

• Nice vid. The delay feedback sounds better than the ones in Gadget.
    If Korg would release a iNTS-1 supporting custom OSC and FX they could sell it for the same price as their other stand-alones.
    Would be cool to have the FX available as input in Gadget.

• @R_2 said:
    Nice vid. The delay feedback sounds better than the ones in Gadget.
    If Korg would release a iNTS-1 supporting custom OSC and FX they could sell it for the same price as their other stand-alones.

I would buy it and even shell out IAP for making it polyphonic...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4y91v6aff5bym2/NTS-1Loop2120BPM.wav?dl=0
    (Short loop knocked up in LogicPro, and 3 tracks of 'NoFX' NTS-1 using a few custom oscillators).

The Minilogue XD (Desktop) is getting more GASsy for each day that goes by and so is the Moog Subsequent 25...

But I'll keep cool and see what 2021 brings :)

• @Samu said:

@rs2000 said:

Or a dedicated XY& scope with option to phase-adjust the inputs...
    We still don't have the option to control the 'start phase' of the Drambo oscillators, just 'reset/sync' them to 0.

To create these 'patterns' we need to be able to control the start-phase of the oscillators (Cosine is just Sine starting at 90°).
    Adding multiple sine-sources at different angles and frequencies is what created the 'sine bobs' back in the demo-scene day...

Update: The Wavetable Oscillator with factory sine/triangle/sawtooth wavetable now does exactly that.